- Text Size +
Carly was staring at Jennifer, her mouth open wide, eyes popping out of her head. "Why did Nick say that to Kevin?"

Jennifer had fallen to the floor when she'd heard Nick's snap at Kevin, and was sitting where she'd landed, a dazed expression on her face. "Oh god," her head whipped up to stare at the radio as she heard Nick curse and announce Kevin's baby. "Oh my god," she repeated, feeling like she couldn't breathe. This couldn't be happening, not like this...oh god no...

"Jennifer?" Carly said cautiously, looking at her friend sitting on the floor. Her face had gone white as a sheet, and she was shaking from head to toe. "Are you ok?"

Jennifer just shook her head no, unable to speak at the moment. She thought she heard her blood rushing in her ears, the floor seemed to be spinning under her. Oh my god.

"Jen?" Carly tried again, sitting down on the floor next to her friend. "Ok, you're starting to scare me now, babe, what the hell was Nick talking about?"

Jennifer started to cry, her hands covering her face as sobs wracked her body. All she had ever wanted to do was tour with her best friend...she thought it would be so much fun. And now she was going to lose him, in the worst of ways.

Carly reached over and smacked off the radio with a bang, deciding it had done enough damage for one day. The room silent, she pulled Jennifer into her arms and held her tight as she cried, rubbing her back consolingly. "A baby, Jen?" she finally said, when it seemed as if she had calmed down.

Jennifer sat up and shook her head, as she wiped the tears off her face with a wad of tissues. "A pregnancy, not a baby."

"Who's pregnancy?" Carly said softly, as Jen fought back another sob. "Yours...Kevin's baby?"

She nodded.

"Oh damn, girl," Carly breathed, shaking her head slowly. "And he never knew."

Jennifer nodded again, stopping in mid movement when a firm knock sounded on the door. She started crying again as she looked at the door, terrified to find out who was on the other side, and what they wanted to say to her.

"Do you want me to get that?" Carly asked her, looking at her carefully. She had never, ever, seen Jennifer acting this bad...this upset. And she'd been pretty upset over Nick in the past. But not like this.

"No," Jennifer whispered, standing up with a frown. She couldn't put this off...whoever it was, whatever was gonna happen, it was time for her to find out now. Taking a deep breath, she walked over to the door and opened it, finding a red faced Kevin standing on the other side. "Hi."

"Jenny Lynn?"

Kevin's voice sounded so gentle, so tender, she started to cry again at the sound. She didn't deserve it, not after what she'd done... "Kevin, I'm so, so sorry..."

"Nick said I had a baby?" Kevin asked her, his green eyes wide in his confusion. "What was he talking about?"

Jennifer looked at Kevin, unable to stop from trembling when she saw the expression on his face. "Back in high school, when we....I got pregnant, Kevin." She paused, unable to tear her eyes away from his face, as she finally told him the secret she'd been keeping for so long. "I had an abortion."

Kevin's face turned hard, his eyes cold, as he looked at her in horror. "An abortion."

"I was only 15, Kevin, what was I going to do?" Jennifer whispered, still staring at him, wishing she could read something other than hate in his eyes. "I was so scared."

"So you TELL me Jennifer, you talk to me about it!" Kevin shouted, oblivious to Jennifer's flinch at his scream. "That was my baby too! How could you!"

"Kevin, please," Jennifer begged him, crying harder when he turned away. "Oh god, no.."

"I just need some time alone," Kevin shook his head, and walked down the hall, stopping at his room. He looked up at her one last time through narrowed eyes, sighing heavily. "Of all the things in the world, Jenny Lynn, I never expected this. Not from you, not ever." And with that, he went into his room.

Jennifer collapsed in tears where she stood, not caring that the door was wide open, not carrying about much of anything. She had lost her best friend, she had lost her boyfriend...there was nothing to care about. Kevin...Nick...she wanted them both, and she'd lost them both.

How had she gone so wrong?