- Text Size +
Chapter Seven
I stood with the guys for a short while, reminiscing about the past few weeks. “Don’t you think you should meet your daughter?” Brian asked. “Oh yeah. That’s a great idea.” I said laughing. The guys said that they were going to go wait in the waiting room. I headed over to the door of the baby nursery. My mom came back over and handed me a yellow gown and I placed it on before entering the nursery. Then mom picked her up and handed me the baby. “Here you go daddy.” She said as I took Yanni from her arms. While holding her I walked over to a rocking chair and sat down. “Oh my god she’s so tiny.” I said looking up at my mom. “Just watch her head and you’ll be just fine.” I looked back at my daughter and started to tear up. I was so happy. “Have you decided on a name for her?” “Yeah, I thought we’d name her Yanni.” I said while running my pointer finger over her forehead. “Alex that is a beautiful name. I’m sure Allison will love it.” She said as she headed to the door. “I’m sure she will. Oh, and thanks mom.” I said, as she just smiled at me before leaving the room.

I sat holding Yanni for a good while. I couldn’t believe how teeny she was in my arms. I was so afraid I was going to break her. While holding her I started singing some of the word to ‘Like a Child’.

If you could right the wrongs that made you cry
So would promise not to say goodbye
So I’m holding on
With a love so strong
And I can’t take a day without you by my side

Girl if I could change
If I could change you mind
Baby you could help me wipe these tears from my eyes

Chorus
Girl don’t stop
The sun from shining down on me
‘coz I can’t face another day without your smile
And if you take away the loving arms that surround me
Then I might break down and cry just like a child

I’d falling asleep for a few hours when I was woken up to someone shaking me on the shoulder. “Hey, Bone?” “Huh?” I said still asleep. “There’s someone else who would like to see you.” “Who?” I asked. “Allison. She’s asking for you.” I finally opened my eyes and focused. I saw that it was Nick. “Oh hey Nick.” I said grinning at him. “Hey.” He grinned back. “What time is it?” I asked. “Going on three-thirty in the morning.” “I’ve been asleep for almost five hours and nobody came to wake me?” “You hadn’t slept to well the last few weeks so we told the nurses not to wake you.” Nick said as I got up. “What room is she in?” I asked removing the yellow gown. “She’s down in room seven-eighteen. She’s not asleep, she up talking to Aaron, Kevin and Brian right now.” Nick said sitting down in the rocking chair. “Thanks Nick.” I said. On the walk to her room I started thinking when the best time would be to bring it up. I thought to just wait a bit longer.

I knocked before I entered. “Hi Alex.” She said with a smile. “Hey baby girl.” I said walking over to her and placing a kiss on her forehead. “I think we’ll leave you two to talk.” Kevin said to Aaron and Brian. “We’ll see you in the morning.” Brian said. “Okay, good night guys and thank Nick for finding him.” “Well he did want to see the baby before he left.” Aaron said as Allison and I smiled. “Good night” Aaron said leaving.

I walked over to her bedside and she grabbed my hand. “I’ve missed you so much.” I whispered. “I’ve missed you so much too.” She said smiling. “Alex I’m very tired can you just lie with me and you can sing me to sleep?” “I thought we needed to talk?” “We do, but can you just do this for me?” “Sure.” I said. I took off my shoes and carefully climbed into bed next to her. Then I placed my arms around her and started singing ‘No One Else Comes Close’.

When we turn out the lights
The two of us alone together
Something’s just not right
But girl you know that I would never
Ever let another’s touch, come between
The two of us
Cause no one else will ever take your place

Chorus
No one else comes close to you
No one makes me feel the way you do
You’re so special girl to me
And you’ll always be eternally
Every time I hold you near
You always say the words I love to hear
Girl with just a touch you can do so much
No one else comes close

And when I wake up to
The touch of your hand on my shoulder
You’re my dream come true
Girl you know I’ll always treasure
Every kiss and everyday
I’ll love you girl
In every way

I had started falling asleep so I have know idea if I even finished the song. But that was okay we were both happy to be in each other’s arms. That’s all that mattered right now. To just hold her close and to just touch her.

Over the next few months everything was going great. Allison was starting to feel a lot better and I was able to take Yanni home for the first time. At about noon the guys come over to discuss some up coming events. That took about two and a half-hours to maintain some agreements on some issues. It was just getting boring because we couldn’t decide on anything. “Guys, do you mind watching Yanni for a while so I can go talk with Allison?” I asked. “Yeah, sure.” Howie said. “Do you want me to drive you?” Kevin asked. “Are you sure?” “I don’t mind.” Kevin said as he got up and followed. On the drive there it was quite. It was kind of nice even though the baby slept through the night. “So how’s it feel being a father?” Kevin asked. “Not to bad. She’s a joy to have around and can you believe she sleeps all night.” I said turning to look at him. “So you’ve gotten sleep?” “No not really. I’ve been thinking a lot about things.” I said. “About Allison?” “Yeah, quit a lot really. I’m trying to decide if it’s the right time to try and ask her again.” “Why not? You’ve done a lot of changing the last few months. I’m sure she’s seen it.” “Maybe you’re right. I’m going to try.”

Once we got there I knocked on her door to let her know it was me. “Hey, baby.” She said smiling as I walked in. “Hey baby girl.” I said as I walked over to her. “Alex what’s wrong?” She asked concerned. I didn’t know what to say so I sat down next to her bed and took her hand in mine. “Alex?” “Baby... I love you.” I said looking into her eyes. “I love you too.” She said looking back. “You know I can’t live with out you.” “I know.” “Over the first few months of you being here had been hard for me. The week I brought you to the hospital was the hardest. I almost lost you that terrified me most. I was with you everyday never leaving your side. The only time I wasn’t allowed with you was when you went into surgery. I felt it was my fault because I promised you that I would never...” “Alex this isn’t your fault. You’re not to blame for any of this. I love you and I always will.” She said giving me a smile. I got up and put my hands in pockets. “I want you to come home. Yanni and I both want you to come home. The house isn’t the same with out you. The world doesn’t seem complete with out you.” I said as I took the black velvet box out of my pocket. “Baby I’m going to ask you again and this time truly mean it. Baby, will you please marry me and make me the happiest man alive?” I said then asked as I place the ring on her finger. As I looked at her I was praying real hard that she would say yes until... “No Alex.” I looked at her in disbelief. I couldn’t believe she said no again. “Why? What is it that I’m doing wrong that you won’t say yes? I have been with you everyday for months and I’ve not once gone anywhere with the guys. I am trying to fix things between us and you just keep shooting the bullet into my heart!” “Alex?” “You know what? Forget it, I give up.” I said storming out of her room.

As I was heading down the hall I walked right past Kevin who was sitting in waiting room. He spotted me and came after me. “AJ wait up!” He yelled. I didn’t want to stop because I was way to upset. Then he grabbed me by the arm and I turned and swung at him hitting him right in jaw. “Hey, thanks for hitting me and not the wall.” He said sarcastically. “Sorry man.” “What happened?” Kevin asked as he was rubbing his jaw. “She did it to me again. I can’t just keep doing this. She’s told me numerous time that she loves me but why does she keep saying no?” I said as I lay up against the wall. “Let me go see if I can talk to her.” Kevin said. “Go for it.” I said as he headed to her room.

“Knock, knock.” Kevin said. “Come on in.” She said. “Baby what’s is going on with you? Do you not want to marry AJ?” “Kevy I... I don’t know what I want.” She paused for a moment. “I’ve got a very confused and hurt guy out there who is truly in love with you and wants to just leave out of your life.” Kevin said sitting down next to me. “Kevy I love Alex and I just don’t think...” “That young man out there has been worried sick about you for months. He has done every thing in his power to make you happy. That day you were rushed to emergency he stayed by your side. He didn’t call us until he knew that you were taken care of first. He was there during the birth of your child and spent every waking hour with her telling her about you. When he thought he had lost you he was devastated. He didn’t want to go on. But he had too for the sake of the baby and finding out that you were still alive. If you weren’t pregnant and you did die. AJ wouldn’t want to go on with his life. He would rather be in heaven with you then here alone with out you in his arms. You need to think about what you’re doing to yourself everytime you tell him no. You two have been together for six and a half years now. He’s been grieving the pain of almost loosing you. He had also blamed himself for you being sick.” Kevin said looking over at her as the tears fell. “I do love him with all my heart and I want us to be happy.” “I know you love him. I know you tell him that all the time. I want to see you both happy. I know that AJ has his problems but Alex wants to be a family and marry the woman who he loves and who loves him. Baby you love him so much and I can see that you do. You need to do this. You’ve got the ring, just tell him that you’re sorry and that you should have listened to him.” He said wiping her tears. She took a deep breath and smiled. “Can you go find him so I can apologize?” “Sure.” He said as he left the room.

I was standing by the window in the hallway when Kevin came back to talk. I turned to look at him. “You have got a very special lady, who would like to talk to you, if you’ll listen to her. She also said that whatever you have to say she’ll listen.” Kevin said. I took in a deep breath and headed back. I walked back into her room. “Alex can I say something to you?” She asked. “Sure, go ahead.” I said sitting down in the chair next to her bed. “Alex, I do want to marry you. But what I think the reason I keep telling you no is not because I think you’re not ready. Baby you are more then ready to settle down with a family. I just don’t think...” “You think that once you say yes that I’ll find someone better to take your place.” I said taking her hand. “Yeah, because it’s happened before with Sarah. You had a good woman and you blew it by cheating on her.” “But I’ve got you. You’re the one now that makes my life complete and whole. Out of almost seven years of being together, I have never once thought about cheating on you. Baby you’ve turned my life around and made me the man who I am to day. I don’t think I can do this anymore. I need someone who can trust me. Someone who will believe in me. Someone who won’t think I’m out cheating on them every time I walk out the front door.” I said standing up. “But baby, I don’t think wrong of you because you have always been faithful. It’s just... hard to deal with things when you’re so used to your bad past.” She said starting to cry. “I just want to be the man you fell in love with, that’s all. I need to go.” “Where are you going?” “I just need to think things through. By myself." “Are you coming back?“ “I don’t think so." I said leaving her alone in her room.

I headed outside for a smoke and to think what I was going to do next. I love her so much, to just drop out of her life for good. She had my baby and I don’t want to be a deadbeat dad for the rest of my life. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want her to have a father and a mother. I just don’t want her growing up without a father like I did. “Damn it! What the hell am I going to do?” I yelled as the tears fell. “Alex.” Someone said. I turned to see that it was Kevin. “Hey Kev.” I said wiping my eyes. “You alright man?” “I don’t think I can do this anymore.” “So she apologized?” Kevin asked. “She did and I believe every word. I’m just starting to believe what she said is true. That I will find someone else.” I said hitting my cigarette. “Do you believe that you’ll find someone else?” “I sat there a moment to think that one through. “I don’t really know. That‘s why I left.” “Tell me you just didn’t brake up with her after six and a half years? If you truly love her and would do anything for her you can make this a happy ending for the both of you? Hell for all three of you!” “You know what, you’re right. I can’t just give up that easily.” I stomped out my smoke and went back into the hospital.

When I got back to her room I found Allison sitting by the window. Looking beautiful as ever with her hair brushing her shoulders. The way her gown shows off her legs. The way she bites her bottom lip when she’s worried. The way her tongue wets her lips. I pulled back from the door and pressed my back up against the wall. I started breathing heavily and my groin was throbbing. I needed this woman and I needed her badly. I can’t just brake up with her when she’s all I think about. If I broke up with her I’d still have to see her all the time. But not being able to hold her or touch her that would hurt the most. I closed my eyes to try and relax. Boy that won’t be that easy with her in the other room alone looking so damn fine. I looked back in the room again and saw that she was still wearing the ring. So I got up the nerve and went back in. She turned her head when she saw me walk over to her. “I thought you weren't coming back?” She asked. “I can’t just do that to you.” I said taking her hand in mine. “Baby, I’m going to ask you one last time. I’m sorry for the way I’ve treated you...” “No.” “Stop!” I said to her. “No. You’ve treated me like an angel. I’ve treated you like hell. You have no right to apologize. I do. I’m sorry for the way I’ve treated you. I love you and I’m so sorry.” She said as she just broke down and cried. “Baby, please. Let me just say what I have to say.” I started as I placed my hand on her cheek and wiped a tear with my thumb. “I want us to be a family. Yanni needs both her parents. I don’t think I can handle not ever being able to hold you or touch your... soft...skin. Oh man. Baby girl will you please, please marry me?” I asked trying to control myself. “Yes.” She whispered. “Yes Alex, I will marry you and make you the happiest man in the world.” I didn’t know what to say after that. I was in total shock. Then she leaned in and whispered into my ear. “Go close the door.” I obeyed and ran to the door. Closing it quickly. Then I went back to her and sat down.

I couldn’t keep my hands off her and she was driving me out of my frickin’ mind with her soft touches and gentle kisses. I went over the edge when she went for my ears. “I’ve missed doing this to you.” She said as she climbed on my lap. She then started leaving little kisses on my neck. “You have know idea.” I said moaning. Then she stopped. “I see someone else missed me too.” She said grinning at me as she licked her lips. I grinned back. While she sat facing me she started to unhook my belt while we were locked in a very hot and heavy kiss. I just couldn’t believe this was happening. She was turning me on in a hospital and I was letting her do this. I just didn’t care. I needed her and I needed her badly. She drove me wild and I needed to feel her. I slid my hand down the inside of her thigh and found what I wanted. She was ready for me and she knew it. She gave a low moan into my ear so I went for it. “Be gentle with me.” She whispered. “For you I promise.” I whispered back.

The next morning I woke up feeling good. Allison and I were lying on her bed. She had her head and her left arm on my chest. I had my arms wrapped around her. I didn’t want to wake her when her doctor came in to check in. “So Alex I see that my patient is now under your care.” Dr. Livingston said with a smile and tapping her belt. I looked down unaware that my buckle and jeans were still unhooked. “Oh, sorry about that.” I said pulling up the blanket. “That’s alright. She has missed you when you’re not here.” She said as she was checking her vitals. “What has she said about me?” I asked. “Just how much you mean to her and how much she loves you. I see she’s wearing your ring.” “Yeah. I came real close to leaving her until...” I paused to brush a few strands of hair out of her eyes. “I heard that Kevin talked to you.” “He a great friend.” I said. “So how are the guys doing?” She asked. “Brian and Leighanne stop by often. They brought their son Baylee by the other day.” “Oh that adorable little boy. He is so sweet.” She said. “He is. I had told them I was bringing Yanni out to see her mother so they brought him. Howie tries to visit when he can. I just haven’t seen him for a while.” “I haven’t seen Nick around for a few months. Is he okay?” “I don’t know. I haven’t seen him. I think he’s still taking this kind of hard. He and Allison grew up together.” “So this was hard for him to deal with.” Dr. Livingston said heading to the door. “Oh before I go. When she wakes, let her know that she can go home today. And if Nick wants someone to talk too.” “But aren’t you kind of...” “I’m not as old as you think Mr. Alexander James McLean!” I looked at her confused. “How do...?” “I know who you guy are. I haven’t told anybody about you guys being here.” “But why are you telling me this now?” “I’m no longer Allison’s doctor. So my lips are sealed.” “Thanks Doc. I’ll talk to Nick for you.” “Please call me Jillian or Jill. I’ll get her papers for when she’s ready.” She said walking back to the door. “Thank you Jill.”

The End
Chapter End Notes:
Tell me what you think. I love feed back from everyone.