- Text Size +
Chapter Four
When I finally came too, I was in a hospital bed with a breathing mask on and a heart monitor on my belly. I slowly opened my eyes. I saw Alex’s head was lying on the bed while holding my hand tightly. As I looked around the room I saw everyone was here. Brian was sitting on the windowsill, Howie was asleep sitting Indian stile, arms crossed on the floor up against the wall, Kevin was on the rocking chair sleeping with my teddy bear and Nick was stretched out on the couch. But my concern right now was the baby. I carefully looked up at the monitor as Alex wake up. “She’s doing just fine sweetie.” He whispered. I looked over at him and lifted up the mask. “Did you say we’re having a girl?” I asked in a soft whisper. “Yeah, we are.” He said smiling at me. I closed my eyes for a second as I felt a tear fall. “Alex, what happened?” “Your doctor is still trying to figure that one out.” “Why are they here?” “They needed to know what was going on with you.” He said.

For a second I thought I was hearing things when I heard someone in room was crying. “Is Nick crying?” I asked concerned for him. Alex walked over to the couch and gentle shook Nick’s arm to wake him. “Hey, Nick.” Alex whispered. Nick rolled over and wiped his eyes. “Huh?” “Ally's awake. She wants to see you.” “Oh, okay.” Nick said getting up and walking over to my bedside. “Nick what’s the matter?” I said after taking off the mask for the last time. “I-I...” “Nicky please talk to me.” That’s when he burst into a crying fit waking up the whole room. “I thought I was going to lose you! You’re my best friend, my big sister. I wouldn’t know what I would do if you were gone out of my life! What would I do if you...” “Nicky breathe. I’m still here. I’m not going anywhere.” I said grabbing his hand.

I carefully sat up and pulled him into a tight hug. “I would never leave you. I promise.” I whispered. Then he pulled back. “But what if...?” “Nicky, I’m just too hard to get rid of that easily. I said smiling. “I guess you’re right.” He said with a small grin. I looked around the room to see all the glum faces. “Hey, stop the gloomy faces. I’m going to be fine. So is the baby. All of you just go home and get some sleep. Please. Just come back in the morning all wide eyed and bushytailed.” They all nodded and started for the door. “Not you Mister.” I said grabbing Alex’s hand. “You’re staying with me.” I said as he gave me a small smile.

After they all left I carefully moved over in the bed so Alex could join me. He removed his shoes and placed his sunglasses on the table. Then he crawled in and placed his arms around my front and placed his hands on my belly, while I placed my hands on his. Then we drifted off to sleep.

Anyways, I’m taking over this part because Allison doesn’t know what’s happening so I’m going to tell it. That morning at about seven or so I was woken up to a bunch of beeps. It was starting to bug the hell out of me. When they hadn't stopped a bunch of nurses came running into the room telling me to get off the bed. I didn’t understand what was going on until I asked. “Nurse what is going on with her?” I asked in a worried tone. “I’m sorry but you’re going to have to step back or leave the room.” One of the nurses said. “But what hell is going on?” I was going to get answers one way or another. I came real close to hitting one of the nurses when she yelled for Security. That’s when a big man in a security uniform came into the room. “What seems to be the problem?” He asked while the nurses and her doctor was still working on Allison. “He’s in the way and won’t move.” The doctor said as she was putting in a breathing tube down her throat. “Sir, I think you better step out.” The security guy said to me. “I just want to know what’s going on with my girlfriend! They’re not telling me anything!” I yelled. “Just wait in the waiting area and someone will be out to talk to you when they’re done.” He said placing his hand on my arm to escort me out of the room. “Don’t touch me! I know my way out!” I said snapping at him. Then I left the room.

I called the guys and told them what happened and that I still no idea what was going on. I tried to go to her room but the security guy wouldn’t let me in to see her. So I called Marcus to help me out. As I was on the phone with Marcus, Nick came running into the waiting room looking like he hadn’t sleep in days. His clothes were all wrinkly and his hair was a mess and his eyes looked bloodshot like he had been up crying. Kevin wasn’t too far behind, looking about the same as Nick was.

Almost five minutes later Brian and Howie strolled in out of breathe. “What happened to you two?” I asked as I covered the mouthpiece on the phone. We... just... ran... up five... flights... of stairs.” Brian said as he collapsed in a near by chair. Howie just leaned up against the wall and slid down. “Why did you do that?” I asked. “We couldn’t find the right elevator.” Howie said. “Well at least you made it.” Kevin said. “Jay.” Nick finally spoke. I place my wait finger up and finished up with Marcus. “Okay Marcus, I’ll see you then in about half-hour.” Then I hung up and put the phone back in my pocket. “Yeah Nick.” I said looking over at him. “Have you heard anything about the condition she’s in?” Nick asked. “They haven’t told me shit. They also won’t even let me go in and see her!” “Is that why you were on the phone with Marcus and why she’s got security by her door?” Kevin asked. “They think I’m some thug trying to hurt her or something. I tried telling them that she’s my girlfriend and she’s carrying my baby. That’s why I called Marcus to see if he can talk to them.” I said as I sat down. “Why would they assume that she wasn’t your girlfriend?” Brian asked. I looked over at Brian. “If you were as gorgeous as she is would you date me?” I said. “Well... Ah...” “Never mind, don’t answer that. I wouldn’t date me. I sometimes scare myself. Will all these tattoos.” I said taking a seat. “Come on AJ. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Ally loves you know matter what you look like.” Kevin said. “You’re one to talk Kev! You dated her!” I said sarcastically. “What does me having dated her got to do with you?” Kevin asked. “First off you’re tall, very handsome and the ladies love you.” “AJ the ladies follow you like a lost puppy.” Howie said. “The word is ‘was’. That was when I younger.” “That’s not true Jay.” Nick finally said. I looked over at him. “What are you talking about?” “I had a little girl come up to me at McDonald’s the other day asking me about you.” “What did she want or ask?” “Well, she knew that you had been dating someone special for the last six years and she was wondering if you two were ever going to settle down and marry.” “What did you say?” I said sitting down next to him. “I just told her that when the time is right then he’ll ask her. Then she said that if he doesn’t ask her soon that she’ll just leave him for someone else. I told her that Allison would never leave him for anyone ever because she loves him too much.” Nick said as he was looking at the ground and half-smiled. “Did you mean what you said?” I asked looking at him as he just nodded his head. I sat there a moment until I figured something out. “Nick.” “Yeah Jay?” “You really care about her don’t you? I don’t mean like a big sister care I mean, care, care.” I said. “I do. I mean don’t get me wrong I know you two are involved and all and I would never, but... as long as I’ve know her I’ve always had a crush on her.” Nick started shifting in his seat. Then he told me more. “I remember when we were younger I would go into her room crying. She would let me lay with her at night to make sure I was safe from whatever was scaring me.” “How old were you two?” I asked. “Let’s see... I think it was a year after her parents died so it was in ‘Eighty-six so that would have made me six?” He said looking at me. “So that would have made her eleven.” I said.