- Text Size +

That first night was the hardest for Lexie. This was going to be their first real separation, and she knew there were plenty more to come, especially after he went on tour. He called her late that evening, saying that they had arrived safely, and that he was settled at AJ's house for the night. They wished each other goodnight and sweet dreams, hanging on every word and sound before they ended the call.


The morning was far more forgiving. It was a tight squeeze to get CJ up, dressed, and fed before school, and then get herself together to start work at the auction house on time. Cook sent them out the door with a laugh and a wave as Lexie grabbed the first set of keys, one of Nick's Porsches.


She drove CJ to school and dropped her off with a kiss, called Nick on the way to the auction house, and pulled in to the parking lot with five minutes to spare. In jeans and a tee shirt, she bounded up the stairs to the warehouse and found Gina’s small office.


Gina got her settled and introduced her as the historian/appraiser working on the Farmer estate to the crew that would be working for her. They wasted no time showing her the catalogue and throwing her into the work.


The work made the time away from home bearable. It kept her mind off of missing Nick, although Howie and AJ has less luck with Nick lamenting about missing Lexie. AJ was convinced he would kill Nick if he had to listen to him talk about missing Lexie and CJ one more time after a full week of whining. Sympathetic to Nick's plight, Howie offered to let him go home for the trial a couple of days early. Howie was surprised when Nick declined, saying that he and Lexie had talked and she wanted him to stay. Aaron had promised to set up security for Lexie and CJ, with Jill and him accompanying her to the trial.


So, three weeks into the separation, everyone fell into comfortable routines of emails and phone calls and work and school. Lexie relaxed around her co-workers, and they were relaxing around "Mrs. Nick Carter" as well. They took Gina's lead and treated her with respect as an individual, which she gratefully accepted.


At lunch one day, a tabloid fell across the table in front of Lexie as her crew lead walked past on her way to the soda machine.


"Here's another one for our dart board. Girl, I don't know how you handle that shit." Norma chuckled. Lexie looked from her lunch to stare at the headline.


Nick Carter Away From the Wife with 20-Year-Old Blonde

Norma leaned over her as Lexie looked over the pictures of Nick with a young blonde hanging over him as they flipped through bins at a record store.


"Who's that?" Norma asked.


"That's Aria." Lexie said around the last mouthful of her sandwich.


"Your cousin again?"


"Yeah." She said, switching to eat a spoonful of yogurt. "They both like vintage record stores. I can't keep them out of them. It's kinda sad, actually."


"She sure is hanging on him."


"The Doroughs are touchy feely. The whole lot of them. See that guy? He's my cousin, Marshall. He works at the store and is Nick's other enabler for his record addiction." Lexie said, pointing a young man out.


"Dang, he's hanging on him too."


"Yup, a Dorough thing."


"I still don't know how you handle it. If someone was saying this shit about my husband, I'd be insane." The older woman sighed.


"I've gotten tons of this kinda crap since I was a kid. Besides, I know my husband loves me." Lexie smiled, getting to her feet. "I mean, think about it, my father is one Backstreet Boy, I was raised by another Backstreet Boy, and then I married one. God, you can't make that kind of shit up!"


The woman cracked up laughing, "No, I guess you can't."


"It comes with the territory." She said, tossing the remains of her brown bag lunch away.


"So do those nice cars, huh?"


"Those testosterone machines? Christ, I'd kill for a nice Honda sometimes!" Lexie laughed.


"Girl, you are so real." Norma said, crossing her arms across her chest.


"Well, my folks would be happy to hear that. They put a lot of time and energy into that one aspect of my life. Nick just about passed out when he saw me do my own laundry and cook. Like he had never seen someone who wasn't paid do those things." Lexie joked.


"It's a good thing, because that life sounds like it can be nuts."


"It is nuts. I've got his daughter cleaning up after herself now too."


"Well, good for you." She said, walking with Lexie back down into the warehouse.



The next day, Lexie went to Gina and told her what date she needed off for the trial, then went and told her crew about the change in the schedule.


"You really got to go?" Norma asked after the rest of the crew went about their tasks. She and Norma had become friends, with the older woman taking to Lexie like a mother figure.


"Yeah, I do. I just have to say that she's the one who pushed me." Lexie sighed, closing the schedule folder. I hope.


"That's terrible, baby. Well, we'll handle everything while you're gone."


"It'll just be one day." Lexie said distractedly.


"That husband of yours coming back?"


"Nick? Naw, he needs to keep his project moving. My sister and brother-in-law will be there. It really isn't a big deal." Lexie smiled.


"You know, I haven't met him, but I can already tell you're too good for him." Norma chuckled.


"Funny, my dad says the same thing." Lexie laughed with her.



February 27


Lexie sat in the courtroom, listening impassively to the testimonies before hers. The doctors talked about her injuries, what the fall had done to her and the baby, and then eventually the county coroner told them the cause of death of the baby.


Suffocation.


As the placenta began to tear away from the uterus, the baby got less and less blood, less and less oxygen causing her death and eventual miscarriage. Trauma caused from the fall had bruised her brain and body beyond the medical skill of the world-renowned UCLA Medical Center.


No one had been more astonished than Nick when Lexie remembered everything from that day. She innocently asked him how his injuries were after he had tripped on the hose and fallen. He quizzed her on what she knew and then told Jill, who reported it to the State Attorney's office during the forming of the case.


"The prosecution calls, Mrs. Alexandria Carter." The Bailiff announced. With a reassuring squeeze of her hand from Jill, she rose and approached the witness seat. She stood, swore to tell the truth, and sat down.


"Please state your full legal name and occupation."


"Alexandria Janelle Dorough-Carter. I'm an appraiser with Westin House Auctions." She said clearly.


The state prosecutor stood and offered her a smile, which she returned.


"Mrs. Carter, do you remember the events on May 9, 2024?"


"Yes."


"Do you remember being pushed from the stairs and. . ." he began.


"Objection. The prosecution is assuming Mrs. Carter was pushed." The defense attorney rose to his feet.


"Sustained. Restate the question, Mr. Johnson." The judge said.


"Do you remember falling and being injured that day?"


"Yes."


"We've already had the doctors tell the court what your injuries were, but I'd like to ask you, Mrs. Carter." He began. "How far into the pregnancy were you?"


"Five months."


"So, you were visibly pregnant."


"Yes."


"Mrs. Carter, do you recognize the defendant in this trial?"


"Yes."


"How do you know the defendant?"


She looked at the prosecutor, and he nodded her to answer.


"She was the one who pushed me over the temporary rail at the courthouse."


"No further questions, your Honor." Mr. Johnson said, returning to his seat.


The defense attorney got up and slowly headed for her.


"Mrs. Carter, do you know the name of the defendant?"


"Excuse me?"


"Do you know her name?"


"No." Lexie confessed. She hadn't been paying attention to the details of the trial anyway. Sure it had been screamed at her that night at the hotel with Nick, but she hadn't wanted to remember anything except her time with him.


"Why not, Mrs. Carter?"


"I. . ."


"Why not, Mrs. Carter?" he insisted.


"Objection, your honor, badgering the witness." Mr. Johnson said, getting to his feet.


"Sustained. Move on, Mr. Wells."


"Very well. Mrs. Carter, is it true that you have never visited the grave of your lost baby?"


Lexie's blood began to run cold. Where is he going? What does he want? What is his point?


"Objection, your Honor. Irrelevant."


"Your point, Mr. Wells?"


"I want to clarify Mrs. Carter's state of mind during the time after the incident, that's all, your honor."


"Very well."


"Mrs. Carter, you fell nearly 15 feet onto construction materials. You were unconscious at the time and remained so for quite a while afterwards, as stated by your own doctors. How can you remember the events of that day?"


"I don't know, but I do."


"Really? What do you remember?"


"I was walking down the stairs with Nick, and she was right in front of us the entire time. When Nick tripped, he stumbled and fell. I waited for him to get up, but he told me to go on with the bodyguards."


"Did your husband, former Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter, push you?"


"No, our grip was broken, and then the crowd moved forward toward him, pushing me back toward the rail. She was the last one I saw as they moved forward. She grabbed my arm, pushed me back, and I landed against the rail."


"You know, that sounds like a description of what was on the video tape. How many times have you seen the video tape?"


"I haven't."


"You haven't what, Mrs. Carter?"


"I haven't seen the video tape."


"Nothing? Any news coverage?"


"I don't watch much TV." Lexie shrugged.


"So, you're not following this trial at all?"


"No, what I've heard, I've heard from my lawyer."


"Why did you feel you need a lawyer, Mrs. Carter?"


"She's my sister-in-law." Lexie stuttered.


"Oh, yes, 'Carter, Carlson and Ryans'." Mr. Wells muttered. "So, back to the original question. Mrs. Carter, have you ever visited your baby's grave?"


"No."


"Why not?"


"I didn't want to."


"You don't want to see where your baby is?"


"No, I. . .I let Nick take care of all of that." She stammered.


"Mrs. Carter, where is Mr. Carter today?"


"Orlando."


"What is he doing there?"


"Recording."


"He's not here to be with you?"


"No, I told him not to come." Lexie said, trying to sound stronger.


"Mrs. Carter, is it safe to say that the outcome of this trial isn't that important to you or your husband?"


"Objection! Mr. and Mrs. Carter's feelings on the outcome of this trial are irrelevant."


"Yes, they are! This is a trial for an alleged assault that resulted in the death of their unborn child! I think the parents' feelings have some bearing on it!"


By now, Lexie could feel her calm exterior beginning to crumble. There was a tremor in her body, and she was beginning to have a tough time concentrating because of the growing fear inside of her. She reached out and grabbed the front of the witness box, dropping her head. The jury watched her slowly begin to shake her head 'no'.


"Mrs. Carter! Doesn't it matter to you that my client has children too! Children who will be without their mother if she is convicted!" Mr. Wells demanded.


"Objection, Your Honor!"


"Isn't it true, Mrs. Carter, that not only do you not know the name of my client, you know absolutely nothing about this trial because you don't care about what happens?" Mr. Wells demanded.


"Your Honor! He is badgering the witness!"


"No! No! It's not true, but my baby is dead, and there's nothing you or Mr. Johnson can do to bring her back!" Lexie suddenly screamed as she jumped to her feet. "Nick and I have suffered enough at the hands of these people, and we're just trying to get on with our lives!"


There wasn't another sound in the courtroom except the sound of Lexie's shrill voice echoing against the polished wood of the room's paneling. The prosecutor was at her side, trying to calm her down as she began to sob. She sat back down, not allowed to leave until the judge dismissed her. She couldn't see Jill, struggling to control herself as Aaron held her down. Mr. Johnson handed her some tissues, some water, and the entire court waited for her to compose herself.


"Mrs. Carter, we need to continue." The judge said gently. Lexie nodded her consent.


"Mrs. Carter, I am sorry for your loss." Mr. Wells began, but Lexie's answer was a clear snort. "Mrs. Carter, can you be sure that my client is the one?"


"Yes." Lexie said clearly, with a slight tremble still in her voice. She remembered. She remembered more than she had even told Nick. Now, she had no choice to tell them what she did know.


"I can't help but remember every detail of the day DJ died. Earlier that morning, Nick and I had argued about when to put the wallpaper up so we'd have it done on time. I wanted to wait another month because I wasn't sure if I liked the one we picked out, but he wanted it up that next week. Then we left for the courthouse." Lexie said.


"I woke up after she was born, but I didn't know she was gone until I looked down. My father tried to tell me, but I didn't want to listen to him. They brought the doctor in, but I got so upset, and all I wanted was to see Nick. He was in the nursery with his brother saying goodbye to her. . .he sang her lullabies. Did you know that?"


She lifted her dark eyes to the defense attorney and continued. "He hadn't sung since the tour ended and all the injunctions against him started. That had been the first time. He sang to me a few more times in the hospital, but not again until after we were married. I don't know why, he just stopped."


"Nothing that happens in the courtroom is ever going to give my family back what we've lost. It's never going to give me back my baby. It isn't going to give Nick's daughter back her sense of security or fairness. It isn't going to give me back the man I fell in love with before all of this happened. All we're trying to do, Mr. Wells, is get on with our lives the best we know how, and right now that means Nick needs to stay in Orlando and try to find the voice that comes from his heart and makes him sing, CJ needs to believe her daddy can protect her, and that as her parents, we aren't going to let anything ever happen to her again."


Lexie sat back in the witness chair, looking defeated and tired, but she was only gathering the courage for her own confession. She unknotted the tissue in her hand and then looked up at the defense attorney.


"And I've got to someday believe I can carry a baby to term so we can complete our love and happiness without fear of someone feeling they have the right to take it all away from us just because he's a former Backstreet Boy or that I'm the daughter of a Backstreet Boy."


The courtroom was stunned into silence. There was no doubt in Lexie's voice that she remembered what she remembered correctly. Mr. Wells made some more noise about not being able to prove what she remembered because of her injuries. Lexie's testimony had been so moving, that the state didn't need to prove it. It was obvious the jury took her at her word. Her outburst had humanized what she and Nick had been through; pulling them down from superstar status to human beings hurt by the loss of their child.


Lexie left the stand after she was dismissed and didn't wait for anyone. Aaron's security was able to catch up with her, but Jill and Aaron were left behind. They got her into the rented car, where the door closed on the crowd, and slowly pulled away. The cell phone in her pocket began to vibrate, but she ignored it. Instead, she ordered the driver to take her home.


He pulled up in front of the house, where she got out and went straight to the master bedroom. She shut the door with a solid thump and leaned against it, closing her eyes. She breathed, trying to recapture some of the composure she was desperately trying to maintain.


It's her life, it's her love, and it's her family.


She had to be strong, and she had to fight. She couldn't let Nick down. She couldn't fail her parents or CJ or AJ or anyone.


The house phone rang and she waited, hoping that Cook was home and she would answer it. She didn't, and Lexie let it ring through to the answering service, deciding she would get the message later. In the distance, she heard her name being called, and she could tell it was Aaron.


She opened her eyes and looked around the bedroom. She kicked off her shoes and began to remove her suit. She was in her blouse and skirt when Aaron came in without even knocking. Lexie looked back at him and was momentarily startled by how much he looked like Nick. Of course, Aaron's hair was shorter and Nick was still taller, but in the dim afternoon light that filtered through the bedroom's blinds, he was Nick.


"Lex? You okay? Why didn't you answer your phone?" he demanded gently, even sounding like Nick. She knew he was trying hard to control his anger and worry.


"I'm sorry." She swallowed. "I just needed to be alone for a little bit. Who called?"


"Everyone. Your parents, AJ, Gina, Nick. . ." he began.


"I'd better call Nick." She said, moving toward the bedroom phone.


"You okay?" he asked again.


She looked up at him from where she sat, the cordless phone in her hand, "Yeah, I'm fine, Aaron. I swear."


And she smiled.