- Text Size +

Nick was seated on the couch next to Brian, the two of them were wearing headphones and working out beats to a new song. Howie was sitting across the aisle, answering emails and updating the BSB website on his laptop. The three of them looked up when Aj entered the room through the curtained divider that separated the lounge area from the bunks.

He sat down silently and opened the bottle of aspirin he carried out with him, pouring two onto the table before he closed the top again and shoved it into his pocket. Nick and Brian removed their headphones and eyed him questioningly.

"Everything okay man?" Nick asked, reaching over and tossing him a bottle of water, which he quickly used to swallow the pills.

"Yeah," Howie prodded expectantly, "I thought I heard you talking to Emily in there."

He sighed, "I was."

Nick stood, an unnerved look on his face, "is she alright?" he asked as he walked towards the bunks.

"Yeah man... she went back to sleep."

Nick turned back to his seat and flopped down, shaking his head and bouncing his leg nervously as he looked over to where Aj was seated.

"Another nightmare?" he asked running his fingers through his hair.

"Yeah." He answered, "I heard her whimpering when I went to get the medicine out of my bag. She kept saying 'no... don't hurt me,' over and over again, but she was awake by the time I got to her."

Nick frowned and buried his head in his hands, "Same as last night."

Brian nodded in agreement.

"Something's definitely going on with her," Nick said, staring towards the curtain, "and if I'm being honest guys... I don't think it's just depression."

"What do you mean NIck?" Howie questioned, raising his eyebrows at his friend's statement.

"I mean... I think... well D, I don't really know. It's just, the things she was saying last night in her sleep, and when our dad left this morning, I'm sure she said something. I just... I have this feeling that something happened. Something none of us know about. Maybe years ago. Maybe something really horrible. But she won't tell me. She won't talk to anyone about it and I can tell it's eating her up inside."

Nick stopped talking and wiped his eyes.

Aj reached over and placed his hand on Nick's knee. "I agree man. I heard the things she was saying... I heard her crying. I saw the look on her face when she woke up. I don't know that I've ever seen true fear like that. I think this goes beyond depression."

Nick nodded, "That's why I told her she didn't have to go to Blueriver. Even though dad was dead set on sending her there. Something in my heart... something in my head, keeps telling me that's not what she needs."

Brian moved closer to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Do you think it's the accident Nick? I mean, that's her past... and it had to have been horrible. Do you think maybe she remembers?"

Nick shook his head. "No. I don't think that's it. Somehow I think this goes much deeper than that. But I can't put my finger on... and I don't know why. I just feel like she's tried to tell me before... a few times. But everytime she does something stops her."

Howie looked up and nodded, "We'll be in New York tonight Nick. I'll call my sister first thing in the morning and see if she can hook you up with a good doctor in that area. It sounds like Emily really needs to talk to someone... maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable talking to one of us."

Brian patted Nick's shoulder and gently pulled him into a hug, "We'll get her help man. We all love her too ya know... we're here for both of you."

"Thanks guys." Nick smiled slightly as they sat in silence for a few minutes before the hum of the road lulled them into a sense of peace and security and they all went back to working on their projects.

Nick leaned his head against the cool window and thought about everything the guys had said. He knew they all loved Emily almost as much as he loved her. He knew they'd all do whatever it took.

He just hoped it wasn't too late.