- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow I can't believe I updated this almost four months ago. I hope that you still read on there is so much more to come and i outlined a few chapters so I should be updating more often. Thank you!!!

Later that evening there was a knock at my door which made me cringe. I stood up and looked through the peephole and rolled my eyes when I saw my brother standing there.

"Open the door Soph...I can see your eyeball." Brian said cocking his head to the side.

I sighed heavily knowing there was no way I would leave him out there. Slowly I unlocked the door and opened it. He quickly gave me a cheesy smile. I rolled my eyes and gestured him to come in.

Brian quickly scanned the place. "It hasn't changed since that one time a year ago that you came."

"Don't start giving me the guilt trip alright. I came because I think it's important that we talk."

I sighed heavily again, knowing that this conversation was going to be about Hannah. "I'm not changing my mind about giving you Hannah. She's happy here with me." my voice cracked a little.

"I know. I get that." He pursed his lips. "I shouldn't have told you that way."

"Yeah, well what's done is done. I just don't understand how you could stand by and see her suffer and not do a thing."

"Soph, I have to explain to my
Wife and DJ that I made a baby with a girl that's considered my sister." Brian took a seat and put his hands over his face.

"That's the worst part...you always gave Alex and I so much grief about our relationship and you were doing the same." 

"I messed up. I'm sorry. I swear it was just recent that I found out. I know I messed up for not taking responsibility for her when you asked me. I panicked the day you told me, thinking you already knew."

I could see the distress in my brothers voice and all over his face. "I'm sorry for being such a bitch. I was so upset." I took a seat next to him and placed a hand on his knee. "I say you work on telling your family first and then depending on how they take it...we work out what's going to happen with the whole custody." I gave him a shoulder nudge.

"You haven't lost your counseling touch." Brian smiled then chuckled."

"I should start charging." I giggled.

The laughter subsided and silence filled my living room. Brian cleared his throat. I loved him so much that I felt really guilty at that moment for all the awful things I had said. 

"You're  not a horrible person and I know that you wouldn't have abandoned Angie if she would have been honest." 

Brian rubbed his hands together and let out a deep sigh. I knew he was distraught, that all this was very stressful. "No, I wouldn't have. No matter how ashamed I was for doing what I did with her."

"Is that why you got all church boy on us and spent most your time helping Father Gary?"

He shook his head in response. 

"I'm so sorry you got involved with Angie."

"I'm not. I'm just sorry I got involved when she was already dead inside. She always said she wasn't good enough for me, that I was wasting my time. I realized it after I found her with that stupid biker that dad used to lock up every other weekend for indecent exposure at the bar."

That made us both laugh again. I remembered that gross man too damn well. He loved to get drunk and flash what he didn't have to all the women at the bar. Then dad would get called up to take him to the station. 

"So what now?" I was afraid to ask, but I needed to know. 

"I still need to explain everything to Leighanne, so for now we stay the same way. We will figure something out soon." 

He stood up and headed for the door. 

"Want something to drink? Coffee? Water?"

"No thanks Sis. I gotta get going back to work, a doctors job is never done. Thank you for hearing me out!" He took me by surprise when he pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a squeeze. 

Just as we parted there was a knock at the door. "Busy girl." He said opening the door.

My stomach coiled as I saw who was at the door. 

"Hi officer Richardson." Brian greeted and then looked at me with a grin. 

"Hello" Kevin replied. His green eyes on me the whole time. I noticed he had a big yellow envelope in one hand as he stood there still I'm uniform.

"Alright Soph, I'm out of here. Mom said to pick up Hannah tomorrow afternoon." He kissed my cheek quickly, gave Kevin a wave and rushed down the hall.

I bit at my lip now that I was face to face with Kevin...alone. There was a moment of awkward silence as we looked at each other.

"You gonna leave me out here or invite me in?" 

"Oh I'm so sorry. Please come in. Would you like some coffee?"

Kevin entered and went directly to the kitchen where he placed the envelope on the counter. "I've gotta be going soon. Still on duty tonight. I just wanted to show you something."

Being around Kevin really confused me. Although i believed that I was  was still in love with Alex. Kevin tugged at my heart strings. He made me feel wanted and I really enjoyed him around me. I felt secure.

"Ok. Is everything ok?" 

He didn't say a word and busied himself with opening the envelope. "I found this in the chiefs office today. It's a black book with all the names of...what I believe are the dirty cops that the chief covers for. He gets a lot of money for every case he makes disappear...all kinds of things are going on in our station, Sophia."

"What?!?" I snatched the book from him and Skimmed through it. He wasn't lying there were officer names on each page. Dollar amounts. Codes that I knew. My eyes went wide as I stared at the familiar name in the book. "I always knew it...there just wasn't anything that proved it."

"I'm sorry. I should have warned you. Frank is in there too."

"We need to tell my dad he'll know how to help us." I state picking up the phone.

"No!" Kevin snatched the phone out of my hand. "No one else can know about this right now. Please promise me you won't tell anyone!"

Kevin having these documents only meant trouble to me. "You shouldn't get involved just go and put it back. This only puts you in danger Kevin."

He smirked. "Are you worried about me or Alex?"

The question took me by surprise and I looked at him a little puzzled. I wondered if he knew something. "Both of you." I was sincere.

"I need you to hold it for me and I will come back for it in a few days."

"A few days?"

"I got a special assignment. I'll see you soon." He leaned in to kiss me, but I turned my face, just as his lips grazed my cheek. "Right. See you."

He turned around and headed for the door; leaving the black book on my kitchen counter. I opened my mouth to call him back. 

Nothing came out.