- Text Size +
Chapter 3
That’s when Hanna climbed into Nicks lap and placed her head on his chest. She closed her eyes and fell asleep. He got up and I followed him into the spare bedroom and laid her down carefully. Then he closed the door after leaving. “I can’t believe she’s...” “Nick don’t. I don’t wanna think about it.” “Just one question then?” I nodded. “How long?” I shock my head and tried to bring up my voice. “About six months to a year.” Alex said from the doorway. “I’m sorry.” He said. I just broke down and cried into my hands. I just went weak and collapsed into a heap on the floor. Alex got down and wrapped his arms around me and just let me cry. Nick just stood there and was about to leave. “Nick wait.” Alex said while grabbing his hand. “She needs you too.”

He stood there a second then he came and sat down beside me. He looked like he didn’t know what to do. I sat up and put my hand out for him. “Nick.” I said biting my bottom lip. He studied it a moment then entwined his fingers with mine. Alex wrapped his arms around me again as I closed my eyes and Nick moved over closer to us. That’s when I felt warm tears fall and hit my cheek and hand. Both Nick and Alex were crying. It touched me to the core that these two who I love were crying. Now I had just wished that Kevin, Brian and Howie were all here to share this moment with me.

We had been gone quite awhile. I just felt so comfortable. “Hey what’s...” Kevin stopped in mid-sentence. I looked over Alex’s shoulder to see him standing there with the other two. “Is everything okay?” Brian asked looking kind of confused. Nick shook his head no. “Don’t asked questions, just get your asses down here and give Ally some lovin’.” Alex said as I just gave a huge sigh. Kevin got down and sat on the other side of Alex; Howie sat behind him while Brian sat behind me. We all had our arms around each other tightly. I was now feeling the love from everyone. I was still crying but I was also feeling happy at the same time. This is what I wanted. Not just the thought of loosing my daughter but having these five brothers here with me. “God I feel like a hamburger.” Alex managed to say. I scuffled a laugh. “Are you hungry?” Brian asked. “No I just feel like a hamburger, the way we’re all smashed together like this.” He said wiggling a bit. “Do you want to get up?” I asked looking up at him. “No, not unless you do.” He said looking back at me. “I’m fine. I like this. All of you being here with me right now.” “We’ll always be here for you Ally.” Nick said smiling. “I know, and thank you.”

That’s when I felt Brian move a bit. “Brian, it’s okay. I know it’ll be difficult for you. You too Howie.” “But we all need to be here for you.” Brian said feeling bad. I pushed back from Alex and laid my head back onto Brian. “It’s understandable. I know you’ve got your priorities back in Atlanta. I’ve got the other three here.” “But we need to be here for you right now.” Howie said moving from behind Alex. “D, you are here for me now. I’m grateful for this time with you guys. I also know you have your own lives to live. Hanna being sick shouldn’t stop you from being who you are.” “But Ally what about you?” Alex asked. I leaned forward and placed my hand on his cheek. “That’s why I’ve got you.” I whispered. That’s when his facial expression changed. “But I can’t always be there. What if she gets really sick while I’m on tour? While we’re on tour?” “But you all won’t be.” That’s when he looked at me oddly. “I’ve still got Kevin’s support.” I said smiling over at Kevin. “Duh, that’s right. I’ll still be around.” That got a laugh out of everyone.

That’s when I looked over and saw that Nick had stopped laughing. “Nick.” When I didn’t get a response I thought I’d try again. “Nick what’s wrong?” I asked placing my hand on his knee. He looked at me then just got up. Then he walked out of the room. “Guys I need to get up.” “Ally do you know what’s goin’ on?” Alex asked as I stood up. “No but I’m gonna find out.” I said walking out of the room to find Nick. It didn’t take me long to find him standing out back smoking. “I thought you would’ve quit.” I said standing at the door. “I tried. But failed.” I gave a small laugh at that. “Is there something you want Ally? I came out here to be alone.” I walked over and stood next to him. “Nicky, what’s wrong?” “Don’t call me...!” I pulled back. “I’m sorry I didn’t know.” I said heading back to the door. “Ally wait. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you about that. It’s just I get so sick and tired of everyone thinking that I like being called Nicky. It’s always ‘Nicky grow up, Nicky pick up your damn XBox, Nicky if you’re late for one more practice... Oh and I see that you’re getting a little pudgy around the gut there Nicky-Boy. Nicky, Nicky, Nicky! Can’t they just call me Nick?” He said turning from me. I looked at him then I moved back closer. Laying my hand on his back he jumped a bit and sighed. “Nick, I didn’t know. I’m sorry.” I said looking at him. That’s when I saw it. He was crying. Not the type of crying were you did something stupid and you knew you were in deep shit. But crying and it just came in buckets.

I didn’t know what to do or even say. “Nick, please talk to me. What’s going on? Why are you crying? We’re alone, so you can tell me anything.” He took the sleeve of his shirt to wipe his eyes. “Ally I can’t.” “Why? Why can’t you talk to me?” “Because I don’t want to loose you again if I tell you. I also don’t wanna loose my brothers if I tell you.” I shook my head not understand what he was getting at. “You have to tell me.” “If I tell you this, you have to promise me that you won’t be mad. At me or this other person.” “Okay.” He took a moment to collect his thoughts. “You know when Hanna was diagnosed with Leukemia she was gonna need a blood transfusion?” I nodded my head. “I had Alex call everyone he knew to be tested. But what are you gettin’ at?” “I was one of them who got tested. I was her blood type.” “I don’t understand why are you tellin’ me this?” He turned from me so he wasn’t looking at me. “Do you remember three months before you got married?” “I remember. Alex and I got into a fight about it. I told him I loved him and that I was sorry for what I had done. I also promised him that it only happened once that it would NEVER happen again.” I walked over to him and placed my hand on his arm. “I kept that promise to him.”

Nick moved from next to me to the back steps. Then he stopped. “Ally. The day you got married, how far along were you in your pregnancy?” I thought for a second. “I don’t know. Three...” I stopped in mid-sentence. “No, that can’t be. Nick we were safe. How is that possible?” I started pacing. I was also rubbing my temple with my fingers trying to get my mind right. “This can’t be... No... But Alex... we...” That’s when I stopped and looked at him. “Five years, Nick!” “I know.” “It’s been five frickin’ years!” “I know.” “Why are you tellin’ me this? How in the hell am I gonna explain this to Alex? That the one thing he cares for... isn’t his!” I said sitting down. “Then don’t.” He walked over to me and sat. “Alex is her father. Because he’s the one who raised her. Not me. He was there for every little thing. I wasn’t.” “Nicky.” “Have you ever noticed the blue tint in her eyes or how straight her hair was?” “I just thought her eyes were still changing.” I said as I let my tears fall. “I...” That’s when he reached over and placed his hand on me I got up. I walked over to the back steps and crossed my arms. Nick got up, walked over to me and turned me to face him. He then brushed a few stray tears away with his thumb. “I... I have to tell him.” I said in a whisper. He nodded. “I know you do.” He whispered back. “Ally... I wanted too...” “Nicky don’t. Please.” I said trying to look away. He took his thumb and index finger and placed it under my chin for me to look at him. “I’m so sorry. I wanted to tell you then...” “Nicky, I said don’t.” “I can fix it?” “No. I don’t want him hating you also.” “But he will once you tell him.” That’s when I felt his arms wrap around me.

I wanted so badly for him to just let me go but I was hurting too much to push him away. “Ally.” He said as I felt his warm breath hit my skin. “Please Nicky don’t. I can’t do this. Not again. I promised.” I said able to place my hands on his chest. “Please.” “Not with you.” I was able to move from his grip and sit back down. “I love Alex. He’s my husband.” “But do you love him?” “With all my heart.” He just stood there. “But the fights and the arguing?” “That doesn’t mean I’d love him less. I could never leave him. Besides this I’ve been keeping something from him.” Nick tilted his head. “May I ask?” “I’m pregnant. And yes this baby is his! That I know for a fact!” I said as I hard a thump back in the house.