- Text Size +


Detective Logan turned to face Kevin. "First, I'd just like to say I'm sorry about all of this, Mr. Richardson. This is probably very hard for you to deal with right now." Kevin just nodded.


"Second, I do need to ask you about what happened this morning. Are you up to talking about this?" Kevin nodded again. Logan reached into his jacket and pulled out a notepad and pen.


"Alright then. As best as you can, can you tell me what you remember?"


Kevin was silent a moment, then spoke haltingly. "We. . . we were leaving the hotel to go to the airport. We were going to fly to Athens. Anyway, I had checked us out, she was waiting for me in the lobby, and then we walked outside together to get into the limo to go. There were all these girls there, fans waiting for me, I guess. I wanted to just get into the limo and go, but Jamie. . ." he made a slight choking noise upon saying her name, "Jamie said that I should sign some autographs first. She said she would just watch."


"Where was she during all of this?" Logan was busy taking furious notes as Kevin spoke.


"She stayed by the doorway of the hotel. I said I would be only a minute, then walked over to some of the fans. I talked to them, signed an autograph or two, that sort of thing."


"Did you see the person who shot your wife?" Kevin widened his eyes slightly, then hung his head.


"No," he said softly. "I was focused on talking to these girls as quickly as I could so that I could finish and get out of there. I didn't want to be there any longer than necessary. I. . . I heard the gunshot, and turned when I heard Jamie cry out." He closed his eyes, trying to maintain control, but he was dancing on the edge and he wasn't sure how much more he could deal with.


"I'm sorry, but I need to ask you about all of this. So, what next, Mr. Richardson? Did you see anyone then?"


"No. I just saw her. . . fall. . . and I. . . I rushed over to her. I didn't think of looking around for whoever did this. I only thought of Jamie, and getting to her."


"Did your wife say anything? Did she say if she saw who shot her?"


Kevin shook his head, "No, she didn't say much of anything, except that. . . that she loved me. She passed out right after that. Someone said that 911 had been called, and I just waited with her until the ambulance came. I came with her here to the hospital, and I've been here since."


"How is she? Would I be able to speak with her?"


Kevin shook his head again, "She's out of surgery, but she's still unconscious. She's also in ICU, so I guess you would have to ask the doctor first."


"Alright. Is there anything else you can tell me about this morning? Were either of you threatened before this happened, notes, phone calls, anything like that?"


Kevin thought for a minute. "I don't remember anything else. It's all slightly hazy anyway, but I'm pretty sure I've told you everything I know."


"And about the death threats?"


"I don't know of any. There's just been so much going on this last week, with the wedding and all, that I can't remember. You could ask Denise McLean, she handles our public relations and stuff, she might know. She's inside the waiting room."


"Did your wife receive any threats?" asked Logan.


"I don't know," he said simply. "If there were any, she never said anything about them, at least not to me."


"Would she have told you?"


"I think so. I can't imagine why she wouldn't have."


"Did a lot of people know about your wedding and where you were?"


"I don't know. We tried to keep it low-key, but there really isn't any such thing as low-key for us anymore." Kevin grimaced and gave a short mirthless laugh. "I'm sure there were people who knew about us and what we were doing. Why, you think this has something to do with the group?"


"Anything is possible, Mr. Richardson. I'm just trying to get the whole picture here. Does Mrs. Richardson work?"


"Yeah, she's a lawyer."


"A lawyer. Okay, what sort of practice does she have? Where is her practice? Anything there?"


"Practice? Um, mostly corporate, and it's in Florida where we live. I know she had some other private clients, did their wills and things like that."


"Okay, so mostly civil. No criminal work? Nothing that people would be upset about, rapists, murderers, that sort?"


"No." Kevin refrained from mentioning that he had been her client once, because he didn't like thinking about what he and Nick had been accused of, and what they had almost lost. "She tried not to take criminal or any controversial cases like that, she didn't like what they generated."


"What about her corporate work? Anything there?"


"No, it was a lot of contracts and stuff, between corporations. She did a little negotiating for us once or twice, merchandising and other kinds of contracts, but nothing that would cause anyone to hate her, I don't think."


"So you can't think of anyone who wanted her dead?"


Kevin flinched at that, but searched his memory. "No, not that I know of."


"Anyone wanting you dead?" Kevin looked shocked, but shook his head again. "I. . . I don't think so."


"Again, just covering all angles here, Mr. Richardson."


Kevin nodded, "I know, but it just seems all so. . . unreal."


"I imagine it does. Well, that's all I need from you at the moment. We've talked to the girls at the hotel, some employees, and other guests, so now I just need to speak to your friend and. . . Ms. McLean did you say?"


"Uh, yeah. So have you found out anything else? Did anyone else see who did this?"


"Actually, there was a couple of girls who thought that they saw a woman leave the scene as everyone was ducking out of the way. That's something else I should ask you. Do you know of a woman, medium height, thin, with shoulder length brown hair?"


"That describes a lot of people, Detective. I might know of several who fit that, but no one I know would want to hurt me or Jamie."


"I was afraid of that, but it was an idea. Those girls are with a sketch artist now, so maybe a picture might help you identify her for us." Kevin nodded.


"Well, thank you again, Mr. Richardson. I know this wasn't pleasant, but as I said, it needs to be done." Logan reached into his pocket again and produced a business card. "Should you remember anything else, please call me. I assume you will be staying here in Lexington for while longer so is there somewhere I can reach you?"


"Yes, I'm not leaving my wife. As for contacting me, I guess here at the hospital."


"Alright. Could you ask your friends to come out here?" Kevin agreed, and walked back into the room.


"D, the detective wants to talk to you and Denise now." They stood up and walked out into the hallway. Kevin sat down in the chair Howie had just gotten out of. Looking around, he noticed that not everyone was in the room.


"Bone? Where's my mom and Jamie's parents?"


"They were allowed to see Jaim, so they're upstairs," AJ said. Kevin nodded wearily. "Are you okay, man?"


Kevin just looked at AJ, "Not really. Did you think I would be too?"


"Too? What do you mean?" AJ appeared confused. "No, I think this has got to be the worst thing that has happened to any of us since Taylor died. I don't expect you to be normal Kev, I just meant if you were tired or something. I can take you back to your mom's house, if you want."


"I'm not leaving here until Jamie does. I'm not going anywhere."


"Where are you going to stay? You can't be in this room forever."


"I'm not. I'll stay with Jamie. I'm not leaving her, Bone." Kevin may have been exhausted, but his face had a look of determination on it. It was an expression AJ had seen before, and he knew better than to argue with Kevin when he was like this. AJ simply nodded, he'd try to get Kevin out of the hospital later.


The door to the waiting room opened, and a nurse carrying a floral box came in. "Mr. Richardson? This box was just delivered for you."


Surprised, Kevin accepted the box and thanked the nurse. AJ leaned over, "For you? Didn't she mean for Jamie?"


"Probably, but I don't think she'd be allowed to have them in ICU, so that's likely why she gave them to me." Kevin lifted the lid of the box. He gasped in shock, as did AJ. Nick and Brian looked over at them, concerned.


"What's wrong, Train?" asked Nick. Kevin just stared, horrified by the contents of the box. Nick came over, and peeked in.


His blue eyes widened at the sight of a dozen black roses inside the box. He saw a small square of white, and he reached in to take it out. Opening the envelope and reading the card, Nick's eyes got even bigger and he made a distressed noise.


"What? What's wrong, Nick?" asked Brian. Kevin looked up at Nick. "What. . . what does it say?" he asked weakly.


Nick shook his head, unable to speak, so AJ plucked the card out of his hand and read it aloud.


"Kevin, my condolences on the death of your wife. Such a tragic loss, I'm sure. But you'll forget her soon enough, and I'll be here waiting for you."