- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading!  Here's the next part.

Chapter 22

I had been due to fly back home today as a single woman, but instead my plans were up in the air. I couldn’t just fly home and sweep this under the carpet; I’d have to stay until we’d talked things through and decided how we were going to proceed.

Obviously there would have to be compromise on both sides. Just because he was due in the studio to begin recording a new CD with his band mates, didn’t mean I was going to drop everything and come flying out here all the time. Although what exactly did I have waiting for me back home? I know I had my close circle of friends and my family, but I had no career, and I didn’t even own my own home yet. This was something I’d have to give some thought to.

I ran myself a nice deep bath and added plenty of bubbles. A long soak in the bath would help me think, it always did.

I was twenty five, coming up to twenty six and what exactly had I accomplished? Could I just pack up and move here? I didn’t have anyone to answer to, so of course I could do that, if I wanted to. What was on my list again…?

1. Fall in love
2. Own my own place
3. The skinny dipping and sex on the beach one
4. Learn a new language
5. Ride a scary roller coaster whilst eating or bungee jump or something else equally as scary
6. Road trip across the USA
7. Blow a fortune on a single night out
8. Drive a flash car way too fast (and not get caught)
9. Swim with dolphins
10. Tell my boss to shove his job up his arse

Maybe it was time to make number two a reality. If I was going to have to go to marriage guidance sessions with AJ, then it would make sense for me to live in the same country at least. It didn’t have to be forever, I could sell up once I no longer needed the place. Then maybe once we’d divorced, I’d take that road trip across America to celebrate, maybe even see some dolphins. It sounded like a plan to me!

I just had to talk to AJ about it and see what he wanted to do, so after I’d climbed out of the bath, I sent him a text.

Do you want to meet up to talk? – Steph

I put the phone back down on the bedside table whilst I dried myself and got dressed into a pair of three quarter length jeans and a t-shirt, something casual and comfy. My phone began to vibrate as I was pulling my t-shirt over my head.

You ready now? We could go get something to eat – AJ

I smiled to myself and replied.

Meet me by the elevators in ten minutes – Steph

Why is it that it’s easier to talk things over when you have something like food as a distraction?

I finished getting ready, leaving my hair damp and just applying a minimum of make-up, then grabbed my bag and was out of the room and on my way to meet AJ.

“Hi” he said when I reached him. He was looking quite nice in a pair of jeans, a white t-shirt and a baseball cap. Did I just think he looked nice? What’s wrong with me?

“Hello” I said quietly

“So, what you do fancy for breakfast?” he asked

“Oh I don’t mind, we could just go to the café here” I replied

“Or we could go to this place down the road that does the best breakfast around” he suggested

“OK, lead the way” I said and we left the cool air conditioned hotel and headed out into the bright sunshine.

“Fuck me, it’s hot out here” he said and put on his sunglasses and pulled his cap down a little further to avoid recognition.

“Such a way with words” I teased

We walked for a few minutes without really saying much, but it was a comfortable silence.

“Well here we are” he said and we stopped outside a small cafe

“And you know this place from your many trips here?” I asked curiously. I wondered how often he came here for these wild weekends with his friends. He’d probably fucked about with hundreds of girls over the years. I wondered if he’d previously done anything as stupid as we’d done, or was I a one off? I realised that I didn’t really know a lot about him, nor him me, but I supposed now was the time to change that.

“I’ve been here a few times” he replied “but I know what you’re getting at and no, this has never happened before. Usually I just end up losing a shitload of money, or if I’m lucky, I get to keep my money and take a girl to my room for the night. But that’s all it is, sex for the night”

“That makes me feel so much better!” I responded

“Come on Steph, I’m no saint. And when women are practically throwing themselves at me, what am I to do?” he smirked

“Womaniser” I called him

“Hey, that’s not fair. They know what they’re getting” he replied, a little offended I think.

“OK, you’re a man whore” I offered instead

“Can’t argue with that” he laughed

We ordered our breakfasts and I decided to go for a full English breakfast, which I was surprised to see on the menu. AJ ordered the same.

“So, how are we going to manage this?” I asked “because if you’re going to be working for the next how long?”

“I don’t know, but at least the next couple of months” he answered

“Well, what I was thinking was that I could be a bit more flexible, it’s not like I have a job tying me down. I could live over here for a while” I suggested

I could see the panic in his eyes before he spoke.

“Whoa, hold on a minute! You can’t just move in with me…” he began but I cut him off

“And why would I want to live with you? I never said anything about living with you did I?” I questioned

“No” he admitted

“No, I didn’t!” I said, trying to keep calm

“Then how do you plan on living?” he asked

“I told you, I have money. But of course you just jumped to the conclusion that I’m some kind of gold digging whore” I said

“Well not the whore part” he admitted “but you can’t blame me for being wary. I can’t begin to tell you the amount of women who’ve only been interested in me for their own gain”

“Well, I’m not one of those women” I advised

“I know” he admitted “I guess I shouldn’t just jump to conclusions, but it’s hard sometimes, y’know”

“I know and I can see where you’re coming from” I sympathised. In fact, wasn’t that one of the reasons why I hadn’t told people about my lottery win? I knew I’d suddenly get people wanting to be my friend because of my money and what I could give them.

“Thanks” he said

I decided to tell him about my lottery win. It’s not like he needed the money or anything, so I was in no danger of being used or ripped off.

“The reason I don’t need to work is because I won the lottery, I won a lot, enough to not have to work ever again” I admitted “I’ve not told anyone but my closest friends and a few members of my family, and even then, I’ve not told them how much”

“Wow!” he said

“Yeah, wow” I responded

We finished our food and talked some more, getting to know each other a bit better, finding out our likes and dislikes, etc. Now that the money issue wasn’t a problem, we could both let our guards down. He told me about how excited he was to be going back in the studio in Los Angeles and recording another Backstreet Boys album, and that they were hoping this would be their best yet. I told him I looked forward to hearing it and admitted that I was a bit of a fan, but had never been to see them live or anything like that.

“Well, next time we tour, there’ll be front row tickets waiting for you” he offered

“Thanks” I replied and smiled. He really was a nice guy underneath the surface.

“So, I guess you’ll be needing to find a place to live in LA then” he said

“Guess so” I replied “although I have no idea where to start”

“Well, lucky for you that I do” he responded with a smile.

LA here I come!