- Text Size +

Every night for the next month, Nick made love to Lexie. He could not get enough of her and soon her building desire matched his own. Absorbed in each other, it was hard to think of the pending separation for Nick's upcoming 2-month long promotional tour that started the day after the release party.


"Okay, what do you think? Blue or black?" Nick held up the two separate designer suits for her to inspect before he packed for the party in Orlando.


"I'd say. . . black." She mused as she watched him.


"Are you sure?"


"That's what I said, didn't I?" She waved a hand at him and continued her own packing around what Cook had done.


"Makes you look slimmer." Cook nodded.


"What? I'm fat?!" Nick gasped.


"Oh, thanks, Cook." Lexie moaned.


"No, no, honey." Cook laughed. "I think that one is more tailored. It looks nicer. You're fine, Nick."


Nick watched Lexie painfully stretch her back.


"Are you okay?" He asked as he put the black suit in the travel bag.


"Just my ribs. I think I might have stretched them too much swimming against the surf yesterday."


"Maybe you should see someone."


"Naw, I'm fine." She winced. "I'm sure it'll pass."


"Okay." He sighed. "Where is your dress?"


"It'll be at the hotel. I didn't want to drag it all the way back to Tampa when Portia was done with it."


"Portia Arnaughton. I'm afraid to see what that cost me." Nick joked.


"A pretty penny, trust me." She wagged a finger at him. She turned and lay down on the bed and watched them finish packing. Before she knew it, she was falling asleep and Nick woke Lexie an hour later.


"Hey sleepyhead." He joked as he gently shook her awake. "Have I been too rough on you these nights that you need naps?"


Lexie woke with a yawn and another painful stretch, "No, no. I think the pain is making me tired."


"I wish you'd see the doctor about your ribs." Nick got off the bed and pushed the bags closer to the door. "I need you in tiptop shape in three days for the release party."


"Not to mention my birthday party." She smiled up at him as he sat on the edge of the bed.


"Are you going to stay with your folks and watch the interview Saturday?"


"Yeah, I don't want to be alone and watch it, since you'll be in New York at VH1." She rolled onto her back. "Besides, they want to see the kids."


"And hoard you a little around your birthday?"


"Probably a little more of that, too."


"Are they having a private party, too?"


"I think just family. We're planning to watch the interview together."


"You know, I'm not sure how AJ is going to take it."


"I know, I've had the same thought." Lexie sighed. "But what can I do? I answered her questions as honestly as I could. I think it's obvious I can't do anything that is going to make him happy."


"God, I hate hearing you talk like that."


Lexie just shrugged. "On the surface, we're just fine. Don't worry. No one at the party will know any different. It's not about me, any ways, it's about you and the album."


"No, it's about you, too." He chuckled.


"Yeah, but just a little bit." She smiled back. "You can take the thunder and run with it."



The day before the party, Lexie couldn't ignore Nick's pestering about seeing a doctor before going to Orlando for the long weekend. She called and got in late that morning.


"So, you've been tired a lot lately?" She asked Lexie. "How has your urination been?"


"Damn, I seem to be peeing a lot, now that you mention it." Lexie sighed. "I really think I just strained my ribs swimming."


"Lexie, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but the date you gave the nurse about your last period was nearly six weeks ago."


"Oh my. . ."


"I can see that this is coming as a surprise. Look, lets just run a quick pregnancy test." The doctor got up and patted Lexie on the knee.


Lexie's heart began to race. She hadn't expected this, not at all! She and Nick had made love a lot over the last month, sometimes more than once a day. She had missed him so much, and this part of their marriage, she hadn't given it any thought. She had quit using birth control when it became obvious that she and Nick weren't going to be together for a long time. She had had two cycles since she had been with Jake, so there was no doubt it was Nick's child.


Lexie followed the nurse to the bathroom, gave a urine sample and then she sent Lexie back to the exam room to disrobe for a complete exam.


When the doctor returned, she sat down across from a nervous Lexie and told her the results.


"It was positive, Lexie. You're pregnant."


"Are. . . are you sure?" Lexie stammered.


"Yes, I'm sure." She smiled with a nod. "You think your partner will be supportive of your pregnancy?"


"I guess so. I mean, Nick and I had planned on trying again." Lexie stammered, tears coming to her eyes. "I guess this is what I get for not being careful with my own husband." She tried to joke. The doctor chuckled and handed Lexie a few tissues, "I just wasn't expecting this, that's all."


"Let's do an exam, see how you're doing, then we can start scheduling some follow up exams."



It was true. The doctor estimated that she was approximately 4 weeks along and that the rib pain was her body adjusting to the changes. She shook and was in tears all the way home. Confused, she sought Nick out in the studio he had built over the garage.


"Hey, baby." He smiled as he pulled off his headphones and turned down the sound. "How did the doctor's visit go? Oh, baby!" Nick stood and took her in his arms as Lexie burst into tears.


Now Nick was scared, especially when she wouldn't calm down easily. It took a good 10 minutes before she was calm enough to talk. They sat cuddled on a leather couch in the corner.


"Oh, Lexie, you've got me scared now." He soothed her. "Just say it, baby, it'll be okay." Lexie sat up across from him and wiped his eyes. "It's not bad, is it?"


God, what if something serious is wrong with her? He took her hand. God had to know he couldn't live without her. This last month had been about clinging to her, creating a life with her, and not letting her go. Trying to make her believe how much he loved her and couldn't live without her, regardless of whatever choices she made.


"I guess there isn't a good lead in for this." She half smiled. "Nick, I'm pregnant."


The stunned silence echoed in his blue eyes as they blinked not once, not twice, but three times, before he spoke.


"Are you sure?"


"Funny, that's what I asked the doctor." She quirked.


"Oh, my God. . ." Nick sighed. "Are you happy?" How far along is she?


As if she read his mind, she said, "Yes, I'm happy. I mean, I'm only four weeks along." She chuckled, "Actually, I think I'm still stunned."


"No wonder you've been so tired." He smiled.


"Are you happy?"


"Oh, God. I. . . I'm freakin' amazed. This is so damn perfect, Lexie." He leaned over with fresh unshed tears in his eyes. "I love you so damn much and now this. It's everything I could ever want with you, Lexie. Everything. Yeah, I'm happy." He pulled her into his arms and held her. Letting go of her, he asked her, "Are you okay, though? Is the baby okay?"


"Everything is fine. I healed well after losing the last one and she was very optimistic about this pregnancy being like clockwork." Lexie nodded.


Nick leaned back heavily into the couch. "God, I can't leave on this tour now."


"Of course you can! Damn, Nick." She laughed.


"I want to be with you every minute of every day." He sighed. "I don't want to go now."


"Nick, there will be plenty of time for us when you're done with this PR tour. Of course you're going to go."


"When should we tell people, I mean, should we wait until later?" Nick asked as he leaned forward.


"I don't know why we can't just tell them now." Lexie shrugged. "I mean, something could go wrong, but I don't think it will. Dr. Stone seemed very sure it would be textbook."


"Announce it at the party?"


"I don't know about telling the whole damn world at once." Lexie laughed.


"What about the kids? What do you think Scotty is going to say?"


"I think CJ will be fine, but I don't know about Scotty. Maybe we should wait until we can ask the therapist."


"I should be here and I don't think we should just tell him and then I leave. He's having a hard enough time with me leaving as it is."


"I agree. So we wait."


"Yeah, for just a little while. It'll be our mad little secret."


"What if I get as sick as I did last time. People will figure it out."


"Maybe you won't get as sick. We'll wing it. If the adults know, that's fine as long as they don't tell the kids." Nick said, "I think we can count on them."



They made it to Orlando on time, leaving Scotty with the younger children at Howie and Leah's and taking CJ with them. Leah rode with them; Howie stayed home because he wasn't ready for a public appearance quite yet.


They arrived at the hotel in time to change, go to the basement, get in a limo, and ride around the block to make the red carpet at the same hotel.


"This is insane." Lexie sighed as they sat at the end of the line of limos. "We're just sixteen floors up."


"I know." Nick laughed, "but this is the way it is. Before we go in, I have a birthday present for you."


"At least Mom and CJ got to just take the elevator down to the ballroom." She moaned, laying her hand on her forehead. "What did you get me? I'm not taking off these pearls you gave me on our romantic weekend."


"I wouldn't hear of it." He smiled, took her hand and held it, palm up. He dropped a house key in her hand.


"Oh. Uh, Nick, I have a house key." She mused as she turned it over to in her hand.


"Not to a house in the Keys."


"Oh. . . my. . ."


"I haven't actually seen it or actually even signed for it, but I'm hoping you can go there next week and see if you like it. If you do, it's yours." He smiled. "Happy birthday, baby." He leaned over and kissed her.


"Oh my God, Nick! This is wonderful!" She threw her arms around his neck. "Where is it? Oh, God, it is on the beach? You haven't seen it at all?"


"Nope, but here's a printout on it." He pulled a wrinkled piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to her. "It's small, just three bedrooms, but it's right on the beach. Of course."


"Oh, how cute is that?!" She smiled at the bungalow.


"I just didn't have time to get down there myself, and it was the only thing I could think of. I mean, you already have a car and diamonds and. . ."


"Oh, no, this is perfect."


"Go see it before you say you really want it. We can spend the weekend there when I get back."


"Oh, God, that's right, you're leaving." She looked sad as she laid her palm against his cheek.


"I don't want to." He sighed, sounding just as sad as she looked.


"Liar." She slapped his thigh. "You know you want to go sing." She teased him.


"I do, but I want you to come with me." He sighed as they finally pulled up in front of the hotel.


Lexie dropped the key back into his pocket as the car's door opened. Nick stepped out to the flashes of light and shrieks of fans. He waved a few times, then reached back and helped Lexie from the car. The flashes blinded them both as they made their way through several quick interviews, photo ops and then into the hotel lobby.


"Good God, I had no idea it was going to be like that!" Nick laughed, obviously in good cheer.


"Looks pretty good, doesn't it?" AJ congratulated him as they met in the hall on the way to the party.


"Feels pretty good." Nick beamed.


"How are you doing?" AJ scowled at her. "You look pale." He said to Lexie.


"Oh, no." She shook her head and smiled. "I'm fine."


CJ, Leah, Kevin, Brian, and other family and friends waited just on the inside with numerous fans and music execs. The couple worked the room, ate a little here and there until it was time for Nick to perform three songs from the album.


His performances were stunning, with his last song being Happy Birthday to Lexie as he pulled her on stage. They wheeled up a cake and she blew out the candles in front of everyone. Everyone marveled at how happy Nick and Lexie looked together and so few knew what they had actually been through recently.


"Don't they look wonderful?" Leah leaned over and told AJ.


"They look very happy. Must have had a turn around."


"You think?" Leah elbowed him. "I think Nick is going to do fantastic with this new album." Leah continued to cheer with the crowd as Nick and Lexie stepped off stage and into the crowd.


AJ smiled, slipped an arm around her shoulders and put a small kiss on her temple. Leah looked over at him and his usually hard eyes looked so soft. Soft for the love his daughter, no doubt.


"You'll have a turn around, too. I promise." She winked at him.


"If you say so, then it must be true." He agreed.


The night was long and exhausting. Lexie finally had a chance to sit down at their table and stare at the album cover stung up around the huge room. She nibbled on some food her mother had put together for her.


Nick's album cover had turned out better than she had hoped. He was sitting on concrete stairs of a demolished building, wearing jeans, old work boots and a plain black T-shirt. No doubt, they couldn't talk him into a white T-shirt, but the black looked good against all of the natural gray around him. His face was turned in a profile and his long ponytail was tied off down his back where it couldn't be seen. In most of the promotional photos, you couldn't see it, no doubt because Howie had been asking him to cut his hair. He had refused. Lexie smiled. Even tonight, it was plaited as flat as they could it get it so it would stay out of the way.


"Relaxing?" Brian smiled as he sat next to her.


"Yes, finally." She smiled back as she continued to munch. "I'm starved."


"Well, you're absolutely glowing." He said as she choked on her next bite. He patted her back until her coughing calmed down. "Are you okay?"


"Just swallowed wrong."


"Good, Lord." He chuckled. "I'm bet you're glad it's finally out."


"Yes, I am. Although he leaves tomorrow morning."


"Oh, he'll be back. By the look on his face tonight, I doubt he could ever stay away too long." Brian winked.



"What a great night!" Lexie threw her shawl on a chair as they entered their suite. Luckily, they didn't have to get back into a limo to enter the back of the building. Leah took CJ back to the house with her.


Nick let out a hoop and a holler, sweeping her up into his arms, twirling her around. He set her down and kissed her deeply.


"It was perfect, baby. Absolutely fucking perfect." He beamed. "This album is going to kick ass!"


"That's what the reviews are saying so far." She laughed as he let go of her to kick off his shoes.


"The only thing left to do is make perfectly sweet and delirious love to you and today will be perfect." He smiled at her with a wink.


"Well, well, Mr. Carter. I don't think I'm that kind of girl." She teased him back as she kicked off her own shoes.


He laid himself out on a settee, letting his beautiful eyes sweep her body, "You know how many girls would love to be in my hotel room right now?"


"Well, Nick, I'm just not some girl." She put her hands on her hips.


"You know how many girls would kill to be you right now?"


"Counting the ones still outside the hotel?" Lexie joked as she poked a thumb at their window.


"There is no one still here." He chuckled as he got to his feet to remove his jacket and tie.


"Uh, yes, there are still fans outside."


"No way." Nick laughed as he threw open window to poke out his head. "Holy shit!" He waved to them and distantly they could hear the squeals. He closed the window and smiled, "That's just nuts."


"Let's go see them." Lexie laughed as she began tossing his shoes toward him. She bent over and slipped her own shoes on.


"Now, you're nuts." He laughed as he put his shoes on, too.


"Sure, but let's go!" She was swinging out the door and running happily down the hall to the elevator, slapping the buttons. With a roar of laughter, he followed her.