- Text Size +
Chapter 6
By the time Alex had gotten back my contractions were now every minute. The pressure of having two babies pressing on you bladder was unbearable. I was wanting to push. “Ally don’t push!” “I can’t help it. I’m trying so hard not to but my body is taking control.” I said through a contraction. “Can you relax?” I shot him the ‘if looks could kill’ look. I grabbed his hand and screamed bloody murder. “I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU FOR DOING THIS TO ME!” I yelled just as Dr. Moore walked in. “You must be ready to deliver?” He asked as he put on his gloves. Then he placed my feet up in the stirrups. I grabbed Alex's hand and squeezed. “Okay Allison, go ahead and push as hard as you can.” I pushed so hard that I thought I popped a blood vessel. “Get these babies out of me now!” “Baby number one is crowning. Can you give me one big push?” I took in a huge breath, clamped my teeth together, closed my eyes and gave it all I had. “It’s a boy!” Dr. Moore said after the baby was out. “Alex would you like to cut the cord?” I let go of his hand. “You better hurry because I’m ready to push again!”

Alex went and took the scissors and sniped the cord. Then the nurse took the baby to clean him up. That’s when I started pushing again. “Ally you’re doing really well. Just a few more then you’re all done.” Alex said trying to sooth me. “FUCK YOU ALEX! You’re not the one pushing out two watermelons out of you vigina!” I cried. “Just stand there, shut up and look pretty! If you ever get me pregnant again you will be missing your boys!” I said grinding my teeth. Then I started to really push really hard. Harder then before. The baby was crowning but not leaving the birth canal. “Allison this baby seems a bit bigger so I’m going to have to cut you a bit so the head will slid out better. “Whatever! Just get it out!” Five minutes later I felt the baby slid right out. I felt fifty pounds lighter. I sighed. I was finally done with the hard work. “It’s a girl.” Dr. Moore said. The nursed rushed over and grabbed her and took her over to the baby table to work on her. “What’s going on?” Alex asked. “It’s nothing to worry about. She just wasn’t breathing that’s why they’re working as fast as they can.” He said as he picked up our son and handed him to Alex. “Will she be okay?” I asked. That’s when I heard her cry. I let out a sigh of relief.

Allison had been back in her room for about six hours asleep. She needed it after twelve hours of being in labor. I’m surprised the nurses let her sleep that long. Alex and I had been talking to Dr. Moore. “Will she be breast-feeding?” Alex looked over at her then to me. “I know she should, but... I don’t think she could handle it.” “Why do you think that?” Dr. Moore asked. When Alex didn’t answer I intervened. “She has been under a lot of pressure.” “How so?” I looked over at Allison then to Alex before responding. “Her daughter is very ill and she and Alex had been having problems.” I said as Alex took a seat next to her. She glanced over at him and smiled. “Do you think they’re suitable to care for the twins? Do you think with an ill child they’ll be able to handle the extra work?” I looked over at them, as they seemed so happy. Alex grazed his hand across Allison's cheek. Then she touched his hand with hers. I had to smile. “They can.” Then I looked back at the doctor. “I know they can. Those two are the best parents. They’ve raised Hanna who has Leukemia for almost seven years. If they can make it that long... I know they can do this.” “If you’re certain.” “Yeah. If they need help I don’t live to far from them.” “Not too far?” “About five, ten minutes. Give or take.” “Okay I’m going to take you word for it.” I’ve known Alex and Allison for fifteen years. I can admit Alex had his share of problems but having Allison around he’s cleaned himself up and he’s been a better man. Without them in his life...” I looked back over at them together again. “We all don’t try and think about that. We try to see things for the better.” Brian said walking down the hall with a smile. Nick and Howie followed suit.

I looked over at the three walking over and smiled. “I’m glad you made it. Where’s Hanna?” I asked. “She’s back at the McLean House. Leighanne and Leigh are watching her.” Brian said. “So you must be the guys that Alex has been talking about?” Dr. Moore asked. “Yes we are. I’m Howie; this is Nick and Brian.” Howie said introducing the others. “Will the four of you be around to help the McLean’s with the Hanna and the twins?” “We’ll help as much as we can but Howie and myself don’t live in the area.” Brian said. “I will be.” Nick said speaking up. “I don’t live to far from them so I’ll be over most of the time.” He said while looking over at me. I just nodded my head. “So will I.” I said. “Well okay then. I think they’ll have everything taken care of when she leaves.” He said placing his chart back into the slot. “Let her know that I’ll be back to check on her in a few hours.” “We will. Thank you.” I said as he turned and walked away.

I was to intrigued with having Alex touching me that I didn’t hear the others walk in. “Hey Ally.” Nick said. I finally glanced over at them. “Oh hey guys.” I said with a grin. “So have the two of you thought of names?” Brian asked. That’s just when two nurses came in pushing two baby carts in. I followed their eyes as they all looked at the two sleeping bundles of joy in front of them. “Hey you had one of each!” Nick smiled looking over at us. “Cool huh?” Alex said looking at me. I smiled as I wrapped my arms around his waist. “It is cool.” I whispered. “So, have you picked out names?” Howie asked. “I was thinkin’ Nickole Gene.” I said. “And I liked Nathan Gage.” Alex replied while looking at me. “I like it.” I whispered to him. “Me too.” He whispered back. “You named her Nick-ole?” Nick asked looking at me. I looked over at him and gave him a smile. “We did.” “Why Nickole?” I look at Alex then the other. Alex smiled at me the leaned in and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

As he and the other three headed out I looked over at Nick. “Nick, I wanted to name her after you.” “But why? I don’t understand.” I put out my hand for him, before I continued. “Because... first off... you’re my best friend. Second, you’ve taken care of Hanna while I was gone.” “I needed too.” “No, you didn’t need too. You choose too. You stood up and did something adult like. You did the grown-up thing. Taking care of Hanna in her time of need.” He looked away. “Nick you’re growing up. You weren’t thinking about yourself then, you were thinking about others. That took guts to do what you did and you didn’t turn your back on that little girl.” “I just wanted to spend some with her. I never got to see her grow-up.” That’s when he just couldn’t hold back any longer. “I’ll never get to see her grow up to a beautiful young woman like her mother.” He said while standing over by Nickole. “Nicky.” He leaned down and lifted her up. Then he turned around and looked at me. I watched him as he walked over to the chair next to my bed and took a seat. “Ally she’s beautiful just like you.” I leaned over and placed my hand on his head. “So you’ll be okay with us naming her after you?” “Yeah.” Then he chuckled. “Hey I can always call her Nicky.” He smiled over at me. “Yes you can... Nicky.” I said jokingly. He just stuck out his tongue. Then he placed her in my arms as he went and picked up Nate.

The End. Or Is It…