- Text Size +
Chapter 2
I stood behind Kevin as he rang the bell. “Come on. He’ll want to see you first.” He said trying to step out of the way. “No, no you’re fine.” I said as the door opened. “Hey Kev. Waz’ up?” “Do you mind if we come in?” “Yeah sure.” Nick said with a confused look on his face. Kevin grabbed my hand and we walked in. “Where can we talk?” Kevin asked. “Umm... back porch?” He said grabbing a clean shirt and putting it on. I just gave him a grin as he walked by me. “Hey Allison, how have you been doing?” He asked as he sat down on a chair across from me. “I’ve been better I guess. You’ve lost weight.” “Yeah well, I was gettin’ kind of chucky.” He said patting his stomach. “No you weren’t. You looked fine.” I said trying to be polite. “You’re just sayin’ that to be nice.” I shock my head. “No. I mean it.” “Allison, why did Kevin bring you here now after almost five years?” “Because...” “The truth Ally.” “Hanna.” I said in a whisper. “What about her?” “Her Cancers back and it’s spread.” “Why’a tellin’ me? Shouldn’t you be takin’ to AJ about this?” “I walked out on him.” I said starting to cry. “I’m sorry. What do you want me to do?” “Help. Support us. Not with money or anything just be there for us.” “What about the others?” “Kristin was going to call Howie and Brian to let them know so hopefully they’ll be out sometime tomorrow.” “How’s AJ takin’ it?” “Not the way I was expecting. He’s leaving for his tour in two days and he’s avoiding...” I just broke down and cried in to my hands. Nick came and sat down next to me. He then placed his hand on my back. “I’ll do whatever it takes to get him to postpone his tour.” I looked up at him. “Thank you.”

Kevin sat there a moment before he said anything. “Nick I want to hear your side of this story.” Kevin asked turning to look at the young man. Nick got a worried look on his face then looked at me before responding. “Truth Nick.” I said looking at him. “I know.” He said looking back at me then to Kevin. “You know that Ally and I grew up together.” “Yeah, I know.” “Well... as we started to get older my feelin’s for her also grew. I knew that she was in love with Jay so I backed off.” “Tell him about the wedding? Tell him why you weren’t there when you were supposed to stand next to him up front with the groomsmen?” “Nick what did you really do?” Kevin asked. “I-I...” “Tell him!” I yelled. That’s when he looked at me. “Did you tell Jay?” Now I was without words. “So five years of your marriage have been lies!” “Lies? Nick, I never lied to Alex about anything. I just never told him what you did.” “So you did feel something when I...” “What?” Kevin said getting confused. “I kissed her in the bridle hall.” “I don’t believe you could go and do something like that. When you knew damn well how she felt!” Kevin said getting upset. “What?!” “Five years Nick! If she loved you then she wouldn’t have married AJ or asked you to say away from her.” “But I did stay away! She did marry AJ! She also had his baby. How could I compete with that?” Then he looked over at me. “Are you truly happy with your marriage?” “I-I am.” “Are you sure?” “I haven’t been more surer. I love Alex. He’s my life.” “What would happen if he weren’t there for you or Hanna right now?” “Right now?” He nodded his head. “Well, I’d fall apart. I wouldn’t know how to deal with...” “Losing Hanna.” Nick added. “Yeah.” I said grabbing another tissue from Kevin.

I sat there crying at the thought of not having either Alex or Hanna in my life. “I just think... I don’t know. I guess... I feel that once I lose Hanna I’m gonna lose Alex. I can’t deal with that.” I said. “Is that what you think?” Someone said from the doorway. I looked up to see four extra bodies. I just broke down. “Baby, I’m not goin’ anywhere.” Alex said. “But I thought...?” “Aaron told me everything. How he knew...” “I told him what happened back then.” Nick said. AJ walked over to me and took a seat. “What about your tour?” “I think that the fans will understand. Right now you and Hanna are first and fore most my top priority.” He said placing his hand on my face. “You did that for... us?” I asked looking into his eyes. “I did. Baby I’m so sorry for the way I’ve been acting towards you the last few weeks. Or months. I was just scared that’s all. It had nothing to do with you.” Then he looked up and over at Nick and shook his head. “But you Nicky-Boy have some explainin’ to do!” Nick flashed him a cheesy grin. “Alex, it happened five years ago. Don’t take it so hard. Just stay calm and let him get a head start.” I said placing my hand on his leg. “Oh I’m calm. This is calm Alex. You really don’t want to see pissed off Alex. It won’t look pretty.” He said to me.

Then he turned back to Nick. “So all these years the whole reason she never came on tour was because of you? Dude I thought she was your best friend? How could you confess your true feelings at our wedding? Why? Why did you think having her standing in her wedding gown would change her mind on marrin’ me? You barged into the bridle room and kissed my fiancée but who is now my wife! You know what, I don’t want you anywhere near her!” “Alex.” “I also want you to stay away from my family.” “ALEX!” I yelled. “What?!” He yelled back. I closed my eyes and held back my tears. “Baby I’m sorry. What do you want to say?” “I want... I wanted him back in my life.” I whispered. “What?” “I don’t want him regretting not being in Hanna’s life. Also I miss having him around. I just... miss him.” “But he...” “Baby, it happened. We can’t change the past but we can fix the future. The now. Alex, Nick has never met his only niece. I want them to get to know each other. Like she knows the others.” I said walking over to AJ and laying my hand on his back. “I guess your right. You need to be happy. You just weren’t the same when he wasn’t around.” He said turning around to face me. “Is Hanna here?” I whispered into his ear. He just nodded his head. “Good. She can meet Crazy Uncle Nicky.” “But I thought I was the Crazy Uncle?” Brian said. “You are crazy. She can have two crazy uncles.” “Crazy Uncles Frick and Frack.” AJ joked. I looked back at him then placed a kiss on his cheek before pulling away. I walked over to Nick and placed my hand in his. “Let’s go meet Hanna.” I said smiling at him. “She’s in the game room with Kristin, Mason, Leigh, Leighanne and Baylee.” Howie said. “Wow the whole gangs here!” I said. “And again I’m the third wheel.” Nick said.

Nick and I quietly walked down the hall to find the others. I took a deep breath before opening the door. Once in the room everyone look like they were having a good time. Hanna was playing a game with Baylee and Leighanne while Kristin was holding Mason and talking to Leigh. “Mommy!” Hanna said with a gleam in her eyes. “Hey, baby.” I said going down to her eye level and giving her a hug. “Where did you go? Daddy started yelling and throwing things after you left. He was saying a lot of bad words.” “I’m sorry sweetheart. Mama needed to go talk to Uncle Kevin about some things.” “Are you and daddy breaking up?” She asked with worry in her tone. “Where did you get an idea like that?” “Baylee.” She said pointing to him. “Baylee Thomas!” Leighanne snapped. “Sorry mommy.” He said apologetically. “It’s okay Leighanne; they’re still young.” I said as she smiled back.

I looked up at Nick and he looked nervous. “Baby, I’d like you to meet someone.” I said grabbing Nicks hand. Hanna looked up at the tall man standing in front of her. “Who is he mommy?” “This is another one of your uncles. This is you Uncle Nick. Can you say hi?” “Hi.” She said shyly. “Hey, there cutie.” He said with a smile. Hanna smiled back. Then she grabbed his wrist and pulled. Nick glanced over at me. I just smiled and told him it was okay. So he got down on the floor to sit. I headed over to the couch with the others and just watched them. Hanna stood in front of him for a moment and just glared at him. “Is something the matter?” Nick asked. “You look like that blonde one from my picture.” She said. Nick looked over at me then back at Hanna. “Can you smile?” Nick couldn’t help but chuckle. “You are the one with my other uncles and daddy.” He just nodded. “How come mommy never told me about you?” Nick sat there a moment before answering. Then he looked over at me again for guidance. I nodded my head then whispered that it was okay.

Nick didn’t know how to tell a child about our past. “I did something bad to your mommy a long time ago.” “What did you do to her?” “I...I fell in love with her.” “Why is that bad? I thought love was good?” “Love is good. Like your mommy loves your daddy. But the love I had was good until...” I had to cut him off. “What I believe Uncle Nick is trying to say is. He showed his at a bad time.” “Do you love Uncle Nick mommy?” She asked looking at me. I got down on the floor across from Nick before continuing. “I do love Uncle Nick but not in the same way that he does or did.” I said looking over at him. “He was my best friend growing up. When he did that bad thing it scared mommy. He just chose the wrong time and place to let me know how he felt.” “Where was that?” “The day your mommy and daddy got married.” Nick said. “Ally I am so sorry.” He said choking back tears. I placed my hand on his cheek and wiped a few tears away with my thumb. “Nick I do love you, but your my best friend and that’s all that it’ll ever be. And I’m sorry.” He nodded his head. “I know.” “I don’t wanna loose you. I need you in my life along with Alex and the others.”