- Text Size +


Jamie faced the stage, enjoying the concert and laughing at Nick and AJ's antics. The joy they had performing came through clearly and was reflected back to them by their audience.


So she was utterly surprised when she felt something poke her in the small of her back. She tried to turn, but a low voice in her ear warned her not to move.


"Don't you dare, bitch. Just back up slowly and come with me. You even think of screaming and I'll kill Leighanne, right here, right now, then I'll kill you."


Jamie's mouth closed, and she slowly backed up, as the voice asked. Leighanne was too engrossed in the concert to notice or hear. Jamie tried as best she could to signal one of the plainclothes cops, but they didn't see her.


Ashley kept the gun in Jamie's back. They walked together slowly, the gun hidden by Ashley's body. They reached the rope that had been tied loosely to a tree, allowing Ashley to slip into the secured area unnoticed. Ashley undid the knot, forced Jamie through the opening, and then made Jamie fasten the rope to the tree once more. They moved into the wooded area that surrounded the park.


Finally, there was a small break in the trees. Ashley commanded Jamie to stop. Keeping the gun trained on her nemesis, Ashley slowly circled around to face Jamie.


Jamie gasped. Ashley was wearing a similar outfit to her, and was sporting an auburn wig and sunglasses. To anyone not very familiar with Jamie, Ashley appeared to be her twin.


In some way, Ashley's appearance was also Jamie's saving grace. Unsuspecting fans had approached Ashley, asking if she was Kevin's wife. Ashley had always replied yes and graciously took pictures and signed autographs as "Ashley Richardson". If any fan had noticed the discrepancy, no one said a word.


In Ashley's mind, this was an indication that what she was doing was the correct thing. She felt validated - she and Kevin belonged together. The fans knew it, she knew it, and soon Kevin would too. It was out of respect for these wonderful fans that she decided to kill Jamie in private, away from anyone's gaze.


As they walked to this clearing, Jamie forced herself to remain calm. Panicking would only get her killed. Her eyes darted around, taking notice of her surroundings. Trees, trees, and more trees, with the concert noise getting quieter as they moved further away.


Kevin had been right after all, she thought dejectedly. The security force, which had repeatedly assured them of Jamie's safety, had let them down. When Jamie needed them most, they were nowhere to be found.


She was on her own. She couldn't depend on anyone else. Jamie was the only one who could get herself out of this situation alive. Well, Nick and me, she thought.


At first glance, Nick's obsession with video games and martial arts had appeared incredibly childish. The others constantly teased him for it. However, Nick wasn't just playing the games as a means of escape. He was using them to study the art the only way his hectic schedule would allow.


Jamie had been dubious when Nick first approached her about teaching her the few self-defense moves he knew. After all, he had learned from Master Nintendo, and that really wasn't enough to make him an expert. But after a demonstration of his skill, and a quiet "You are all I have left of Taylor, I can't lose you too," Jamie changed her mind and accepted the lessons. They agreed to keep it secret between them, so that Nick wouldn't receive more teasing. And Jamie didn't want Kevin worrying anymore than he already was, since she wasn't entirely sure she could deal with anymore "protection" from her husband.


Whenever they could, Jamie and Nick disappeared to a back room in a local gym. There, Nick taught Jamie how to defend herself from an attack and how to fight to escape Ashley. They both prayed she would never have to use it, but it was important that she have some basic knowledge.


It was this same knowledge Jamie was slowly running through in her mind. Don't panic, observe everything, pick your moment, then spring and attack. Catch her off-guard, and you can get away. Jamie breathed in. She would wait.





Kevin searched the area again, praying that he would find Jamie. However, Leighanne's reaction to the fact that Jamie was missing convinced him that she was in danger. Without thinking, he started to leave the stage. Howie grabbed Kevin's arm, pulled his mike away from his mouth, and hissed, "Where do you think you're going?"


"She's gone. I need to find her!"


"We're in the middle of a song, Kev! You can't just leave."


"Wanna bet? Jamie's missing, I gotta find her."


"Kevin! Wait. Don't just walk off. Give me a minute."


Kevin looked at him sullenly, lips compressed together, then nodded briefly. "Just hurry up, who knows what could be happening."


Howie moved towards the others, and said in a low tone, "We need to get off stage, now. Tell them we're changing costumes or something, anything, but Kev's gonna lose it if we don't get him backstage right now." Brian walked over to the keyboards, mumbled something, and the band began playing an extended instrumental version of Larger Than Life. The group quickly got off stage.


Once backstage, Kevin started to head for the exit.


"Whoa! Hold up, Kev! What's going on?" asked Brian.


Kevin turned around and said through clenched teeth, "Jamie is missing. I need to find her."


Nick crossed over and blocked the door. "You can't go yet."


"You have one second to move, Nick, or I'm going through you."


Nick didn't flinch or move. "No, you can't leave yet. We have a show to finish."


Kevin moved closer to Nick, and said slowly and clearly, "Get . . . out . . . of . . . my . . . way. . . now."


Nick shook his head no, "If you're going, then I'm going with you."


"You are not going with me." Kevin said emphatically.


"Kev, take a look at yourself! You're a mess. You need me with you. If you go after her alone and in this state, you could get Jamie hurt or worse." Kevin's face reflected his shock as Nick's words sank in. "You need me with you," Nick repeated.


"Fine, let's go." He started to go through the doorway but Nick shook his head sadly.


"The problem is that the crowd is gonna notice both of us gone, Kev. We have to wait. I'm sorry. Just a couple of songs, then we can end the show and go."


Kevin pulled one hand through his hair harshly. "I am not waiting and I am not staying. I need to find her, Nick. If anything happens and I stay here and wait. . ."


Howie touched Kevin lightly. "We understand, Train. But you can't go running off half-crazed." Howie turned and faced Brian, "Why don't you go back onstage and work some of that Southern charm you claim to have. Talk about the charities and what all the money we're raising is going for. Hell, talk about your dogs if necessary, but give Kevin and Nick time."


Brian nodded and made his way back out onto the stage. By this time, Marcus, Carlos and Detective Logan had made their way back to the fellas.


Logan started to speak, but was interrupted by Kevin. "I'm going to find her. Do something useful for a change and start looking for her as well. But don't stand there and say your sorry or whatever other weak excuse you were planning on giving me. Go get Jamie!"


Kevin turned and tugged on Carlos, "C'mon, we're going after her." He looked at Nick, who was still standing in the doorway. "Are you coming or not? I'm going now." Nick nodded and the two started to leave with Carlos.


Howie and AJ faced each other, alone backstage with Marcus. "God, I hope this works," said AJ.


"I know," replied Howie. "Kevin will never forgive himself. . ."


"Yeah. He's feeling helpless, and you know he can't deal with that."


"Well, in the meantime, what should we do? We can't really finish this without Nick and Kevin."


"I'm going to join B-Rok on stage and talk, sing, juggle or do whatever it takes to deflect attention away from this. Hopefully, it won't take long. In the meantime, you stay back here, in case Jamie comes back here. Marcus, you keep in contact with Carlos, and the minute you know anything, let us know." They all nodded, and AJ walked onto the stage, determined that at least something today would work according to plan.