- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's taken so long to update, so here's a longer chapter to make up for it :)
Chapter 32



In the heat of the moment the night before, we’d forgotten all about contraception, there just wasn’t time to think about things like that. Our need for one another was just too great.



I was going to have to make a detour to the pharmacy on my way home to get the morning after pill. Better to be safe than sorry, as having a baby wasn’t something I planned on doing anytime soon and I’m sure the same applied to AJ.



“See you later?” AJ asked as we kissed goodbye in the hallway. He was running late for work and I would also be late if I didn’t get a move on.



“Uh huh” I murmured as his lips brushed against mine and his hand caressed my back softly.



“I’ll take that as a yes then, I’ll give you a call after you get out of work” he said and we walked out of the house, got into our separate cars and then headed off in opposite directions.



I drove to the pharmacy thinking to myself that I must go on the pill. That way we wouldn’t have to worry about acting on impulse. I smiled to myself as I remembered last night, it really had been incredible. Sex with AJ just got better and better.



Having bought the emergency contraceptive - which by the way was kind of embarrassing, having to answer a load of questions before they’d hand over the damn packet – I couldn’t wait to get home and take it.



“Hmm…95% effective in the first twenty four hours…side effects include nausea…” I said as I scanned over the directions for usage. There was only one pill, so I poured a glass of water and swallowed the pill, then discarded of the wrapper. There, all done!



I didn’t really have time for breakfast, so after showering and getting dressed for work, I just grabbed a bagel on my way out of the door and ate it on the go.



I’d been in work for only a couple of hours when I began to feel nauseous and dizzy, not a nice feeling at all. I’d not felt this unwell in years.



“Hey Steph, are you OK?” asked Lisa looking over at me with concern



“I’ll be alright, just feeling a bit dizzy that’s all” I replied and gave her a weak smile. I really didn’t know her well enough yet to divulge the reason for my sudden sickness, taking the morning after pill wasn’t something you wanted to broadcast to the world.



“You sure? You’ve gone really pale…well…paler than normal” she persisted



“Actually, I don’t feel so good” I replied and sprinted towards the toilets, only just getting there in time.



What the hell!



I really hadn’t expected the emergency contraception to have such an effect. I felt like shit.



After flushing the toilet and then splashing cold water all over my face, I slumped against the tiles feeling like crap. I really didn’t have the energy to put on my happy face for the customers, all I wanted to do was go home and crawl into bed and sleep it off.



“Oh god, you look awful” Ronan said when I emerged “you’d better go home and get yourself better”



“I’m so sorry to let you down like this” I apologised. I knew it had to look bad going home sick on my second day in the job, but there was nothing I could do; I really did feel like shit.



“Don’t worry about it Steph, these things happen and you’re no use here when you’re not well” he admitted “I’ll give you a call tomorrow and see how you are”



“Thanks” I replied and got my bag from the office and made my way home.



Once inside my house, I kicked off my shoes and dragged myself up the stairs, where I then flung myself into bed and pulled the duvet over me. I fell asleep almost immediately.



I was woken by my phone vibrating in my pocket some time later. I’d not switched the sound back on after leaving work.



“Hello” I answered groggily, wondering what time it was



“Steph?” queried AJ on the other end “that you?”



“Oh hi, sorry I was just asleep” I replied and stretched out in my bed, noting that I felt a little better than I had earlier.



“Asleep?” he asked “did I wear you out last night baby?”



“Haha Alex, I can handle whatever you’ve got and you know it! No, it’s not that, I really don’t feel too good” I told him



“Aw babe, what’s wrong?” he asked, his voice changing from playful to concerned.



“Think it was that damn emergency contraceptive pill I took earlier, it said on the packet that nausea was a side effect” I explained “so I think we’ll have to cancel tonight”



“I could still come over” he suggested



“No really, I’d prefer to just suffer on my own” I insisted. I really didn’t want him to see me looking like this; I must look horrible because I sure felt it.



“Are you sure? I don’t mind coming over” he persisted



“AJ, I appreciate your concern but I’d be no company at all” I told him and we chatted for a couple more minutes and then hung up.



I still felt weak and a bit wobbly, but I got out of bed and made myself something to eat, then curled up on the sofa and watched some old movie which was on TV.



The following morning I felt great, thank god! I called Ronan to let him know I’d be in work later and then gave AJ a quick call.



“Hey Steph” he answered after a couple of rings “feeling better?”



“I’m fine now” I answered and couldn’t help but notice the sound of music in the background “where are you?”



“Oh, I’m at the studio” he replied and I realised I’d never heard him sing. I mean obviously I’d heard him on the radio, TV and CDs, but I’d never actually heard him sing in person. I wondered if I ever would. I knew I’d like to.



“I’d love to hear you sing” I blurted out without really thinking of what I was saying.



“Well then, I’ll have to do something about that” he said and I could tell he was smiling “so do you want to do something tonight?”



“Hmm, I think I could be persuaded to do something with you tonight” I giggled



“And there was me thinking of a nice romantic meal somewhere…candles, wine, good food…and all you want is my body” he said and laughed



“What can I say, you have a nice body” I answered teasingly “but have it your way, we’ll go out for a meal”



“What time shall I pick you up? About eight?” he asked



“Perfect” I replied “see you later”



I smiled to myself after we’d ended the call. I couldn’t wait to see him again.



~*~



“Feeling better?” Ronan asked when I breezed in to the coffee shop a little while later.



“Much” I replied “I think it was just a twenty four hour thing”



I put my bag in the office and got straight to work, determined to make up for the fact that I’d gone home early the day before. I really didn’t want to leave a bad impression on my new boss. And so, before I knew it, I’d poured my last coffee of the day, my shift was over and it was time to go home.



“See you tomorrow” I called after collecting my bag



“Enjoy the rest of your day” Lisa said



“You too” I replied and pushed the door open and stepped out into the bright Californian sunshine. I was getting used to this climate, how could I not, it was gorgeous.



I had a couple of hours before I’d have to get ready for my date, so I strolled along the pier and looked in a few of the shops on my way home and then decided to sit outside and catch a few rays.



At exactly eight o’clock, there was a knock on my front door and I felt my heart beat a little faster. I quickly checked my reflection in the hall mirror and then opened the door to see AJ standing there looking hot as hell. His eyes were drinking me in, looking at me from head to toe before finally settling on my eyes.



“You look nice tonight” he admitted



“Only nice?” I joked as I did a little twirl and showed off my new figure hugging jeans and purple halter neck top which I’d not had the chance to wear until now.



“OK, more than nice” he teased and pulled me to him and crushed his lips against mine roughly “fucking gorgeous”



We stood there in the open doorway, his hands in my hair and my arms wrapped around his waist, with our lips locked together.



“Come on Mrs McLean, we’ll be late if we don’t get a move on” he said and untangled his hands from my hair and stepped back.



“OK Mr McLean” I replied and stepped back into the house to grab my bag and keys and then closed the front door. Kind of funny how I didn’t mind him calling me Mrs McLean now, in fact, it was sort of cute. Only a few weeks ago, it would’ve pissed me right off!



It was another warm evening so the roof was down on AJ’s black Mercedes as we made our way to the restaurant. My hair swirled around softly in the breeze and I decided to tie it back until we got there, otherwise I’d be stepping out of the car looking like I’d stuck my fingers in an electric socket!



“I hope you like Italian” he looked across at me and then back to the road



“Love it” I replied



“Good” he smiled “we’ll be there soon”



We drove along the coastal road; the sound of the ocean was like music to our ears as the waves lapped up onto the sand. I decided that whenever I moved away from here, I’d have to live somewhere where I could be near the sea side. I loved walking along the beach whenever I felt like it. It was such a relaxing thing to do.



We arrived at the authentic looking Italian restaurant and were shown to our table by a waitress who obviously knew who AJ was, judging by the way she stuck her chest out and batted her eyelashes at him. Couldn’t she see he was with someone?



“Can I get you a drink whilst you decide what to order?” she asked but didn’t really look my way



“What would you like Steph?” AJ asked me



“Just a coke please” I replied and AJ told her to make it two cokes and then we picked up our menus.



“She was a little obvious” I stated



“I didn’t notice” he replied



“Oh come on, how could you not notice?” I questioned



“After years of that kind of attention, you become immune to it” he answered



“Do you ever get tempted?” I asked and knew that he must, he was a man after all and most men wouldn’t turn down sex if it was offered to them on a plate.



“I used to. Back in the early days I did a lot of things I’m not so proud of, including sleeping with way too many girls. But listen Steph, I’m not that guy anymore, he’s long gone” AJ clarified “I’m a one woman kind of guy these days!”



“I’m glad to hear that” I retorted



We were interrupted then by the waitress bringing our drinks.



“Are you ready to order?” she smiled brightly



“Could we have a couple more minutes?” I asked and she smiled again and walked away.



We looked at the menu and it all looked so good, it was hard to decide, but I eventually settled on garlic mushrooms to start and lasagne as the main course. AJ ordered calamari and steak diane.



“Urgh, isn’t that octopus or something?” I asked



“Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it” he grinned across the table at me



“No thank you” I replied.



We chatted about food for a few minutes, what we liked, what we didn’t like to eat and then before we knew it, our starter had arrived.



“You sure you don’t want a bit?” he asked offering me a fork of calamari.



“Perfectly sure” I replied and stabbed my fork into my mushrooms.



The main course was brought out shortly after our starter plates had been cleared away, and I had to admit, that steak did look good and I’m sure it tasted good if AJ’s “mmm’s” were anything to go by. I enjoyed my lasagne though.



After finishing our meal, and paying the bill, we left the restaurant hand in hand.



“I’m gonna take you somewhere fun now” he said and I wondered if that place would happen to be his bedroom. Gutter brain!



“And where would that be?” I asked flirtily



“Probably not the place you’re thinking of” he smirked and I slapped his arm



“Arsehole” I said and he just laughed



“Come on, it’ll be fun…I promise” he said and wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I put my hand in his back pocket.



We ended up at Santa Monica pier, at the fun fair.



“Aw, wac-a-mole…I’ve not played that in years” I squealed excitedly, like a child in a sweet shop.



“Alright then, let’s play it” AJ said and we did. We played for ages, not just wac-a-mole but other games too, winning tokens which we traded in for a cuddly toy when we were done.



We strolled around happily, in our own little world, holding hands and eating ice cream, whilst all around us was the usual hustle and bustle you get at the fun fair. Although the night was dark, everything was lit up with brightly coloured lights, casting multi-coloured rainbows over the entire area.



“Y’know, this kind of reminds me of one of the fun fairs I used to go to back home” I said wistfully, remembering outings to the fair with friends in the past.



“You miss home don’t you?” AJ asked, stopping us in our tracks and looking deep into my eyes.



“Yes” I simply answered. It was the truth. Although Los Angeles was an amazing place, it would never be home to me. Maybe if I lived there long enough I’d come to change my mind, but I doubted it.



“Aw baby, I’m so sorry for everything…” he began but I stopped him.



“AJ, this isn’t your fault, so stop apologising” I told him, and then reached up and kissed him, he tasted like mint choc chip ice cream.



“I know, but you’re the one who’s given up everything in coming here” he said after we’d kissed “but I’m glad you’re here, with me”



“Me too” I replied and he tilted my face up towards his and kissed me again.



“I think we’d better stop before I have to drag you off somewhere more private” he said, his voice all husky and lust filled.



“Please drag me away” I teased



“Oh baby, your wish will be my command…later” he grinned “we can’t come to the fun fair without going on the bumper cars”



“Alex” I chastised him “you are a big tease”



“I know” he admitted and grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the bumper cars.



We finished with a romantic ride on the Ferris wheel, kissing high up in the air, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it really was beautiful.



“Right then Mrs McLean, I think I have a wish to grant!” he exclaimed and we ran to the car giggling like a couple of teenagers.
 
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoy, please let me know!  Also, I have no idea why there are all those spaces between, weird!