- Text Size +
Back at work on Monday Denise got back into the groove of things again. In her morning meeting, Denise mentioned that her broadcast was going to be about the bushfires happening on the eastern side of Australia that was dominating the news back in Australia. “By doing this, this will give information to everyone. When bushfires hit Australia, it hits home and it becomes personal for everyone. People get misinformed from sources and I think by getting it from people who are in the situation, it will be better.” Denise explained.
“What is the situation there?” Gary, her manager asked.
“Catastrophic. This is one of the worst ones in the world. The government has declared basically two states natural disasters, reinforcements flying in from overseas, even as far as here in the US and the UK.” Denise replied.
“Really? That bad?” Mark, her technician assistant asked.
“Oh yeah. It’s incredible.” Denise answered.
“Do it then. Go for it.” Gary told her.

Because of the bushfires happening in Australia, Denise wasn’t doing any entertainment news for the TV shows, she was relaying what information the United States was saying about the bushfires and what was their response onto this. After coming off the air and getting back to the radio station, she received a phone call from a reporter from People magazine.

“We are interested in doing an article on you about your life, how you met Nick Carter and how you are adjusting to your life here in America. Also it would be great if Nick could be in it too.” Holly the reporter asked.
“Oh ok...Can I get back to you on that?” Denise replied.
“Yeah sure. I’ll give you a call in a few days and see what you say.” Holly replied. Denise finished off a few things at the studio and left, heading for the studio where the guys were.

“Oh good...Denise, check this out. We need an opinion and no one is around.” Howie said as she walked into the dance studio where she found the guys.
“What is it?” Denise asked as she put her bag against the corner of the mirror.
“We are working on this new routine for As Long As You Love Me, we are doing it ourselves. Wanna personalise it more. We all have our own versions. We know it and all but we can’t decide which one to use.” Brian explained.
“Yo, Rok, you know that Denise will choose Nick’s one.” AJ said.
“She will not. She will pick the best one.” Nick spoke up.
“Um, why you let her make the decision?” Denise laughed. Denise watched as they performed their versions, Howie, Brian, AJ and Nick in turn.
“Well?” AJ asked as they collapsed on the ground, stretching out.
“Personally, I love them all. All too damn good.” Denise replied.
“Professionally?” Brian asked.
“Professionally? Um, Howie’s.” Denise replied.
“Fan wise?” Nick asked.
“Aw geez guys...you are torturing me here!” Denise whined.
“Come on. Decide woman. Decide.” AJ said.
“Fan wise....Nick’s.” Denise replied.
“I knew it! I knew it!” AJ said.
“What was it about Nick’s? The serenade thing?” Howie asked.
“It’s always the serenade guys.” Nick laughed.
“Is it because you were looking at him all the time?” Brian joked.
“Nope. Not at all.” She laughed as Nick lifted his arm up for Denise to hold and have her sit on the floor with him.
“It was always going to be Nick wasn’t it?” AJ asked.
“Nope, seriously and I mean it. Professionally, Howie’s was awesome. Yours was a close second.” Denise replied.
“Cool, no worries. So what ya wanna do?” Brian said changing subject.
“We hit the other side of the building and make some noise?” Nick asked.
“Oh yeah. Big time...you are so gonna love this new track.” Brian replied then turning to Denise.
“Well let’s go and make some noise then.” Denise said as they all got up and went to the other side of the building into the music studio.

Nick and Denise got home around 10pm after having dinner with Bec and AJ at their place. “I got a phone call today.” Denise said as they were relaxing on the couch, Nick channel surfing.
“Oh wow a phone call.” Nick joked sounding exciting.
“Ha ha, funny. Nah, it was a chick from People magazine wanting to do an interview on us. About my life, how I met you, how I got here and all that.” Denise replied throwing a cushion at him.
“And what you say?” Nick asked.
“I said I would get back to them. I didn’t know what to do.” Denise replied.
“It’s up to you. You know I will go along with whatever you want to do.” Nick told her.
“I just don’t know if I want to do everything of what they want in the interview.” Denise said.
“I’ve learnt that no matter what, eventually somewhere along the line, someone will come out and mention something. If someone wants the inside scoop on things, they will go to any lengths to get it. They have their ways and means.” Nick explained to her.
“If you were in my situation, what would you do?” Denise asked.
“You know I don’t do those ‘if you were in my situation’ things.” Nick replied.
“Please Nick.” Denise begged.
“Given the situation of things back home for you, I would mention it but not everything. I’d get your agent to get some contract lined up stipulating that certain things be off limits and if leaked, they can be prosecuted. If you want to, that is.” Nick told her.
“I want to, but I don’t want to.” Denise sighed.
“Do whatever you want to do. You are going to be the one doing this.” Nick said, a hand going on her lap.

All night, Denise tossed and turned wondering what to do. In the end, she decided to go along with it, with the suggestions Nick made. In the morning she called Holly back and she and Nick would do the interview the following weekend, when Nick would be home.

Before calling it a night around midnight, Denise’s phone rang. “I so wish I could turn off my phone.” She whined answering the phone, Nick yawning.
“Hello.” Denise answered.
“Denise, it’s Mark in Sydney at the 7 newsroom. I know you aren’t meant to be on call tonight but I can’t raise anyone else. We need you to go to New York. We’ve got a chartered flight waiting for you as soon as you can. A car is on its way to pick you up now.” Mark the night time producer said.
“What’s in New York?’ Denise asked.
“Turn on NBC.” Mark replied.
“Nick, turn on NBC.” Denise told Nick. He grabbed the remote, turned it on and saw CNN but went to NBC.
“Holy crap!” Nick shrieked as Denise stood next to Nick. On the news were reports of an Australian actor dying in a shooting rampage in Times Square.
“It’s not him is it? It’s not...” Denise said shocked.
“Yes it is. We need you to go there and report. I’ll call the radio station and let them know you will be reporting on this as well for them.” Mark informed her. Soon as Mark got off the phone, Denise ran upstairs and began to pack a bag. Ten minutes later Denise was out the door.