- Text Size +

Lexie drove down to the school to pick up CJ and got her home in time to feed both children a snack. She fed them the dinner at 6 o'clock because neither one of them could wait another minute. She took a plate to Christine, who was worried Nick might come home early. She stayed in the pool house as Lexie stayed outside with the kids and watched them play in the backyard.


They seemed to get along really well and were beginning to look alike to her. Well, they were half-siblings. They did have the same mother.


"There any dinner left?" Nick asked from the deck behind her. She turned back toward him.


"Yes. I can warm it up for you. . ." Lexie began to get up.


"Don't bother." He said curtly and turned to go back inside.


"Ouch." She muttered, shrugging and turning back to the yard.


He disappeared for another hour and then Lexie took Scotty to the pool house to get him a bath and ready for bed while CJ went in search of her dad. She was tucked into bed, and Nick was in the kitchen when Lexie returned.


"So, can we talk now?" His voice a low growl.


"I guess so." She shrugged.


"What was all that about hating AJ?" Nick asked, "When did that start?"


"It comes and goes. I hate how he gets all paternal, but only when he's trying to put me down or control me. I hate that now Howie is sick, he's thinking he can just move in and be my father. I hate how that after you talked to him, he obviously took your side over me and I'm supposedly his daughter?" Lexie sighed. "I don't always hate him, but when I do, it's very easy."


"You taking care of her kid now?"


"His name is Scotty and yes, she needs help. She only has about 3 months. She's dying, Nick, do you get that at all?"


"I get it."


"I'm going to hire a nurse. She's actually sicker than she had let on."


"Fine." Nick leaned against the kitchen counter, crossed his arms across chest, and stared at the floor.


"Did you get dinner?"


"No. I'm not hungry."


"You should eat. Let me make you a plate."


"Forget it. I'm going to bed." He pushed himself off the counter and left her alone in the kitchen.


"Forget it. I'm going to bed." She mocked him. "Well, if you aren't going to eat the last piece of cobbler, I will."



The next morning, Lexie woke to the alarm after apple cobbler induced dreams and decided to return to their usual routine of her getting CJ ready for school. It seemed to work, Nick was nowhere in sight.


After a morning shower and getting into her school uniform, CJ and Lexie headed down stairs for breakfast. Scotty was already there, sitting on his phone books and chomping on his sausage.


"I called his mother." Cook said as Lexie walked into the kitchen. "She knows he's here."


"That's fine." Lexie nodded as CJ took her seat with her plate in front of it.


"I see Nick got that last piece of cobbler."


"Nope, I ate that bad boy and I don't know what you put in that, Cook, but boy did I have some wild dreams. Space aliens, guts, gore. A sight to behold!" Lexie laughed.


"I suppose you wouldn't want another."


"Can we have peach this time?" Lexie winked.


"Sure, hon." She laughed.


At that moment, Nick strode into the kitchen in his robe. His long legs peeking out with each stride. . .damn it, Lexie cursed herself.


"Is that kid going to be here every morning?" Nick suddenly blurted out angrily.


Lexie looked over at the children and Scotty had just stopped chewing in mid bite, his little face blank in the face of Nick's outburst.


"What's wrong with Scotty being here?" CJ broke the silence.


"Yeah, Nick." Lexie crossed her arms and arched a brow at him. "Bitch" was written all over his face and he didn't have to say it.


"You really shouldn't try to think before your first cup of coffee." Cook handed him a sweetened cup.


"Yeah, Dad." CJ rolled her eyes and reached over to tickle Scotty. He started to cackle, his mouthful spitting out.


"Careful, you're going to make him choke." Lexie said as she went over to them with a paper towel to clean up the mess. When she turned around, Nick was gone. Her heart sank, and she instantly knew she shouldn't antagonize him.


"Don't worry, a little humiliation in the morning is good for him." Cook said as she collected the paper towels.



Scotty went with CJ and Lexie as they went to drop her off at school. Lexie took him back to the house before she headed back out to Orlando to visit with Howie. He had wanted to go with her, but it would be way too awkward to explain to her parents right now.


"I'm sorry, little guy, but you're going to have to stay here today." Lexie explained. "There is a nurse coming to visit with your mother today."


"Is she gonna help?"


"Yes."


"So I can go play? Can I go to the beach again?" He asked eagerly. "Can I go to Disney Land?"


"Disney Land? You want to go to Disney World?"


"I want to take my mommy. I want her to be happy."


Lexie reached over and squeezed his hand, "Well, I think you both should go to Disney. I'll make arrangements, okay? But first we're going to hire a nurse to help her out."


"Really? Mommy would like that. Can I go to the beach today?"


"Well, not by yourself. But I can take you this afternoon after your nap. Maybe CJ will come."


"Okay!" He said with a huge smile, but then he fell silent.


"What is it, Scotty?"


"Is that big man going to be there?"


"Big. . .oh, Nick? I don't think so. I think he has to work."


"Okay." And Scotty smiled again.


What has Nick done already? Lexie thought.



"Come on, you can do it." Lexie gently urged him.


Howie lifted his eyes to her, then he looked own at the task before him. In her delicate tan fingers sat on round red peg. He just had to take it from her.


"Maybe this will be more interesting." Lynne Howard, the physical therapist lifted a wiggling Caroline over Lexie's arm and into her lap.


He reached for her instantly.


My angel girls. . .


They were beautiful together. Their dark hair and dark eyes, with Caroline's curls catching sparks of light from the windows. Just a touch of red. . .


Howie leaned forward in his wheelchair and reached for her with his good hand. His fingers locked onto her little shirt and Lexie lifted her to his lap. Lexie made sure his arm was securely around her before she let go. Howie buried his face into her curls.


"Is that Daddy?" Lexie smiled at Caroline.


"Dada!" She bounced on his lap clapping her hands.


"Now, that's some progress." The therapist smiled. "I should have him walking about the same time she does."


"Now that's a great time line." Lexie agreed.


"I'll bring her every day, if it helps. " Leah said. "If you think she'll be okay."


"She'll be just fine and I think it might be the best therapy for Howie." Lynne agreed, "And I'll always up for a little help. Let's move to the mats. She won't be able to fall and he needs to stretch his legs."


Lexie took Caroline as Leah and Lynne took Howie to the mats. With some help, the two women got him on his back on the floor mats. Lynne took Caroline and straddled her on his stomach. Her own cascading blonde locks nearly covered Caroline who found them a great curtain to play hide and seek with her father.


Howie laughed.


It wasn't much, but it was a laugh. Lexie wrapped her arms around her tearful mother.


"Okay, I see I need a ponytail." Lynne grunted as she flicked her hair over her shoulder. "Okay, Howie. Let's get those knees up to support her back."


He got one about half way up on his own and she put it the rest of the way up. Caroline tried to crawl away, but Leah caught her and brought her back to sit near Howie's head.


"The little wiggle wart. " Lynne laughed. "Okay, Howie, now the other. Most of the movement on that right leg was done by Lynne herself, but she got them together. "Okay, just let her loose."


Caroline took off right toward Howie and crawled to his side, sat down, and looked up at Lynne. Lynne furrowed her brow at Caroline as she pushed Howie's knees to his chest, stretching his legs.


"You're supposed to be helping, missy." Lynne told her. She just laughed and slapped down both her hands on Howie's leg. Howie patted his left side on the mat, but Lynne said 'no'. "If you want to touch her, you need to reach for her with that right hand. It will move, Howie. I promise."


The rest of Howie's therapy went well, but he was tired afterwards and fell asleep. Lexie bid him goodbye before heading home to Tampa.


Once there, she stopped and picked up Scotty and then went to pick up CJ. The kids chatted in the backseat as she pulled into the driveway. Lexie hadn't seen Nick all day. He still wasn't home, and she wasn't really sure where he was. CJ didn't seem to concerned as she took Scotty upstairs so she could change out of her school uniform into her play clothes.


"So, have you seen Nick?" Lexie asked Cook as she set out a snack for the children.


"No, but the agency sent a nurse over. She's likable and seems willing to take care of Scotty, too. Scotty has been asking to go to the beach again."


"Yes, both he and CJ want to go. I'll take them."


"Did you tell the agency what hours you want the nurse?"


"Yes, she should be here until 6. Is that too late?"


"No, that'll be fine as long as you're home by six."


"I will be." Lexie sighed as Cook put a soda in front of her. "It's not like I have a life or anything."


"You need to do something about that. What happen to all that work you did in L.A.?"


"Oh, that." Lexie shrugged. "One thing at a time."


The children clambered into the kitchen and settled into the table for a snack. Cook set dinner to bake and after the children were done, Lexie gathered them up and took them down to the beach together. When they returned, Nick was back but in his room. CJ ran in on him and invited him to dinner. Lexie took Scotty's and Christine's dinner to the pool house and returned, hoping to eat with Nick and CJ.


He stayed.


But he didn't eat much, complaining he had had a big lunch. CJ talked about her day, finished eating, and then went upstairs with Nick to finish her homework.


Leaving Lexie alone.


Laps again and sleeping alone. She resigned herself to it and went to the bedroom and put her suit on, returning to pool to let her body slice through the water as she pushed herself.


Nick tucked CJ in bed and even told her that Lexie was doing laps, so she couldn't tuck her in. Nick watched her from their bedroom in the moonlight. She was stroking so hard that her laps were quick and pounding. She's going to be black and blue, he thought. The phone rang and he walked across the room to pick it up at the bed stand.


"Hello?"


"Hello?" a male's voice asked. "Who's this?!"


"I should be asking you that." Nick snapped.


"Nick?"


"Yes, this is Nick Carter."


"Dude, it's me, Jake."


Oh, gesh. Jake Richardson.


"Hey." Nick sighed.


"Sorry to call so late, I didn't know you were there."


Lexie must have told him. Or Kevin did.


"Yeah, I am."


"Okay. . .uh. . .ummm, can I talk to Lexie?"


"She's doing laps right now."


"Yeah, she usually does this time of night. Just tell her I called then, okay?"


"Sure."


"Cool. Later." Click.


Nick was staring at the buzzing receiver when Lexie entered the bedroom, startled to see him there.


"Someone on the phone?"


"Yeah, Jake." Nick hung up the phone. "He said to tell you he called. He call here often?"


"We talk." She shrugged as he moved toward her. He didn't stop or hesitate as he walked past her toward the door. "You don't have to go."


He stopped at the door and turned back toward her, but didn't look at her. "Yes, I do."


But I don't want you to. . .


But I don't want to. . .


He turned and left, closing the door behind him. His heart was racing, and he wasn't sure why. Nick returned to the guestroom feeling his hands beginning to shake. Was it Jake's call? Was the younger man moving closer to Lexie now? Did he really have anything to worry about? He doubted Lexie would cause him any concern, but she was vulnerable right now and Jake was a healthy young man.


It was his own fault. He left her in this position, but she had done this to him as well. She had violated his trust in her and he wasn't sure if he would ever get it back.


Nick stripped and slid between the cool sheets naked, something he hardly ever did. He stretched his body out and tried in vain to fall asleep. An hour passed and he got up, pulling on some boxers and heading out into the hall. He moved past the master bedroom, but didn't hear anything as he stopped and listened. He continued downstairs to the office and sat at the desk. He lifted the receiver, expecting to hear a dial tone, but all he could hear was Lexie sobbing and Jake trying to console her.


"Please, Lex, it'll be okay."


"No, no it won't." She sobbed.


"Yes, it will. You're worrying me sick, girlie. Honey, please stop crying."


"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you didn't call just to hear my problems." She hiccupped.


"Of course I did." He chuckled. Nick heard her giggle through her tears.


"I don't know what I would do without you, Jake."


"I'll always be here for you, Lex. Always."


"I know. I know." She sighed.


"It'll be okay. I promise." And Lexie snorted. "No, I promise." He insisted.


"Thanks, Jake."


"No prob. Remember, I love you, girl."


"Love you, too." She responded.


"Talk to you tomorrow?"


"Yes, call me. I'll be here."


"Cool. Later."


"Later." Click.


Nick hung up after he was sure they had disconnected from each other.