- Text Size +

"Okay, call me as soon as you get to the hotel, okay?" Nick whispered softly in her ear. She could feel the public eyes on them in the airport terminal.


"I will, I promise." She nodded as she stood tucked in his arms.


"I'm going to miss you, but have fun." He smiled, leaning back to look down into her face. "I love you."


"Love you." She smiled back as his lips fell gently on hers. He let go of her and gave her a little pat on the rear as she turned and headed toward the gate. She wagged her finger at him, and he shrugged innocently.


Lexie was leaving on an early morning flight to New York from Orlando. She had asked AJ to borrow his plane, but he already had plans for him and Tina with it and he wasn't going to be anywhere near New York. She had tried not to cringe when he told her. So, she bravely boarded the commercial flight and took a seat in first class. She fastened her seat belt and pushed to the back of her mind the real reason she was going to New York and the fact that she was also lying to Nick. She had never done that before.



The driver looked back at Lexie and asked her, "Are you sure, lady?"


"Yes, take me to that address." She insisted. Lexie had a limo take her luggage to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, and she flagged down this cab to get to Christine's apartment. The cabby looked at her from head to toe in her designer suit and at the diamonds flashing on her hands.


"No offense, lady, but this isn't the best neighborhood."


"Are you going to take me or not?" Lexie insisted.


"No, no. I'll take you." He sighed.


The ride was as bad as it got in New York City, but she had done it before. She watched the richer and newer city fade roughly into old neighborhoods, some that had been run down for generations. He stopped in front of a weather-worn Brownstone in what was obviously a poor, poor neighborhood nearly 30 minutes after leaving JFK.


"Are you sure?" She asked him as she looked out onto the garbage-strewn streets.


"Yes, ma'am. That's the building on this address. You want me to wait?"


"No." She said as she reached into her purse to pay him cash. She left him the change as she stepped from the cab, headed out onto the street and up the stairs to the building he indicated.


Lexie thought she should have to be buzzed in, but the buzzer was gone. She reached for the boarded up front door and it came open as she pulled it. It opened into a dark, garbage strewn hallway that she timidly entered.


2A.


She probably had to go up to the next floor. She headed for the stairs and made her way through the dankness and filth. 2A was at the very top of the stairs. She rapped her knuckles on the dirt stained door. Lexie heard footsteps on the other side, then they went away quickly and then they returned with a loud scraping noise. Lexie knocked again and a small voice said, "In a minute!"


The locks came undone from the other side and the scraping noise was heard again. The door opened slowly and Lexie kept her eyes trained on the opening. The light bled through the door and she startled when she finally looked down to see who was opening the door.


It was a small child; a boy. He had dark curly hair and the biggest green eyes she had ever seen.


Scotty?


"Is your mommy home?" Lexie asked.


"Who are you?"


"My name is Lexie."


Fearlessly, he stepped back and opened the door wide for her.


"My mommy is sleeping. She's sick, but you can come in." He said. Lexie walked into the clean and neat little apartment.


"Scotty?" A weak voice came from the distance. He ran off in that direction, leaving Lexie with the door wide open. With a small grin, she closed and locked the door and walked deeper into the apartment.


"There is a lady here. She's a pretty lady." Lexie heard the boy announce.


"Who? Who's here?! How could you let someone in?!" She scolded him sternly. "I've told you not to talk to strangers!"


"She's a lady, though." He protested.


Lexie heard some scuffling and then with her robe wrapped around her, Christine appeared in the hall where Lexie was standing, trying to tie a scarf around her head.


"Lexie?" She gasped, freezing at the sight of her.


Lexie took a deep breath, "Hi, Christine."


"I'm. . .uh. . .what are you doing here?" Christine asked through her shock.


"I came to talk to you."


"Where is Nick? I don't understand." She groaned, pressing her palm to her forehead.


"Nick's not with me. . .do you need to sit down?" Lexie stepped forward and helped her to the couch.


Scotty had come to her side as well, scrambling up into her lap.


"I don't understand. Why are you here? How did you find me?" Christine asked as she finally looked up at Lexie.


Lexie watched as she pulled Scotty close into her embrace, holding him tightly. He relaxed and then turned those eyes on her.


"I came to see how you were doing." Lexie sighed. "I hired a private detective to find you."


"You what?!"


"You didn't contact us after the meeting."


"Nick made himself perfectly clear." She snorted.


"I know, but I'm hoping we can change his mind."


"We?"


"Listen to me, okay? This is going to sound really crazy, but just hear me out, okay?" Lexie pleaded. "Nick and I have moved to Tampa. There is a pool house, more than big enough for you and Scotty. . ."


"What are you saying?" Christine cut Lexie off.


"I'd like you to consider coming down there."


"Does Nick know about this?" Christine asked and for the first time, Lexie dared to look into her blue eyes. So much like CJ's. . .


"No, he doesn't. . .yet. . .I'll work on that."


"He made himself perfectly clear in L.A. I've seen him angry. . .he doesn't want this."


"Don't worry about Nick. I'll take care of Nick." Lexie insisted. A thick silence fell over the women. "How much longer. . ."


"Do I have? Not much. . .two maybe three months if I'm lucky. "She whispered. "I try to keep going for him, but. . ." Her thin shoulders shrugged under her old robe.


"Have you made arrangements?"


"I've talked to social workers, so he'll get foster care. I pray he'll get adopted, but he's too old. . ."


"I'd like you to consider me and Nick again. . ."


"Nick doesn't want this. . ."


"Is foster care what you want for him? Nick and I can more than provide for him now and his future."


"Nick doesn't want him, so why are you doing this?" Christine demanded softly.


"Because it's the right thing to do."


"I won't leave him where he's not wanted." Christine shook her head; indicating to the boy in her lap.


"I'm sure Nick will grow to love him. I'm sure we both will." Lexie smiled. "Christine, I'm going to be really blunt with you. I know Nick is going to be angry when he finds out, but you're dying and this is the only chance CJ is ever going to have to see her mother. Him being angry right now is nothing compared to what CJ will do to him when she's older and she finds out he denied her the chance to know you." Lexie hardly paused for a moment and she continued on. "I was 9 when my mother died and my father stayed away for almost 12 years. I was an adult before I ever knew him and the anger I had at him drove me those all those years. I'm lucky, Christine. My adoptive father was very supportive, even when my father came back into my life. I love all of my parents very much, but I still wish my father had claimed me when my mother died."


This time, Lexie stopped talking long enough to catch her breath, so afraid earlier that Christine would stop her if she didn't get it all out at once. "CJ and Nick are very close, and she loves him very much." Lexie began again, this time slower and softer. "I wouldn't dream of coming between them, but if this doesn't happen and she learns he kept you away from her, it may hurt her in a way he can't even begin to imagine."


Tears had formed in Christine's eyes, but they hadn't spilled. Lexie surmised that she was very good at keeping her emotions under tight control.


"She'll be angry that her brother was kept from her as well. There is no telling that she'll be able to find him once they are both adults. "Lexie continued. "I would do my best to be a good mother to him once you're gone. I'd never hurt him and I'd make sure Nick never did either. I promise he'll have every opportunity CJ has."


"I heard about the fall. . .I mean. . .can't you have. . ." Christine choked on her words as the tears she had held back, fell down pasty cheeks.


"As far as we know, I'm fine. Nick and I can have children of our own and one day maybe we will, but right now isn't our time. There are other areas of our family that need help."


"Tell me. . ."


"Yes?"


"Tell me about CJ, please."


"She's beautiful, Christine. And so bright and smart and level-headed. I think she's got more sense than Nick sometimes." Lexie smiled. "You'll love her. She's a wonderful little girl."


"What about Nick, what are you going to do?"


"I'm not exactly sure. I may have to play it by ear." Lexie said. "You can come down anytime." Lexie dug through her purse. "Here is the name and number of my travel agent in Tampa, he can make flight and travel arrangements for you on a moment's notice."


Christine gently shook her head. "He hates me."


"No, he doesn't. He's confused, and he has his own questions. He'll have to work them out on his own time, though." Lexie smiled. "Nick doesn't hate anyone, you know that."


"No, he doesn't. . .but he was so angry last time."


"Yes, he was scared. Scared you were going to take CJ away from him, and he couldn't even bear the thought of that. She's all he's had for years. His whole life revolved around her."


"Until you."


"Yes, now he has us both. When CJ was little she once told me that I'm like someone sent to help her take care of him."


"Does she call you 'mommy'?"


"No, I'm 'Lexie'." Lexie confessed. "You're her mommy."


"She doesn't even know who I am." Christine admitted softly.


"She will though, and we'll see to that, okay?"



"Will you go get the boys?" Leah smiled as she leaned over the table to press her warm lips to Howie's ear.


"The big one or the little ones?" He chuckled.


"All of them." She laughed. Howie kissed her again as he stood up. Suddenly he swayed and his hands gripped the edge of the oak table.


"Howie! Howie, are you okay?" She grasped both of his arms to steady him.


"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." He sighed, rubbing his eyes. "Doctor said I might get a little dizzy on the medication."


"You sit down. I'll call the boys in." She ordered.


"No, no. I'm better now. Just stood up too fast." He smiled slowly, hoping to erase the sudden fear in her eyes. "Shhh." He hummed as he kissed her forehead. "I'll go get them."


Leah watched with worry as he slowly made his way towards the back door. He opened it and then picked up his speed as he headed off the deck toward the court. Maybe he would be okay.


"Dad!" John laughed as he posed to pass him the basketball. Howie held out his hands to receive it and his oldest son passed it to him with ease.


"Make a shot, Dad! Make a shot!" Tyler laughed as he bounced around, flailing his arms to guard him.


"I don't know if I can get around you!" Howie laughed.


"C'mon Grandpa!" CJ laughed, running up and giving him a shove from behind. Howie looked over at Nick, who boyishly smiled and gave him the nod.


It was just a couple steps, just a couple dribbles to the basket. He moved and he ran. Howie coordinated the movements between his hands and his feet and then he jumped up toward the basket.


But came down straight toward oblivion.


"Howie!" Nick screamed as he watched him collapse to the ground.


Howie's head hit solidly on the court surface before Nick could reach him. His body convulsed its affliction as Nick slid to his knees at Howie's side. Nick tried to hold him, but his body moved away in its convulsions.


"John! Go get your mother! Leah! Leah! Call 9-1-1!" Nick yelled at the top of his lungs.


John turned and ran back into the house. Leah returned with the cordless phone, but could only think to fall to her knees beside Howie as his convulsions eased and then finally stopped.


"Howie! Howie, no!" She screamed at him. Nick snatched the phone from her and his hands shook as he dialed for help.


Leah took Howie into her arms, ignoring the blood from his ears, nose and mouth.


"No, no, no." She cried over and over, rocking him. "Make them hurry, Nick!"


"They are on their way, I swear." Nick gasped, the phone still at his ear.


Nick looked away from the horror just long enough to look at the children. They were huddled together. Silently watching Howie die. He was dying. Even Nick knew that.


"He's not breathing! He's not breathing, Nick! Help him, Nick!" Leah screamed.


Nick ran to him and pulled Howie from Leah's arms, laying him flat. He tipped back his head and tried to force his own breath into Howie, but he wasn't sure he was having any luck. Nick spit Howie's blood from his mouth and continued to try to breathe for him as emergency crews arrived.


They pushed Leah and Nick aside, and Nick held her as they watched them work on him. The children gathered behind Nick, using him as a shield from what they were witnessing.


Luckily, the emergency crews announced that they got a pulse and he was breathing with the help of a tube. They escorted Leah to the ambulance, and Nick stayed back with the children. When the crews were gone, he hustled them into the house and ordered them to get ready to go.


Nick washed his face, not even looking up to see if he got all of Howie's blood off of him. The kids all rushed to the car and Nick followed with little Caroline in his arms. He got Leah's van keys from John and drove them all to the hospital.


"Here, dial Lexie." Nick ordered CJ as he handed her the phone.


Like she'd done hundreds of times, she hit the speed dial and waited for it to ring and then handed it back to her father. Nick held the phone to his ear, begging her to answer, but she never did.


"Lex, call me, it's urgent." And he hung up.



"Shouldn't you answer that?" Christine asked toward Lexie. Lexie checked the caller ID, but just shrugged.


"It's just Nick checking up on me." She smiled. "I want you to come to Tampa."


"This is never going to work, Lexie." She sadly shook her head. "I'll make arrangements for Scotty when. . ."


"Please say you'll make them with us."


"I don't know." She sighed.


"The offer stands. Always. If you need anything, you call me." Lexie said, handing Scotty another piece of paper with all of her numbers on them. "Let me deal with Nick. Please don't pass over a chance to know CJ."


Scotty looked up at his mommy, holding the paper in his chubby hands. Christine took the paper from him and read it over.


"Will you call?" Lexie asked.


"We'll see." Was all she was willing to commit to as she set that piece of paper down with the travel agent's information.


"Mommy's tired. She needs to go to bed." He sighed as he turned his light eyes toward Lexie.


"I'm sure she does. How would you like to go to the park with me?" Lexie asked, suddenly regretting speaking out of turn.


"I can't I have to stay here with mommy." He said shyly.


"I understand." Lexie smiled. "I'm in town until Monday. My hotel is on there, as well."


Christine only nodded.


"Well, I'd better get going. I have a showing to get to by 3 in Manhattan." Lexie said standing up. "I can see myself out."


"I'll take you." Scotty cheerfully climbed off his mother's lap and ran ahead of her.


Lexie followed the dark curly haired boy through the small apartment to the front door. They said good bye and he closed the door behind her. She listened to him scrape the stool to the door, climb up and lock the door.


"She was a nice lady. . .why are you crying, mommy?" Scotty said as he returned to where his mommy was sitting.


"Did you like her Scotty?" She asked him, tears settling down her cheeks. Because I think she'll make you a great mother.



"Has Lexie called?" Leah asked Nick as they stood outside of Howie's ICU room. He looked over at CJ who pulled his phone of her pocket. She shook her head 'no'.


"Not yet." He sighed. "How is he?"


"My God, where is she?!" Leah groaned.


"What is it, Leah? Tell me." Nick insisted. He put his hands on her shoulders and she looked up at him, her big blue eyes filled with tears. "No. . ."


"No." She shook her head. "He's still alive, but. . ." Leah turned and drew Nick away from where the children sat huddled together. CJ and John were trying to keep Caroline and Tyler entertained.


"It's bad this time, Nick. Really bad. They aren't sure if he's going to fully recover. There is still the chance that he might die. . ." She answered softly. "They have to put him on a ventilator. My God, Nick, I don't know what I'd do without him."


Nick pulled Leah into his arms and held her against his chest.


"Howie isn't going to die, Leah. He's not. He can't. We'll get him through this." Nick whispered into her hair as she tried so hard not to cry out in frustration. Her nails dug briefly into his back, but then she let go and pushed herself away.


"I need to tell the children." She sighed. "Thank you, Nick."


"Lexie will call soon, and I'll tell her." He sighed as they moved toward the children.


"Mommy? Is Daddy going to be okay?" Tyler asked as they approached. Leah took a seat and Nick took one across from her. Tyler climbed into her lap as Caroline and CJ headed for Nick.


"Honey, Daddy is very sick right now. . ."


"Is he going to die?" John asked.


"I. . .I don't know." She answered honestly. "We'll have to pray that Daddy gets better."


CJ watched the concern and fear for his father wash over John's face. She left her dad's embrace and went over to sit by him. She put her arm around his shoulders and said, "I think your dad will be okay."