- Text Size +

"What's so funny?" Brian asked as Nick turned off his cell phone.


"My mom's been calling the house all night and this morning, trying to get hold of Lexie." Nick chuckled, "But there hasn't been an answer, so she called me."


"Lexie okay?"


"Well, 'okay' is relative. I think she partied just a little too hard last night. I just talked to her, she's barely out of the grunt stage of the hangover." Nick giggled. "I think she'll be happy to know that CJ won't be there."


"You seem pretty calm about this." Brian smiled.


"You know, we can talk about how age doesn't matter, but the truth is Lexie is still a young woman with friends of her own. I did worse things than this when I was her age." Nick sighed.


"It's good you understand that." Brian smiled.


"You know, she's with me 100%. I can't fault her a thing." Nick smiled. "There are some things I'm totally sure about."


"Good. You sound better about things this morning."


"A little."


"Even more so since Howie agreed to let you go home early."


"Yeah, that helps." Nick blushed.


"Good, I'm glad. I'm glad you and AJ are okay with you guys not living together."


"Well, I'll miss Alex, but I could live without his dad." Nick chuckled. "You have any idea how fussy AJ has become? Jesus, it's like living with a woman. You got to use coasters all the time, can't put your feet up on the furniture, gotta wash your own dishes. . .God forbid you leave a dirty dish in the sink."


"Well, you have a housekeeper."


"I know, and I highly recommend it. I don't want Lexie fussing around the house when she could go to school or do something else. There are more important things in life than picking up the dry cleaning." Nick said.


"That sounds awful snobby." Brian laughed.


"Well, if I was married to some guy with our kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't do the cooking and cleaning." Nick chuckled. "And I don't even have that much compared to Howie and AJ. It felt really good to give Cook, Marcus, and Anthony that back pay I owed them. Included a nice bonus, too."


"That's good of you."


"I owe them more than that."


"You tell them you're moving yet?"


"No, we haven't told anyone, except for CJ who is keeping mum."


"She's a good little secret keeper. I couldn't get my girls to keep a secret."


"She's had a lot of practice." Nick agreed. "I wish I could ask them to come with us. I doubt any of them would leave their families to move to Tampa, even if they have been with me for over 15 years."


"Well, you can always find new help."


"Yeah, but can I find good, loyal help?" Nick sighed, "But that's neither here nor there. Where were we?" Nick said, turning his chair back to the mixing board. They had to get a lot done this Sunday in order to leave early this week.



After showers, some toast, and coffee, Jake drove them back to the club. Although Jake was somewhat sure they had left it there, it was gone when they arrived. Lexie demanded to know if Jake was sure, but he confessed he wasn't.


"What am I going to do?" Lexie groaned from the inside of one of Nick's BMW.


"When they open, we'll call and asked if they had it towed."


"Towed? Why would someone tow a 2000 Ferrari Testarosa with the vanity plate "Carter 4" on it? It's not like they didn't know we were here last night? It's not like they didn't know which Carter it belonged to? God, how am I going to tell Nick it got stolen?!" Lexie moaned, holding her head. "If I have to hear the 'but it's a classic' speech, I may have to shoot myself."


"Let's call the police, then, report it stolen."


"It's registered to Nick, he'll know what happened before I get a chance to explain."


"Well, you better hurry up so they can find it."


"Find it? It's been chopped up into little pieces and shipped to Tijuana by now."


"Just call them, will you? If I have to listen to you whine about this another second, I may shoot you myself." Jake groaned.


Lexie called and was transferred nearly a dozen times before she got 1 of 14 impound yards in Los Angeles. Of course, none of them were open on Sunday. The phone rang in her hand when she hung up from another answering service.


"Hello?" She asked, seeing Nick's number on her phone.


"Hey, baby, feeling better?"


"Uh, huh." She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.


"Sounds like it. Hey, got some good news. Howie's letting us go early for the weekend."


"Really, great. So, what? Friday? Thursday?"


"No, Wednesday. Isn't that great!"


"Wednesday? You're going to be home Wednesday?" She croaked, her eyes wide as she looked over at Jake.


"Well, probably not until the afternoon. I think I'm flying commercial. AJ's going somewhere in Mexico with his plane." Nick smiled. "Think you could pick me up? I can't wait to see you. I've missed you so much."


"Uh. . .sure, I guess I could."


"Everything okay, Lex?"


"Oh, yeah, Nick, everything's fine." She said. "Jake and I are just out. . .getting a bite to eat."


"Oh, yeah? Well, you guys have fun. He going back soon?"


"I'm taking him to the airport tomorrow morning before I go to work." Lexie said.


"Okay, well, you kids have fun."


"Thanks, Nick." Lexie said with a roll of her eyes.


"I love you."


"Love you, too." She said, turning off the phone. "I am so dead."


In Orlando, Nick turned off the phone with a triumphant push of his thumb. Brian finally let out the roar he was holding in, "You're cruel. You are really, really cruel."


"I'll teach that little imp to lose one of my cars again." Nick laughed.


The Los Angeles Police Department had called him 20 minutes after they impounded it for its own safety. Lexie and her friends hadn't told the valet they would be leaving it there, and the club didn't want responsibility for it, so they had it impounded. He knew she'd find it by Monday night, meanwhile, he was going to see if she would confess or not.



"Lexie! Lexie! Lexie!" The front office receptionist called out as she ran across the concrete warehouse floor in high heel shoes, waving a couple of phone messages. "Oh, I'm so glad I caught you." She finished as she stumbled to a stop next to Lexie and cracked her gum.


"What is it?" Lexie asked, trying not to sound too condescending. Gina agreed to let Lexie have part of the morning off to try and track down Nick's car since the police weren't able to confirm if or when it might have been impounded. She was still hoping Monday morning that it had been impounded and not stolen. She drove Jake to the airport, and he wished her luck. She headed into the office to finish her phone calls.


"You got some phone calls." April smiled at Lexie and handed her the phone messages. "Some guy with Victoria Winslow's office. . .why would someone want to interview you? Is that what they want? Do you get to go to New York?"


"Shit, I forgot about that. . ." Lexie mumbled as she flipped through the messages. The producer must have called the office since she hadn't answered the phone at home. "Thanks, April."


Lexie headed off toward her office, but Gina fell quickly into step behind her. She leaned up against the doorframe, waiting for Lexie to get settled.


"Any luck?" Gina asked.


"No. I've got six more impound yards to call, and three are still looking and have to call me back. What am I going to do?" Lexie moaned.


"Ever think of telling him the truth?"


"You don't understand. I could lose CJ and he wouldn't take it as hard as losing one of his cars."


"Oh, be serious." Gina giggled.


"I am!" Lexie protested.


"Will CJ notice it's missing?"


"Oh, God, I hadn't even thought of that. It's parked next to last in the main garage." Lexie moaned, dropping her head into her hands. "I am so dead." The phone rang and Lexie picked it up, "Hello?"


"Lexie?!"


"Hey, CJ." She said, forcing cheer into her voice.


"I'm coming home tonight. Are you going to pick me up at grandma's or at school?"


"I'll get you at school, okay?"


"Good, because grandma is really mad at you." CJ giggled.


"And this is different from another day?" Lexie chuckled. "Hey, I talked to your Dad. He's coming home on Wednesday."


"Really! Yeah! I can't wait to see him!" CJ cheered.


"I'll pick him up at the airport then come get you at school Wednesday."


"Yeah!" CJ continued to cheer.


Lexie said goodbye to CJ and promised again to pick her up at school. She hung up the phone and looked up at Gina.


"You are so dead." Gina smiled.



Fate being what it was, it was the very last impound yard that had the car. She made arrangements to pick it up Tuesday after work. CJ didn't notice the missing car, but Cook, Anthony, and Marcus did. She told them she had it sent out to be detailed. Lexie knew they didn't believe her because Nick's detailer came to the house and he never left it anywhere. There was no way she was going to tell anyone the truth at this point. She was just happy she found it.


Nick called again that night, giving no hint that he knew exactly what was going on. CJ and Lexie had a quiet evening Monday, and Tuesday started out just how it should. Lexie was still happy she had found the car and still equally thrilled her body was feeling normal again after the weekend bender.


Gina followed her home at lunch and then drove back to the auction house, so she could drive Lexie to the impound yard after work. It was an uneventful trip, until after Lexie paid the fines and saw the car.


They had parked it under a tree, where leaves had fallen on it and were stuck to the metallic finish. She couldn't believe what the birds in the tree had done to it as well. She peeled off a few leaves, only to find that even the veins of the leaves were imprinted on the finish of the car.


"Oh, Lex, I'm so sorry." Gina said.


"I am so dead, G. Now I wish it had been stolen, he would have forgiven me that." Lexie groaned. "His flight is at 2:30 tomorrow and then I have to go pick up CJ and there is no way I can get it detailed and back into the garage before he gets home."


"There is always the truth." Gina smiled.


"No, there is no way I'm going through that." Lexie said, determined. There just has to be a way!



"So, he's not going to tell her he knows?" Leah giggled in Howie's arms.


"Nope. He wants to teach her a lesson." Howie giggled himself.


"She's going to kill him when she finds out." She smiled, snuggling as close as she could against his warm body.


"I know, but it's his problem now." Howie said, tightening his grip on her bare shoulders. "Besides, after the run in with AJ and everything, he needs a good laugh. I don't think she'll be too mad at him."


"I'm glad they settled it." Leah agreed. "I feel kind of sorry for him, as scared as he is about all of this."


"Shhh, now. Remember, AJ promised not to tell me." He said, kissing her temple.


"I know, I won't say anything." She nodded. "It was great for him and Brian to take the kids out tonight to AJ's."


"That was my idea." Howie smiled.


"And a good idea it was." She smiled, sitting up and looking down at him.


Making love as much as possible had become a favorite pastime for both of them. Howie would sneak home at lunch, and the increased intimacy had given them back something in their relationship they hadn't realized was missing. Another pregnancy was becoming just an afterthought, behind spending quality time together. Howie found himself more grounded and willing to walk away from work now. It was doing wonders for his stress levels as well. He realized how much he missed just talking to her about work, the kids, and their friends.


"I wonder when Nick and Lexie will have more children." Leah mused.


"I don't know. Hard to say." Howie shrugged.


"Does it still bother you?"


"Them? No, it really doesn't." Howie said. "What are you doing so far away?" He pouted.


She giggled, blushed, and moved back down into his arms. He was quick to roll her on her back and bury her under his weight. She let out a joyful squeal that he covered with his hand.


"Shhh, you're going to wake Caroline." He whispered with a smile.


"She's not here." Leah smiled, pushing his hand away. "She's out with her Uncle Nick. I can scream as loud as I want."


"Again?" Howie smiled.


"That's entirely up to you." She teased him.



Lexie called Victoria Winslow's producer, but by Wednesday morning they were still playing phone tag. CJ didn't get a chance to notice the Ferrari was parked in the garage and filthy.


Lexie's hands were ice cold and her heart was racing as she discreetly moved through LAX to pick up Nick at the gate. Yes, she was excited to see Nick, but she was also praying for more time.


His flight, late as usual, was just unloading as she walked up to it. She went to where the gate was, but didn't see him. She began to walk around as they began to unboard coach.


"Where is he?" she sighed, digging in her purse for her cell phone. Maybe he left a message.


"Boo!" he joked, standing right behind her. She jumped so hard, she dropped her phone.


"Shit, Nick!" she snapped, bending over to pick up the phone.


"Hmmm, not exactly the response I was looking for." He smiled, grinning ear to ear. He held open his arms, and she went into them, feeling his arms tighten in the embrace. "I've missed you so much." He groaned in her ear. She tightened her arms around him as well.


"I've missed you, too." She said, her voice surprising her with its sudden emotion.


Nick leaned back, cupped her face and gently brought his lips to her. His kiss was warm and endearing, with a slight hint of the promise of what their reunion held. It was all Lexie could do to keep from melting into his arms, but instead, she planted her hands on his waist to keep herself upright.


"Let's go." He whispered, his breath falling on her cheek.


Hand in hand they moved through LAX, turning a few heads but no one approached them. They picked up his one bag from luggage and worked their way through the crowds to the garage.


"You only have the one bag?" Lexie asked as he hefted it over his shoulder as they left the air-conditioned concourse.


"Yeah, Howie got me and B a hotel suite. They do the laundry."


"You're not staying with AJ?" She asked as they waited for an elevator to ride to the garage level where Lexie had parked the car.


"Naw, we got tired of each other." Nick said. They entered the elevator with about a dozen other people.


"You guys fight?"


"No, just too close of quarters. He's incredibly fussy." Nick said.


"Mom says he got that way since he had Alex." Lexie said.


"You talk to your mom lately?"


"No, not in a couple days. I've been really busy." She sighed.


"Really, doing what?"


Damn!


"With CJ and the party, work and. . .oh! Gosh, I totally forgot to even tell you." Lexie said with a snap of her fingers. "I can't believe it."


The elevator doors opened, and they headed out into the garage.


"What? Doesn't have to do with the car, does it?" He asked.


"No, no. Victoria Winslow's producer called me this weekend after the trial. Wants to interview me." She said, pulling the keys to the black 4-door BMW. The door locks popped, the trunk opened, and the car started.


"What?! You!? Wait a second, how could you forget to tell me that?" he said, hefting his bag into the trunk.


"Uh. . .excuse me?" A third voice cut in. Nick and Lexie turned to the woman standing there. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but. . .uh. . .Nick. . .could I have an autograph?" She asked politely, holding out a pen and paper to him.


"Oh, sure." He smiled, taking her pen and paper. "What's your name?"


"Wendy. Wendy Chen." She smiled for him.


"Have you met my wife? This is Lexie." He said, bowing his head over the paper with the pen. The women shook hands and said hello.


"There you go." He said, handing everything back to her.


"Great, thanks!" she beamed. "So, is there really going to be a new album?"


"Yep, just home on a break from recording." He said.


"Do you have a title? When's it coming out?" she asked.


"Don't have those details settled yet." He said, "But I'm sure you'll hear about it."


"The fan club here in L.A. is keeping everyone up to date." Lexie said, digging through her purse. She handed the fan a business card. "That's the phone number and email. Drop Karen or Niki a line."


"I sure will! Thanks! I can't wait!" Wendy said excitedly. "Thanks again, Nick. Thank you, Lexie."


Nick looked over at Lexie, as the fan left with her new treasure.


"Tell me again how you got an interview with Victoria Winslow?" He smiled, reaching over and effortlessly closing the trunk.