- Text Size +
Fix It

Chapter 1
“Alexander James!” I yelled down stairs to the basement. “WHAT!” He yelled back. “You need to come up and deal with your daughter. She’s calling for you!” “I’m kind of in the middle of something. Why don’t you see what she wants!” I was getting so upset with yelling that it was starting to make my throat hurt. So I headed down. “Because she wants you. Why won’t you spend some time with her before you leave in two days?” I said then asked as I sat down on the couch behind him. “I need to get this done.” He said crumbling up some papers and throwing it out. “You never have time anymore. Even before your last album and now with your solo career taking affect. You just don’t acknowledge us. Hanna wants to spend time with you. I want you to spend nights with me. I miss you. Hell Hanna misses you! Why can’t you understand that?!” “Ally I’m sorry I just can’t right now. I should have more time when the tour is over.” I stood back up and headed back to the door. I then crossed my arms. “I can’t do this anymore. Maybe I can’t wait until this tour is over.”

I wiped my eyes of the tears that were falling. “What are you saying?” He asked turning around. “I don’t think Hanna and I are going to be here when you get back.” I whispered. “Ally, you’re my wife. You can’t do this!” I shot back around and looked at him. “Your wife?! Your wife?! Alex when was the last time you treated me like your wife? Or when was the last time you treated Hanna as your daughter? I’ve been behind you through your good times and you’re bad. Hell I’ve even been through your hellish times! Most women would have left you with all the drugs and alcohol. I stayed because I loved you. I stayed because I knew you could change. Because you did change. I didn’t want to loose you then and I...” I paused. “Alex, Hanna’s been up in her room crying because you don’t even want to look at her! That little girl is scared to death that her own father is disappointed in her for some reason. What has she ever done to make her so upset? Why can’t you spend just a few minutes with her?” I yelled. I didn’t get a response so I just shook my head then turned back around. “Because Hanna’s dying.” I froze then turned back around. “What?” “She’s dying.” “No. This can’t be happening.” I said as tears started falling harder. “How do you know?” “Dr. Kane called the other day. She said that her cancer is back and is spreading faster.” He said standing up and walking over to me. “My babies dying? No this isn’t right. This isn’t fair.” I said as he placed his hands on my shoulders. “Don’t touch me!” I said batting him away. “Ally.” “No. I...I’ve got to get out of her.” I said running up the stairs.

I ran to my car and just took off. I was thinking of going over to Nicks but thought better. I needed to talk to someone who knew what I’m going through. Nick also was a bad choice. Especially sense I hadn’t seen or talked to him in years. That’s when I turned around and headed into the other direction. When I pulled into the driveway I slowly walked up to the porch and rang the bell. I was pacing back and forth when the door opened. “Hey Ally.” “Kevin I don’t know what to do.” I cried as I fell into his arms. “Here let me get you inside.” He said walking me into the living room to sit. “What’s going on?” “It’s Hanna.” I started as he handed me a tissue. “I just found out that my little girl is dying of cancer.” “How and when did you find out?” “Alex just told me today. God I’m so mad with him right now! I just couldn’t believe he could keep something like this from me. What did he think she would automatically get better and I didn’t have to find out? I raised that little girl. I was there for her!” I started to cry again. “Ally I know you were.” He said in a calm tone. “Where was he when she took her first step? Or...when she got a booboo? Hell where the fuck was he when she was diagnosed with Leukemia?” I fell into his chest and just cried. “Kevin I can’t deal with this anymore. I can’t just have him leave with all of this going on. I can’t do this alone. I’m scared.”

As we where talking Kristin came in carrying the baby. She sat down across from us. She had a confused look on her face. So Kevin got up and sat down next to her to explain. “Oh my gosh.” She said covering her mouth with her free hand. Then she looked over at me. “Allison if you need anything I want you to call me okay?” I nodded my head. “I know. Thank you.” “When does AJ leave for his solo tour?” Kevin asked looking back at me. “In two days.” “Well we’ll need him to postpone it for a while.” “I don’t think he will. With what’s goin’ on right now.” I said. “I’ll go call Brian and Howie. They’ll need to catch a flight out here soon.” Kristin said getting up.

Kevin walked back over to me and sat back down. “When was the last time you talked to Nick?” I crunched up my nose. “Not sense the wedding.” “Baby that was four and a half years ago. You need him back in your life. He was your best friend. What happened?” “I don’t want to talk about.” I whispered. “We need to talk about it. If we’re all going to be here for you and Alex you need Nick as well.” “ I know. But...” I sighed. “Okay.”

(Flashback)
It was the day of my wedding. I was in the bridal room finishing up. “Look at you. You look beautiful.” Denise said smiling. “Thank you. Have you seen Alex?” “Well the last I saw of him he was so nervous. He was out back chain smoking.” “I hope he doesn’t freak out.” I said fixing my vail. “Now why would he do that? Alex loves you. He wouldn’t be marrying you if he didn’t.” She said as she was hooking my necklace. “I know he love me. It’s just what I’m gonna have to say to him afterwards.” “What’s that dear?” I turned and looked at her. “That I’m pregnant.” Once I said that Denise broke into a huge grin. Then she wrapped her arms around me. “Believe me. He’ll be ecstatic.”

After talking with Denise for a while there was a light knock on the door. Denise answered it. “Nick what can we do for you?” “May I have a moment with Ally please?” She looked back at me. “Is it okay?” She asked. “Sure.” I said. “I’ll see you soon.” She said closing the door as she left the room. “Hey Nick. What’s goin’ on?” “You can’t do this.” “What’s that?” I asked turning around to look at him. “You can’t marry AJ.” “What are you talking about?” “I know this isn’t the appropriate time to be saying this,” He started walking closer to me. “But I can’t keep this from you any longer.” He now had placed both his hands on my arms. “Nick what’s going on? Why are you acting like this?” I asked confused. “It’s because of this.” That’s when he pulled me to him and placed his lips to mine in a hot and heavy kiss. “What the hell are you doing?!” I said pushing him away. “Ally I love you. I think I always have.” “Why are you now tellin’ me this?” “I don’t know. I guess I was just afraid of how you would react.” “Like now?” I paused. “You’ve been my best friend for most my life. I’m about to walk down the isle. What you just did, cannot and will not ever happen again!” “But Ally?” “NO! I want you to leave. I don’t want you here anymore.” “Fine. I’m goin’.” He said as he reached for the knob. “Oh one more thing.” He turned back around. “I want you to say away from me.” “What?” He said with hurt in his voice. “That’s what I said. Our friendship... History. Because I can’t trust you to not do what you did again. So what we did have, it’s no longer there.” I said turning back around. That’s when I heard the door open. “I’m sorry Ally.” Then the door closed and Nick was out of my life. (End of Flashback)

“Did you ever tell anybody about what happened?” “No.” “So his feeling for you was the whole reason you never came on tour with us?” I nodded my head. “I don’t know what to say.” “I just can’t deal with the idea of him still feeling the same if he saw me now.” “Well I can tell you this. After all these years, I’ve never seen or heard him ever talk about you like that. Maybe he’s changed for the better.” “I do hope so.” I sat there a moment. “Kevin.” I started as he looked up at me. “I do miss him in my life.” “I’m sure he misses you too. Why don’t I drive you over there so you can talk to him?” “Will you do that for me?” “Ally I wouldn’t have asked if I wasn’t sure. You need all the support you can get and having your best friend there... You need that. For the sake of Hanna.”

Kevin ran up stairs to let Kristin know what was going on, then he came back down and we took off. “Kris said that if AJ calls that she’d let us know.” He said while we were on the road. I nodded my head. The twenty-minute ride to Nick’s was quite. I really didn’t have anything else to say so I just paid attention to the scenery around us. Once we pulled into the driveway I started to get nervous. I didn’t know what I was going to say to him. Even after almost five years of not speaking. I can agree that I do miss him but I haven’t spoken or even seen him so I don’t even know what he even looks like now. I was terrified to death. “Are you ready to go do this?” I took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. “Okay, let’s go do this.” I said getting out of the car.