- Text Size +

Tina looked up from her new office at SDR to see Howie's faithful little assistant standing in her doorway in shock. No doubt Michelle had never heard such language coming from another woman so early on a Monday morning. Well, Tina despised assholes. Put arrogant in front of that word and all hell was liable to break loose.


"Can I help you?" Tina asked.


"I was just wondering if I needed to order you a new phone. Are you sure that one isn't broken after how you slammed it down?"


"I'd order a spare if I were you." Tina agreed dryly.


"Howie sent me down here to ask about having lunch today."


"You can't call?"


"You were on the phone."


"Today isn't good. Tomorrow."


"He can't do tomorrow or the rest of the week. Today. He said to be in his office by noon." With her announcement complete, the little blonde turned and left the office.


A small, wry grin crossed Tina's lips, No wonder Dorough hired her, Tina thought.


Her hand fell on a crisp white legal-sized envelope that had just been delivered a moment before her phone call. She picked it up and looked through the window to see Nick's full legal name neatly typed on what she knew was a check. More than enough for that house he and Lexie were looking at and now it was time to tell him the good news.


It had taken three extra court hearings, but Tina had forced Nick's former management to pay him per the court agreement. She had back payments plus interest in here and they were equally displeased when she refused an electronic transfer. She stated she didn't want them any where near her clients' personal accounts, so she forced them to draft him a check. A rather hefty one at that.


Her painted red lips curled into a satisfied smile as she pushed back her chair and stood, heading towards the recording studio. No point in delaying such good news.



Holy shit. . . AJ thought as he watched Tina walk into the recording studio and signal for Nick to join her outside. AJ flicked the switch to talk to Brian and Kevin in the booth. "Who the fuck was that beautiful redheaded creature?!" He asked.


"That's his lawyer." Brian chuckled at AJ as he stood there with his mouth gaping.


"I think she's an angel straight from heaven." AJ gasped.


"More like a she-devil." Brian laughed. "Her name is Tina Ryans."


"She's going to be the next Mrs. Alexander McLean if I have my way with her." AJ cackled back. Goddamn! When was the last time I laid eyes on something that fine?! I would get married again if I could get my hands on that. AJ thought.


Everything about her spoke of raw power and sexuality so thick AJ could taste it. The attraction for him was instantaneous, and he could feel the stirring of it in his loins.


Nick came back in the room sans Tina and smiled over at AJ. "She heard every word."


"Great! I'll be right back!" AJ cackled as he ran out into the hall. She was walking away when AJ called out, "And I meant every word, too! Have dinner with me! Tonight!"


Tina looked back to find him standing in the middle of the hallway yelling at her past several SDR employees.


AJ McLean. . .fuck, he's only gotten better with age. . .


"Be at my office at 6 o'clock. A minute late, and I'll leave without you!" She yelled back as the doors to the elevator opened. She stepped in and turned to see him blow her a kiss. She actually felt heat creep into her cheeks, but the doors closed soon enough to block it from his view.


AJ was there at six sharp, having made arrangements for Alex to stay with Nick for the evening. He seemed quite pleased with himself, Tina observed as she finished clearing her desk for the night. She locked her desk and stood to take her jacket off the back of her chair.


"You have any idea how beautiful you are?" He smiled at her and stupidly, she felt herself blush again.


"Obviously, you haven't spoken to Nick about me." She replied as she slipped on her suit jacket.


"Oh yeah, I did. Didn't believe a word he said." AJ grinned. "I made reservations for 7, if that's okay?"


"That's fine." Tina put her bag on her shoulder and met him at the door he held for her.


"Good. After you, Ms. Ryans. . ."


"Oh, you did get my name."


"And I know you already know mine."


Nick had told him plenty. He had even told him that he was pretty sure Tina was a fan, especially of him. Been a while since I tried to bang a fan, might just be fun, he had thought to himself. Her heels put her a good 2 inches taller than him, but he didn't care. Just following her through the halls to the parking garage, letting her scent linger before him, was enticement enough for him. He noticed the grace of her hands, the poise of her body, and the strength in her stride.


He was completely mesmerized by her as they walked through the garage towards his car since she agreed to let him drive. He held the door for her and then went around and let himself in. He settled into the leather seat and slipped the key into the ignition.


"Is there any reason we should even bother with dinner?" He asked her as the fine automobile came to life.


"I'm hungry?" She smiled at him.


"So am I." He agreed, but his tone and his manner told her he wasn't talking about food.


"I gather there is food at your house?" She asked. He stopped backing out the car and looked over at her.


"Yes, there is."


"Can you cook?"


"Yes, I can." He smiled.


"I think that will do." She nodded.


"Dinner at my place, then."


The ride to AJ's house was sparked with only casual chitchat. Neither one of them paid too much attention to what was being said because their goals were simply the same.


Each other.


Tina was returning his aggression, tit for tat. AJ did cook a light meal for her as she took off her shoes and her hose, leaving them by the front door. He learned a little about her: she had two daughters and was divorced. She was as dynamic as Nick and Brian had said, and AJ was enjoying the thrill that came with that. Could he make her vulnerable? Would his touch be enough to bring her to his will?


"You can cook." Tina smiled as she stood in the doorway to the kitchen, watching AJ rinse dishes for the dishwasher.


"Taken up a lot of life skills since I decided to take care of Alex on my own." He nodded, closing the dishwasher and locking it shut.


"You survived without them before."


"I hired people to do them for me. I know Suzanne wouldn't have wanted Alex raised like that. I don't either." He said, drying his hands. "Can I get you a drink?"


"Absolutely." She stepped aside to let him pass. He mixed drinks for both of them, handing a fine crystal glass to her. "Here's to being polite." She toasted him.


"Absolutely." He grinned over the rim of his glass. He reached with his free hand and began pulling fiery strands down around her face. "Is it natural?"


"Yes." She said, her voice not giving a hint of her own passion away. His slim fingertips traced her jaw until he let his hand drop to his side.


"Let down your hair." He commanded softly, reaching to take her glass. She handed it over and reached up, pulling a few pins from her hair. The dark red locks fell around her, causing his breath to hitch in his throat. He set down their glasses as his fingers rose to her again and traced the V of her blouse until it plunged between her breasts. "You are incredibly beautiful. Come with me."


He took her hand and led her to his bedroom. She followed him without hesitation, and AJ couldn't remember the last time a woman had done that. He had a reputation, and he knew it. The last couple of years of domestic bliss with Alex hadn't changed him or anyone's opinion of him. He simply was never one to deny a beautiful woman. He knew the forces drawing him to this woman wouldn't allow him deny its pull either.


Tina let him lead her and was as willing as she looked. This was better than she could have hoped. It had been ages since a man she actually wanted to be touched by had touched her. She knew there was no telling what would happen to her when he did, either.


Without her shoes, she was still an inch taller than he was, but it didn't bother him as they stood beside the bed and began to undress without a word. The attraction hung between them like the hot, humid air common in Florida. Tina almost felt smothered by the sexual tension between them. The sparks had flown during the car ride and even more so during the simple meal he had prepared. Suddenly, her mind flickered, and she prayed the room was dark enough that he couldn't see her scars.


AJ took her in his arms and pressed himself to her until he could feel the jut of her ribs against his. His mouth took hers, and then he moved her back to lay her across his bed.


He was hungry as his mouth devoured her. She gasped and nearly screamed as his teeth grazed each nipple. Her fingers raked over his short hair and dug mercilessly into his shoulders. His fingers slipped in between her damp legs and she responded eagerly.


Tina felt her body reach new heights as they made love. She had always thought he was attractive and had kept him as a not-so-secret fantasy. She had kidded enough times with Nick and Jill and even Aaron about hooking them up. Now she had actually done it. She opened her eyes several times to see him panting above her, marveling at the sight.


God, was it possible that this was everything she ever wanted? Was he the happiness she had always hoped? Instantly, she regretted being there with him. She had recklessly gone to bed with him and presented herself like the whore people once thought she was. In the instant that AJ came in her arms, her years of success and hard work meant nothing, and she felt like she was the same scared, stupidly whorish little girl she was at fifteen.


AJ only saw that she was beautiful and she moved under him as any beautiful woman would, but AJ felt something in her that he couldn't identify. Something beyond hunger. Something that he had seen in other women when he was younger, but didn't understand then either. When he first saw her, she was instantly intriguing to him.


She opened herself willingly to his plundering, so he could not conclude what he felt was a lack of trust. She caressed him tenderly when he lay spent in her arms, and he knew she was capable of love. She blushed when he complimented her and laughed when he tickled her. He couldn't understand what he didn't know, but he knew something was wrong with her. He got his first glimpse when he reached to turn on the lamp by the bed, as she sat on the edge with her back to him.


"Good God!" He gasped.


"What?!" She gasped as she whirled on him, pulling her blouse to cover her breasts.


"What's on your back?!" AJ demanded.


"Its. . .uh. . .nothing." She stammered.


"Tina, don't tell me it's nothing. Your back is covered with. . .scars."


"They're nothing." She backed away, shaking her head.


"Girl, what the hell happened to you?!" AJ climbed over the bed and moved towards her as she continued to back up.


"I have to go." She stammered, beginning to snatch up her clothes. AJ caught her arm and brought her flurry of movement to an end.


"Don't go. Tell me." He murmured. He brushed hair from her shoulder and let his fingertips draw down her back.


She drew in a long breath and shook herself from his grip. She threw back her red hair like a mane on a wild mustang.


"I was . . .hit. By my ex-husband."


"Jesus, with what?"


"That was an electrical cord."


His hand drew down her back and his fingers clicked over each scar. "Oh, fuck, there is something so wrong about that." AJ muttered. "Where is the bastard?"


"He's dead. He was killed in prison after he was convicted of murder."


"Murder? Who did he murder?"


"My sister. She came to my rescue and he strangled her with the cord. My daughter, Willow, is actually my niece. He was Becka's father."


"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry. . ." AJ choked. "I had no idea. . ."


"Few people do, and I'd rather it stay that way." She snapped as she moved away from him.


"Tina, don't!" AJ said sternly.


"Don't what?" She questioned him.


"Don't go."


"Is there any point of me staying any longer? We both got what we wanted."


"Huh? Wait a second, I'm not in this just for a quick screw. I just wanted to say I thought we had something here, but obviously I'm the only one who feels that way." He declared.


He could hear her clear and concise snort.


"Fine. I'm too old for this shit anyway." AJ sighed, throwing up his hands. She picked up her clothes and pulled them all on. He stopped her with his words this time. "Tina?"


She stopped and looked back at him silhouetted by a bedroom window.


"Didn't you feel anything?" He asked quietly.


Tina considered the question for a long time before she answered him, "Yes. I did, AJ."


"Then don't go. Don't go forever." The pleading in his voice surprised AJ. She lifted her eyes to him. "I don't want you to go. Stay here, and I'll prove it."


He'll prove it? As far as Tina was concerned, he had proved it in every touch and every movement of his body against hers. He wanted her, but more than just her body and she knew that. Why am I running? Why can't I face it? Why can't I have him? Why can't I be happy for once and have what I want? Stay, Tina, and see if what you know is true.


"I believe you." Her voice a soft whisper.


"This is crazy, I know." He smiled gently at her as he walked closer. "I just have to know if there is something here. Something between us we can build on."


He took her hand and led her to sit on the bed with him, amidst the strewn bed covers. He leaned over and gently pressed his lips to hers, but she didn't move. He tried again, smoothing his tongue against her closed lips. She quietly gasped as he stood up and faced her. He pressed her back into the bed again.


This time, he would prove it to her.