- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Alright the drama continues to unfold. Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)

The week went by fast or slow. I’m not sure, I don’t remember. I spent my days going to work, moping, crying, watching romance and waiting for the phone to ring. It never did. I guess I had really done it this time.


Why couldn’t anyone understand where I was coming from? I just didn't want to disappoint my dad. It wasn't because of who he thought Alex was, it was about what he would think of me. You know, for not being honest from the begining. Shit.


Nick didn’t bother to come back to my apartment, not even to pick up his things. They were still in my guest room collecting dust. Tears rimmed my eyes anytime I thought about Nick and his heart. How could we not notice. I mean, I had noticed the paleness and his loss of weight, but it didn’t occur to me. When we were younger eveyrone seemed to pick on him because he was the youngest, yet the biggest of the bunch. I thought he looked fine, but they badgered him so much. As soon as he found the willpower he lost it all and landed himself a gig as a surfer. We should have gotten a hint when he just up and quit his surfing. He loved doing that.


I shoved my face into my pillow and cried some more. How had my family gotten so screwed up. What other secrets was everyone holding back. I thought I knew them all, apparently not.


My phone rang interrupting my fit of cries. I gulped back the knot in my throat and roughly wiped away the tears. “Hello” I sniffled trying to sound normal.


“Oh Jesus! Are you still crying?” I heard Brian’s angelic voice and it broke me into another sob. “Sis…stop it.”


That was easy for him to say, he didn’t feel as shitty as I did. Knowing Leighanne she’d apologized over and over and then they’d made sweet…ew. I won’t even finish that.


“I can’t…help it…everyone…is mad at…me.”


I could already see him shaking his head. “No, they are not. Soph it’s not your fault that Nick is sick and well…we kinda understand that you are afraid to tell dad the truth about you and Alex. I don’t want to grill you about it, cause I know that you aren’t feeling great, but the truth is…you blew it.”


“I thought you felt bad for me?”


“I do, Soph. It’s just that for the first time I saw Alex’s sincerity and the pain he was feeling. He REALLY loves you.”


Why do people think I don’t know that. If only they knew how much my heart swells up when he looks at me. I sighed and once again wiped at the tears. “So what’s up with you? Is Leighanne still mad at you?”


He sighed heavily, “I don’t think so. Man, for her to think I’m cheating. Sure, with my job. Listen…I called to invite you camping with us. We are going next weekend and we would love for you to go with us. Please.”


This was a bit fishy, because Leighanne is not the camping type. She swats at anything remotely winged and wears heels almost everywhere. Maybe, he just wanted us to be all together, like when we were little and dad would take us down to the river to camp. I smiled remembering those days.


“I’m working that day.”


“No you’re not. I had dad pull some strings so you all get the weekend off. We are all going camping. Without mom and dad so that we don’t have another confessional, or at least don’t’ give one of them a heart attack.”


I felt bad to turn down the offer. So, I gave into it and agreed to meet at his house on Friday morning. Just as I hung up with Brian there was a knock at my door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I crept up to the peephole and smiled when I noticed Angie and Hannah.


Quickly I unlocked the door and swung it open. I wasn’t so happy with the what I saw at the door anymore. My sister had a bruised cheek, a black eye and her lip was busted.


“What the hell happened to you?” I grabbed her and shoved them into the apartment.


Besides Alex, Angie is our most troubled kid. I’m not sure why either. Mom and dad were great with all of us kids. Plus, she was always the pretty one. The one chosen for the plays. Prom queen. A straight A student and yet as soon as she graduated high school her life went down the drain. We didn’t’ understand what had happene to her. She had all kinds of dreams and goals that she wanted to achieve and then one day she just gave up on it all. She began to whore around, until she got knocked up by some asshole, who left her with a baby and never looked back.


“Don’t worry about it!” she snapped, smacking my hand away from her face. “I need you to watch this brat for me. I have some shit to do. Can you do that?”


“Uh…sure…” Hannah hugged me and I hugged her back. Such a fragile little girl.


My sister didn’t even bother to say thank you or good bye to her daughter. She just spun around and walked away. There was something not right about this picture. Angie is everything, but a bad mother. I looked down at Hannah who was clinging on to me for dear life.


“Everything alright Hannah banana?” She didn’t answer and instead tightened her grip. “My ribs honey!” I squealed and she loosened up. I decided not to push it, and guided her into the kitchen for a snack. Sweets always make me feel better…usually.


I quickly made Hannah a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and watched her gobble it up, like she hadn’t eaten in days. “Auntie Soph…do you mind if I shower?”


“Um…no. Sure. I actually still have clothes from the last time you spent the night.”


She just shook her head and we headed to the bathroom. I set the water for her and wandered off to find the clothes. My cop instinct was kicking in. I found all this a bit weird. Hannah could talk the ear off anyone and today I was pulling out words with a spoon.


I picked up the phone and called Brian. “Dr. Littrell’s office!” the spunky receptionist answered.


“Hey there, it’s Sophia can I talk to my brother.” She asked me to hold and within seconds he was on the line.


“You better not tell me you’re changing your mind.”


I forced a giggle and told him it wasn’t that. I explained Angie’s bruises and the awkward behavior from Hannah. “Damn Angie! Why can’t she ever pick someone good for her. What about Hannah is she bruised or…” I think he didn’t have the nerve to finish his sentence, but we were thinking the same thing.


“She wont let me. I ran the bath for her, but she kicked me out right away.”


“Sophia, she is a six year old. Not a teen.”


“Hey!!! I don’t have kids…why don’t you come over and help me. I mean you have Bailey and they are the same age.”


Brian cleared his throat, “I can’t. Hannah is not my…she’s not my child.” With that he hung up the phone. Well have a fit why don’t you.


I didn't have much of a choice, but to push all my negative thoughts to the side and enjoy the rest of my day with Hannah. We lounged around and watched TV, played some board games and ate tons of snacks, till we passed out cold on the sofa. I don’t know for how long we slept. All I know is that a really loud knock at the door woke me up. I cringed looking at the clock and realizing that my ass was late to work

I opened the door and there stood Angie with her busted up face and some money in her hand. She stomped right on in and went directly to shake Hannah awake. “Thanks a lot for watching her. She wasn’t a problem was she?”


“Of course not! What is up with you? What is wrong with Hannah?”


Her eyes sprang open and she looked up at me in shock. “What do you mean? What did she say?”


Bingo. There was definitely something going on and I wasn’t going to sit around and let it continue to happen. “Hannah is staying here with me, atelast till we go to the camping trip.”


“Fuck no! She is my daughter and you can’t keep her here. That would be kidnapping. I will call the police.”


“I am the police!”


Angie threw her head back and laughed. “Oh yes…miss police officer. Fuck you Sophia. She’s my daughter and I’m taking her with me. If you even dare try to stop me…” she menacingly pointed a finger at me and dragged Hannah out of the apartment.


Unfortunately she was the mother and there wasn’t much I could do. Hannah hadn’t given me any reason to believe she was in danger, really. But I wasn’t stupid, I knew there was something in her eyes. She was scared of something and I was going to find out what the hell it was.