- Text Size +
Jennifer danced around on the stage, laughing when Nick tried to tickle her on top of the stairs. She loved performing like this, with her two favorite guys, there was nothing better in the world. Throwing her hands in the air, she spun around, her eyes flying open in surprise when her foot caught on a loose board on the floor. "Shit," she cursed as she felt herself lose her balance, the world seeming to go in slow motion as she fell to the lower stage with a thud. She lay there, dazed for a moment, before trying to sit up.

"Jennifer!" Kevin fell to his knees next to her, his eyes wide with horror. "Are you ok?"

Jennifer groaned when she felt a pain shoot through her foot, but she shook her head firmly. "I'm fine."

"Jenny," Nick appeared next to her, his hands immediately going to her face to turn her to him. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine," she repeated, her face white as a sheet from the pain in her ankle. "Help me get up?" she asked Nick, grabbing his hands.

Nick nodded and pulled her up, his arm going around her back when her leg buckled under her weight. "You have to go to the hospital," he told her. "And I'm going with you." He wasn't going to let her go alone, no way.

"No," Jennifer looked at the sea of faces watching their every move and shook her head. "I'm finishing the show, and so are you."

"You can't even stand, Jenny Lynn, how are you going to do the show?" Kevin frowned. "No, you're going to the hospital. Let's get you offstage."

Jennifer protested as Nick picked her up and carried her backstage, amid the sound of screams from the arena outside. "You have to go back on."

"I'm going to the hospital with you!" Nick argued, setting her down on a couch outside. "Did anyone call an ambulance?"

"The stretcher should be here in a second," Kevin replied. "And you have to finish the show, Nick, Jenny Lynn's right." He had to fight back a smile at the helpless expression on Nick's face at his words, Nick knew he had to listen to him.

"No..." Nick tried to argue, but he knew better, he saw the look in Kevin's eyes. "Jenny, I'm so sorry, I want to go," he grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight, feeling awful for making her go alone.

"Go finish the show, Nicky," Jennifer told him, smiling at the concern she saw on his face. "I'll be fine, I swear.."

"Come on, Nick, we gotta get back out there," Kevin said firmly, rolling his eyes when he heard AJ starting to sing. The fans at this show were getting an impromptu Johnny-No-Name show, so it seemed, as Brian, AJ, and Howie tried to keep the audience occupied.

"I love you," Nick said softly, bending down and kissing Jen.

"I love you too," she smiled, and waved him off. "Now go, finish your show."

"Ok." Nick sighed, and kissed her one more time before heading back out onstage behind Kevin, finishing up yet another night of the Backstreet Boys World Tour.



Jennifer looked up with a smile when she saw Nick run into the hospital room, followed closely by Kevin. "Hey," she kissed him and squeezed his hand reassuredly, laughing at the expression on his face. "It's just a sprained ankle, I'm going to live."

"I was so worried," Nick kissed her again, running his hand over her cheek. "So you'll be ok?"

"I can even dance again in a couple days," Jennifer nodded. "Just a sprain. I can't believe I tripped like that, what a clutz."

"A floorboard was loose," Kevin said with a frown. He'd gone back on stage to look, and sure enough, a board was sticking up, somehow a screw must have popped out or something....

"I'm fine," Jennifer gestured to the crutches in the corner, "and if you give me those, we can leave."

"Really?" Nick grabbed the crutches and handed them to her, his eyes widening when she stood up with a grin. "Are you sure?"

"I'm on painkillers, I'm positive," she laughed. She wasn't feeling any pain at the moment. "I just want to go back to the hotel, Nicky," she winked.

Kevin groaned loudly and shook his head. "Do you want me to carry your bag?"

"I got it," Nick said quickly, picking Jennifer's purse up off the floor before Kevin could get his hands on it. "You can go, Kevin, we're fine here."

"I'm not leaving my best friend when she's hurt like this," Kevin said with a concerned voice, looking at Jennifer. "Gotta make sure she gets back to the hotel safe and sound."

"She will, Kevin," Nick glared at Kevin, shaking his head. "You're not needed here."

Kevin's eyes flared with anger at Nick's words. How dare he try to replace him... "Really."

"Kev, I'll see you tomorrow," Jennifer stepped in, looking at Kevin carefully. "Nick and I will get back to the hotel fine."

"If you're sure," Kevin looked at Jennifer and nodded, bending down to kiss her cheek. "I'm so sorry you got hurt, Jenny Lynn."

"Just kill the carpenter," Jennifer laughed, before pushing Kevin out the door. "See you tomorrow."

"I don't know what's wrong with him," Nick said with a sigh, watching as the door closed behind Kevin.

"He's having problems with Kristen," Jennifer shrugged. "I guess this is how he deals."

"I wish he'd leave us alone."

"Can we not talk about Kevin?" Jennifer said with a smile, waving her crutches around. "I got wheels, let's motor, baby!"

"Oh god, you're on strong painkillers, aren't you," Nick said, laughing when she started spinning around on the crutches. "You are!"

"It's fun, what can I say," Jennifer giggled when Nick threw the crutches to the side of the room and picked her up. "What?"

"I can get you back to the hotel faster this way," he told her, his blue eyes twinkling. "I got fun stuff for you there, too."

"Oh really, now..."

"Oh really."

"Like..."

"You'll see."

And just a short hour later, she did.