- Text Size +

"How long has she been out there?" Nick asked Cook as they stood on the deck and looked out towards the ocean.


"Hours."


"It's getting too late for her to be out there."


"She's probably exhausted."


"I'll go get her." He turned and headed down the wood stairs to the beach. His walk across the sand was slow and deliberate.


Lexie saw him on the beach and saw him wave her in. She turned her body and the waves pushed her back to the shore with little effort. Once on her feet, she pushed through and headed toward him.


"I picked up CJ and we've eaten. We need to go talk to her and Christine." He handed her a towel.


"Okay." Lexie's breathing was labored.


"Why are you pushing yourself so hard?" He asked as she walked past him to pack her tote bag.


She wrapped a short skirt around her slender waist and looked back over her shoulder at him, "Why did you go for a drive?" She shrugged as she continued, "We'd better go. I'll just change into something real quick."


They walked back up in silence, splitting off for him to go gather everyone and her to go change her clothes. Everyone was in the family room waiting for her. The kids had the TV going with cartoons. Lexie smiled at both of them as she sat on the couch between them.


"TV off." Nick ordered and the screen went black.


"Oh, Dad!" CJ groaned with a laugh. "Hi, Lexie!"


"Hi, C." She smiled as the little girl turned into her arms.


"You smell like seaweed." CJ teased her. "You're going to turn into a mermaid if you stay in the ocean too much."


"I don't think so." Lexie smiled back.


"Lexie! Look what I got on!" Scotty pulled his shirt out from his body to show her the Mickey Mouse proudly sewn on there. "I got this at Disney World."


"I can see that." She reached up and tussled his dark curls. So much like Jake's and those eyes, why didn't I notice sooner? Without thinking, she pulled Scotty close and kissed the top of his head.


Scotty easily accepted Lexie's affection and snuggled closer to sit on the couch closer to her than his mother. CJ moved into Nick's arms and stood between his feet.


"We have something we have to tell you two." Nick began. "Something CJ already knows." Scotty peered up at Lexie and then looked over at his mother.


"CJ, you were right. Ann is really Christine. She is your mother." He spoke so softly that it was barely a whisper. CJ only looked over at her, then she hooked a protective arm around Nick's neck as he kissed her cheek. "There is nothing to worry about."


"Scotty, honey?" Christine reached out and touched his bare little leg. "CJ is your sister."


He didn't seem to know what to make of any of it.


"Is Scotty going to live here?" CJ suddenly asked.


"Yes. He will." Nick told her.


"What room is going to be his?"


"Well, I don't really know that part yet." Nick chuckled.


"He can have mine. I want the big one at the end of the hall."


"Okay, well, we'll talk about that later." He pulled her close and kissed her cheek again. "Right now, I want you to know that I love you very much and this doesn't change anything, okay?"


"What about Lexie?" Tears began to form in her eyes.


"Oh, baby, you know I love you, too." Lexie pulled her into her arms so that she had both children close. "Nothing will ever change that."


"What about you?" CJ asked her mother from within the protection of Lexie's arms.


"I love you, too." Christine swallowed hard.


"Where have you been?"


"CJ. Sometimes when. . ." Nick began.


"She's like AJ, isn't she?" CJ looked up at Lexie, ignoring Nick.


"Yeah, sorta." Lexie shrugged.


"It's okay now, right?"


"Yeah." Lexie nodded.


CJ looked over at her mother and said, "That's okay. It's okay now."


"I'm glad." Christine smiled, although obviously unsure about what they were talking about.


Scotty moved away from Lexie and climbed into his mother's arms, starting to look very scared.


"Honey, you know that Mommy is very sick, right?"


He only nodded 'yes'.


"And you and I have talked about me going away someday. . ."


"I don't want you to go away." He mumbled, looking over at Lexie, Nick, and CJ.


"Well, when I go away you're going to live with Lexie, CJ, and Nick. They are going to take care of you."


"Why do you have to go away?" Scotty asked her.


"I'm sorry, honey, I don't want to. . ."


"I have a book." CJ suddenly volunteered. Christine looked over at her daughter. "Dad gave it to me when Grandpa Bob died. I think I was littler than Scotty, but I know where it is. I can get it. It'll help."


"Oh. . .thank you." Christine stammered. The amazed look on her face was not lost on Nick and Lexie, but they had years of watching CJ do amazing things.


"Come on. " She pushed off from Lexie and took Scotty's hand. Together they left to go up to her room.


"I don't understand." Christine said when they were gone. "What are you two talking about?"


"Me and CJ? Oh, my father, AJ McLean." Lexie said with a small smile. "You see, my mother died in an auto wreck when I was 9. My father hadn't been around much and when it came time to take custody of me, he didn't do it. He signed over his rights to Nick's band mate, Howie Dorough. I never saw my father again until about five or so years ago. Now with basically two dads, she and I have talked about a lot of things. She calls my adoptive father, Grandpa and my biological father, Poppy. She's found a way to understand what happened and that, at times, parents do come back and make good with their kids. That's what AJ did, and that's what you're doing. I think she just drew that conclusion."


"Now I know why she is so amazing." Christine sighed.


"This is a little girl who was talking about fate this morning." Nick chuckled. "She gave Lexie this whole speech about that is why she came to us, to help her figure out things with her mother."


"I think she right. I think life sent you an angel, Nick, and I don't think it's just CJ."



The children watched a movie until it was time to go to bed. Scotty took CJ's children's book about death and dying with him. CJ hugged her mother good night before telling Nick he had to tuck her in. Lexie stayed in the family room as Christine and Nick went their separate ways.


She ran through the channels of the satellite dish and was watching a documentary on the Amish when Nick returned.


"Interesting?"


"Somewhat. I know most of this. How did it go?"


"She was clingy, but okay." He came around and sat on the black leather couch next to her. He stretched his arm out along the back, his fingers within millimeters of touching her.


"I don't think Scotty really understands."


"He's only four. Of course he doesn't." He lifted his hand and rubbed his eyes.


"How was your drive?"


"I got a ticket."


"Couldn't talk them out of it?"


"Didn't even try. How was your swim?"


"Good."


"You must be exhausted."


"Not really. I've been swimming a lot."


"You shouldn't be in the currents alone."


"I know."


"One good riptide. . ."


"I know."


"I've got to go to Orlando in the morning. I've got to finish mixing." He finally sighed, letting his arm drop again.


"I know."


"You're still welcome to come to the photo shoot on Wednesday and the video shoot this weekend."


"Thanks. I'm sure I can make them. The doctor is coming back Thursday."


"No problem, I'll be here."


"I have to ask." Nick suddenly began. Oh no, what?! "Are you ever going to make up with AJ?"


"I guess." She shrugged.


"The kids are asking about you."


"I'll see them, okay?" She looked over at him, studying him.


"What?"


"Nothing. I'm going to go take a shower." She turned the TV off and then headed upstairs without another word.



Scotty was at the door in the morning for breakfast, and Nick actually let him in. Lexie stumbled in after CJ, and the four of them ate breakfast together. The phone rang and Cook answered, bringing the handset to the table.


"Lexie, it's for you. Says they are your secret admirer." She giggled, handing it over to her.


Damn it, Jake! "Hello?" She asked.


"Lexie? It's Vicki, Vicki Winslow."


"Oh, Vicki!" Lexie gasped. "How are you?"


"Better yet? How are you? How's Tampa treating you?"


"Good, busy though."


"I bet. I had to call. My producers don't want me to put off our interview too much longer. With Nick's album about to come out, maybe we could do it in the next week or so."


"Oh, no, I couldn't. . ." Lexie began, then Nick started tapping her arm and shaking his head 'no'.


"Do it." He whispered. "PR."


"It'll be great exposure for Nick, and I think it will tie in nicely. . ."


Nick kept poking her arm.


"Look, I'm sorry, Vicki, but now is not a good time. My father is sick and. . ."


And poking her arm.


"I heard about that and I'm sorry. I still think it would be a good idea. . ."


And poking her arm.


"No, I. . .alright all ready! I'll do it!" Lexie exclaimed, swatting his hand away.


"Oh, well, uh. . .great." Vicki smiled. "How is next week for you?"


"Fine, any time."


"Monday?"


"Monday is fine." Lexie agreed.


"Good, I'll be at your house around 9:00."


"That's good. I'll see you then."


"Great! I'll see you then, Lexie."


Click.


"Damn it, Nick. I was on the phone!" She groaned as she turned the handset off.


"How can your turn down an interview with Victoria Winslow at a time like this? When my album is about to come out?"


"Your album isn't due for another three months, and she's not even talking about you during this." Lexie slid her chair back and threw down her napkin. "I do not need one more thing to worry about!"


She left the kitchen and Nick looked over at the children.


"Oh, oh. Lexie's mad at you." Scotty said.


Nick looked over at his blank little face. "I know, I'm in big trouble now."


The two stared at each other until Nick let out a little smile and Scotty returned it.



The rest of the day was routine. CJ asked a few more questions here and there, including if she could stay home to spend time with Christine and Scotty. Nick said no, but said she could stay home in Tampa this weekend with them instead of coming to the video shoot. He talked to Cook about spending the time at the house while he and Lexie were Orlando. She agreed with a secret little glint in her eye. Nick caught it and thought she was on to something.


Perhaps if they spent some time alone. . .


"What are you doing today?" Nick asked Lexie as they picked through car keys deciding what to drive. She found her sedan's keys on the floor after his little tirade yesterday. She bent down to pick them up and turned to face him with one hand on the knob to the garage.


"I've got to go visit Dad. You need me to drive CJ to school?"


"No, I've got it." He nodded, but she turned quickly and opened the door. "Uh, hey! Uh. . .maybe we could have lunch or something."


She turned and stared at him. "Uh. . .sure. Call me."


"Cool." He nodded.


"Cool." She raised an eyebrow at him and then turned to go get in her car.


"Do you have a date with Lexie?" CJ smiled from behind him.


"Yeah, I think I kinda do." He smiled at her.


"I think you better bring her some flowers." CJ hitched her backpack over her shoulder and marched past him to head into the garage. "And some perfume. Girls like perfume."


"Yeah, but what if the girl likes someone else." He sighed when she was too far to hear him.



Lexie went about her routine, seeing her father and then seeing her siblings. She never did have a chance to have lunch with Nick. AJ ordered it in, and she didn't want to deal with him until tomorrow. That's when Nick told her that AJ wouldn't be there. He and Tina were taking a short break through the weekend and taking the kids to a water park in Toronto.


She went home to Tampa and took the kids to the beach while Christine rested. She never said another word to Christine about Scotty's father because she didn't even want to think about it. She wanted to tell someone and that would normally be something she would have told Jake, but she couldn't even tell him.


Her mother noticed she was preoccupied and while she tried to press Lexie for information, she refused to answer. Lexie wasn't even sure how much her parents knew about her bringing Christine to Tampa. If they even knew. AJ had promised to keep them out of it and hopefully the rest of the boys did as well.


Her phone rang as she sat on the beach watching the children.


"Hello?"


"Lexie?"


"Gina? Hey, girl, how are you?"


"Lexie, I need to ask you something."


"Shoot." Lexie shrugged.


"Was Jake with you last weekend?"


Oh, shit. They had never discussed Jake's relationship with Gina that had started back in L.A. She didn't know what to say. . .


"I saw him. He bunked here when he was talking to a few radio stations for work, why?" Lexie cautiously answered.


"Thank God." Gina sighed with a laugh.


"Why? What's up?"


"He just flew out from school last weekend and didn't tell me where he went. I know this sounds shitty, but I wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth or not." She laughed.


"Dang, girl, what did you think he was doing?"


"Who knows? I don't know why I'm so paranoid, hell, I never have been before."


"You and Jake serious?"


"As serious as Jake can be."


"Oh."


"It's long distance, ya' know? I know he's going back East after graduation. I don't even know why he still insists on us staying together sometimes. I mean, we never see each other."


"Have you tried breaking it off with him?"


"A few times, but he keeps asking me not to."


"Don't you have any. . .uh. . ."


"Feelings, Lex?" Her friend laughed. "Of course I have some feelings for him, Lexie, but it's not like. . .well, you and Nick. I don't think he's 'the one' if you know what I mean."


"Yeah, I know what you mean."


"I doubt he's been faithful or anything."


"Really?"


"Hell, every time I call his dorm, he's got another girl up there answering the phone." "He does?!" Lexie gasped.


"Yeah, you sound surprised."


"I am, I guess. I mean, we never really talk about anything other than our unholy Backstreet relations."


"Girl, sometimes, I'm not even sure if he's sure of who he's talking to on the phone." Gina laughed.


Had he simply just used me? Was it all some kind of frat prank? Did I risk everything to be the butt of some kind of sick joke?