- Text Size +

"Hey, Daddy." Lexie smiled softly as she walked into Howie's hospital room Friday morning. He was sitting up and turned his head carefully toward her voice. "Everyone finally leave you alone?"


His brown eyes only followed her as she pulled a chair up close to his. The right side of his face was droopy and his right arm laid as dead weight on his lap. He leaned heavily to the left, because that was how they had propped him up.


She took his good hand and stoked his arm gently.


"I've messed up, Dad. I've messed up big." She whispered. Her voice cracked, and she rubbed her eyes with her free hand. She looked into his face and swore his lips moved. She took a corner of the blanket and wiped his mouth dry, leaned forward and kissed his cheek. His eyes purposely locked with hers. "I know. We'll talk later." She winked. "I love you, Daddy."


"I hear you're going to the rehab center on Monday. Lucky you. They'll have you up and moving before you know it." Lexie smiled. "At least one of us will be having a good time."


"What's wrong with you?" Lexie jumped when she heard AJ's voice.


"Nothing. We're were just talking." Lexie looked back at Howie.


"He can't say anything."


"He understands, don't you?" She reached and caressed his cheek. "You always understand, don't you?"


"You look like crap." AJ interjected, sitting on the edge of the bed looking at the both of them.


"Such a charmer, ain't he?" Lexie joked for Howie. "It's just been a long week, that's all. I'm headed back to Tampa today."


"You coming back Monday?"


"I don't know. I'll try." She shrugged.


"You'll try?"


"I haven't talked to Nick yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem."


"When he's heading back into the studio?"


"I said I haven't talked to him yet. I don't know what the hell he's doing." She suddenly snapped.


"Ooooohkay." AJ nodded.


"I'm sorry, Pop. Okay? I'm really, really wiped. I'll have him call you, okay?"


"Sure."


"I'd better go. No chasing nurses, okay, Dad?" She smiled, getting to her feet. She leaned over and kissed his cheek, then pointed a finger at AJ. "That goes for you, too!"


AJ and Lexie exchanged kisses as well and she left them alone. "I don't know, D. I think our girl has got some problems. Some very big problems." AJ sighed as he moved to her vacant chair. "We're going to have to get you better so we can keep an eye on her, right?"



Lexie took the afternoon drive to the Orlando's International Airport. It had been a long night of being upset and having to take care of her brothers and sister. Gratefully, her mother understood why she couldn't stay, not that Lexie told her the truth. The Dorough clan was more than big enough to pick up the slack. Still, a part of Lexie felt as though she was abandoning them.


Lexie found Christine's terminal and watched as she was wheeled from the plane with Scotty in tow. Lexie greeted her as nicely as she could muster. She knew she would have to explain Nick's terms to her on the drive to Tampa.


"Did you have fun flying, Scotty?" Lexie asked him as she pulled into traffic.


"My ears got hurt, but it was okay." He yawned.


"He was so excited, he barely slept last night or on the plane." Christine twisted around to look at him, reaching to pat his knee.


"Looks like the car ride will put him out." Lexie smiled. In the rearview mirror, she could see him drifting off.


"Lexie, is everything okay?" Christine suddenly asked her. Lexie looked over at her briefly, taking in her ill appearance. She wouldn't be able to hide the truth from her for long.


"Nick didn't take the news very well."


"Oh."


"We have to tell. . . her. . . that you're a friend of mine."


"What about. . .?!"


"I don't know what he's thinking Chris, I'm sorry. He's very, very upset. I didn't have a lot of time to tell him. My father had a stroke last weekend when I was visiting you. The whole family is in turmoil."


"I'm sorry, Lexie. Maybe this isn't a good idea."


"No, no. We have to go through with it. You know that." Lexie said softly, reaching to take her hand. "I have to tell you that I'm not exactly sure how we're going to do this."


"I don't care what we tell her, just so I can see her and spend some time with her." Christine squeezed Lexie's hand. "I can't tell you what this means to me."


"I know. I know." Lexie nodded.


"I'm sorry it's causing you problems. You deserve to be happy, someone as kind as you. Nick deserves to be happy, too." Lexie looked over at her, but Christine was looking out the window at the passing scenery. Perhaps Lexie had misjudged Christine's intentions in seeing CJ. Maybe it was Nick and not CJ she wanted to see. "After what I've put him through; what I still seem to keep putting him through. I've brought him nothing but pain. He deserves to be happy, Lexie, especially with you."


Lexie chose to remain silent for the rest of the ride home.



CJ had asked Nick and Brian the usual questions. When is Lexie's friend going to die? What if her little boy doesn't like her? What if he wants to play with her toys? Is he going to go to school with her? Is she going to get sick, too? Is the little boy sick? And in the end, she just really wanted to know if there was anything she could do to make it nice for both of them.


Brian had been Nick's saving grace through it all. They had prepared the story together, telling her that Lexie's friend needed her help right now and that she was going to be helping her. CJ ran upstairs to get into her play clothes and to start on her homework.


"I think it went well." Brian told Nick over coffee.


"I think so. I hope Lexie keeps her mouth shut."


"I don't think that will be a problem." Brian sighed. "I think this might be a good experience for CJ. She seems eager to help and. . ."


"CJ hasn't known anyone who has died."


"All children have to learn these lessons, Nick. We did. Lexie did when she was CJ's age."


"This is totally different."


"I know, I know." Brian finally threw up his hands. He knew there was no talking to Nick now. The doorbell rang and he put his coffee cup down and together they headed toward the front door.


Nick steeled every defense he had before he opened that door. He yanked it open and nearly tripped over the little man standing in front of it.


"Watch out, Nick!" Brian grabbed his arm before he tripped over the four year old.


"Hi!" He smiled up at Nick. Nick's stunned reaction wasn't what little Scotty was expecting at all.


Nick looked down at him and then up at the women. Christine, her thin frame wrapped in an outdated linen suit, stood waiting for Lexie to pull her bags from the trunk.


"I think I'll go help." Brian stepped past Nick and knelt down by Scotty. "My name is Brian. What's yours?"


"Scotty. That's my Mommy and Lexie!" The dark hair boy pointed out.


"Well, it's nice to meet you, Scotty. You think we should help the womenfolk with the bags?" Brian smiled warmly.


"Okay!" He bounced a bit and took Brian's hand. Brian looked back over his shoulder at Nick, who was cursing him with his eyes.


Nick watched Brian approach Christine and they exchanged greetings and gentle hugs. He turned to the rear of the car, reached in the trunk and handed a small-wheeled bag to Scotty who began pulling it toward the impenetrable Nick Carter. Lexie clutched to Brian tightly, and Nick could see her wipe away a few tears as Brian comforted her.


"Excuse me, Mister." Scotty grunted at Nick's feet. He had dragged the bag up the two steps to the door. Full steam ahead, he moved around Nick and into the foyer. Nick decided to go down the stairs and meet the women.


"Brian and I told CJ you were just a friend of Lexie's. She knows you're sick." He said dryly. "I don't want any other conversations with her, do you both understand."


Christine reached out and grasped Lexie's wrist, "Yes." She answered for both of them. "Did you tell her my name?"


"I told her it was Ann."


"My middle name."


"Whatever." Nick wasn't making eye contact with anyone, his eyes focused on the palm trees that framed the driveway.


"That's fine." Lexie said in agreement.


"You hurt my daughter, and you'll be very sorry." Nick ground out between his teeth. "She's my daughter and has been since you walked out on us."


"I understand." Christine nodded. "I don't want to hurt her either, Nick. I just want to get to know her. I'll do it any way you want."


"The pool house is in the back. I had Cook stock it with food. She knows what's going on, too. I don't want you at the main house."


"Fine."


"I had my things moved to a guestroom."


"Nick!" Lexie gasped.


He pointed a sharp finger at her. "Not a word, Lexie. We'll talk about it later."


"Nick." Brian warned him gently.


"Lexie!" CJ squealed, running and throwing herself into Lexie's arm. "How's Grandpa? Did you see him? Is he getting better yet?!"


"Yeah, I saw him. It's going to be a long time before Grandpa is feeling better, but he looked happier today. Remember, he has to go to that special hospital to get better." Lexie said, but she caught CJ staring at Christine. "CJ, this is my friend Ann."


"Yeah, my Dad told me." CJ nodded. She stuck her hand out and Christine accepted the friendly shake. "I got some old toys I don't play with very much for your little boy. Cook thought that might help."


"That's very sweet of you." Christine smiled bravely.


"I found him inside. He said he had to go potty."


"Oh my!" Brian laughed, suddenly taking off inside the house. CJ laughed and ran after him, leaving the three of them alone.


"I'll take the bags." Nick said, turning to pick two of them up.


"I'll get this last one." Lexie said.


"Just remember what I said." He warned them one last time before turning his back on them and going inside.


Christine clutched onto Lexie's arm, her voice taut with emotion, "Oh, God, Lexie, I never wanted this. I should go. I don't want problems for you and Nick."


"Don't worry about me and Nick." Lexie sighed, laying her hand over Christine's. "I think things are going to be okay."



"So, what do you think we should do today?" CJ asked her parents the next morning at breakfast.


"What do you mean?" Nick asked.


"Well, Uncle Brian is still here and Lexie's friend. Should we go to the beach or something nice?"


"We have to go visit Grandpa today, would you like to do that?" Nick asked.


"Yes!" CJ cheered.


"AJ wants you to call him." Lexie added.


"When did he call?"


"I saw him yesterday. I didn't get a chance to tell you last night. He wants to know when you'll be back in the studio."


"Thank for telling me. I'll call him now." Nick scraped the kitchen chair as he got up from breakfast and left to use the phone in the den.


"What's his problem?" CJ joked. "He's being a sour puss."


"Yes, he is." Lexie joked with her. It was no laughing matter last night when they went to bed separately, but what's one more night spent crying herself to sleep, right? "I think you need to go wake up Uncle Brian by honking on his nose."


"That's a great idea!" CJ scrambled out of her chair and ran out of the kitchen. Lexie could hear her all the way up the stairs.


Alone in the kitchen, she cleared the dishes and then decided to check on Christine and Scotty in the pool house. She made sure the gate to the pool was locked and that only the adults knew where the keys were. Christine had fallen asleep very early and Scotty insisted on sleeping with her. She left them tucked together, asleep in the master bedroom.


She knocked on the door, and Scotty was there at the glass door peering up at her. He smiled and she opened the door and walked in.


"Hi, Lexie! Mom's gonna take me down to the beach today!" He bounced happily.


"She is, huh?" Lexie smiled, looking over at her sitting on the couch.


"I feel good today and I might as well take advantage of it." She smiled with a shrug. "Nick isn't planning to go, is he?"


"No, he's taking CJ to Orlando to see my Dad in the hospital. I think Brian's going with him, but I'm not sure."


"Do you want to go to the beach with us?" Scotty asked.


"No, I think I'll stay home. . ."


"Can't you come?" He insisted. Lexie looked up at Christine for some help.


"No, not this time." Christine said, hugging his bouncing form. "Maybe next time."


"Was there enough food here?" Lexie asked.


"Plenty. Cook did a great job. I should thank her."


"I don't know how she feels about things." Lexie shrugged.


"Oh." Christine sighed.


"Well, what's one more person to piss off at this point?" Lexie said sarcastically. "I'm going back to the house. I'm still pretty tired."


"Of course."


"If you need anything, just let me know."


"I'm sure we'll be fine. Thank you."


"Sure." Lexie exited with a shrug.


Brian was waiting when Lexie returned to the main house. "Nick is going to Orlando today."


"Not all the way back to L.A.?" She sighed as she stepping all the way into the house and closing the sliding glass door.


"He thought about that." He told her and her head snapped up. "I talked him out of it. Lexie, I don't know what he's going to do next."


"I know."


"This was not a smart thing to do."


"I know." She agreed, her voice cracking.


"Honey, don't cry." He sighed as he moved to give her a hug, but she pushed him away.


"I'm fine. You're going to Orlando, too?"


"Yeah, Leigh is there waiting for me."


"Fine, I'll see you later then." She turned and left him, walking down the hall and up the back staircase.


No doubt a route to avoid Nick. Brian knew it would take a miracle for this to work out.


Lexie wasn't successful in avoiding Nick. He was in their bathroom getting a few things. He froze when he saw her, but she just moved about her business. She peeled off her clothes as she headed toward the walk in closet to pick some jeans for the day. He was still in the bedroom as she stalked past him naked into the bathroom, slamming the door quite solidly in his face.


As she passed the mirror, there was a slight smile on her face. That was immature, but it sure did feel good. She turned on the water in the shower and Nick's scent lingered there in the steam. I miss him so much. Where are Fairy Bunnies when I need them?