- Text Size +


*Six months later*


Jamie awoke to see Kevin propped up on one arm, gazing down at her with love and gentleness in his soft green eyes. "Good morning, Mrs. Richardson," he whispered softly.


"What? Your mother’s here?"


"I meant you," he said, grazing her lips with his own. "Remember, yesterday, you were wearing a white dress, carrying around some flowers, and had five women identically dressed in blue following you wherever you went. . .?"


"Oh that," she said casually, laughter in her voice, "Yeah I think I remember that, now that you mention it."


Jamie couldn’t continue the teasing any longer when she lifted her left hand to touch his face, and saw the sparkling gold band he had put on her ring finger the day before. "I remember everything." She continued to hold her hand up, staring at the ring. Kevin looked at her hand, her face, and thanked God for bringing her to him yet again.


A knock at the door brought them both out of their reverie. Kevin rolled over, got out of bed, snatched up a pair of boxers and made his way through the suite to the front door. Jamie heard some muffled conversation, a rumbling, then watched as Kevin came back into the bedroom, pushing a cart with two covered plates, a pitcher of orange juice and a pot of coffee, and a vase filled with fresh flowers.


"Milady, breakfast is served."


They ate breakfast in bed, then went to take a joint shower before getting dressed. Jamie noticed regretfully that they had a little over an hour before they had to be at the airport for their flight to Athens. Kevin raised his eyebrows at her and made some comment about what he could do to her in that hour, which prompted a pillow being thrown in his direction, along with a laughing reply about how he could show her once they reached Greece.


"Oh, so that’s how you are now. You get married, and making love is just another chore for you."


Jamie arched an eyebrow at his challenge, "Chore? I’ll show you, mister." She walked over to him, grabbed the open ends of his shirt and pulled him down to kiss him. Kevin responded by moving over towards the bed, and dropping her down onto it. He followed her swiftly. The shirt she had been holding onto soon sailed into the air and landed on a chair. Other articles of clothing followed the same path as the shirt.


After a mutually satisfying demonstration of just how much of a drudge making love was, the two of them got dressed again, gathered up their belongings and headed to the lobby to check out of the hotel before going to the airport.


While Kevin was at the front desk, Jamie walked over to the front door of the hotel. She noticed their limousine was at the bottom of the steps, but that there were dozens of girls milling about, all looking impatiently at the doors. Kevin walked over to her, smiled at her, and opened the door. Both were stunned at the loud screams that erupted once Kevin walked through the doorway.


"I had hoped no one would be here."


"I know, Kev, but you knew that wouldn’t happen. This is your hometown, did you really think no one would be here waiting for you?"


"No, I didn’t, but I can dream can’t I?" he said. She looked at her watch. "Well, we still have about 35 minutes or so before we really need to be at the airport. Why don’t you go ahead, sign some autographs, take some pictures, make them happy and then we can go."


"You’re sure? You really don’t mind me doing this? We’re about to leave for our honeymoon."


"I know, but this is part of our life now, and I know it needs to be done. Go ahead. I’ll just stand here and watch you," she said.


He shook his head, bent down to kiss her, whispered, "You are completely amazing, and I love you."


"Don’t you forget it, and I love you too. Now do this so we can leave." Kevin kissed her again, then walked over to where a bunch of girls were standing. Jamie stood there, watching him as he signed papers, took pictures, and talked to them.


Jamie was so intent on watching her husband, that she didn’t notice that a woman moved to stand in front of the limousine, which was parked at the bottom of the stairs. The woman reached into her purse, and pulled something out which she raised to point at Jamie.


The blast of the gun was incredibly loud, but Jamie didn’t notice it either as she felt something punch her in the chest, then burn like fire. Kevin whirled around at the sound, and time slowed down as he heard Jamie cry out, look over to him with wide surprised eyes, and slowly wobble on her feet.


He heard a voice in the distance scream "NO!" as he ran over to her, and caught her before she hit the ground. He cradled her in his arms, not caring that he was now covered in blood, her blood, as she continued to look up at him.


"I love you, Kevin," she whispered.


"NO! Don’t you dare die on me. Just hang on, Jamie, please. I need you," he begged her. She tried to smile, but then she closed her eyes. Her head fell forward, and the last thing she heard was the anguish in his voice, "Jamie, no! Oh God, someone help me!"