- Text Size +
"Is it strange, watching Nick up there dancing alone?" Leighanne asked Jennifer, smiling consolingly when she nodded in reply.

"Yeah, it's sweet that he refused to let them get a replacement for the week, but it is weird," Jennifer watched as Nick blew her a kiss before dancing away, grinning from ear to ear. "I can't wait until I can get back up there."

"What did the doctor say?"

"Two more days," Jennifer sighed, and flexed her ankle delicately. If it was up to her, she would be up and dancing again today, but she'd been told that taking two more days to let the tendon fully heal would save her a world of pain in the long run.

"That makes sense..."

"I know, I'm just not one for sitting and watching, you know? I'd rather be up there."

Leighanne smiled, "I understand completely."

The two women watched the rest of the show, joining the gang backstage when it was all over.

"How did my favorite cripple like the show?" Kevin cracked to Jennifer as she hobbled into the room on her crutches.

"You know, these things make great weapons," she joked, picking up a crutch and wielding it at Kevin like a weapon. "You don't really need 5 Backstreet Boys, do you, Nick?"

"Naw," Nick laughed, wrapping his arms around Jennifer from behind and hugging her tight. "4's more than enough."

"They need me, Jenny Lynn," Kevin grabbed the crutch and held it tight, smirking when Jennifer tried to pull it back. "So did you like the show?"

"Loved it, of course," She smiled, looking up at Nick. "I just wish I'd been up there dancing with you."

Kevin pulled on the crutch, yanking Jennifer out of Nick's arms and into his. "You don't want to dance with me?"

"You have a partner," Jennifer said, hopping awkwardly to try to regain her balance. "Let go," she tried again to regain control of her crutch, glaring at Kevin when he refused to let go. "Kevin!"

"You're a cute cripple," he smiled at her, his green eyes flashing mischievously. "Hang on to me, I'll keep you standing."

"I got her," Nick scooped Jennifer up in his arms, smirking at Kevin when the crutches clattered to the floor, no longer needed. "Wouldya grab those, Billy?" He asked his bodyguard as he walked out of the room, without another word to Kevin. "One of these days I'm going to kill him," he muttered as he marched down the hall, eager to get back to the hotel and as far away from Kevin as possible.

"He thinks he's being cute," Jennifer said, wrapping her arms around Nick's neck and smiling up at him. "Personally, I thought you picking me up like this was cuter."

"He was being an asshole, the doctor told you not to put any weight on your ankle, and you almost fell," Nick shook his head angrily. "He can do whatever he wants, but if he ever hurt you..."

"He's not going to hurt me," Jennifer reassured Nick. "He wasn't thinking about that, he was just playing around."

"I don't know what kind of games he's playing, Jen, but I don't like it."

Jennifer sighed and ducked her head as Nick ran out of the arena and into the van, ignoring the mass of flashes that erupted around them. When he placed her on the car seat she breathed a sigh of relief, leaning up into his chest as he slid in next to her. "Those will make for some cute pictures, I bet."

"Maybe I can get a copy," Nick joked, kissing her forehead lightly. "I'm sorry I get so annoyed at Kevin, I know he's your best friend, but he's just been such a jerk lately."

"Yeah, I know," Jennifer nodded. Kristen would be rejoining the tour tomorrow. She hoped, anyway, that Kevin's wife would be able to knock some sense into him, get him back to normal. Jennifer knew Kevin better than anyone, and lately, she was scaring herself with what she was seeing in him. Nick's fears about Kevin hurting Jennifer were unfounded, she was sure about that. He couldn't hurt a fly....could he?



Jennifer sat watching Carly get dressed for the show, avoiding going out to her seat until the last possible moment. "She's going to take one look at me and know I'm guilty of something." Kristen was sitting with Leighanne at the moment, waiting for the guys to take the stage.

"If you walk out there looking like you do right now she will," Carly laughed at her friend. "You're overreacting, you said that she doesn't know, right?"

"But I know!" Jennifer's eyes filled with tears as she frowned. She felt like she'd betrayed a friend. She HAD betrayed a friend. "I know I slept with HER husband!"

"I wouldn't say that too loud," Carly warned, shooting a glance at the open door to the hallway.

"I wish I could tell her, get it out in the open," Jennifer sighed, pushing her blond hair away from her face.

"Don't you dare," Carly waved her eyeliner around emphatically. "Kevin won't be back to normal until things are right with Kristen again. And things will never be right with Kristen if she knows what happened."

"Yeah, I know," Jennifer grabbed her crutches and hefted herself up, wincing from the pain in her sore arms. "I can't wait to get off of these things."

"I can imagine," Carly hugged her friend, laughing when the crutches swung awkwardly around them. "You'll be fine, just put on a smile, she won't suspect a thing."

"I hope not," Jennifer smiled, and hobbled out to find Nick.

After a quick kiss for Nick, Jennifer was led out to her seat by a bodyguard, and settled in next to Kristen after a hug hello. "How was your flight?" She asked, trying not to make eye contact with the older woman.

"Long, but over," Kristen smiled, before pointing to Jennifer's ankle. "And you? How are you holding up?"

"I'll be much better once I can get off of these things," she smiled.

"And my husband's not driving you too crazy?"

Jennifer's face paled as she struggled for words, and she was relieved when the lights went out signaling the start of the show. She pretended to be enthralled with the performance, smiling awkwardly at Kristen occasionally, but for the most part, not talking to the woman. When the show was over, she was led backstage, where she collected Nick and quickly left, glad the night was overwith.

"Did Kristen say anything to you about Kevin?" Nick asked her once they were settled in their hotel room, watching an old movie on tv.

"I didn't really talk to her, I was scared to," Jennifer confessed.

"She doesn't know anything, you know Kevin wouldn't have told her."

"I know, but it's driving me nuts. I feel awful for it."

"Then you shouldn't have done it." The words were out of Nick's mouth before he could stop them.

Jennifer's face fell, and she pulled away from him, shaking her head slowly. "I thought you understood why..."

"I will never understand why," Nick said softly, running a hand through her hair. "I know what you told me, Jenny, but if you loved me...how could you..."

"I was scared I was going to lose him," Jennifer whispered, tears filling her eyes as she stared at Nick.

"Why weren't you scared of losing me, though?" Nick asked her, his heart breaking when she didn't answer. "Jenny?"

"He's my best friend," she said pitifully, not knowing what else to say.

"He hasn't been much of a friend lately, has he," Nick shrugged, before pulling her into his chest and shaking his head. "Come on, let's not fight over Kevin, he's not worth it."

Jennifer smiled and kissed Nick, glad to change the subject. Kevin definitely wasn't worth fighting over...not now...not ever.