- Text Size +
In New York near the subway, Denise was being connected to Sydney by link up. She was reporting on the death of a actor Liam Bell who was in Times Square when a gunman went on a shooting rampage, killing many people. Liam, a popular Australian actor, Denise knew personally after interviewing him several times when she was working.

“Denise, what reports are you hearing in regards to Liam?” Melissa the host of the TV show asked when Denise was on air.
“Melissa, I just want to say that while Australia is in shock about Liam, I am even more. Liam’s been a wonderful friend to me. As you would know, I’ve interviewed him many times and we formed a friendship. I feel honoured to have been apart of his life and doing this and my thoughts go out to his parents Julie and Harold, his brother Glen and his sister Beth. From what I am being told, Liam had just stepped out of the subway, behind me here, walked out into Times Square to go to the MTV studios where Nelson Aspen who is standing by now with reports. Liam was just walking with his manager Scott Harrison and the gunman appeared. Nelson, do you have any more?” Denise informed.
“I do Denise, from eyewitness accounts, and we are saying eyewitness accounts, we aren’t confirming or denying at this stage, when the shots were fired, Liam went in front of people to shield them. When the unknown gunman recognised Liam, Liam was tragically next in line.” Nelson continued.
“Wow, ah Denise, obviously the mood would be quite eerie?” Melissa asked.
“Eerie is the word. I landed in New York about an hour ago. Even arriving at the airport, it was eerie. I’ve been in cities when someone popular has died and this is really at the top of the list. New York is so quiet.” Denise replied.
“I would say it’s something similar to when Heath Ledger died.” Nelson came in.
“Nelson, Liam was in New York for his movie Freaks of Nature. You were at the premiere last night your time. What was the movie like?” Melissa asked.
“It is fantastic. I actually had a few moments with Liam on the red carpet for you and we are just at the moment working on that now to show.” Nelson reported.
“In fact Nelson, we have it now, let’s go and watch it.” Melissa said. While they were off air, Denise collected her thoughts.

“Denise, what are the police doing now?” Melissa asked.
“Right now, police have closed Times Square off, redirecting traffic. They are also naturally interviewing witnesses, taking photos, fingerprints, sniffer dogs are around. I will be staying here for the day here in New York and will let you know of any updates as they come to hand.” Denise replied. Nelson continued on with the report, going through Liam’s career both in the United States and home in Australia. After the cross to Sydney, Nelson and Denise met up, catching up and collaborating stories for channel 7 in Australia.

“Hard for you isn’t it?” Nelson asked as they waited for their meal at John’s Pizzeria on West 44th Street.
“Yeah, Liam and I got to know each other pretty well. We watched each of our career’s blossom and all.” Denise replied.
“This is what happens when you are in the entertainment industry. You become close to many people and when you have to be the one to tell the world something tragic happens, it’s hard to set aside your feelings from reporting. You want to be all personal and all but you have to be professional at the time. It doesn’t get easier, it gets harder.” Nelson told her.
“Thanks. That’s all I wanted to hear.” Denise laughed.
“Just telling you the truth.” He said.
“That’s what you don’t hear a lot of in this business. The truth.” Denise answered.
“It’s up to the real reporters to tell the truth. You would have no idea how many people aren’t telling the truth.” Nelson said.
“I can believe that for sure. Personally and professionally.” Denise replied.
“How so?” Nelson asked.
“Oh, just everyone wanting to know the truth about my and relationship with Nick. Actually yesterday we agreed to do an interview with People magazine. Set the record straight on things.” Denise replied.
“I don’t know if you would be interested and this is just an idea I just came up with but what about one for Australia? Your home?” Nelson asked.
“You know, I never thought about that. I haven’t had a chance to think like that at all. It’s been a whirlwind since I arrived here a few months ago.” Denise replied.
“Just you on your own.” Nelson added.
“That would be good. Only you though. For Australia.” Denise agreed.
“Good. We’ll organise things for a couple of weeks alright.” Nelson suggested.

That weekend, Nick and Denise were being interviewed with People magazine. Denise didn’t have time to think about anything for the interview. Her agent organised everything with contracts. Denise was so involved with the death of Liam and covering the bushfires were. Nick and the guys were busy that the interview had to be at the studio.

Sitting down in one of the meeting rooms, Nick and Denise began the interview.
“Well the first question will obviously have to be, how did you two meet?” Jessica, the interviewer asked.
“I actually was at a Backstreet Boys concert. Been a diehard fan from way back. Work had sent me to the press conference just before the sound check and when Nick realised it was me at sound check he somehow, don’t ask me, gave me an indication to hold back and wait for him after the sound check had finished. I hung back and we started chatting and then it took off from there.” Denise explained.
“Nick, how did you get her attention?” Jessica asked.
“It wasn’t easy believe me. I got my bodyguard Q to ask her to stay behind. I had a quick word with him while doing sound check and that was it.” Nick replied.
“Is that how it went?” Denise asked Nick.
“You were too busy swooning at all of us.” He laughed.
“Maybe.” Denise laughed back.

“So what happened then? You would have left for the next city straight afterwards wouldn’t you?” Jessica asked.
“Practically yeah. We kept in touch and it wasn’t until actually a few months later in May, her birthday actually that we met in London.” Nick replied.
“You remember that?” Denise asked him.
“Sure do. I don’t forget these things.” Nick replied.
“Were you working in London?” Jessica asked Denise.
“Yeah. I was doing some report for something and I was at a bar having a drink and Nick came and sat next to me. I didn’t know he sneaked into town and all. He told me he was in New York.” Denise replied.
“And from there?” Jessica asked.
“We kinda hooked up more or less and started dating seriously. Because of my job as a journalist I was being sent around the world all the time and more times or not, Nick and I would see each other. It may have only been for a few hours but it was better than nothing.” Denise explained.
“How did you cope with the distance?” Jessica asked.
“We just managed to cope. For me personally it was ok as I knew she would be travelling around the world and I was too. When we had vacation time, we would spend it with each other, I was mainly flying to see her.” Nick explained.

“You had some dramas coming out to live here in the United States, is that right?” Jessica asked.
“That’s right. I had financial difficulties to raise the finances to get to the US. Then I had some personal problems within the family that had to be dealt with. Legal loopholes kept coming up for me to travel to the United States. It was a 5 year battle but I’m here now and that’s the main thing that counts.” Denise replied looking to Nick, hands on top of each other.
“Did it take it’s toll on you?” Jessica asked.
“We did have our moments, mainly when we were given the setbacks, but at the same time we were stronger and more determined than ever.” Denise replied.
“We knew we would be together but it just took a bit longer than we had both hoped but now, we couldn’t be happier.” Nick added.

“How are you handling things with your careers now?” Jessica asked.
“It’s getting there. I only have to work no later than 6pm and then I am free unless I am needed by the news station back in Australia.” Denise replied.
“How will it be when Backstreet Boys go on tour?” Jessica asked.
“We don’t know, we gotta see what happens with tour and that. Even we don’t really know ourselves. I do know a tour is being set in motion.”Nick answered.
“I guess we’ll have to wait and see.” Denise added.

“Denise, do you miss being away from your family and friends?” Jessica asked. Denise went silent for a few moments.
“We all have our moments when we are away from family and friends but if you have a dream, you are meant to go for it and that’s what I have done. Gone for it. I’m at a content part of my life and things are falling into place.” Denise replied. Nick giving her a smile.

“How are you adjusting to American life?” Jessica asked.
“Getting there. It’s been fun so far and getting even better by the day. When I first moved here, it took ages getting to know things. Sometimes I confused the guys when I said something, it was meaning the same thing but in different words.” Denise laughed.
“Driving in the beginning was so funny. She didn’t dare look at the road for the first few days. She was freaked out.” Nick laughed.
“It’s easy for you, you don’t drive yourself around in other countries.” Denise told him.
“True, true, I give you that.” Nick replied. After the interview, Denise and Nick had a few photos for the interview before it was over.

“You did brilliant.” He told her when they went back to the guys who were working on songs in the control booth.
“Thanks. It felt weird, being on the other end of the interview, being interviewed.” She replied as she shut the door.
“Survive?” AJ asked.
“With flying colours.” Nick replied giving her a squeeze.