- Text Size +

Crash Course

- - -

Chapter 19

- - -

He couldn't believe this was happening. Just when they finally thought they had found the silver lining in this dark cloud, things turned black. Howie shivered in his seat in the back of the van and glanced worriedly at AJ. At this point, the kid was beyond tears and his face was stony. Only when you looked into his eyes could you see his fear.

AJ scowled at the muscular man that sat across from him and Howie in the back of the van. The man's blank expression didn't change. AJ sighed. This was beyond any of his nightmares. He was even more scared for the other guys. Bob on the phone had said 'We've got the rest of them', hadn't he? Then where did they have Kevin, Nick, and Brian? He swallowed. Were they still alive even? He wanted to punch in the man's face across from him. That blank stare was driving him nuts.

"What's your name?"

Howie was caught off guard as the tight muscled man in the black t-shirt across from them finally spoke. AJ almost jumped next to him but took a shaky breath.

"AJ."

"Howie."

The man nodded. "You can call me . . . T."

"T?" AJ scoffed. "What's your real name?"

"And I'm really going to tell you, too. It's just T, AJ," the man returned, with an amused smile. AJ was relieved to at least see some sort of expression on the man's face.

"AJ's not my real name either then," he replied. T chuckled deeply.

"Sure thing, kid."

"Where're you taking us?" Howie asked, seeing they had made some sort of acquaintance with the man. Almost friendly. He reminded Howie of one of the bodyguards they used.

"Well, Howie, I can't really tell you that," T answered in his deep voice. "Just do everything that I and the others say and you won't get hurt. Too much."

Forget almost friendly.

The man sitting next to T, who looked even more intimidating, whispered something into the muscular man's ear and T nodded. AJ frowned at them, annoyed.

"Don't you have anything better to do with your life than kidnap people?" he demanded. Before he could blink, the man next to T backhanded him across the side of the head.

"Shut your mouth."

"Easy, Max," AJ heard T mutter as he leaned forward and let out a sob. If he hadn't a concussion before, he must have one now. He felt Howie's hand on the back of his neck, but wasn't comforted. He felt sick.

- - -

Thunder crashed suddenly and Brian was startled out of his restless sleep. The lights in the lobby were dimmed enough so that shadows played across the carpets and the corners of the room were in total darkness. He shifted his weight off of Kevin and sat up straighter on the couch.

He wondered what time it was. Outside the window was darkness, but the storm clouds had moved in, making it hard to determine. He shivered in the silence. The only sounds he heard was the sound of Kevin and Nick's even breathing in sleep.

Brian glanced at the two of them and smiled softly. Kevin was stretched out with his feet propped up on the coffee table and Nick's head rested lightly on his shoulder. He didn't want to wake them up, but he couldn't fall back to sleep in the silence. It was disturbing.

So he decided to do the next best thing to pass the time. Explore. He slipped out from under Kevin's arm and rose easily from the couch, not disturbing either bandmate. He waited for his eyes to adjust to the darker surroundings before manuevering his way around the disarray of tables and chairs in the lobby. He followed the tiled floor beyond the carpet to the desk in the back of the room.

Frank's large figure could be made out in the shadows, his head resting on the desktop in slumber. Brian smirked. What a watchman. Jill trusted this loser to watch the three of them? Right. He wondered where the devilish woman had gone to in the short time he'd been asleep. Oh well. As long as she wasn't here, threatening them.

Brian moved close enough to touch the countertop, and slid his hand over the smooth surface, heart pounding. There was a phone right there. He debated whether to chance it, but seeing Frank's hand resting near the reciever and cord, decided it would be to risky. His eye caught the staircase in the shadowy corner.

He started to move towards it when suddenly someone grabbed him. He felt one muscular arm wrap around his middle and the other around his neck. Involuntarily Brian let out a whimper. He started to silently say his last prayer when he heard a familiar voice in his ear.

"What are you doing?"

Kevin.

Brian let out a breath of relieved air when he heard his cousin's voice. He had been almost sure he was a goner in that last second. He tried to stop shaking. "You scared me," he whispered.

"Good," Kevin growled. He started to drag Brian back towards the couch, only releasing him when they came within a foot. "What the hell is wrong with you?" he demanded, his whispered voice sounding harsh.

"I was just looking around . . ."

"Dammit, Brian, just listen for once in your life, huh? Geez," Kevin muttered, dropping down on the couch. Nick let out a soft protest at the sudden movement and leaned against him again, not opening his eyes.

"I'm sorry. . ." Brian sat down softly next to Kevin, voice choked. Kevin shot a glance at his shining eyes and shook his head, pulling his younger cousin to him in an embrace.

"Look Brian, I just don't want you to get hurt, alright? Just don't go off places. Listen. It's for your own good," Kevin said softly. Brian nodded and sniffled.

"You scared me." He was still shaking.

"I know. I'm sorry, bro." Kevin gave him a squeeze. "But what if Frank woke up, huh? What if Jill came back with more of her hitman? What would happen then?" Brian was silent. They both knew exactly what would happen.

They sat in silence for almost ten minutes when Nick awoke suddenly with a jump, breathing heavy. He stared at both of them with wide eyes for a second, holding his breath.

"You okay, Frack?" Brian asked. The boy shook his head and Brian frowned.

"Bad dream?" Kevin asked softly. Nick nodded. "You wanna talk about it?"

"No, I don't remember it," Nick lied. Kevin just looked at him for a second.

"You sure, baby? You look like you saw a ghost."

"No, I'll be okay." Nick leaned into him harder and Kevin draped an arm loosely across him. Thunder crashed outside again and he sighed. This was going to be a long night for all of them.

- - -

 

- - -

Chapter 20

- - -

The van had stopped for a few minutes when AJ opened his eyes. He was trying to go asleep but only succeeded in lightly dozing for a few minutes. Rain was pattering on the van's roof, echoing loudly on the metal surface. Howie was asleep next to him, or at least had his eyes closed.

"Where are we?" he asked T across from him. The other man that had hit him had left for the moment so he felt free to talk.

"Getting gas."

"Can I take a walk?"

"No."

"Why? Can I go outside?"

"No."

Why?"

"Because that's life."

"Why?"

"Shut your mouth, AJ. Unless you want more like Max gave you."

AJ stared at him silently. "I thought you were nice."

"This job doesn't require me to be nice, kid," came T's deep reply. His voice wasn't harsh, just matter-of-fact. AJ sighed and leaned his head against the metal wall of the van wall behind him, shutting his eyes.

"That's too bad. It's better to be nice." AJ knew he sounded stupid, but his head hurt too much to think. He opened his eyes a little to see if he was making any impact on the large man, but T didn't even seem to be paying attention to him anymore.

"So where is it we're going again? I forgot."

"Nice try. I never told you." T smiled slightly. "And don't expect me to either." He turned his attention back to the window in the front of the van.

"And when are we getting there?"

"You're too talkative there, AJ. I don't like that. You've got a big mouth."

"Thanks." AJ rolled his eyes.

"So you're a singer, huh? Sing me something."

"Huh?" AJ wasn't expecting that.

"Sing me something. That's your job isn't it? To sing on command?"

"Not quite." AJ narrowed his eyes and glared at the man who chuckled.

"Take it easy, kid. Sing a little something."

AJ sighed, seeing the man wasn't going to let up. He leaned his head back and shut his eyes. What to sing . . . He cleared his throat and sung a few lines of Quit Playing Games. When he opened his eyes, T was nodding.

"So you are a singer."

"Well, that is the main reason you kidnapped us, isn't it?" AJ asked dryly. T smirked.

"Yes, but I was beginning to doubt we took the right boys. You two don't exactly seem the famous dumbass type we usually see around."

AJ raised an eyebrow. "Is that a compliment?"

"It wasn't meant to be," T said easily with a shrug. "Now shut your mouth. You're giving me a headache."

He's got a headache? AJ shook his head. That man didn't know what a headache felt like until he experienced the pain he was going through right now. He felt hung over. Before he could make a comment, the back door of the van opened roughly and Max hopped in.

"We're going. You need anything, T?"

"No, let's just get out of here."

Max turned again to shut the door when suddenly T landed a blow to the back of his head. AJ's eyes widened as he watched the man fell to the floor of the van with a thud. T kicked the fallen man in the skull before rolling him out the back of the van into the rain and gravel. He looked at AJ.

"You stay in the van." AJ opened his mouth and T narrowed his eyes. "Don't make me do the same to you."

"Sure." AJ shut his mouth and elbowed Howie in the side as T hopped out of the van. "Howie?"

"What?" the man answered groggily, opening his eyes slowly. His eyes went to the open back door and the pouring rain. "What happened?"

"T . . ." AJ stared at him. "He . . . killed Max. At least, I think he killed him, but . . ."

"He's helping us?" Howie asked incredulously. AJ shrugged.

"That's what it looks like . . ."

- - -

This was definitely the worst night's sleep that he had ever gotten. There were times on tour he thought were bad, when he would lay awake and stare at the ceiling trying to remember where they were going and what his family was doing without him, but that feeling in his stomach was multiplied a thousand fold tonight.

Nick stared at the window morosely. He hated rain when he was feeling down. Sometimes it could be refreshing, but not now. He sighed and pulled out from under Kevin's arm. He stared down at his leg and cursed the throbbing, but stood up slowly. He just wanted to look out the window. It wasn't that far away and he made it there with a few limps and hops, leaning on the back of the furniture scattered around.

The thunder boomed and the sky lit up with a flash of lightning. When the whole lot was illuminated, Nick tried to look for the van but he didn't see it. Maybe they'd parked it somewhere else? Around the back? He hoped so. Or there went Kevin's plan.

He sighed as he watched the storm outside silently. It seemed peaceful, the light rain and the low thunder. He tried to look again for the van. Nope, not there.

Nick jumped as someone roughly grabbed him from behind by the waist of his pants. His heart leapt into his throat and he took a deep breath. Maybe it was Kevin or Brian . . .

"Where are you going, lad?"

Nick frowned. Frank. Not good. Why hadn't he heard him coming? "Nowhere, I was just-"

"Trying to get away?" Frank gave him a shake. "Weren't you."

"No, I was-"

"Did we not specifically tell you not to move?" Frank started. There was silence. "Answer me, boy. Didn't we?"

"Yes, but-" Nick was cut off by another shake. He tried to pull away, but Frank spun him around and pressed him up against the window.

"Jill's not going to be happy. Do you know what happens when Jill's not happy?"

"No," came Nick's choked reply. He shut his eyes tightly. This was a dream, this was a dream.

"Well, I guess we're going to find out, hm boy?"

"No . . ." Nick whimpered as Frank's hold tightened. Why wouldn't Kevin or Brian wake up? He watched as a smile spread against Frank's face and grew mad. He was sick of this.

"Don't cry now," Frank sneered. "Save it for later." Nick tried to pull away again and Frank twisted his arm behind his back. "You make me look bad in front of Jill again and I will snap your skinny arm in two, understand?"

"Go to hell," Nick answered. "Agh." Frank twisted his arm further back and Nick let out a yell.

"I'm not kidding," Frank hissed.

"Neither am I."

"Look-"

"Get off of him!"

Thank God. Nick let out a shaky breath as he heard Kevin's voice and Frank released him. He spun around and found Brian and Kevin both awake and on their feet. He sank against the window sill in relief.

"Mind your own business," Frank growled.

"He is our business," Brian returned, eyes narrowing. "Get off of him."

"Fine." Frank saw it was three against one and figured it wasn't worth the effort. "But I'll tell you the same thing I told the lad here. You make me look bad in front of Jill and I will kill you."

"That's fine," Kevin said dryly. "Get away from him."

Frank rolled his eyes and gave Nick a shove in their direction. "Keep him quiet. All of you keep quiet. And stay on the couch. Else I'll shoot you. I'm sick of games." He lifted up his shirt to show his gun hidden in his holster and they swallowed. They had been pretty sure up until then that he had been unarmed. He ambled back towards the desk at the end of the room.

"Frack, are you okay?" Brian moved forward and hugged Nick tightly.

"I wanna go home," came Nick's answer, not letting go of his friend for a minute. He was shaking from the encounter, especially now that he realized Frank could've just shot him. Kevin watched the two silently. That was way too close. He ran a hand through Nick's blonde hair for a second.

"You okay?"

"Yeah."

"You have to learn to listen. Both of you," he said, directing his gaze at Brian. How many times had he told them the same thing within the past few days? And did it ever get through? Of course not.

"I was looking out the window," Nick defended. They made their way back to the couch, Nick using the guys as balance. He sat in the middle of them on the center of the couch.

"You see anything worth it?" Brian asked curiously.

"I don't think the van is still there," Nick whispered. "I didn't see it." He glanced at Kevin. "Don't try and get the keys from Frank. Think of something else, Kev."

"Why? They probably just parked it somewhere else."

"But he had a gun. Don't."

"Nick . . ."

"Don't."

"Let's just relax, okay? Try and think of something else we can do then."

- - -

 

- - -

Chapter 21

- - -

AJ and Howie sat silently in the van, thoughts racing. The only sound from outside was the pouring rain, and little could be heard over it. There were a few shouts and Howie tensed. They both jumped as a gunshot rang out through the air. Two more shots immediately followed, each one jolting through them. Then there was silence. Howie and AJ's eyes were both wide as the back door to the van slammed shut. A second later T hopped into the driver's seat.

"Everything's taken care of," he said gruffly, starting the ignition.

"But-"

"Do me a favor, son, and just be quiet for now, okay?" T's voice sounded strange, so AJ just sat back silently. What was the matter now? He was so confused.

The van was bouncing quickly over the narrow roads for nearly twenty minutes and AJ glanced at Howie worriedly. Howie looked toward the front. "T, where are we going?"

"Memorial Hospital." The was a moment of silence. "That's where I stop and you're on your own."

"Why'd you help us, huh?" AJ asked.

"I felt like it." There was a pause. "I didn't like the company I was keeping and needed out. You two just happened along when I decided to get out."

"Oh." AJ heard the man take a shaky breath and frowned. "Are you okay?"

"Fine, AJ. Mind your business."

"Are you hurt?" Howie asked with a frown. T let out a groan.

"No. We're almost there, just be quiet until then."

"Sure," Howie answered. If the man didn't want them to talk, then he wouldn't talk. No problem. He was relieved enough that they were finally getting out of this anyway.

"T?"

'What the hell do you want, AJ?"

Silence. "Thanks. I just wanted to say thanks."

T sighed. "You're welcome, kid."

Fifteen minutes later, and T was pulling the van into the emergency parking area of Memorial Hospital. He parked alongside the curb, leaving the vehicle running as he went around the back of the van and threw open the door. It was only then that AJ and Howie noticed the clutched hand over the spreading red stain on his shirt. AJ sucked in a breath.

"You're hurt!" Howie exclaimed.

"Get out of the van," T ordered. His voice was strained, but had the same no nonsense tone as earlier. The guys quickly complied with no objections. "Go to emergency and take care of yourselves," T said, turning away and heading to the driver's side door. He was pulling on the handle when AJ caught his arm.

"Aren't you gonna-"

"No, I'm fine." T sent him a look. "Get going before I change my mind about you two." He gave the kid a gentle shove toward Howie.

"Get help . . ." Howie started, cutting off when T growled something and swung open his door, getting in the seat wordlessly. He pulled it shut with a bang and pulled out of the lot before either boy had another word.

- - -

"Hello, boys!"

Three pairs of eyes turned toward the direction of Jill's voice, finding her standing in the doorway with a smug expression. Through the open doorway Kevin noticed it was still raining. He couldn't decide if that was good or bad for the carrying out of their escape plan.

"Glad to see you're all still with us. I had my doubts," Jill said as she made her way toward them. She stopped directly in front of them, catching Nick off guard as she grabbed him by the collar. "I heard you caused a little excitement, hm? I don't want to see any of that." She slapped the side of his head before letting him go. He sank back against the couch cushions and set his jaw with a blank expression on his face. Jill was disappointed at the reaction but shrugged it off. They had time for fun later.

"So how are the plans coming along?" Brian asked sweetly. Kevin shot him a look.

"Perfectly," Jill growled. "Glad you asked."

"Great."

"You're going to be our first victim when the time comes for that, don't worry. Who do you think would pay more for you, your management or your mother?" Brian's mouth dropped open and she smirked. "You think about that and get back to me."

"Leave him alone," Kevin objected. Jill looked at him with a roll of her eyes.

"Still protective are we?"

"You betcha."

"Well that could come in handy," Jill said sarcastically. "I have a great idea. How about you pick the first one to go? Blondie or the comedian over here. Your choice. What'll it be?" Without waiting for an answer, she spun around and headed for the desk. "Asshole," Kevin heard her mutter and he smiled slightly. He was gonna get them out of here.

"Guys," he said lowly. "Listen up." They moved closer on the couch and he cleared his throat. "I'm gonna get Frankie over there to show me where the bathroom is, ok? I'll take care of him and get the keys, then come back for you." He said this all in a whispered voice.

"No, there's no van," Nick said, making an excuse. Frank had a gun now, making it even harder if Kevin were to try and get the keys from him. He grabbed Kevin's arm tightly. "Don't."

"Yeah, Kev, maybe we should . . ." Brian trailed off. There was nothing else that they could do, they all knew it.

"Guys, look after each other." That was all Kevin said. He looked up and caught Frank's eye. "Bathroom," he called loudly. Frank let out an exasperated breath but came around from the desk and motioned to him to get up.

"Quickly," he said gruffly.

"Sure." Kevin peeled his arm away from Nick gently, and giving Brian's shoulder a pat, stood up from the couch, heading toward Frank. He followed the man through a long hall from the lobby to another area of the motel that seemed to be under construction. Seeing the sign for the restrooms up ahead, he knew it was his chance.

Using all his strength, Kevin spun on the burly man and punched him in the jaw. Frank was caught off balance for a second, shock slowing his reflexes. An attack had been the farthest thing from his mind. He quickly recovered and swung at Kevin, who ducked in time and punched him in the stomach. Frank staggered back but raced forward with renewed strength, making Kevin panic. Maybe this wasn't the greatest idea. This guy was pretty strong, even though a little slow.

He dodged out of the way and his eye caught a piece of wood leaning against the wall, part of the construction mess. Kevin grabbed it without thinking and swung the board at Frank's head. The wood made a satisfying crack against the man's skull and he crumpled to the floor, unconscious. Kevin let out a breath of relief and went for the keys.

- - -

Brian stared at the clock and Nick stared at his face. Where was he? Did the plan fall through or something? Was Frank dragging Kevin's dead body out the back of the motel and coming back for them? He scooted closer to Brian on the couch and shook his arm.

"Where is he, Frick?"

"I don't know . . ."

"I didn't hear any gun shots," Nick whispered. "Do you think Kevin got the keys?"

"Probably," Brian said. "He's probably coming back now-"

"Are you two still talking?" Jill's voice cut across the room like a knife as she hung up the telephone. "I certainly hope not. No one's here to protect you anymore."

"We don't need protection from you," Brian muttered, rolling his eyes. Jill ignored the unheard statement and continued.

"I hope your friend didn't try anything out there and that's what's taking Frank so long. If he did, he doesn't stand a chance. And that would mean one less ransom for us." She frowned.

Brian and Nick watched her ranting silently. It was so frustrating just sitting there and not being able to do or say anything in defense. But they didn't want to botch Kevin's plan and make things even worse for themselves. And the fact that she had a gun on her certainly didn't make matters any better.

"I'm going to call your management now," she was saying with a sneer in her voice. "Since everything's set." She reached for the phone to dial when both her hands were caught and pulled behind her back. The receiver clattered to the floor and Jill gasped.

"Hey, Jill," came Kevin's voice. "Frank's a little indisposed right now," he said with a laugh. "So, um . . ."

"Kev!" Brian jumped up from the couch and headed toward the desk with a grin. "You got the keys?"

"Yup." Kevin tossed them at his cousin and looked around. "Give me that rope, cuz," he directed, motioning to the roll of twine in the open drawer of the desk. He took it and wrapped it around Jill's wrists, tying it to the back of the chair she was seated in. "Comfy?"

"Asshole," Jill returned. She struggled to free her hands, her icy glare kept on Kevin's face.

Ignoring her comment, Kevin reached for the phone. "Where are we again?" he asked as he picked the receiver off the floor. Jill was silent. "Where are we?"

"Route 70 motel," she hissed as Brian pulled the twine tighter around her wrists.

"Thank you," Kevin said. He dialed 911 and said who he was, giving their location. There had obviously been a lot going on due to their disappearance because the dispatcher seemed incredibly relieved to hear from them and said they would send a crew right away. Brian bounced happily back over to Nick and fell onto the couch with a grin.

"We're getting of here, buddy."

"Bout time," Nick said with a smile. He opened his mouth to say something else, but suddenly trailed off, his eyes wide. Brian stared at him with worry.

"What's the matter? Nick?" Nick pointed and Brian followed his line of sight to the back door. A wobbly Frank leaned half over against the doorframe, weakly raising his hand with his gun, finger on the trigger. "Oh God . . ."

Frank positioned himself in a more upright position against the door and raised his head wearily. A malicious smile spread slowly over his features as he aimed.

"Kevin, move!" Nick yelled. Kevin looked up in surprise just in time to see Frank pull the trigger.

- - -


1