- Text Size +

Chapter 4 

The sun came up on Sunday morning, yet I don’t think I’d managed to sleep at all.  After that phone call to the lottery to confirm my win, I was more than a little dazed, I was in total shock!  Apparently, I was the only winner, claiming a prize of £9,238,129.73.  It had been a rollover week.  When I’d been told the amount, I think I nearly fainted, the woman on the other end of the line kept asking if I was alright, which of course I wasn’t.  How could you feel just ‘alright’ after being told you’ve won that amount of money? 

So anyway, Sunday, and I had to double check I hadn’t dreamt it all, because that would’ve been just my luck.  But to my delight, it was all true.  I’d have to wait a couple of days for the money, but that was fine by me.  I’d also told them I wanted no publicity.  That last thing I wanted was to find I suddenly had a whole bunch of friends appearing out of nowhere, I knew who my friends were and didn’t need people claiming to be my friend now that I’d come into money.  Talking of friends, what would I tell them?  How would they feel about my enormous win?  Of course, I knew they’d be pleased for me, and I knew I wanted to do something for them, but what?  I decided to wait until I had the money, it would feel real then. 

The rest of the day passed by in a blur of daydreams.  I was imagining what I could do with the money.  I knew one thing for sure, another item on my list was about to be ticked off! 

Monday morning, I leisurely got dressed for work and strolled in half an hour late (something I’d always wanted to do, but never had the guts to). 

“What time do you call this?” asked my boss, Mike.  He knew full well what time it was, he just wanted everyone’s attention. 

“9.30” I replied confidently. 

He attempted to belittle me in front of the whole office, but that was when I just began to laugh. 

“Actually Mike, I didn’t come here to work today.  I came to clear out my desk.  You can shove your job up your arse, you pathetic little man” I said, loud enough so that all my colleagues could hear. 

“But…” he began to splutter 

“But nothing.  You are nothing more than a bully and a chauvinist, I’ve had it with you” I replied, noticing a few silent approvals from colleagues who were behind Mike and therefore out of his sight. 

“But…you have to work your notice.  I won’t give you a reference” he came back with. 

“Consider this my notice” I said and raised my middle finger to him “as for the reference, as if I’d rely on anything YOU write to get me another job!” 

There were a couple of sniggers from my colleagues and Mike shot them a warning look.  They quickly turned and got back on with their work. 

“Well, I guess this is goodbye” I said and waved to the few people I actually bothered with in work, then I walked out the door with my head held high.  I felt so good; to finally tell that man what I thought of him was almost as good as the lottery win.  But not quite! 

I went home and pulled out my list, crossing off number 10 with a big smile on my face.  Two down, eight to go!

 

 

1.   Fall in love

2.   Own my own place

3.   The skinny dipping and sex on the beach one

4.   Learn a new language

5.   Ride a scary roller coaster whilst eating or bungee jump or something else equally as scary

6.   Road trip across the USA

7.   Blow a fortune on a single night out

8.   Drive a flash car way too fast (and not get caught)

9.   Swim with dolphins

10. Tell my boss to shove his job up his arse