- Text Size +

"Can I help you with something?" Howie's assistant, Michelle, asked as she caught the entire view of his behind sticking out from under his desk the next morning.


"Yeah, where are those budget files I gave you a while back?"


"What budget files?"


"The ones I put notes in and approved. Aren't you done with them?" He asked as he got to his feet.


"I didn't see any budget files."


"I left them on your desk."


"Nope, didn't see them."


"Don't screw with me, okay?" He sighed.


"I'm not. No files, Howie." Michelle threw up her hands.


"I know I left them there. God, I'm going senile, I swear!" He groaned as he sat back down.


"I'm sure they are in here somewhere." She smiled at his piles on his desk.


"Not if they are on your desk." He joked back.


"They aren't on my desk." She joked back at him. "I'll look for them in here when you're at lunch."


"You won't find them in here, because they are on your desk." He hollered after her as she walked out of his office with a girlish laugh.



"You just aren't going to miss us, are you?" Gina chuckled at a daydreaming Lexie.


"Huh? What?"


"Miss us? You going to miss us?"


"Of course I am, you dork." Lexie smiled. "I'm still figuring on opening my estate house in Tampa. We'd be the only game in town."


"I don't know. . ." Gina sighed.


"I know Jake will be moving back to Orlando come graduation." She teased her former college roommate.


"You're mean!"


"Naw, you'll be family then."


"What?!"


"After you marry him."


"Oh, gesh!" Gina blushed wildly.


"You could do worse than a 'Richardson', ya know?" Lexie laughed.


"And I think I have!" Gina laughed with her. "Enough about Jake. You get to work. I need that catalogue complete before you leave here Friday!"


"Yes, ma'am!"



"How'd it go?" Brian whispered to Nick as they watched Alex and AJ play in the recording booth.


"I have no idea. He won't tell me. He got out alive." Nick snickered. Brian returned the chuckle.


"How's Lexie doing?" Brian swiveled his chair fully toward Nick.


"She sounds better. Really good, actually. That lingering sadness in her voice seems gone." Nick smiled.


"You tell her about not wanting Chris near CJ?"


"Yeah, and it was weird. She just said she was sorry to hear that and let it go. Damn, I thought all hell was gonna break loose. She was as cool as a cucumber." Nick arched his eyebrows in disbelief.


"Maybe she fully understands the situation now."


"I hope so. I think she'll respect my wishes, too. I already told Sabrina to tell them 'no' if they contact her again, which they haven't."


"Sabrina who?" They heard a familiar deep voice ask them.


"Hey, Cuz! You were supposed to be here two days ago!" Brian laughed, jumping to his feet and into Kevin's arms. Nick stood and he embraced the closest man he had to an older brother.


"Didn't D tell you?" Kevin queried.


"Yeah, but we still expected you sooner."


"Got delayed in L.A." Kevin shrugged. Brian pulled up a chair for him, and the three men sat down together.


"Where you staying?"


"I had Kristen open up the house here. I'll be staying there. Jake is going to be back in Orlando in the middle of June after graduation. He's fielding offers in the Orlando and Tampa markets."


"Still going to be a radio jock?" Nick smiled as he leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs.


"So far he's sticking to it."


"I hear he's taken up with one of Lexie's friends." Nick smiled.


"Yeah, I heard all about her." Kevin chuckled.


"She's a good kid. I think you'll like her. I wouldn't be surprised if Gina moves out here by the end of the year. Lexie has been having a great time at the auction house and is thinking of starting her own business."


"Really?" Brian asked.


"It's really just a thought right now, but once we're settled in Tampa, you never know." Nick shrugged. Nick looked behind him as Kevin smiled brightly over his shoulder to see AJ and Alex making fish faces on the glass behind him and Brian. Brian was the first one on the consoles doing it back to them.


"I'm not paying you jokers to sit around here!" Howie declared walking in on them. "Good to see you, Kevin!"


Hugs rounded out the group and even with Howie's stern voice, it took them another 45 minutes to get to work.



It was Friday, and the last week at the auction house had flown by too quickly for Lexie. The movers had been packing up the boxes and the few pieces of furniture they were going to take with them to the new house in Tampa. Nick had been able to pay for the house with the check Tina had gotten for him.


CJ was at Cook's house again for another weekend and Lexie had received another call from Marty Portlowe, her private investigator. She headed over to his office after her goodbye party at the auction house. She wasn't as nervous and scared this time because she was well aware of what she would be getting from him.


"So, you know whatcha' gonna do with this?" Marty asked her.


"Sorta." Lexie shrugged her shoulder as she sat in his office, fingering the newest addition to her file on Christine. She had Christine's address, phone number, and social security number now. At least the number with her professional name on it. There was still no clue on her given name or who the boy's father was.


"I don't want you getting in any kinda trouble with the mister, you hear?"


"I don't plan on it." But Lexie knew trouble would follow and there was no avoiding it.



More weeks flew by as Lexie and Cook hustled to make the house right for a long absence. They would be able to keep the house in L.A., but Nick didn't envision them needing it when they could stay with Aaron and Jill if they ever returned. Lexie didn't want to sell right away, so he didn't put it up on the market but asked her to consider them at least leasing it out.


Nick's cars were packed and either prepared for shipping or storage. Nick didn't have time to decide what he was going to do with each one of them. The Prowler and one of the Porches were the only vehicles slated to go to Tampa. Lexie was hoping to buy a nice sedan when she finally got there. She was tired of Nick's testosterone machines.


Vicki called during those weeks and tentatively scheduled another pre interview when they were settled in Tampa. Jill and Aaron's daughter, Jane, returned in the middle of the month to stay with CJ and Lexie. She was kept busy packing and organizing CJ's toys and clothes. Nick's early arrival in L.A. was cancelled altogether, when he got a chance to do a small promo tour of the New York morning shows. CJ eagerly said goodbye to her friends on her last day of school and was picked up by Lexie so they could spend the night at Jill and Aaron's.


That last evening in L.A. was supposed to be spent with Jill and Aaron sharing pictures and treasures from their trip. No one expected Nick's mother and what she had to say.


"Mom." Aaron greeted her at the door.


"Are they here? CJ and Lexie?"


"Yes, we're taking them to the airport in the morning." He spoke, trying to not sound too cold. Her beef was with Nick, not with him, but he knew that Nick didn't want her near 'his girls' unsupervised.


"They are leaving. Can't I speak to Lexie before they go?"


"I'll have to ask her."


Aaron left his mother in the foyer and pulled Lexie aside and told her that Jane was there to see her. Lexie took it all in stride and went to speak to her.


"Oh, thank god." Jane sighed when she finally saw Lexie.


"What can I do for you?"


"I want to see CJ before you go. . ." Jane pleaded.


"I don't know. . ." Lexie sighed. She knew better than anyone that Nick didn't want her anywhere near CJ. "I figure it's really up to CJ. I'll go talk to her."


CJ, being more gracious than the adults, was somewhat eager to see her grandmother. She also told her in no uncertain terms that if Jane said anything mean about Lexie, she would have to go. It was all Aaron and Lexie could do to keep from laughing out loud.


The visit was pleasant enough and soon little Jane and Jill joined them. Jane left around midnight, happy for this reprieve with her granddaughter and possibly with her oldest son. CJ was even a little sad to be leaving her grandma, but was reassured that they could probably visit any time.


"Are you ready for this, little girl?" Aaron winked as Lexie stood outside Jane's room after tucking the girls into bed.


"I'm more than ready." Lexie smiled as they walked down the hall towards the guestroom. "Tomorrow, I get my new home and I get my husband back." She beamed.


"I'm happy for you, Lex. I'm happy for both you and Nick." Aaron embraced her in the hall. He kissed her chastely on the top of her head as he let go of her. "No two people deserve it more than you two."


"Thank you, Aaron. Thank you." Lexie smiled through brief tears of joy.



The next morning, Aaron, Jill, and Jane dutifully drove Lexie and CJ to the airport for a commercial flight to Orlando. Tears of happiness mixed with a little sadness spilled as everyone hugged goodbye in the terminal. CJ and Lexie made light of getting on the airplane and flying 'home'.


It was a long flight with two stopovers, and by the time they got to Orlando, CJ was tired and cranky. She grumbled all the way down the ramp to the gate and didn't lighten up until she saw her father waiting for her at the end.


"Daddy!" She squealed with delight as she pushed her way through other passengers to get into his open arms. He held her tight and spun around with her as they laughed. He set her down to take Lexie into his arms next.


"My god how I've missed you." He groaned into her ear. Lexie clung to him and could barely contain her tears of happiness to finally be in his arms.


Finally.


"Dad! Dad!" CJ bounced around their embrace. "Where's Grandpa and Poppy and Uncle Brian and. . ."


"Whoa, whoa, whoa, little girl!" Nick laughed as he let his arms relax around Lexie. "They are at Howie's house waiting for us!"


"Is everyone there?" She quizzed him.


"Yes, everyone! Even Uncle Kevin!"


"Really?!" CJ squealed.


"Yeah, even Uncle Kevin!" Nick laughed, reaching for Lexie's carry on. He leaned over and kissed her fully on the lips. "But you're all mine tonight." He purred.


"Yes, I am." She smirked back.


Nick took them to get their luggage and had them loaded into a hired car in no time. It would be reported to them later that their reunion had been so touching that no one felt like disturbing them. CJ actually fell asleep in the car, snuggled up to Nick's left side and he had kept Lexie snuggled up tight to his right.


"I made plans to go to Tampa tonight." He whispered softly to her.


"Tonight?"


"I signed the papers today and I have the keys. Howie is going to keep CJ for the night."


"Are you sure? You haven't seen CJ in . . ."


"I need to see you." He muttered as he pressed his lips against her temple. "I need you tonight, Lex."


The car pulled up in front of the Dorough house, and family poured from it. CJ woke up and at first couldn't decide whom to hug first, but she settled on Brian to start. Lexie made the rounds as well. Leah and Howie were finally able to herd everyone inside for a potluck dinner. Nick made their excuses just an hour later. CJ seemed content to stay with Howie and Leah as Nick pulled Lexie out of the house.


"What are you doing?!" Lexie declared as she stumbled toward the driveway with Nick pulling her along.


"We gotta go!" He laughed.


"That's another limo!" Lexie laughed as he pushed her gently inside.


"We've got another hour to get to Tampa, and I don't want to miss the sunset." He laughed as he followed her in.


Lexie had fallen sprawled on the leather seats and Nick collapsed on top of her, letting the driver close the door on them. He had been given his instructions, and the chauffeur knew where he was taking them.


It gave Lexie a whole hour to touch him and taste him and tease him and flirt with him again. The ride seemed to fly by between Nick's kisses and touches. They arrived at the house, which was lit from the inside, and Nick dismissed the driver from the front step.


"Oh, I don't believe this, Nick!" Lexie giggled as he slipped the key into the polished oak door and it opened with ease. Lexie took a step forward, but he caught her arm.


"Not so fast, Mrs. Carter." He laughed as he bent to scoop her up in his arms. He carried her boldly across the threshold and kicked the door closed behind them.


She squealed with delight as he carried her through the empty house, out the back patio door, and towards the boardwalk to the beach. He set her down at the top of the stairs, taking her in his arms and kissing her passionately.


"I have a surprise for you." He purred against her lips.


Nick took her hand and together they nearly ran down the stairs to the beach. Spread before them was a small picnic area with food and wine and plenty of blankets. They settled down in a bed they made of the blankets and sipped sweet wine from crystal glasses.


The sun set before them, eventually hiding itself under the horizon. Nick set aside their glasses and rolled her easily to her back.


"Welcome home, my love." He breathed before he kissed her. Cherished feelings of love and tenderness swelled inside of her, and she embraced him as never before.


Nick began to pull at her clothing, and she returned in kind. Bare skin became textured with goose bumps as the cool breezes would sneak under their blankets on the sand.


Lexie pulled his hair loose and let it fall as a curtain around her. His naked flesh pressed against her, and she eagerly opened herself to her husband. His body bucked above her, and she gave in to the feel of him and her need for him.


This constant ache of a need that was caused by him and satisfied only by him. She responded wildly to him, and he encouraged her release as they tossed about like stormy currents of the sea. He consumed her, and she surrendered to him as he simply gave her back what she had given to him.


Undying love.