- Text Size +
"Turn on the tv, the guys are doing an interview," Jennifer pointed to the remote control sitting on the night stand by Carly.

Carly grabbed the remote and flicked on the television, looking at Jen with a raised eyebrow. "Channel? Show?"

"TRL, MTV," Jen gestured impatiently to the television, looking at her watch. "You like playing dumb, don't you."

Carly stuck her tongue out at Jennifer as Backstreet music filled the air, followed by Carson Daly welcoming everyone to today's episode of TRL. "He's a shit," she remarked, wrinkling her nose at Carson.

"I wouldn't know," Jennifer shrugged, lying down on her stomach to watch the show, perching her head in her hands. She smiled as the five guys walked on camera, holding microphones, and proceeded to answer questions from Carson about their current tour and album.

"Look at AJ," Carly grinned, watching as he proudly pulled his shirt up to display his latest tattoo.

Jennifer just nodded, her eyes locked on Nick. He kept looking at Kevin, making her wonder if something had happened right before they had walked on air. She sat up with a start when she heard Carson ask about Nick's girlfriend, only to be interrupted by Kevin pointing out Jenny was his best friend too. "What the hell," she whispered in astonishment, as Nick did much of the same to Kevin, staring at him in surprise.

"What's Kevin doing to Nick?" Carly asked Jenny, who shushed her with a wave as Carson proceeded to ask Kevin who had known Jenny first.

"That would be me, Carson. Jenny and I...we had a lot of first's together," Kevin winked into the camera before turning to Nick, his eyes narrowing as he dealt his final blow. "I taught her everything she knows, you could say."

Jennifer felt like she couldn't breathe when she saw Nick's face fall, his eyes growing wide as the impact of Kevin's words sunk in. "Oh jesus no..."

"What's he talking about, Jen?" Carly asked, as Carson thanked the Backstreet Boys for their appearance and took the show to commercial, ending the segment. She turned to look at her friend, her concern growing when she saw Jennifer's horrified expression. "Kevin was your first...what?"

"I lost my virginity to Kevin," Jennifer said softly, unable to tear her eyes away from the television, willing Nick to come back on screen, cursing the car commercial that was currently on. She had to see his face again...that expression...oh god.. "Nick doesn't know."

"Well, I'd say the whole world knows now, if they use the slightest bit of intuition," Carly shook her head slowly. "You probably got half an hour until they get back here."

"My god, did you see Nick's face?" Jennifer's eyes filled with tears as TRL came back on, and Carson announced the Backstreet Boys had left the building, joking about the visible tension between Kevin and Nick.

"I couldn't exactly have missed it, darling," Carly said consolingly. "I'm sure everything will be ok, you'll just talk to him when he gets back."

Jennifer nodded, looking at the clock. Ten minutes, huh. Biting her lip she sighed, feeling like the next ten minutes were going to be the longest of her life.



The second Nick heard the call of all clear, he ripped his earpiece out of his ear and turned on Kevin, shoving him up against the blinds that had been dropped over the glass walls of the studio. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Nicky, calm down," Kevin chuckled uncomfortably, looking at the fans in the studio around them. "Wait until we get out of here."

"Fuck you," Nick spat out and stormed out of the studio amid screams, Brian following close on his heels. Once he was in the green room he whirled on his friend, his blue eyes blazing with anger. "Do you know what he was talking about?"

"Nick, what the fuck did you think you were doing, attacking me in front of fans like that?" Kevin charged into the room and up to Nick before Brian could get a word out, stepping in between the two. "Stupid move, kid."

"What were you doing, talking about my girlfriend like that?" Nick squared his chest and shouted back at Kevin. "On television, Kevin, what the fuck!"

"You always knew she was mine first, Nick, didn't you?" Kevin replied slowly, staring steadily into Nick's eyes. When Nick didn't reply, he smiled wryly. He'd been working up to this for weeks now, it was so nice to see he'd done so well. "You did...we have something you and her will never have, Nicky. You've always known it, and it's been killing you."

"No," Nick stared at Kevin as his eyes filled with tears, shaking his head slowly. "I didn't know anything..." he protested weakly, knowing Kevin was right.

"You think she's hot now, Nick, I tell you, you shoulda seen her at 15." Kevin smiled and took a deep breath, taking a step back from Nick.

Brian was staring at his cousin, his expression a strange combination of shock, horror and surprise. He couldn't believe the way Kevin was treating Nick, the way he was talking about Jennifer...what had come over him.

"She'll always be mine, Nick, always has been, always will be." Kevin told Nick with a grin before leaving the room, slamming the door for emphasis behind him.

Nick jumped when he heard the loud bang of the door slam, a tear slowly trickling down his face. He stared at the floor, stunned, feeling like his world had just fallen apart around him. "What do I do now, Bri?" He asked his friend pitifully, raising a pair of bright blue eyes to him for advice.

"I don't know, Nicky," Brian grabbed Nick in a hug, rubbing his back consolingly. All this years, and he'd just thought Kevin and Jen were just close friends. He'd never even suspected... "I just don't know."

"Van's ready," AJ poked his head into the room, pulling off his sunglasses when he spied Nick crying in Brian's arms. "He ok, man?"

Brian frowned, still rubbing Nick's back steadily as the younger man shook in his arms. "No. Did my cousin leave already?"

"Yeah, the lunatic ran outside and flagged a cab, Carlos nearly killed him," AJ snickered, before becoming serious again. "What did Kev mean..." he had to ask.

Nick shuddered and stood up straight, leveling his gaze at AJ. "Kevin already left?"

"Yeah..."

"You think he's going to her?" Nick asked Brian softly, his heart breaking as he asked the question.

Brian sighed and nodded slowly, not having the courage to lie to his best friend, the poor man had been lied to enough already. He'd seen the expression on Kevin's face as well as Nick did. Kevin was about to throw his marriage away for his best friend. Or try, anyway... "She loves you, Nicky."

"I don't know anything anymore," Nick wiped off his eyes and ran his hand through his hair before taking a deep breath. "We should go."

Brian put his arm around Nick's shoulder, holding him tight as they left the studio. "You're gonna be ok, Nicky," he tried to provide some comfort.

Nick just bit his lip and kept walking, not knowing how to reply. His big brother had just turned on him, his girlfriend had lied to him....everything was wrong. Right now, he felt like he would never be ok again.