- Text Size +
"Call me when you get to Orlando?" Carly hugged Jennifer tight, unable to believe her friend was really leaving.

"I will," Jennifer promised, picking up her bags and sighing heavily. "Hey, look at it this way, you got a single for the rest of the tour."

"No I don't, I'm gonna get stuck with whoever replaces you," Carly wrinkled her nose. "And I bet she won't be anywhere near as much fun."

"I'll call you soon," Jennifer promised, letting herself out of the room and walking down the hall, pressing the button for the elevator. She waited impatiently until the door opened and stepped inside, not noticing another door in the hall open, and a figure slip out to follow her. When the elevator opened on the lobby she got out, her eyes widening when she saw a familiar baby blue covered head walking towards her. "Nicky..."

Nick's head shot up at the sound of her voice, and he shook his head, waving her off. "Kevin's upstairs already, leave me alone."

"I don't want Kevin," Jennifer told him, her heart breaking when he just glared at her. "Why don't you believe me?"

"If you didn't want him, why did you sleep with him?" He asked her, his blue eyes narrowed.

"I was scared..." Jennifer said softly, her gaze dropping to the floor. "Nicky, I love you, please."

"Well, I don't love you," he shot back, shrugging nonchalantly. "Never have."

Jennifer gasped and shook her head, refusing to believe him. "No, Nick, you said, you love me, I love you, please, I made a mistake."

"I lied, what can I say," Nick snickered, walking into the elevator as it arrived. "Wanted to see what it was like to sleep with Kevin's best friend." As the doors closed in front of him, he started laughing, each hearty cackle sending another shiver down her spine.

Jennifer stood where Nick had left her, unable to move, hearing that now familiar blood rush in her ears. He couldn't have meant that...he loved her...she knew he did.

"Jenny Lynn?" Kevin was standing in front of her, and he pulled her into his arms, hugging her tight. "Baby, don't cry..."

"I have to go," Jennifer argued, but Kevin dragged her back into the elevator, and into his hotel room. "I have a flight..."

"You're not going anywhere," Kevin told her firmly, standing in front of her and looking at her. "Hey, look at me."

Jennifer shook her head, unable to face his eyes. Not after what he'd said before, after what Nick had said...she couldn't see anymore hate.

"Look at me, Jennifer," he commanded, his hand lifting her face to his when she refused to comply.

"No, don't do this to me," Jennifer shook her head and squirmed away from him, tears filling her eyes. "Please, don't...I can't take you hating me..."

"I don't hate you...listen to me." he started singing softly, his voice growing stronger as the song continued.

I will love you more than that
I won't say those words, then take them back
Don't give loneliness a chance
Baby listen to me when I say
I will love you more than that

"I heard what he said to you, you deserve better, baby...you deserve me."

Jen gasped and turned to stare at him, unable to believe what he had just said. "You don't mean that..."

He smiled lightly and continued singing.

Baby you deserve much better
What's the use in holding on
Don't you see it's now or never
Just why you can't be friends
Baby knowing in the end

Oh I will love you more than that...

"We had a chance once and didn't even know it...please, Jenny Lynn, let me try again?"

Jennifer was sure her heart stopped beating as her mind understood the meaning behind the song, and his words. Never in a million years did she expect to hear this, not from him... "Oh god...I don't know...that wasn't a chance, Kevin, it was a mistake."

Kevin pulled Jennifer into his arms and held her tight, his hands steadily stroking her back as she trembled. "Why are you shaking, baby? Everything's ok. And it could have been a chance, if you had told me.

Jennifer was thinking over the song Kevin had been singing...those words....Nick had said that to her. He would love her more than that...she was Nick's Jenny, not his whore. She would never forget that night, no matter how things ended up in the long run, that night, she knew...she knew...she gasped as she realized what she knew.

"What, baby?" Kevin tried to kiss her, his brow wrinkling when she turned her head away. "Jenny Lynn, I love you, don't turn away from me."

Jennifer stepped back from Kevin, feeling like everything suddenly made sense in her life again. "I will never, ever turn away from you Kevin. But I also will never, ever love you like that."

Kevin's eyes widened, and he stared at her, shaking his head, "no, you do, Jenny Lynn, I know you do. Didn't I make you feel good?"

Jennifer nodded solemnly. "Yes, Kevin, you did. Sex...just like a whore."

"No, baby," Kevin argued, reaching for her hand.

"Yes, Kevin," Jennifer repeated, pulling her hand out of his grasp. "Nick...that's making love. THAT's more than that, Kevin, not what we have."

"You're wrong."

"I'm right, you know I'm right," she said softly, looking at him steadily. "Kevin, think about it. You didn't want me until I was with Nick. You're using sex to try to keep me, in a way you've never had me. Please, Kevin, let me go..."

Kevin's eyes began to shine brightly as he stared at her, his lower lip trembling slightly. "No, Jenny Lynn, you're mine, you always have been."

"Not that way, Kevin, I never have been," Jennifer replied, her voice as gentle as she could possibly make it. "Think about it, Kevin, even that song..." she sang another verse to him, knowing from the expression on his face he understood what she was saying.

Baby he would say whatever
It takes to keep you alive
Tell the truth between the lines*

"Look what you did, Kevin, just to keep me?" Jennifer's eyes filled with tears when Kevin let out a soft sob, his head falling into his hands. "I'll always be here, don't you know that?"

"Nick....the way he looked at you, the way he touched you...I wanted that for myself," Kevin looked at Jennifer, tears brimming his eyes. "He was stealing you from me..."

"Never, Kevin, he will never do that," Jennifer said firmly as he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tight as they both cried. "And you have that, with Kristen. Just not with me."

"Kristen, oh my god," Kevin said in a pained voice, his arms tightening around Jennifer. "What the hell have I done?"

"You made a mess, Kev," Jennifer said, looking at him and smiling wryly. "And I was all too willing of a partner in crime."

"Nick," Kevin felt her stiffen in his arms at the name, and sighed, feeling awful for the problems he'd caused. "I'm sure he didn't mean what he said to you."

"I'm not so sure about that," Jennifer said softly, shaking her head. "I lied to him, he's right about that."

"You love him, right?"

"More than anything, Kevin."

"Then I'll help you make things right." He said firmly. He'd made this mess? Well, dammit, he would fix it too.

Lyrics from More Than That by Franciz & LePoint/Adam Anders ©2000