- Text Size +
Michelle and AJ were celebrating their fifth anniversary. Their first one together at home in Los Angeles. AJ was working down at the dance studio with the other Backstreet Boys preparing for their tour starting in just a few weeks time. He had promised to be home by no later than 8pm.

With the house in candlelight, flower petals around the house, leading to their bedroom, Michelle had cooked a meal for them, it was just keeping warm in the oven til AJ got home. Michelle sat on the kitchen bench waiting patiently, waiting for AJ to come in, looking at the clock.

By 10pm, still no AJ. No message, no call. This wasn’t like AJ. He would have called or something saying he was late. She didn’t want to call anyone in case she was over reacting but she felt she had to do something when AJ’s phone was switched off – the only time his phone was off was when he was in the air, performing or when they had media commitments.

“Hey Shell, what’s happenin babe?” Nick answered when she called him. Nick lounging back on the couch at his place watching TV, channel surfing.
“Nothing much. You heard from AJ tonight?” Michelle asked him, taking dinner out of the oven and throwing it in the trash, all spolied.
“Shouldn’t he be with you?” Nick remarked, Nick sitting up turning off the TV.
“Yeah that’s what I thought. You all left the studio around 7.30pm didn’t ya?” Michelle asked putting the dishes in the dishwasher.
“We all left about 6 actually. Howie had something on, Brian was taking Baylee to one of his classes and Leighanne couldn’t as she’s been held up at work so we all left around 6pm. AJ mentioned you and he were doing something.” Nick explained, getting up and going to his cell phone to send a message to AJ.
“He didn’t have some radio thing or something?” Michelle asked putting a frozen pizza and putting in the oven.
“Nah, he was heading straight home, he wanted to surprise you.” Nick told me, sending the sms to AJ.
“Well he sure has surprised me.” Michelle commented.
“He ain’t turned up?” Nick asked.
“Nope. I haven’t heard anything from AJ since this morning when he was leaving to go to the studio.” Michelle told him.
“Mmmm.” Nick said.
“What?” She asked him.
“Sounds as though this isn’t the first time?” Nick asked.
“Don’t know what your talking about.” Michelle replied.
“Shell, it’s me. You tell me everything. What’s going on?” Nick asked concerned.
“Nick everything is fine. I’m just concerned as it’s our anniversary and he promised to be here.” Michelle lied.
“I’m not over reacting am I?” Michelle asked walking towards the front door window to see if there was any glimpse of AJ coming in the driveway.
“Nah, no way, considering he was meant to be home at about 6pm.” Nick replied as he put his cell phone down next to him on the couch.
“Alright, well thanks for letting me know.” Michelle said walking back into the kitchen.
“If he ain’t home by midnight, call me alright. Love ya babe.” Nick replied.
“Back at ya.” She replied and got off the phone.

Right on midnight, AJ came home. Michelle was up in their bedroom, everything removed, petals, candles, like nothing ever happened. Sitting up in bed reading a book, AJ walked in.
“I am so sorry! When I left the studio, Mom called and spoke to her for a few minutes. After that I saw Danny who I hadn’t seen in ages and caught up with him. I was then on my way home...” AJ began to apologise.
“Save it. I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get in contact with you. Your phone was off or were ignoring my calls. Your Mom did not call as I was on the phone to her and she hadn’t heard from you in a couple of days and was wanting you to call her.” Michelle snapped.
“Oh.” AJ said.
“I thought tonight was going to be special AJ. You promised me. After everything, we hardly see each other as it is.” Michelle told him.
“I am sorry. I am so, so, so sorry babe.” AJ apologised.
“Why was your phone off and don’t say your battery was low. There are payphones and you have a charger in your car.” Michelle asked.
“Please, not now. I’m tired and I gotta be up early in the morning.” AJ whined sitting on the bed taking his shoes off.
“Not in here. Not tonight.” Michelle told him throwing him his pillows and turning over facing away from AJ.

Michelle was awake at 6am, getting ready to go to work when she checked to see if AJ was still there in the spare bedroom, the bed wasn’t even slept in, even if he did make it properly. She got downstairs and there were signs that he wasn’t there. His car was gone. Michelle continued on getting ready for work when her phone rang.
“Shell it’s Nick. I knew you’d be up so thought would call.” Nick said when I answered the phone.
“Hey how are ya?” Michelle asked.
“I should be asking you that.” He replied.
“Came in right on midnight, he couldn’t come up with a proper excuse, sent him to the spare room. Got up at 6 for work and he was gone. I think he was gone all night.” Michelle told him.
“What is up with that asshole!” Nick commented while he was making breakfast for himself.
“I’m not happy I can tell you that.” Michelle remarked as she was deciding what clothes to wear in the wardrobe.
“He did know it was your anniversary. He was talking about it and all.” Nick said.
“Least he mentioned it to you.” Michelle sighed.
“Listen, I gotta get going down to the studio. Gotta shake my ass off. I’ll talk to you later alright.” Nick told me.
“You and that ass of yours.” Michelle laughed.

Michelle, at work, a singer herself was working on some music with her band when Brian called her.
“You free to talk?” Brian asked in his car parked on Rodeo Drive outside Starbucks.
“What’s wrong?” Michelle replied stopping writing.
“It’s AJ...relax. He is alright.” Brian said.
“What is it then?” Michelle asked.
“I’m not one for spying on anyone and all as you know but I just saw it and all.” Brian tried to say.
“Brian, you can tell me. What is it?” Michelle asked.
“I’m out here in Rodeo Drive, just getting drinks for the guys on the way into the studio and saw AJ coming out of Starbucks where I was going into. Thankfully I was still in my car.” Brian said.
“Yeah and...” Michelle asked.
“He was walking out with another woman, an arm around her. Being how he should be with you lets put it that way.” Brian informed me.
“Ok thanks Brian. Thanks for letting me know.” I replied trying to hold things in.
“I’m sorry I had to tell you this.” Brian apologised.
“Brian, it’s alright. Doesn’t surprise me. I’m sorry but I gotta go. Manager wants a meeting.” Michelle replied.
“I’ll call later alright.” Brian said and we got off the phone.
“You right Shell?” Brenda my manager asked me as Michelle turned her phone off.
“Yeah fine.” She replied smiling and walked with Brenda to her office.