- Text Size +

When I opened my eyes I was surprised to see Alex’s brown eyes looking down at me. He was sitting on the side of my bed and he was holding my hand. I smiled and felt the familiar pang in the pit of my stomach. Then the memories of the night before startled me and I sat up. Pain seared through my body and my head.

I groaned. “Where is Hannah? Did they take her? Is she hurt?”

Alex nodded his head and put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me back down on the bed. “Don’t worry she’s with Brian in his office. Frank and I got there right on time.”

“What did they want with her?”

He cleared his throat. “They really didn’t give us a chance to ask questions.”

That sent me into a panic, because I was more than sure they weren’t the ones in charge. There was someone powerful out there that was after my family now and it was killing me because I had no idea who it was or why.

“No. Alex, they are bad people. They will try it again. You idiot!” I smacked him.

"You know I wont let anyone hurt you, Sophia!" 

I glared at him for being such a macho guy. Why couldn’t he ever be a normal cop and arrest people instead of putting bullets in them? Instantly my anger was gone when I saw Kevin leaned against the door frame, his arms crossed over his chest just watching me.

“Kevin…” I smiled and he walked towards me.

Alex got up and snatched his jacket off the chair and stormed out of my room. My heart skipped a beat. I realized I had pushed Alex’s buttons.

“Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you’re ok.” He took my hand in his and placed a kiss on the top of my head. It was so weird how Alex made me so uncomfortable lately and when Kevin was around all seemed peaceful.

“He’s just having a moment. Plus, he has a lot to worry about now.”

Kevin stepped closer to me and took a seat on the edge of the bed. “I was so worried about you.” He carefully traced the purple markings on my face.

“Well, I’m fine. I’m a tough girl and it wouldn’t have been so bad if I wouldn’t have been caught off guard. I’m ok.”

He shook his head trying to give me reassurance that he believed I was that tough, but lately everyone saw me as this fragile doll that could easily break. The nurse came in carrying a clipboard with a friendly smile on her face; she seemed really young to be in the profession she was in.

“Alright Ms Thompson you are free to go. Just sign here, please.”

She handed over the clipboard and pointed at the highlighted area. She had made it pretty idiot proof. I signed quickly and thanked her. Kevin looked for my clothes and I got dressed quickly, unaffected by his presence in the room. He’d seen it all...in the shower.

We walked down the hall slowly towards Brian’s office. Kevin said he’d wait for me downstairs in the lobby and kissed me quickly. I knocked and then entered the room, where Brian was in a trance staring at Hannah.

“Uh…she’s not going anywhere. I think she’s the safest she can be in this room.” I smiled at him.

He sighed and grumbled. “I highly doubt that.”

I took a seat too quick and grunted as I felt my ribcage throb. “Why would you say that?"

Instead of answering he scolded me. “Jesus! Have I ever told you, you picked the wrong profession? I mean, you could have been a model, dancer, nurse, horse jockey…but no, you go and choose to be a cop!”

“What does that mean?” I was offended.

Brian ran a hand over my head and sighed once again. “It means I don’t think you are cut out to handle everything that comes with being in law enforcement. Look at your face Soph, it’s all messed up. Those men could have killed you guys.”

“I’m suspended. I don’t have my gun.” That was my argument. It sucked.

“You have bad aim, anyways!”

That made me rol my eyes, I knew he was right. I just wasn't going to admit it.  Hannah was fast asleep on Brian’s couch. I’m not sure what he had a couch in the room for, but he said it was for sleeping. I imagined it was for when Leighanne sneaked in on her breaks.

“I’m afraid they will come back for her. I just don’t get what they want with her?” I was trying to get some answers.

Brian shook his head and watched Hannah again. He let out a heavy sigh and started to fiddle with his fingers. There was a hint of anxiousness in his movements and it seemed like he wanted to say something.

“Maybe, it’s her dad and he has finally decided to take responsibility. No…that’s dumb. He could be a bad guy and now he wants Hannah just to use her. Fucking bastard.” I continued my rant.

“Sophia. Her dad is not a bastard and he’s not part of any mafias, gangs or bad stuff. He’s a decent man who made a mistake and never stepped up to his responsibilities.”

He spoke so kindly of a man that I thought the lowest of. “This man you are talking about is a huge douche bag who left Angie all alone to raise a baby. I have no respect for him and will not let him take Hannah. Anyways, how do you know him?”

Brian cleared his throat and took a deep breath. “I just do. So, I was thinking that for Hannah’s safety she should come and stay with me and Leighanne. You know how she is with kids and she would be more than happy to help out.”

I was dumbfounded and my heart leaped into my throat when I heard him say it. A part of me knew that the idea was a great one. She couldn’t be any safer…well…unless she stayed with Alex, but then there would be other dangers for her.  

“I just fixed that extra room in my apartment. Plus, we have a good time and I love having her around.”

“I know, I’m just…I think it would be best.”

“No. I’m sorry Brian, but I don’t agree with you on this one. I would appreciate if everyone would stop being so overprotective of me and just let me be.”

Brian opened his mouth and then hesitated. I was so angry at him for trying to take Hannah now that I was so attached to her, that I shouted at him to just come out and tell me whatever the hell it was on the tip of his tongue.

I watched as he sat on the corner of his desk and fiddled with his fingers. His gaze moving back and forth from Hannah to me and back. “It’s just that…I don’t think I should say anything. It’s been so long. Just let me do what I think is best for Hannah. Don’t put up a fight Sophia…”

“Ugh…I hate how you think you’re so righteous and everything about you is perfect.”

“That’s bull crap!” He snapped. “I’m not perfect!”

“I don’t see what gives you the fucking right to do this?”

I could tell I had pushed Brian’s buttons. He was looking as pissed as I’d ever seen him. “She’s my daughter. I have the right. You know that douche bag and asshole that you and mom are always going on about…that’s me.”

It felt like someone had stabbed me in the stomach. I even laughed a little, because it all sounded so fucking hilarious. How in the hell had we missed that? Why hadn’t Angie ever said anything about it? I felt like laughing again and crying at the same time. So many times had he seen Angie and Hannah in bad shape? Yet, he’d turned his back and ignored it all. I’d asked him to take care of her and he’d declined telling me to my face that she was not his daughter.

By now I was standing and my breathing was elevated. I felt livid. As if I could have killed him right in that moment. I pursed my lips to keep from crying and then I let him have a slap to the face. He deserved it.

Brian didn’t say a word and just held his hand up to his cheek. “You are fucking selfish. That little girl has suffered so much in the past two years and you’ve seen it and never did a damn thing about it. She was SOLD for drugs…” I smacked him on the arm. “SOLD!”

“I…I’m sorry. I wasn't ready for anyone to know. School was my top priority and hers was being crazy and sleeping around. She said she didn't even know whose it could be and that she was going to have an abortion. I just found out too Sophia..."

"How long ago?"

"A few months ago."

A few months was a long time to me. Angrily I shook Hannah awake. She looked up at me disoriented and frightened when she saw me crying. "Aunt Soph...You ok?" It made me even sadder to see the resemblance that we had either ignored or never noticed.

I sniffled back the tears and helped her to her feet. "Come on Hannah. We are going home."

"Sophia! Just wait...we need to talk about this."

We rushed out of the office ignoring Brian and towards the elevator. We both got in. I pressed the lobby button and the doors slowly closed. There was no Brian right behind us.

I wasn't sure why I was so upset about the news. I knew Angie was out of control back then. That Brian was trying to make something out of himself. I guess, it was that they both were taking Hannah for granted. Angie was using her little girl for her bad habits and Brian was ignoring the fact that she was his daughter.

Hannah's little warm hand found mine. "Aunt Soph...Why did Uncle Brian say I'm his daughter?"

I let out a small cry. The doors opened. Alex looked up at us concerned.