- Text Size +
Chapter Two
Back at the table Brian was still clueless to what just happened. “If you weren’t messing around with Baylee you would have a clue to what just happened.” Nick said throwing a bread roll at Brian. “Hey, what was that for?” Brian said throwing it back but hitting Kevin instead. “Hey, watch it cuz!” Kevin picking up the roll, throwing it and missing Brian, hitting Howie on the side of the head with it. “Oooh, sorry ‘D’.” Kevin said trying to apologize. “Come on guys, cut it out.” Kristin said trying to control the guys. Just then a spoon full of mash potato came flying out of no where and hitting me in the side of the face. “THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW!!” As I stood up and yelled as a roll flew through the air and missing me. “Guys this is crazy. You’re getting all wound up and your also encouraging Baylee. Leighanne said as she grabbed Baylee and left the restaurant. “Are my two babies alright?” Kevin asked Kristin. “Yes, were both fine. But the four of you are all acting like little kids. Can’t you guys act like mature adults for once, while we’re in public?” Kristin said while holding her belly and trying to get the potato out of my hair. “Kristin, I’m okay. You don’t have to do this.” I said as the tears started. Then I got up and left.

I was sitting out front when Kevin came out to join me. “Baby, I’m sorry about that.” He said as I fell into his arms and just cried. “It’s not your fault.” I said barely in a whisper. “You did what you thought was the right thing.” He said. “Kevin, I’m just afraid this isn’t going to work.” “Why do you think that?” “Because I put too much on him to take all at once.” “If I know AJ, I know he’ll be able to handle it.” He said. “Just have faith in him.” Brain said walking over to us. “That’s the thing, I do have faith in him. I just don’t know if he has faith in himself to make this work.” I said to Brian. “I just have one more thing to say to you. If AJ is willing to work on this relationship, it’ll work out.” “So it’s now in god’s hands?” I asked. “No, it’s now in AJ’s hands.” Brian said. “Oh, Kev. If it’s okay with you, I’m going to need a ride home. Leighanne left to take Baylee home.” “Not a problem.” Kevin said. “Thanks.” Brian said heading back inside.

I sat in Kevin’s arms for a good while in silence. “Kevy, what ever happened between us? Were we happy together?” I asked looking up at him. He sat here just staring out. Then he sighed. “I think we were.” “But what really happened?” “I guess when I first meet you... I kind of took advantage of you.” I looked at him hurt for what he had just said. “What are you talking about?” He closed his eyes, and sighed big before continuing.” “Baby I was almost nineteen when I meet you. You were sixteen and still in high school.” “So what? We still dated for almost six years. I was twenty-two when we broke up.” I said. “But my mistake was taking advantage of you at a young age.” “Do you feel sorry for dating me?” “Baby, god no. You were the first girlfriend who understood me. You were also there when my father passed. The only problem was when I told my folks about you they were tickled pick that I was dating but not thrilled about your age. Jerald and Tim thought it was funny that I was dating a baby and I should grow up. But that just made me love you even more.” He said looking at me. “It was kind of like what my grandparents said.” “What was that?” “They always told me to stop acting my age and grow-up, but when I told them about you they wanted me to leave you and to find someone my age that you were to grown-up for me. Of course I didn’t listen to them because I...” I paused. “You loved me too.” “Yeah, I did.” I said looking him in his emerald green eyes. “But what happened between us?” I asked again. “I think I was getting to that age where I was ready to settle down and get married.” “And I wasn’t.” I paused again. “But why did we stay together all those years if you knew I wasn’t the one?” Kevin fell silent. “Kev?” I said as a tear fell. “Kevy?” I said again. This time he placed his hand on my cheek and wiped the tears away. “Because I couldn’t love you the way I should have loved you. I wanted you to be happy with someone other than me for the rest of you life. I pretty much took away your childhood when I asked you to join us.” I pulled back from him in total shock. “You never took away my childhood. I lost it in that plane when it crashed killing both my parents.” I said as more tears fell. “Kevin I will always treasure what we both had. You were the first person in my life to complete me body, mind and soul. I will never forget that.” I said still crying. “I know this is not something I should be saying because of Kristin and new baby. But... I still love you.” I said then whispered. “Baby girl, I still love you too. But right now you have a man waiting for you at home who also loves you.” “I do love him.” I whispered as a small grin ran across my face. “Tell me the story of how you two met.” “You know how we me.” I said. “I know, but tell me the whole story.” He asked. “I guess so.” I said as I got comfortable in his arms. “Well, I was sitting at home in Florida talking on the phone with Nick’s sister BJ when Denise knocked on the door.

(Flashback)
“Hey Denise, what can I do for you?” I said. “I need you to fly out to Arizona.” She said. “Why, what’s in Arizona?” I asked in shock. “Alex admitted himself into rehab a few weeks ago and he’s asking you to support him by visiting him.” “Why isn’t Sarah...” “She broke up with him.” She said. “Oh.” I said sitting down on the couch. “But why me?” I paused. But before Denise spoke I continued. “I guess if he really needs someone.” “Great. Here’s your ticket. You’re on the Redeye for tonight’s flight. I’ve booked you a room at the Holiday Inn.” “So I should pack for the next few months?” “That would help.” Denise and I talked for a while as I was packing before she took me to the airport. I landed in Arizona the next morning and headed to Hertz to rent a car before going to the Hotel.

Two days later I got a call from the Clinic Alex was saying at. They said I could come visit him anytime. I gathered my things and drove out to see him. While standing in the waiting room for him I was getting nervous. Then I saw him. He walked out slowly looking at the ground before looking up. When he finally looked up he saw me standing there and a huge grin ran across his face. We ran to each other and embraced in a hug. We started crying. “Hey baby.” He whispered. “Hi Alex. How are you doing?” I said then asked. “Much better now that you’re here.” We held each other a little longer before I pulled back from him. “Alex what happened? What made you decide to finally do this?” I asked. “Kevin.” He whispered. “What did Kevin do?” “He gave me an altamaidum. Either I clean up my act or get out. And, it got me thinking.” “I’m glad you’re doing this.” I said smiling as our tears fell. “How long are you staying in Arizona?” He asked. “However long it takes for you to get better.” I said placing my hand on his cheek. “You’re staying here, for me? Why?” “Alex you’re my best friend and I care about you. I want to see you better.”