- Text Size +

The alarm buzzed by his head and Howie slapped it off. He turned back toward the center of the bed, hoping to wrap his arms around a certain warm body. Small feet connected with his thighs and he cracked open his eyes.


His second son, Tyler was sound asleep between him and Leah. Howie couldn’t even remember him getting into bed with him. Leah stirred to get up and Howie brought Tyler into his arms. Tyler obliged him by snuggling closer. Howie knew he had to do something; he was missing too much of his children’s lives working like this.


Leah got up, pulled on her robe, and looked back at Howie and Tyler. She knew how bad Howie felt. For him, family always came first, but the current business climate was keeping him at the office more. He had been upset when he missed Caroline’s first steps. She walked to his side of the bed and learned in for a kiss on Howie’s cheek.


"How long has he been here?" Howie whispered.


"Since around 2." Leah whispered back.


"Daddy?" Tyler asked.


"What Ty?"


"Can you stay home today?" Tyler asked, looking up at him. Howie closed his eyes and held Tyler close again.


"Not today, but you have to go to school. I’ll be home early."


"You promise?"


"I promise." Howie said, new tears burning his eyes.



Jill stared out the huge picture windows of the restaurant where she would be meeting the others for lunch. Fine beige linen suit gave way to the dark wine colored one of Tina's and the gentle blue of Sabrina's.


"I’m glad you guys could make it." Jill smiled as Tina and Sabrina had seats at the table.


"Nothing says, 'I want you to be there' like 'I’ll buy you lunch.'" Tina smiled.


"What’s up? You pregnant already?" Sabrina teased.


"No, not yet." Jill laughed.


"The way you and Lexie talked about them, you’d think those Carter boys had the Midas touch." Tina teased. Sabrina laughed with Tina as Jill turned six shades of red.


"Okay, stop it." Jill giggled.


"Well, it’s not like we don’t know what you guys are doing every night." Sabrina continued.


"Stop it." Jill laughed with her embarrassment.


"Okay, okay. What’s the little pow-wow about if it’s not about Baby Carter." Tina said.


"It’s about Lisa Andrews." Jill smiled.


"She’s coming west after all?" Sabrina asked.


"Yes, but Howie probably just found out. She’s resigning today when he gets in. I haven’t offered her anything firm, do you guys still want her?"


"Why all of a sudden?" Tina asked.


"Well, it’s not all of a sudden, she’s actually called me a couple times. I get news through Aaron’s record company too. According to Lisa, now that Jive has lost their cash cow to SDR, they are looking at a hostile takeover."


"This is insane! When are those guys going to leave Nick alone?" Tina snapped.


"Well, Howie offered the contract to Nick after Lisa advised him not to. He's also signed a about two dozen other of their acts and paid their attorney fees to get them out of their contracts with Jive. They are after him as well as my dubious brother-in-law."


"That’s just business, right?" Sabrina asked.


"No. It’s personal." Tina sighed. "What has Howie said?"


"He doesn’t know yet." Jill sighed.


"Not about Lisa, about the takeover."


"Lisa says he doesn’t believe it could happen. She’s been watching the stock changing hands. . ."


"I better look into it." Tina said.


"I think you better. After Lisa resigns, she’s going to tell him to call me."


"He’s gonna be pissed you wooed her away." Sabrina said.


"Probably, but that’s just business. Her daughter Missy is going to school up in Seattle and the other is ready for a change. I think Lisa is ready to get out Orlando." Jill said, "Which brings us to our next topic. Do you guys still want her? And do you still want to start up the Entertainment Law division?"


"With you leaving, do you think this is such a good thing?" Tina asked.


"Well, I’m only going on vacation and you two are full partners. I’m not suggesting we make her a partner. . ."Jill said.


"Well, I want her. I think an entertainment law division would be good for the firm." Sabrina said.


"But that’s just more work. . ."


"Well, we have a responsibility to our employees to keep the firm in good financial shape. They have families to support, just like we do." Sabrina said to counter Tina.


"I’m with Sabrina on this. It’ll be good for the firm." Jill said.


"I’m in." Tina nodded. "What else?"


"So, I take it Lisa is in, good! Next? I think we better look into signing Sweet D. Records and getting Howie Dorough on board." Jill said. "I don’t want my brother-in-law to be unemployed again."


"I assume you want me to take care of that?" Tina said.


"Yep. Here’s his card, see what you can do." Jill said, handing it to him.


"Piece of cake." Tina smiled.



The house was dead quiet all around Nick. He noticed that even Marcus and Anthony were gone as well as Cook who was out running errands. Lexie had taken CJ to school this morning and went to a job interview with her former roommate, Gina, afterwards. That left him all alone in the house and he was where he usually went when he wanted to think. The nursery.


The would-be nursery.


They hadn't papered the walls yet, but the rolls of wallpaper still sat in a bag under the unmade crib. It had been nearly a year and Lexie had mentioned this morning that it might be time to put these things away. He thought she was worried about him because he did spend time in here for hours just rocking in the rocking chair he had bought when CJ was born. He always liked this rocker, because he had had it custom made for his long legs. He ordered the ottoman for Lexie to make it easier for her to rock when she was pregnant.


His toe would tap it periodically as he rocked.


"Nick?" Lexie asked quietly as she stood in the doorway of the nursery. He was sitting in the rocking chair, rocking and looking out the window. Tucked into his lap was a little stuffed pink bunny he had bought her for DJ early on.


"Hmm?" he said, not looking over at her.


"You been in here all morning?" she asked.


"No, I took some calls." He nodded absently.


"You okay?" she asked.


"Huh? Oh, yeah, I’m fine." He said, finally smiling at her. "How’d your interview with Gina go?"


"Fine. It was only for presentation purposes. We've worked together before and she knows what I can do." Lexie said, walking into the room.


"When do you start?" he asked as she sat on the floor across from him.


"After you leave." She nodded. "It's just a temp job, like I said. About six weeks to clear out this one huge estate she has coming into the auction house. Nick, what are you doing in here?"


"Uh..nothing." he stammered, the bunny in his hand. His head dropped to his hand and he rubbed his eyes. "I was missing her, that’s all."


"Are you ready to start packing these things away?" Lexie asked.


"No." he said, barely audible. "I’m not ready yet."


"Okay." She choked. "It’ll all be here when you get back, I promise."


"Maybe you should just do it while I’m gone." Nick said.


"Is that what you want?"


He just shrugged, lifted his head and looked out the window. Lexie could see the unshed tears in his eyes as the sunlight filtered onto his face.


"Will you be back for the trial?"


"I think so, I haven’t talked to Howie yet." He nodded.


"They are only calling me to testify. . ."


"I’ll be here for you." He said. "I want some security. I don’t want you to get hurt again."


"I bet Aaron would do it."


"He probably would, but he needs to get on with his life and quit taking care of me." Nick said.


"Nick, you know Aaron loves you and would do anything for you."


"I know."


"Talk to Dad, see what he says. We’ve got over a month."


"I know." He nodded.


"Nick, what is it? What’s wrong?"


"I don’t know." He said, finally giving up trying to hold it in. "I’m worried about CJ and the trial and recording. . ."


"Nick, we’ll talk to CJ tonight about me and AJ. There is nothing we can do about the trial and the recording, well, we all know you’ll be brilliant." She said, getting up to sit on the ottoman at his feet.


"It’s been years, Lex. . ."


"I know, but this album is going to be a hit. Think about it Nick, you have complete creative control over it. When was the last time that ever happened? Huh? Never!"


"AJ is going to be there."


"Oh, he’ll produce a few songs, but you don’t even have to use them if you don’t want to." Lexie said. "Besides, if AJ can get you out of those god awful suits, I’ll be eternally grateful to him."


"A couple more tattoos maybe?" he chuckled.


"You have enough of those." She smiled. She got up and sat in his lap. She took the bunny from his hands and held it in her lap. She fussed with it a long while before she spoke again. Nick wasn't looking at her, he was continuing to stare out the window feeling the silence between them. "Next year, maybe after you’re home from the promotional tour. . ." she began quietly.


"What?"


"We can try for another baby." Lexie said shyly.


"Really? Are you sure?" he asked, suddenly full of more hope.


"Yeah, I’m sure." She smiled. He pulled her close and kissed her.


"What about your Masters. . ."


"I can still work on it. I’m not really in that much of a hurry for it any more. Not going to school has freed me up to take the estate assignment with Gina at the auction house. I miss the hands on." She shrugged.


"I know you still have your own dreams, regardless of marrying me." He said.


"My dreams are wherever you are." Lexie said.


"Lexie." He whispered.


"The line is real blurry where I end and you begin. You know that, Nick." She said.


He pulled her close and kissed her gently, but earnestly.


"What did I do? What did I do to deserve you?" he groaned against her lips.



"I wish you’d reconsider." Howie sighed, letting Lisa’s resignation letter slip from his fingers and onto the desktop.


"I can’t."


"Jill Carter finally got to you?"


"No, I went to her. Howie, it’s better this way. I’m just a liability to you and you know it."


"You know I don’t believe that." Howie said, getting to his feet. "There aren’t many people I would trust with this company."


"I know and I appreciate it." She smiled. "But Missy is at school on the West Coast, Regina is looking forward to a change. It’s good for you and it’s good for my family."


"You still think they are going to try a hostile takeover?" he asked, crossing his arms and learning against his desk.


"I know they are. It’s industry talk. I told Jill my suspicions, Howie."


"Why did you do that?!"


"I want Tina Ryans out here to help you."


"That redhead?"


"Yes, the one who helped Nick."


"I don’t do her kind of business."


"I know you don’t, but Jive does. She speaks their language and they are still licking their wounds from the last time. Let her help you."


"I don’t think I want that for my company."


"Howie, it won’t be your company for very long if you don’t do something." Lisa said sternly. "I know you want your children to have a future."


"You’re pulling out all the stops." He smiled darkly.


"I’m right, Howie. You know that. I can’t help you, but she can. Orlando is no longer the happy little competitive community it once was. Things have changed Howie. Jive Records wants SDR, but moreover, they want Nick Carter."


"You told me that."


"I told you signing him would be dangerous."


"He’s a good friend, hell, he’s my son-in-law now!" Howie chuckled absently.


"I know." Lisa nodded. "Nick is still a viable entertainer, don’t get me wrong. Jive stills sees him as their cash cow and now he’s living in your pasture. They know he will make you a lot of money, Howie."


"Provided I still have a company?" Howie asked.


"Yes, provided you still own this company." Lisa nodded.



Nick and Lexie let their honeymoon continue that brief afternoon, sneaking away to their room for a session of lovemaking. Lexie lay marveling at the strength of his arms that surrounded her. She traced her finger down his arm to his watch, then turned it to check the time. She tried to pry his arms off of her, but he held on tighter.


"Nick!" she giggled. "Let go of me! I have to go pick up CJ."


He pulled her back to him, his warm flesh pressing against hers.


"Let's send Cook." He whispered hotly in her ear.


"I can’t. I promised to take her shopping." Lexie said.


"For what? What could that child possibly need?" he groaned, throwing himself back on the bed dramatically. "Oh, no Lexie!" he said, sitting up quickly.


"Nick! She’s just a little girl. I know you hate your birthday, but she really wants to get you something!" Lexie groaned back, sitting up as well.


"You aren’t planning a party or something are you?"


"No, no." she said.


"Yes you are!"


"I’m not, I swear."


"But someone else is. . ."


"Your mother called. . ."


"You made a pact with the Devil?"


"Nick!" Lexie scolded. "It's just family, a few friends. . ."


"Not if my mother is planning it." He groaned.


"Nick, I approved the guest list myself."


"How many?"


"About 30."


"Thirty people? I don’t know 30 people." He groaned, flopping back down.


"Yes you do." She laughed at him. "And they are fun people too."


"Who?"


"Well, your family and a few people from the your fan club. . ."


"Fans?!"


"Fan Club!" she sighed. "Nick, this is vital to getting your album out. . ."


"You did make a pact with the Devil!" he said, getting out of bed.


"Actually that was my idea." She said, getting out on her side.


"What for?"


"I haven’t seen Karen and Nikki in ages!"


"Great, my wife and the president and vice-president of my fan club hanging out together. . ."


"Well, yes. I figured I might has well have some fun." She said, pulling her clothes on with a laugh.


"You know I hate this."


"I know and if you don’t act surprised, I will kick your ass."


"You’ll what?"


"You heard me!" she said, pulling on her shoes.


"That I’d like to see." He laughed, getting up and walking toward her. "Wooo, I’m so scared."


"I’ll tell your mother."


"You wouldn’t."


"I would and I will. You will show up to the party, you will be surprised and you will have a good time. Is that clear?" she said, getting to her feet and turning to put her hands on her hips.


"No." he smiled, putting his hands on his naked hips.


"I have your mother’s phone number programmed into my cell phone."


"You won’t do it."


"I won’t? It should go something like this. . .Jane, it’s Lexie. . .your oldest son is being a party pooper and won’t come. . ."


"Very funny, Lex." He laughed.


"Please be good about this? CJ is very excited about it." Lexie finally smiled.


"For my girls, I’ll go and even, maybe, have a good time." He smiled, leaning over to kiss her goodbye.


"Thank you, Nick."


"Thank you, Lexie." He smiled with a wink. "And don’t get me another watch!" he called after her.


"I’m not getting you another tie either!" she yelled back.