- Text Size +

CJ hung from Lexie's arm as she tried to skip through the mall, her dark blue school uniform skirt bouncing as well. Lexie and CJ rattled off a number of things they thought Nick might like, but none of them were quite right.


"What are we going to get him?" CJ sighed as they sat down for hotdogs after walking the mall hand in hand.


"I haven’t got a clue!" Lexie sighed with her, trying to squeeze some mustard out of the container on the table. "What do you get a guy who has everything?"


Lexie looked up in time to watch CJ’s crystal blue eyes follow someone behind her and she turned to see a heavily tattooed young man.


"Maybe we should get him a tattoo!" CJ laughed.


"You two are on the same wavelength today, I swear!" Lexie laughed. "No more tattoos."


"Maybe you should get one!"


"No, between Nick and my dad, there are enough tattoos in this family." Lexie said without thinking.


"Howie has a tattoo? Oh, you mean Uncle AJ." CJ said without skipping a beat.


"CJ? How much do you know about AJ and me?"


"I know AJ is your real dad, I mean, like, he was with your mom." CJ said, sipping her soda.


"How did you learn that? Your dad and me never talked about it with you. . ."


"Jane told me. I heard Uncle Aaron and Aunt Jill talking about it once when you ran away. Then there was that big fight you and AJ had when he found out about you and Dad." CJ said. "John told me that Howie wasn’t really my grandpa, that AJ was."


"What did you do?"


"I hit him." She said casually.


"You what?!" Lexie said.


"It was at the wedding, it was a long time ago. You aren’t going to tell Dad are you?"


"Well, no." Lexie smiled.


"Uncle Brian made us apologize."


"That’s good." Lexie said. "Cee, you got any questions about me and AJ?"


"Well." She began, then stopped as she gave it some thought. "If AJ is your real dad and Howie is like your adoptive Dad, which one is my grandpa?"


"Well, both of them I guess." She shrugged.


"I can’t call them both Grandpa."


"I guess not. You don’t have to call AJ Grandpa."


"I can’t keep calling him ‘uncle’ either. Gesh." CJ sighed dramatically. "What do you call him?"


"AJ. Sometimes, Dad."


"Do you have different names for them?"


"No, Howie is Dad and AJ is. . .well, usually just AJ."


"I know it’s been a long time since AJ’s been your real dad, but don’t you think you should call him that?"


"Well, that’s what I call Howie."


"Maybe we better come up with a different name for AJ." CJ said, chomping on her hotdog. "Like Poppa or Poppy or something."


"That might work."


"We could use the same one! Sometimes AJ isn’t very smart. He might get confused."


"Well, we’ll explain it to him." Lexie laughed.


"Lex, what’s it like to be adopted?"


Damn, there it was. The gate to the path Nick was so afraid of and she's standing there alone without him.


"I don’t know what you mean." CJ was quiet and then Lexie had an idea where she was going. "I guess it’s okay. I mean, I had a home with Howie and Leah."


"How come you couldn’t live with AJ when your mom died?"


"Well, he thought it would be better if I lived with Howie and Leah."


"How come?"


"He was young and scared. . ."


"AJ?"


"You have to remember this was a long time ago. Long before you were even born." Lexie said.


"How come Howie was better?"


"Howie is a little older than AJ."


"Were you mad at AJ?"


"Yes, for a long time." Lexie answered honestly.


"But you’re not now?"


"No." Lexie smiled. "I love him very much. What happened in the past isn’t important."


"I know for a long time I remember Dad talking about the others, but never saw anyone but Brian. I met Kevin a couple times at Brian’s, but. . ."


"I know. A lot of that had to do with me."


"How come?"


"Well, when I went to live with Howie, a lot of people thought it was a bad idea, especially since AJ was my real dad. They were mad that AJ didn’t want to take care of me."


"Were you mad?"


"Yes, I was, but I’m not now. No one is. You see, as mad as we were with AJ at the time, it turned out to be the right decision. Howie is a great Dad and I love him very much. AJ is a great Dad too. I got a lot of opportunities I wouldn’t have had if I had stayed with AJ, including a Mom and brothers and the big family I got with the Doroughs."


"Isn’t it better to be with your real Dad?"


"No, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes it’s important for adults to take care of children that aren’t in their family."


"I wouldn’t want to live with anyone other than my own Dad." CJ said.


"I know. I can’t complain." Lexie shrugged.


"I guess you’re lucky you got two dads." CJ shrugged.


"I think so." Lexie said, watching CJ. She never mentioned Lexie’s two moms.


"I only have my Dad." CJ said.


"You have me." Lexie smiled softly.


"Well, you." CJ sighed.


"Gee thanks." Lexie laughed.


"You’re not like my. . .Dad, you’re like my friend." CJ said, looking up at Lexie.


"Thanks, CJ. That means a lot to me." Lexie said.


"It’s like you and me look out for Dad together." CJ smiled.


"It’s a two person job these days, isn’t it?" Lexie joked.


"He’s gonna get into trouble in Orlando by himself."


"I know. We’ll just call him everyday and have AJ go over and bug him." Lexie laughed.


"Maybe I should get him a new phone?" CJ said, "He likes all kinds of new gadgets. Maybe there is one he doesn’t have, that’s really new."


"Might be a plan."


"What are you getting him?" CJ asked.


"Promise not to tell?" Lexie smiled and CJ crossed her heart. "I’m not going to give him this at the party, probably right before."


Lexie dug around in her purse, pulled out a small ring box, and opened it for CJ.


"Wow." CJ sighed.


"My friend Gina found it in the estate she’s working on. You remember, G, don’t you? Any way, it’s an antique man’s wedding ring made in China. It’s already engraved with our names, look."


Inside the ring was an inscription CJ could barely read;


To Nicholas, all of my promises, Alexandria


"His name is spelled wrong." CJ said.


"I know, but it wasn’t made for our Nick with a ‘k’."


"For another Nick and Lexie?"


"Yes." Lexie nodded. CJ looked at the intricate Chinese dragon wrapped around the outside in gold.


"This is around 100 years old." CJ said.


"Yes, very good."


"I could tell by the kind of dragon they used. Wow, Lexie, that’s really nice." CJ sighed. "I don’t know what I’m gonna get him."


"Oh honey, he’ll love anything you give him." Lexie said, sorry she had brought it up.


"I just don’t know." CJ sighed dejectedly.


"Well, we could both give him this."


"No. . ."


"Sure, let’s go to the jeweler and have your name put in there, too."


"That will ruin it!" CJ said, knowing that altering it would lower the value.


"No it won’t. You remember me telling you that personal pieces are less valuable if they are personalized. Besides, it’s not the dollar amount that’s important. It’s the thought behind the gift. It would be perfect if both of our names were on there. ‘Christine’ will fit right in there." Lexie said.


"You think so?"


"I know so. You know he always thinks of us as ‘his girls’. This is it, CJ! It’s the most perfect idea." Lexie smiled. "Then we can give it to him at the party."


"You were going to make it special."


"It won’t be as special if you’re not in it with me." Lexie said.


"I don’t want to take your present."


"You’re not, don’t be silly. We both love your Dad very much. This is really perfect, Cee, I know it is!" Lexie said. "C’mon. Let’s go get it done."


CJ agreed, but she also picked out a couple new picture frames so he could take pictures of her and Lexie with him to Orlando.



"You are home early." Leah laughed as Howie came in to the kitchen.


"I said I would be." He snapped, picking up Caroline who was clutching on to his leg.


"Eww, bad day?"


"Why do you ask that?"


"I just got my head bit off?"


"I’m sorry, Lisa Andrews resigned today."


"What?!" Leah said, wiping her hands dry. Howie told her the whole story, with Caroline squirming on his lap. The boys came in and washed up before dinner, extracting promises of playtime with Dad before bed. The family had dinner together, Howie played basketball with the boys and then they put all the kids to bed together.


"She goes to bed so much easier than the boys did at that age." Howie smiled as they stepped out of Caroline’s room together.


"I know. She’s such an angel." Leah smiled with him. She reached up and touched his bearded cheek.


"Just like her mama." He smiled back, leaning over to kiss her. He caught her in his arms and pulled her into a passionate embrace.


"Don’t Howie, I’m a mess." She scoffed gently.


"You’re fine." He laughed quietly. "C’mon." He took her hand and led her to their bedroom.


"I’ve got dishes downstairs. . ."


"They can wait." He smiled as he walked in with her in tow.


He coaxed her over to the bed, where they laid down across the bedspread and he took her in his arms and quietly held her. It was a time of gentle touches and gentle kisses until Howie finally took her mouth passionately, breaking off only when a soft sob escaped her.


"Baby, what’s wrong?" He asked concerned.


"Oh, Howie." She cried, throwing her arms around him. He rocked her gently, trying to ask her what was wrong as she sobbed. "I’m sorry." She finally said wiping her eyes.


"What’s wrong? Leah, please tell me." Howie said softly.


"I just miss you so much. Do you know how long it’s been?"


"Too long, I can tell." He said. "I’m sorry. This isn’t what I promised you when I married you. . ."


"I love you, Howie. I just miss you terribly." She said sniffling.


"I love you, baby, and I miss you just as much." He said, closing his eyes to kiss her softly on her salt covered cheeks. "Let’s go to Paris this year. Just you and me like we used to."


"What? You can’t get away! Caroline is too young. . ."


"No, I was thinking. Let’s go in early April before Lexie goes back to school. She and Nick can stay here with the kids. . ." he smiled.


"What about the studio. . ."


"It’ll be there when we get back. What do you say? We haven’t been in years. . ." he smiled.


"Nick would have to pull CJ out of school. . ."


"That’s his problem." Howie laughed. "I only care about making you happy."


"Howie we just can’t run off. . ."


"Who says?" he laughed harder.


"You’re nuts, you know that?"


"For what? Wanting to make love to the most beautiful woman in the world in the most romantic city in the world? I don’t know, makes perfect sense to me. Maybe we’ll get even luckier this year. . ."


". . .and what?"


"Have another child. . ."


"Now I know you’re nuts. . ." she laughed, gently pushing him off.


"I just feel bad that Caroline is so much younger than the boys. She needs someone close to her own age. . ."


"Howie, we were pushing our luck with Caroline. . ."


"We scored with that one, we can do it again."


"You really want to try and have another baby?"


"I do. I really do." He smiled. "I want another little angel just like my beautiful wife."



Lexie sneaked CJ in the house and she ran upstairs to hide Nick’s presents. Lexie found Nick out on the deck, stretched between a deck chair and a table. His long tan legs stretched out from khaki shorts. He was gazing out into the backyard with the cordless phone in his lap. She could also see the pink tip of a pink bunny ear, hidden in the crook of his arm.


She stood inside admiring the strength in his body as he sat there. He looked around for a moment, saw her, and she smiled. He pulled his feet to the deck and got up, sitting the little pink bunny in his seat. Lexie went out to him and was surprised when he didn't open his arms to her.


"You guys back?" Nick asked, driving his hands into his back pockets.


"Yes."


"Get everything done?"


"I think so."


"Where’s Cee?"


"She ran upstairs. She should be down in a minute."


"You girls eat already?"


"We grabbed a couple hotdogs. Nick, are you okay?"


"Daddy!" CJ yelled running onto the deck. He knelt down on the deck and she ran into his arms. Lexie saw him hold on to her as if he was afraid to let her go. He closed his eyes and just held on to her. "Dad! Dad, you’re hanging on too tight." CJ finally said.


"I’m sorry, baby." He smiled, letting go of her. He smoothed a couple of loose strands of her blonde hair from her face.


"Dad? You okay?" she asked. He smiled weakly and nodded yes. "I don’t think so."


"I’m fine, angel." He smiled, sharing a chaste kiss on the lips with her. "You want to go get ready of bed? I’ll come up and read to you."


"Will both you and Lexie come up?" CJ asked, looking back at Lexie.


"We’ll be right behind you." Lexie smiled. CJ kissed Nick again and ran back into the house. Lexie watched Nick get slowly to his feet.


"What is it?" Lexie asked.


"Christine’s lawyer called. She wants to see me." Nick said quietly. He had walked to the edge of the deck and planted both of his hands on the rail, leaning his weight on them.


"Oh my god, Nick." Lexie gasped, gripping his arm. "Did you call Sabrina. . .?"


"No, not yet. . ."


"She has to be there. . ."


"I know." Nick choked. His arms came up and crossed in front of him, hugging himself. "Oh god, Lex. I can’t lose her. I can’t live without her in this house everyday."


"I know, I know baby. Did he say what she wants?"


"No, just that she wants to see me. What else could it possibly be about?" Nick groaned. "There is no other reason for Christine to come into my life. I’m sorry, Lexie, I’m sorry all of this is happening."


"Don’t be ridiculous, Nick. You can’t control this. . ."


"I didn’t want this to be the way we start our marriage. . ."


"Nick, please! I married you with my eyes wide open. I knew this was going to happen. . ."


"Dad? Lexie?" they heard CJ ask from the doorway. The three of them just stood there silent for the longest time.


"You ready for bed?" Nick asked.


"Yeah. I got a book."


"Okay, let’s go then." He smiled, taking Lexie’s hand tightly. CJ stopped him at the door.


"What were you guys talking about?" CJ asked.


"Just grown up stuff. Nothing for you to worry about." Nick said.


"I love you, you know that, right Dad? Just like I promised." CJ said suddenly.


"I know honey, I love you too." He choked, kneeling down to take her in his arms and pick her up.


"Don’t cry, Dad, okay? It’ll be okay." She said, tightening her grip on his neck. A short sob escaped him.


"C’mon, let’s go read us a book, okay?" Lexie said. CJ kissed Nick’s temple as they walked through the house and upstairs.


Nick and Lexie got through the book and CJ asked them to stay until she fell asleep. They all laid down on her narrow bed and she snuggled between them. In the dark room Nick touched Lexie’s face, ran his fingers through her hair, and traced her lips with his thumb. He caught the moisture on her cheek, bringing it to his mouth and, tasting it he knew they were tears.


When he was sure CJ had fallen asleep, he began to get out of her bed. Lexie followed him out into the dark hallway. She walked past him, but he caught her by the arm. He silently wiped her cheeks as a brief sob escaped her. He took her in his arms and choked back his own cries.


"I love her so much, please don’t let them take her away." Lexie choked.


"No one is taking my daughter away from me." Nick whispered harshly. "No one."