- Text Size +

Nick's warm forehead was more than a symptom of him being upset, he was running a fever by 6:00 a.m. The first warning cough came, then another and by the time Lexie heard Fatima and Brian later in the morning, Nick was positively wheezing. She was able to get him up and in a cool shower, then to take some cold medicine. He returned to bed for the rest of the morning.


Lexie got up and tended to Brian and Fatima. Fatima recounted her wild ride with Nick the night before over and over. CJ called and asked if she could spend another night at Grandma's. Lexie agreed, since Nick was going to be sick most of the weekend. Brian was there when she hung up the phone.


"You are very gracious to Nick's mother." he said. Lexie just looked back over at him.


"She's his mother and CJ's grandmother. I have to show her some respect, even if she doesn't show me any." Lexie sighed.


"That sounds like Howie talking." Brian chuckled.


"Well, he's my Dad." she chuckled with him. "So, when is your guys' flight out?"


"Well, I scheduled it late, expecting to spend some time with Nick."


"I'm sorry. I don't see that happening." she smiled. "I've got enough cold medicine in him to drop a horse. He'll be out of it most of the day."


"It'll be good for him. Are you sure she didn't poison him?" Brian joked.


"Now who's being evil?" she laughed.


"I promised Tima the sights and we'll catch our flight out this evening."


"I'm sorry, Bri, I wish we could have come with you." Lexie said.


"I know, I know. It's fine. I still know my way around L.A." he said, putting an arm around her and steering her out of the kitchen. "So, when are you guys moving to Orlando?"


"Brian! Sh! You weren't suppose to mention that!" Lexie gasped.


"You were so excited when we last talked. You changed your mind?" he asked.


"No, it's just Nick didn't want anyone to know yet. He doesn't want CJ to find out before he tells her." Lexie smiled as they stepped out on to the veranda. "Did you get that address for me?"


"Of Nick's old house in Tampa? Sure, it's in my wallet. What do you want that for?" he asked as they sat down at a table.


"I thought I'd look into seeing if we could buy it again. He's talked about it enough times and we both love the ocean so much it would be perfect."


"Do you really want to live in another house where he lived with other women?" Brian asked.


"None of that matters any more, Brian. Nick loves me and I can't help he had a life before me. I live here. It only matters that we're together." she said.


"You keep talking like that and I'm gonna fall in love with you." he chuckled.


"Funny, Bri." she chuckled with him.


"Lexie?" Fatima spoke from the glass doors. "Nick is asking for you."


Lexie looked at her watch as she got to her feet.


"He's up already?" she said, shaking her head.


"Tima, get your bags. I called a car earlier and we're going to go sight seeing before we head home." Brian said, following Lexie in.


Lexie jogged upstairs to find Nick sitting up in bed. His face was red and hot. His eyes were drifting shut.


"Nick, you need to go back to bed."


"What happened?" he groaned.


"You just caught something last night." she sighed.


"I gotta piss."


"Thank you for that lovely commentary. Let's go." she chuckled, reaching for his hand. He took hers, groaning as he got up and slowly stumbled into the bathroom.


As he stood going, he asked her, "Where's Frick and Frack?"


"They are going sight-seeing. Their flight is tonight."


"That bites."


"Yes it does."


"Lex?"


"Hmm?"


"I feel like shit."


"I know, baby." she smiled as he pulled himself together and stopped to wash his hands and face. He stumbled past her and got back into bed.


"Lex?"


"Yes, Nick?"


"Can you get the fairy bunny?" he groaned.


"I can do that." she chuckled.


She returned with the pink rabbit and placed a moist compress on his head. He snuggled down into the blankets and she left to say good bye to Brian and Fatima. She thanked them for bringing the car back to Nick and stood on the front stoop, waving good-bye as they rode off.



The rest of Saturday went quietly as Nick rested. Lexie kept Nick hydrated, cooled and medicated most of the day. Sunday morning, he was only slightly better and she began to worry. How would he ever handle their meeting with Christine and her attorney if he wasn't better by Monday morning? Could Sabrina convince them to reschedule until Nick was better?


By Sunday evening, Lexie was on the phone with his doctor's answering service. The doctor thought it was important for him to see Nick, so she made an appointment for first thing Monday. She made arrangements with Jane for her driver to come and pick up CJ's school things. Lexie reassured CJ that her father only had a cold and that he would be better soon.


There was no time to enjoy sunrises, Cook's hot coffee, or hot crossed buns as Lexie hustled about getting Nick up, dressed and in a hired car. It would be a tight squeeze getting from one office to the other with the meeting with Christine being at 10 that morning. Not knowing what was going to happen, neither she or Nick wanted to bother with driving.


Lexie was in the hallway of the doctor's office calling Sabrina's home early as Nick was being examined.


"Hello?" Sabrina answered.


"Sabrina? It's Lexie." Lexie sighed.


"Good morning, what can I do for you? Is everything alright?"


"No, well, yes. Nick is sick. Sabrina, I don't think he can make any decisions today. I'm sure he's got another sinus infection and the doctor will put him on pain medications."


"Hmmm. Well, unfortunately, I don't know what their demands are. I doubt they will be expecting an immediate answer from you. Are Nick's wishes the same? He doesn't want her to see CJ at all?"


"I don't know. I guess. I think he's also waiting to see what she wants." Lexie said, watching the door for Nick.


"Well, bring him and he can just sit through the meeting. How alert is he?"


"Oh, he's alert, but he just feels awful, especially since he meant to spend the weekend with CJ."


"I can understand that, I'm sure the pain isn't helping either. I've got enough to make them wait for a rebuttal of their demands. Don't worry about it. We can wait to make any decisions once his head is clear." Sabrina reassured her.


"Thank you, Sabrina. I'm so sorry to call so early. . ."


"Anytime. You can call me at anytime." Sabrina reassured her.


Lexie was hanging up from her call when Nick came out of the office, putting prescriptions in his pocket.


"You call Sabrina?" he asked. "What did she say?"


"We'll go through with the meeting. She said we don't have to make any decisions today. What did the doctor say?"


"Some kind of virus and a sinus infection." Nick sighed. "Let's go get these filled and head to the office."



Howie Dorough hadn't minced words with Tina. He had told her exactly what he thought of doing business her way and her 'fight fire with fire' speech, but he still wasn't happy. Tina wondered why that bothered her. This wouldn't be the first time she had worked for clients who didn't like her methods, only her results.


"I just want my company when you're done." Howie said firmly. "I need this for my wife and children's future. Do you understand me, Ms. Ryans?"


She understood it. She had done it hundreds of times. She went back to pouring over the documents Lisa had sent her from Orlando and her "proof" that SDR was ripe for a hostile takeover. Now, who are the major stock holders? Why did this B.N. Holdings, Inc. concern her?



The conference table was clear of everything, except a pitcher of water, glasses and a box of tissues. Sabrina brought nothing in with her, but had a law clerk hovering to bring her what she'd need once she knew what it was. She stretched out her legs under the table as she sat in the room alone. Of all the research they had done, Sabrina had a feeling that Christine's demands would be few. There came a knock on the door and Sabrina's assistant, Star, poked her head inside.


"Mr. and Mrs. Carter are here." She announced.


Sabrina brought her legs back underneath her and got to her feet.


"Let them in." Sabrina smiled. "Nick, Lexie."


They all shook hands and Sabrina sat Nick to her immediate right and Lexie to Nick's right. Nick looked like walking death.


"You going to be alright?" Sabrina asked.


"Fine. I got some antibiotics this morning. They should kick in."


"Did the doctor give you any pain medication? Have you taken them?"


"He gave them to me, but I haven't take them yet." Nick sighed, suddenly breaking into a coughing fit. Lexie and Sabrina both reached for a glass to give him some water. Sabrina let Lexie care for Nick. Lexie poured and he gratefully took it. Sabrina slid the box of tissues closer, but Nick had his own in his pocket.


"What did the doctor say was wrong with you?" Sabrina asked.


"Sinus infection and some virus." he said, clearing his throat and drinking a little more water. Sabrina reached over and squeezed his hand.


"I'll do everything I can to make this quick, okay?"


"Thank you." he nodded.


Nick hadn't spoken to Lexie about the meeting all morning. He hadn't said one word until he asked her to call and explain the situation to Sabrina. His hand reached for Lexie's under the table. It was ice cold as she held it and it trembled in hers. She was sure he felt miserable, as well as stressed by the upcoming events.


Another knock came at the door and it was Star again.


"Ms. James and her attorney, Mr. Silverstone." Star announced. All three of them got to their feet and waited for the other two to enter the room.


Lexie had seen plenty of pictures of Christine. She was tall, blonde and very beautiful. She was stunning with a child-like look in her eyes at times. She never looked very happy, but Nick had said she never had been happy at the house. A head full of sun-kissed golden hair, framing a perfect heart shaped face with these incredible blue eyes. Like his. Like CJ's. She had been vibrant and so full of life.


Nothing like the woman that stood in front of them.


Lexie heard Nick gasp, then break into a fit of coughing. Christine's lawyer took that advantage to sit them at the far end of the conference table, with Christine to his left on Lexie's side of the table. About a half of dozen chairs separated them.


Lexie just nodded as Sabrina introduced her, but she turned her attention back to pouring Nick some more water and smoothing his back as his coughing settled. Seeing Lexie care for Nick in a loving manner was exactly what Sabrina wanted the other attorney to see.


"I'm sorry to see you're under the weather, Mr. Carter." Mr. Silverstone said, opening his briefcase.


"Thank you, but I'm fine." Nick said, straightening his posture after wiping his nose one last time.


Joshua Silverstone was a young man. He was not much older than Sabrina herself. He was of average height and average weight. He was just that. . .average. They hadn't been able to gather any info on him, so Sabrina was hoping he was a straight up kind of guy. She knew better than to assume anything about anyone.


Sabrina caught Lexie's eyes on Christine; no doubt waging a war of her own inside. Sabrina hoped that her shock hadn't registered on the outside. This woman before them, was not the same Christine who walked out on Nick nearly seven years ago.


She wore a dark suit that was a couple of years outdated. Her skin was pale and thin, drawn taut against her angled cheekbones. Her head was wrapped a silk scarf, no doubt one she had had for years. It even looked familiar to Sabrina. If Lexie didn't realize it, Sabrina knew that Christine James was dying. It looked as though it would not be a gentle death either.


"Mr. Carter, as you know, Ms. James is here to discuss her daughter, Christine Jane. . ."


"She's MY daughter." Nick snapped. Sabrina reached and laid a hand on Nick's.


"I realize how you must feel. . ."


"No, you have no idea!" Nick said angrily.


"Nick, please. Mr. Silverstone, please direct your comments to me." Sabrina said firmly. "Mr. Carter and his wife are prepared to listen to your statements."


"My client, Ms. James. . . Christine. . . would like to make arrangements to. . ."


Nick was on his feet in a fury, but his protests were violently interrupted by fits of coughing. He tried to wave both Sabrina and Lexie off.


"Mr. Silverstone, if you'll excuse us. Mr. Carter needs to collect himself. Lexie, wait here." Sabrina ordered, steering Nick out of the conference room.


Lexie sat herself back down and crossed her legs, dropping her eyes to her hands in her lap. She began to absently twist her wedding ring back and forth. She lifted her head a couple of times towards the door as though looking for Nick. She could see people moving back and forth through the mini-blind covered windows out into the offices.


There came another knock and Star came in the room.


"Excuse me. Mr. Silverstone? Ms. Carlson would like to see you in her office."


"I thought we would be meeting in here." he said, getting to his feet. "I haven't requested closed door meetings."


"I believe she'd like to reschedule for tomorrow because Mr. Carter isn't well." Star said.


"Is he alright?" Lexie asked.


"He's fine. He's in the restroom collecting himself. Mr. Silverstone, if you'll follow me." Star insisted. He followed her out, leaving the two women alone behind a closed door.


Fairy bunnies guide me. . .



"You're dying." Lexie said simply without looking up. There was a long silence before she answered.


"Yes."


Lexie got out of her chair and walked the length of the table, taking a seat next to her. Christine hadn't looked up since she came into the room. She did so as Lexie sat down. Her hollow eyes lifted to Lexie's.


"You're beautiful." Christine whispered. "I've seen pictures from the wedding. . ."


"I've seen pictures too. Well, not of the wedding. My folks haven't sent them yet." Lexie chuckled softly.


Lexie's hand reached into Christine's lap and lifted her hand until it was resting on the table.


"Do you want to see CJ?" Lexie asked.


"Yes. Can you talk to Nick?" Christine said, her eyes filling with tears.


"Yes, I can." Lexie nodded.


Christine's bottom lip began to tremble as the tears tumbled from her eyes down her pale, drawn cheeks. Lexie got up and brought her the box of tissues, pulling a few out and handing them to Christine. The other woman blotted her face, wiping her eyes.


"Tell me what I can do." Lexie said.


"You're not only beautiful, you're kind." Christine said, almost bitterly. "I have ovarian cancer. They've done everything they could for me, but it's too late now."


"I'm so sorry. I promise, I'll talk to Nick about CJ. . ."


Christine's bony hand came out and took Lexie's again. Lexie's eyes went from the tight grip Christine had on her hand to her eyes.


"There's more, so much more. . ." Christine choked.


"What? What is it?" Lexie asked.


"My. . . my. . ."


"Yes? You can tell me." Lexie encouraged. Christine looked away and let go of Lexie's hand. She knotted the tissues in her hands in her lap.


"I have no right to ask this."


"Please, tell me what I can do for you."


"I have a son, Lexie. His name is Scotty; he's only four years old. Lexie, if. . . when I die. He doesn't have anywhere to go. I want him to be with you and Nick." She said, taking Lexie's hand with a sense of urgency and desperation. "Please. . .please talk to Nick. He. . . he's not Nick's if you're wondering. . ."


"No, I. . ." Lexie stammered, but the conference room door opened and her attorney, Sabrina and Nick all returned.


Christine quickly let go of Lexie and got to her feet.


"We've rescheduled." Mr. Silverstone said. Christine only nodded, as she headed for the door. Nick and Sabrina gave her a wide berth. Her attorney gauged Lexie's face for a hint of what his client may have said to her. He collected his things, gave proper good-byes to everyone and headed out.


Lexie hadn't moved from the spot where Christine had left her.


I have a son. . .