- Text Size +
Within half an hour of the phone call, Denise was being connected back to Sydney for the latest on the siege. “Denise, what can you tell us where you are now?” Chris the journalist back in Sydney asked.
“Well Chris, there is definitely a siege at a Bridal shop just about 500 metres behind me here. From what we have been able to confirm and believe, a woman has come in and started harassing the staff about spending several thousand dollars on a dress that was not made correctly and not being fixed right. There have been gun shots fired since we have arrived. Unable to determine if anyone is injured. Authorities not informing us.” Denise explained.
“Do you know anything about the security of the store?” Chris asked.
“From talking to some locals while waiting to come on air and the crew here, it’s tight security here. Where you think there aren’t any cameras, there are. We do know that some cameras have been shot at to try and avoid anyone seeing anything of what is going on inside but for security reasons, Police aren’t letting the public know where these cameras are.” Denise replied.
“How many hostages are there?” Chris asked.
“We believe there are 5 trapped inside. The manager, sales assistant and 3 customers. That’s all we know.” Denise replied.
“Alright. What we’ll do is, come back to you if there are any more further developments. Take care.” Chris said.
“No worries.” Denise replied and nodded.

Denise went back in the van waiting on more developments on the siege. It was at least another hour before there was some movement at the store, more gun shots fired. The SWAT team was there and were ready to go in when it was safe. Denise started to feel uneasy with things but the crew she was with assured her that her safety was the most important thing. “If we become in any danger, we’re outta here. We don’t do no hero stuff.” Johnny the cameraman told her.

Around midnight, the SWAT team moved in. It had been about 4 hours since the siege began and gunshots were continuously being fired in the store. Police thought it was a deterrent but it was real gun shots from the equipment they had used. Nick had called a couple of times but she had to tell Nick she couldn’t talk and she would call him soon as she could. She had to keep her phone free in case of anything came through on her phone. The woman had shot all hostages and was shot down by the SWAT team for fear they would be targeted, in defence.

The crew drove Denise home around 1am. Nick was at the front door waiting impatiently for her, with worry. When Denise was walking up the steps, Nick opened the door. “She’s finally home now AJ. Just walking in the door now and in my arms now as I speak.” Nick said into the phone.
“Hey AJ.” Denise sighed leaning on Nick. Nick and AJ spoke for a couple of minutes before Nick got off the phone.
“You bed now.” He told her.
“I wanna have some dinner first. I never got to have dinner.” Denise replied about to walk into the kitchen.
“I’ll bring it up to you. Had a hell of a night, you upstairs now.” Nick ordered her too.
“I’m fine Nick. Just tired that’s all.” She replied as she let go of Nick’s arm who was trying to get her upstairs.
“Alright, but let me do it alright.” Nick sighed giving in.
“Don’t forget, I’m a Taurus...I’m a bull...stubborn.” Denise reminded him as they walked in the kitchen, Denise sitting at the kitchen bench while Nick went into the fridge and made her a sandwich.
“Don’t remind me.” Nick laughed.
“Hey, you’re the one that wanted to go out with me. You knew I was a Taurus. You met me on my birthday.” Denise reminded him.
“Gee that seems a lifetime ago.” He sighed as he was making the sandwich.
“Lifetime! To me it seems like yesterday.” Denise remarked.
“Oh for you it would.” He replied.

At the radio station Denise was giving the DJ’s the low down of the siege in Rodeo Drive last night and was being interviewed about it in between working on her shows for that afternoon. She talked briefly about the siege on both shows but moved onto other topics.

When she finished Friday afternoon and went home, Nick was there bags packed. “Where you off to?” She asked shocked.
“WE are going outta town for the weekend. No work, nothing. Leaving tonight, back here Monday morning in time for us to go to work on Monday. You have 20 minutes to pack your bag.” Nick replied.
“Where are WE going?” She asked.
“It’s a surprise.” He replied.
“Well I need to know what to pack.” Denise told him.
“Ah, casual, a little warmer than LA weather.” Nick replied laughing.
“I’ll get you!” Denise laughing running up to her bedroom and packing her bag.

Arriving at Los Angeles airport, Denise followed Nick through all the crowds to the US Airways terminal. “Vegas alright with ya?” Nick said.
“Vegas! Alright with me...sure.” Denise replied smiling as they stood in line for check in. Both on their phones tweeting people.
“Hey, get closer.” Nick said as he pulled her close to her, his hand out taking a photo with them two.
“Any crazier and people would be asking questions.” Denise laughed.
“Vegas baby!” Nick replied.