- Text Size +
It should have been a simple 17 hour flight from Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles but it ended up being a long 24 hour flight with delays in Australia and having to stop in Asia for aircraft damage. All Denise wanted to do was land in Los Angeles and be in the arms of her lover, her boyfriend Nick Carter. Denise was moving from Australia to the United States after a 5 year battle from all angles. Finances, governments, family, friends. Denise started to send things over to the US and told Nick to leave everything until she arrived and just store it at his place.

When she landed at Los Angeles, she almost kissed the ground thanking herself for being on the ground. She turned on her phone to notify Nick she had arrived. Naturally his phone was switched off or he was on the phone. She left a voice message for him and when she hung up, discovered she had a voice mail. Nick.
“Babe, I would be there to meet ya and all but the guys and I are stuck in the studio. Blame Howie on this. He didn’t like how we all sounded on this one song and he wants us to do it again. I got a car waiting for ya when you get out. You can come straight to the studio or you can head to our place. Hehe that sounds funny, our place. C ya!” He said.
“Great, he’s not even here. Another let down.” She said to herself. After spending about 2 hours in customs, officials questioning her moving here because she was marrying Nick Carter and everything, she was free. Pushing the trolley of her luggage, she smiled. “I’m here.” She sighed.
Marcus, one of the boys bodyguards was there to meet her.
“Welcome to America. Land of the crazy.” He said.
“Thanks! Sorry about the delays and all.” Denise apologised.
“That’s LAX for ya. We’re used to it.” He laughed and he took her trolley and began to walk out to the car park.
“Nick still cooped up?” Denise asked.
“Yup, he ain’t liking it. He wants to be out there in the sun and all.” Marcus laughed as they approached the car.
“Hey you. So much for us guys standing you girls up.” Nick spoke as the car door opened and Nick got out.
“Nick!” She whined hitting him on the arm laughing and they hugged.

As Marcus drove back to the studio, Nick was allowed a break to go and meet Denise, Denise got used to being on the other side of the road while she and Nick talked.
“Oh yeah, you ain’t been on the other side of the road before have you?” Nick remembered.
“No.” She replied not wanting to look at the roads.
“Well babe, you gotta get used to it. Ya in America now. Everything’s reversed.” He laughed.
“Can’t you guys be in Europe or something?” She whined.
“That’s in what a couple of months or something.” He replied.

When they arrived at the studio, Marcus went on to their place to drop off Denise’s bags and come back to the studio. After they finished the song at the studio, Denise was going to join Nick, Brian, Brian’s wife Leighanne, Howie and his wife Leigh, AJ and his girlfriend Rebecca. Denise had never been to the United States and everything so simple was fascinating.

Denise managed to get a job at a radio station as a correspondent relaying information to fellow Australian’s around the US and was a correspondent for TV and radio to Australian TV shows after applying to Los Angeles TV and radio stations. She wasn’t meant to start work Monday, a whole week to adjust herself to American life.

As she walked into the studio, behind Nick she was given a surprise. The guys had decorated the studio with Australian flags, both of the boxing kangaroo and the actual Australian flag, green and yellow streamers, Australian food and a bit of music in the background.
“G’Day Mate!” AJ tried to say in an Australian accent that sounded British.
“Oh wow. This is fantastic.” Denise exclaimed shocked looking around.
“Good liars aren’t we?” Nick laughed, putting his arms around her waist, leaning down to kiss the left side of her neck.
“Yeah...too good.” She laughed.
“This is only just for this afternoon. Tonight you start becoming American.” Howie reminded her as she was getting hugs from him, Brian and AJ.
“No matter how much you brainwash me, I will always be Aussie. I will bring out the Aussie in you all.” Denise replied.
“Yeah whatever.” Brian laughed.

Arriving at Farmer Boys restaurant, just outside downtown Los Angeles, Leighanne, Rebecca and Leigh were there waiting for Denise and the guys to turn up. “Now you become American now.” AJ joked with Denise.
“To make things a whole lot easier for ya, we already pre ordered everything on the menu.” Brian said to Denise.
“Brian, you didn’t!” Leighanne shrieked at him.
“We did.” He laughed.
“We’ll eat it.” AJ piped up.
“We? Define we?” Rebecca asked him.
“Me and Nick of course. Howie maybe.” AJ laughed.
“Hey, no way dude. I’m outta this one.” Nick said as the waitress started to bring some of the food out.
“Now you have to have a French Fry. American’s do it best.” Howie told Denise as he gave her some fries. Throughout the night Denise tried almost everything.
“Good thing the airline food sucked and didn’t eat anything.” Denise laughed.
“Airline food often does. Reason why we sleep on long flights.” Howie replied.
“I thought that top chefs prepared meals on some flights?” Nick asked.
“In dreamland dude.” AJ told him.
“Actually, Nick is right.” Denise defended Nick.
“What? Nick right?” Howie laughed.
“Hey! Watch it!” Nick retaliated back.
“When I was booking the flight to come here, I went onto one site and if you were like in business/first class whatever, one Aussie chef has created meals and all. I didn’t look more into it as I would never get in there and all but it is true.” Denise explained.
“Ah, D, hate to be one to tell you this, but when we all fly, we all fly first class.” AJ sighed, an arm around Denise.
“No one told me that! That wasn’t in the brochure!” Denise laughed, then everyone laughed. One by one they all left. Brian and Leighanne had to get back home to their son Baylee, same with Leigh and Howie, Rebecca had an early start the next morning at work.

“So here we are.” Nick sighed as he drove up the driveway, gates shutting past behind him.
“Oh my god! You told me it was big but this is HUGE!” Denise said.
“Oops! Did I forget to tell ya?” Nick laughed.
“If I had known, I would have brought more stuff.” Denise laughed.
“You know on how much you brought? A whole room full!” Nick asked joking.
“Gimme time to add my stuff and we’ll be right.” Denise laughed.
“Oh please no fancy stuff and all.” Nick groaned.
“Mean all that frilly stuff! Hell no! No way! That ain’t me.” She laughed as Nick opened the front door, Denise following him inside.
“Oh thank god!” Nick sighed of relief.
“You should know that I am not that kind of girl. Frills and all, ugh!” Denise laughed. Nick showed Denise around his place, starting on the downstairs area first, lounge room, dining room, kitchen, entertaining area, movie room, game room. Outside with the lights on from inside he showed her the backyard, basketball court, outdoor swimming pool. “Now the main part of the house.” He laughed.

Up the stairs, he pointed to his room opening the door, then did the same to Denise’s room next to it, boxes stacked up. Next to their bedrooms was another spare bedroom, Nick’s office in the far corner, a gym/workout room, the bathroom and another movie room with a smaller TV screen than the one downstairs which was like a cinema screen.
“All this for you! Really?” She asked Nick as they went back down the stairs again to go into the kitchen to get a drink.
“Yeah I know. I like my space. I can afford it so why not? Anyway, you are here now.” Nick replied, laughing towards the end.
“Yup. All here.” Denise sighed as she looked out to the Los Angeles skyline.
“You still awake are ya?” He asked.
“Yeah, I’m on Australian time. It’s like late afternoon/early evening.” Denise replied.
“That’s the thing when you arrive in a country and all. Ya time zone is outta whack.” Nick sighed as he stood next to Denise.
“Isn’t it true that when you arrive in the morning you stay up all day or something and go to sleep at night or whatever?” She asked him.
“Don’t ask me. I sleep when I’m told to sleep.” He replied. Denise eventually went to sleep. Nick went to bed not long after they talked and Denise went into her room to start unpacking. She got as far as opening the first box and she fell asleep.