- Text Size +


Kevin warily opened the door to Jamie’s room, and stepped inside. It had been a rough night for him, spent in a cramped chair in the waiting room. He had tried to come back, but Carlos repeated Jamie’s message that she didn’t want him in the room, and she’d think about seeing him in the morning. He also refused to step aside to let Kevin in. Kevin tried to get around him, but soon discovered what some fans already knew – Carlos was very big and strong and he was very good at keeping people away from his charges when it was necessary.


Dejected and rejected, Kevin had returned to the waiting room, where he set up camp for the night and declined the offers to be taken to his mother’s house. After a quick huddled conversation by the other four, and something resembling a game of rock-paper-scissors, Howie stayed behind with Kevin while the others said goodnight and left the hospital.


"I lost on purpose, but don’t tell the fellas that, will you?" responded Howie to Kevin’s amused thanks for sticking around. "You know I’ll do what I can to help you. I still owe you. If you hadn’t played matchmaker, Alissa might have been just another volunteer helping us out," he said, referring to the foundation fundraiser where he had met his girlfriend the year before.


"Actually Jamie did most of that. I was just following her lead."


"Well, you still got us together, and if I can help you two straighten things out, then I’m repaying Jamie too. It’s all good, bro," smiled Howie. Kevin nodded and the two of them began discussing how to get Kevin back into Jamie’s good graces.


Jamie’s voice shook Kevin from his thoughts. "You just going to stand there, or are you here for a reason?" He sat down in a chair near the foot of her bed and regarded her silently. Jamie was still miffed at him, but she didn’t appear to be breathing fire any longer.


"I came up to see how you are," he said quietly.


"Is that all?" she demanded, and he nodded. She was silent for a moment then said, "I’m fine." The tone of her voice indicated that she expected something else from him, but Kevin wasn’t quite sure what it was.


"Good." The silence that followed was uncomfortable for both of them. Finally, Jamie made an irritated noise before picking up the book she had been reading when Kevin entered the room. Even though Jamie was a fast reader, the speed at which she was flipping pages made it obvious she wasn’t really reading.


"I’m sorry." Jamie looked up at Kevin’s soft words. Raising an eyebrow, she appeared to be skeptical.


"Do you even know why you’re apologizing?"


"I think so."


"You think so?" The skeptical look was momentarily replaced by a half-smile, but it was gone before Kevin could relax. She settled back on the pillows. "This oughta be good then, Kevin. Go on, tell me why."


"I didn’t mean to make you upset last night. I didn’t mean to hurt you, you know I would never intentionally do that to you. I love you, baby."


"Uh huh," she said noncommittally, "and do you know how you hurt me?"


"Jamie, this isn’t a courtroom. You don’t have to cross-examine me," stalled Kevin.


"I know where I am, Kevin, the ache in my shoulder and the wheezing when I breathe keep reminding me. And this is not a cross. I’m just curious if this is an actual apology or just what you think I want to hear."


"You don’t want to hear an actual apology? I thought you would have."


"Yes, I do want one, smart-ass. Although at the moment, all you’re succeeding in doing is making me mad again."


"Sarcasm works for you, so I thought I’d try it," he grinned. She just shook her head, trying not to laugh.


"Since it’s not something I hear often from you, it’s not working. Try again."


"Jamie, I really am sorry for what I said yesterday. I know it’s not your fault we’re here instead of on a sailboat in the Aegean, and I know you can take care of yourself."


"And?" she prompted.


He exhaled, "What else are you looking for, blood? I said I’m sorry, and I’d take it back if I could."


"All of it?"


"No, not all of it. I was serious about the police not doing their job and wanting to protect you. I won’t apologize for feeling that way."


Jamie closed her eyes, and mumbled counting to ten. "I appreciate you wanting to, I do really, but you can’t protect me, Kevin. I don’t even want you to try. It’s not possible."


"It is possible. . ." began Kevin, but the rest of his sentence was cut off by the doctor entering the room.





A gentle tap at the door preceded a blond head appearing in the doorway. "Is the bloodbath over? Is it safe to come in? Or do I need to remove the bodies first?"


Jamie looked up at Nick’s questions. Looking around the empty room, she smiled and waved her hand at him, palm facing her. "Yeah, for now anyway. Come on in Nicky, I promise not to bite your head off. Unless you’re going to say something as stupid as Kevin has lately."


"That’s a promise, my dumbness is different from his sheer stupidity," he grinned. He entered the room, holding his hands behind his back. "Brought you something."


"I figured that. Whatcha got there?" Jamie tried to peek behind Nick, but he moved so she couldn’t see. Jamie winced as she pulled her shoulder while looking. Nick stopped moving immediately, apologized for making her strain herself, and sat on the edge of the bed. His hand came from behind his back to reveal a box of chocolate candy.


Jamie’s eyes lit up. "Oooh, chocolate. You know they haven’t let me have any sugar the entire time I’ve been here. I’m in serious withdrawal." She licked her lips in anticipation as Nick laughed and tossed the box into her lap.


"I’m not gonna stand between you and chocolate. I did that exactly once, and I’m never doing that again."


She giggled, "Smart move on your part, Carter. Here, have some, I’ll be nice and share." She and Nick sat there silently for several minutes as they ate the candy.


"So, Nicky, why are you trying to sweeten me up with the chocolate? What have you done now?"


His expression was a perfect study in innocence. "I haven’t done anything. I have no idea what you mean." She just looked skeptically at him until he couldn’t keep the look on his face. "Oh all right. Maybe I thought if you had some sugar, you’d be just as sweet to Kevin. He’s been through hell the last couple of weeks and he’s taking it out on us."


"He’s been through hell? Excuse me, but I think I’ve been poked by the pitchfork a little more than Kevin."


Nick rolled his eyes, "Yes I know you have. That’s not what I mean. Could you just ease up on the poor guy, please? If not for him, then for me? You know what happens when he gets like this. He looks for his favorite target, and I happen to be the one always wearing the bulls-eye."


"So this is not in consideration of Kevin, but for your poor abused feelings instead? He’d just love it if I forgave him because of you."


"So don’t tell him that." Nick half-smiled at her. She shook her head.


"Doesn’t work that way, and you know it. When I forgive him, it’ll be for him, not you."


"Well, I tried." Nick stood up, and tried taking the box of chocolate. Jamie snarled, and he recoiled in mock fear. He dropped the box back on her lap.


"Oops, forgot about that, sorry. Perhaps I’ll be safer over here."


"No, you won’t. I can get up out of bed now. Your butt is still in danger, boy."


Nick said, "Man, I thought the doctors confined you to bed for a while."


"Got a clean bill of health today. They’re gonna let me even leave here. Looks like we’re going back to Orlando in a couple of days."


"Really? That’s awesome! So we all get to leave Lexington?"


"You could have left anytime you wanted," said a voice from the doorway. Nick whirled around to see Kevin standing there, arms folded over his chest.


"That’s not fair, Kevin. You know I wouldn’t do that. None of us would." said Nick. "Not until we knew Jamie would be well again."


"Yeah, well she is. We’re going home as soon as I can make the arrangements."


"Kevin, if you keep talking about me like I’m not here, I swear I’m going home with Nick," warned Jamie. "You can stay here."


"Yeah, you can come stay with me, Jaim. Or with Bone, he won’t mind," offered Nick. Kevin shook his head. "But I will. Try again, Carter."


"It’s a good thing you were so apologetic this morning," said Jamie sarcastically. "I see you really took it to heart."


"You’re my wife, Jamie. If you go anywhere, it’ll be with me."


"Were you not paying attention last night? I am NOT your possession. Get that through your head, and we’ll be fine."


Kevin softened his stance, and sat on the bed next to Jamie. He reached out to touch her face, but she ducked her head out of the way. He repeated the movement, this time cupping her chin and tilting her head up at look at him.


"Jamie, I’m sorry. I need to make sure you’re safe, and if you’re with me, I’ll know you are. Don’t fight me on this, please," he said softly, beseeching her with his eyes. Her eyes closed, and she sighed, nodding.


He continued, running his knuckles down the side of her face, "Thank you, baby. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you. Please don’t be mad."


Jamie would have replied, but there was a knock at her door, and Detective Logan walked into the room. Nick started to excuse himself, but the detective turned and asked him to find the others then come back to the room. Nick nodded and pulled out his cell, dialing as he left the room.


"What’s going on?" asked Jamie.


"I’ll explain once everyone gets here. We’d like to try something and we need your help."