- Text Size +

If Sabrina thought the month was going to be long, she was sure it was starting with the longest day she had had in ages. She was able to get through it, pick up some take out, and get back to her condo to find Kevin showered and in clean clothes. The airline had found his luggage and forwarded it to her address.


"Been comfortable?" She asked him as he held the door for her. "Any press?"


"Yes and no." He answered, following her into the kitchen. "Yes, I was comfortable, and no there hasn't been any press." He explained at her puzzled look.


"I got take out." She pulled the food containers out and began to reach for plates. Kevin helped her dish out the food. He carried them to the table as she took her briefcase to her office and then went into her bedroom to change out of her suit. She returned wearing jeans and a tee shirt, seemingly oblivious to Kevin's stares.


Kevin and Sabrina ate with simple dinner conversation. It began with him asking the cat's name and she confessing, she hadn't given him one.


"You have to call him something." Kevin insisted.


"Why? There isn't another cat here to confuse him with."


"Why did you get a cat if you didn't even want to give it a name?"


"Jane, Jill's daughter got it for me. Told me I needed a pet." Sabrina told him.


"You needed a pet?"


"I'm a single, professional woman. . .apparently, we all have cats." Sabrina sighed dryly.


With that, Kevin burst out laughing and didn't stop until he was nearly on the floor with tears rolling down his face. Initially, she wasn't amused, but now his laughter was becoming infectious. Soon she was joining him, small giggles rising to bigger laughter until they both finally settled down at the table.


"It's not funny." She protested, wiping her eyes.


"No, really it is. You said that so deadpan. . ." He smiled, settling his elbows on the table.


"That's what I do." She shrugged, dropping her eyes uncomfortably.


"I don't think you're like that at all." He smiled gently.


She didn't look up at him. He reached across the table and took her hand. What am I doing? She looked up at him instantly. . .God, she's beautiful. . .20 years too young. . .


"Kevin. . ." She began, pulling away, but Kevin held on with his hands and those eyes. . .this is insane. . .She thought.


Sabrina barely heard the clatter as he nearly climbed over the table to get her. He pulled her firmly into his arms, leaving her locked up against him and victim to his intense gaze. They were held there for several breaths.


"I'm going to kiss you, is that alright?" He asked sternly.


She could only nod, like a deer caught in headlights. His head dipped toward hers and his lips found hers, his tongue slipping past any defenses she had.


I have to stop this. . .I promised I wouldn't ever do this again. . .


Kevin didn't stop. He kissed her thoroughly, leaving her breathless and paralyzed against his growing passion. He withdrew, looking down into her stunned face.


"I want to go into the other room with you." He was so direct about it that he didn't sound any more different than if he was asking her for another cup of coffee. Kevin let go of her, and she nearly stumbled out of his arms.


"I. . .I. . ." She began with a stammer, and then she seemed to regain her voice. "I didn't invite you to stay here to sleep with you."


"I know. . ." He admitted softly. "You're a very beautiful woman, Sabrina. I know you feel it, too. . ."


"How many times have you used that line over the years?" She queried him.


"Too many times." He confessed.


"Aren't you a little too old for this kind of behavior?"


"Old habits are hard to break." He smiled shyly.


"And you're married. . ."


"It's never been what other people thought it was." Kevin sighed. "I'm. . .I'm just a little lonely, Sabrina. I suspect you are, too. We could kill a few hours tonight. . ."


Yes, we could. Sabrina thought in agreement. How long has it been, Beana? He's a lot older than you are, but who the hell cares? Who is ever going to know?


Sabrina was at least as lonely as he sounded.


She spent a couple of slow breaths looking up at him, assessing him. Kevin's dark hair had long began to gray years ago. He had it cropped short and it made the angles of his face seem softer than when he was younger. He was tall and straight, moving with a grace of a man who has lived with experience. His eyes were beautiful and mesmerizing. She had fallen victim to them when they first met and even now her heart was pounding in her chest as the sparks she had denied earlier flew between them.


This is wrong.


But it didn't matter right at that moment as she took him into the other room. Into her bedroom and "killed a few hours" with him. She didn't let herself cry and neither did he. It was insane, but a few times it seemed normal and sane. They were fleeting moments that no one would ever know about, except them and then she would put him on that plane in the morning and let him go.



"What am I supposed to do?" CJ asked, looking up at Lexie as Lexie dressed for dinner. Friday couldn't have come soon enough for Lexie. Her stomach had been in knots for days waiting for this one meal.


"Be a good girl, that's all."


"What if she doesn't like me?"


"How can she not like you?" Lexie laughed. "She's probably worried if you'll like her."


"She's famous. . ."


"C, you know even famous people have feelings."


"I know, but she's more famous than my Dad or Uncle Aaron." CJ insisted.


Lexie laughed again, then the doorbell rang. "Don't worry! There she is, let's go smile pretty and do our best."


"And be 'good girls'." CJ laughed, taking Lexie's hand and heading out of the bedroom.


They went downstairs to find Cook and Victoria standing in the foyer, exchanging greetings. Victoria caught the motion out of the corner of her eye and looked up to see Lexie and CJ waiting for her at the top of the landing stairs.


"Well, you are a beauty, aren't you?" She smiled warmly up at Lexie.


The forbidden fruit.


The media.


At 40, Victoria Winslow was as "media" as you could get. TV, radio, Internet, film. . .she covered it all. She was very much the most sought after interviewer of every celebrity's career. Nick had told Lexie he wanted this so bad he could almost taste it.


Lexie was wearing a dress, a statelier one than Nick usually cared for. Her dark hair was down her back, which was a way she rarely wore it since she had grown it out.


"Thank you." CJ smiled politely, and Victoria shook her dark head, heading up the short stairs to meet them.


"I'm Vicki Winslow." She smiled, presenting her hand to Lexie first. Her own dark hair was twisted back into a neat French roll and was a beautiful contrast to her gray eyes. Her linen pantsuit was dark as well, tailored perfectly to her trim figure. In heels, her 5-10 height was nearly 6 feet, making her just an inch or so taller than Lexie in her heels.


"Nice to meet you. I'm Lexie and this is CJ, Nick's daughter." Lexie smiled nervously, taking Victoria's hand in hers.


Vicki shook her hand firmly, then also offered to shake CJ's. CJ was quick to follow suit, shaking her hand as well.


"Well, it's nice to meet you two as well." She smiled.


"Would you ladies care for a drink before dinner?" Cook interrupted them gently.


"A little wine, perhaps?" Vicki asked politely.


"Red or white."


"Oh, white is fine."


"Lexie?"


"Yes, white." She answered quickly.


"There are hors d'oeuvres are in the front room. Dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes." Cook smiled, turning to leave and allowing Lexie to escort Victoria into the formal living room.


Cook had made everything perfect. Food, wine, and lighting made the house seem more elegant than Lexie ever remembered seeing it.


"This is a beautiful house." Vicki said, following them into the living room and sitting in a chair across from the girls, who sat on the couch together.


"Thank you. Nick has had it since before we were married."


"Have you been having fun redecorating?"


"Oh, I haven't done any, actually." Lexie chuckled nervously. "I really haven't had time."


Cook came in with wine for the adults and a little juice in a fancy glass for CJ, who continued to sit quietly as the adults talked.


"You know, I have just got to say this. I hope you don't take this wrong, but you look so much like AJ. . ." Vicki smiled after a sip of her wine. She held up her hand, "I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but that's the first thing I said when I first saw your picture when you disappeared."


"Oh, no, it's okay. I sometimes get that from reporters."


"We're just evil, aren't we?" Vicki laughed.


"Other people don't really mention it." Lexie answered.


"Really, I wonder why?" Vicki asked.


"I think because my father growing up was Howie Dorough." Lexie answered.


"Of course, I'm sorry. It was rude of me."


"No, no. It's a pretty safe bet I look like AJ." Lexie smiled.


"You have his eyes, that's for sure. Did Mark tell you I'm a fan? Well, a Backstreet Boy fan. Those were the days."


"No, he didn't."


"My Dad was a Backstreet Boy." CJ said.


"Yes, he was." Vicki agreed.


"So was my Uncle Kevin, and Howie, but I call him my Grandpa and AJ, who is my Poppy and also Uncle Brian."


"Well, you have all the details worked out."


"I figured it was better that way, because I didn't want AJ to be confused because of Howie being Grandpa and all. He likes being called Poppy."


"Do you see them often?"


"We saw them last weekend." Lexie said.


"All of the Backstreet Boys?"


"Everyone but Kevin. He's due in Orlando I think in a couple days, Nick said."


"I had heard he was in L.A. this week."


"Really, I hadn't heard that." Lexie said.


"Ah, probably just gossip, that's all." Vicki sighed with a smile. "So, CJ, what does "CJ" stand for?"


"My name, Christine Jane."


"How old are you and what grade are you in?"


"I'm 7 and I'm in the first grade."


"Really? Wow, you're a big girl." Vicki smiled.


"You have any children?" CJ asked.


"No, I don't."


"Aren't you married?"


"Well, yes, but I don't have any children." Vicki chuckled. "I have a dog though. His name is Sebastian."


"What kind of dog is he?"


"A Corgi."


"Is that a big dog?"


"Oh, no, he's little."


"I don't think we've ever had a dog." CJ said, trying to sound so grown up. She looked up at Lexie and Lexie smiled.


"No, CJ, we haven't." Lexie's fingers lightly skimmed CJ's hair.


"So, I have to ask, because he was always my favorite. How is Brian these days?" Vicki asked.


"Brian? He's good, when he's not complaining about trying to keep up with his youngest daughter." Lexie said.


"How old is she now?"


"Seventeen, I believe."


"Good Lord, I remember when all his girls were born."


"Dinner is ready, ladies." Cook announced.


"It smells wonderful." Vicki said, getting to her feet. CJ and Lexie followed her into the formal dining room.


The food smells, the candlelight, and fine china. . .Cook was getting a raise as soon as Lexie could get Nick to agree to it. It wouldn't be too tough if they got this interview. Dinner was a baked chicken, wild rice, and baby carrots; followed by cheesecake, which Vicki said was her favorite.


"I suppose we should get through the pre-interview part of this evening." Vicki announced after dessert, putting her napkin on the table.


"Lexie?"


"Yes, CJ?" Lexie looked over at her.


"Can I go upstairs?"


"It's getting close to your bedtime. Do you have your bag packed?"


"Yeah."


"Well, Cook's going to take you home to play with Hannah tomorrow."


"Hannah's moving to Canada soon."


"Yes, she is."


"Okay, yeah, my bag is packed, but I've got to do my homework."


"Well, that's fine, but it can wait until Sunday night."


"I know, but I'll do it now while I wait for Cook." CJ said, getting off her seat and walking up to Victoria. "It was nice to meet you."


"It was nice to meet you, too, CJ." Vick smiled.


"Bye!" CJ skipped from the room.


"She is too precious." Vick laughed.


"Nick says it's because she's been around adults all her life. When she was younger, he used to take her everywhere on the road with him. This is actually the first time they've really been apart."


"Nick and CJ are close?"


"Very."


"Lexie, do you mind if I ask you about CJ's mother? It's not going to be a part of your interview, but I've always been curious."


"Well, she left when CJ was still an infant. We're not exactly sure why."


"She still has contact with CJ?"


"No." And Lexie left it at that. "Would you like to move back into the living room?"


"Sure, that would be fine." Vicki nodded as the two women got to their feet.


The two women settled into the living room with coffee from Cook. Lexie watched Vicki settle into a corner of the couch, cross her long legs, and peer at her from over her coffee cup.


"I guess I should start by telling you why I wanted to do this interview." Vicki began. "I was moved by your testimony at the trial of Samantha Kramer. I was doubly surprised when my producer, Mark, told me that you didn't even know what the verdict was. Tell me, Lexie, why was that?"


"I pretty much said it all there. We're just trying to get on with our lives."


"She was responsible for the death of your baby."


"I know." Lexie sighed heavily, "But nothing is going to bring her back, no matter how much I wish it could."


"You made an interesting comment to Mark on the phone when he first talked to you, about how you and Kramer were both victims of the trade unions trying to keep the cases in the public eye. How do you feel about that now that she's been convicted?"


"The same, I suppose. Does it really make sense to prosecute this case? I was just barely 6 months pregnant with the baby when I lost her. I don't think I was even that. Although she did shove me, it was probably more of an accident than anything else. None of it was fair, none of it."


"Lexie, how come you've never been to the baby's grave?"


It was by far one of the longest pauses in Victoria Winslow's career. She watched Lexie's profile for some kind of reaction, something to give her a clue on what was going on in this beautiful girl's head.


"It would make it real. If I saw it." Lexie quietly confessed to something she hadn't even told Nick. "Right now it's like it never happened. The pregnancy, the fall, the miscarriage. . .it's like a dream."


"Isn't it better to just deal with these things?"


"I tried." Lexie sighed. "I tried to and ended up on drugs that. . .made it worse. It's better this way, for both of us."


"You and Nick?"


"Me and DJ."