- Text Size +

Chapter 6 

The plane touched down in Las Vegas in the early evening, after a brief stop and change of plane in Chicago.  Despite the long flight, we suddenly felt energized and excited.  What would Vegas really be like?  Would it be like how it was portrayed on screen?  We’d soon find out! 

We collected our bags from the baggage claim area, and then made our way to the passport control, it was all very formal with airport staff wearing guns around their waists, it was something we just didn’t see back home and I found it kind of scary.  But we soon got through and were wished a pleasant stay. 

“Come on, let’s go and find our car” I said, leading the way through the airport, which was lined with slot machines. 

We walked out of the cool air conditioned airport into what felt like a furnace, the heat seemed a bit unreal after the temperature indoors, but I guess this was the Nevada desert; of course it was going to be hot. 

I was so glad the car hire place had talked me out of hiring a convertible, there was just no way we could’ve handled driving around in the heat, although it was a shame as I’d always fancied one of those.  Remember youre a lottery winner Steph, you can buy one when you get home!   Instead we had a Dodge Durango, which was going a bit over the top really considering it held up to eight passengers and there were only four of us.  But I was thinking of possible shopping trips, we’d need plenty of space for our bags of course!   

I’d never been more grateful for air conditioning than I was on the drive to the hotel, and also the inclusion of a satnav, I would’ve been lost without that too. 

Driving down the Las Vegas strip was like stepping into a dream, bright lights and hustle and bustle on either side and stretching for what seemed like miles, it was a sight that would take some getting used to.  We were all just completely blown away. 

“Oh my fucking god” I said, coming to a stop when I realized we’d reached our destination “this place can’t be real, it just can’t be!” 

My friends uttered similar words to mine, their mouths hanging open in sheer amazement at the site before our eyes. 

We drove up the tree lined driveway and passed the lake, yes, a lake in front of the hotel, with huge beautiful fountains spurting water high into the sky.  It was better than any movie could portray it.  I found the car park and we unloaded our belongings and made our way to the reception, looking around in total awe the whole time. 

“I reckon all the rich and famous stay here” said Jess “just look at it, it’s fabulous” 

“I know” said Izzy “this must be costing you an absolute fortune Steph”

 “We’re worth it.  Now I don’t want to hear another word about the cost, let’s just enjoy ourselves OK” I said.  This was my treat and I didn’t want them to feel bad about me paying, after all, I could afford it. 

“Holy fuck” said Chloe as we walked inside the building “this place is fucking unreal” 

“Wow” was all Izzy could say at that moment. 

I walked to the reception and checked us in, noticing the looks on my friend’s faces when the girl behind the desk mentioned ‘penthouse suite’. 

“Here are your card keys Miss Mahoney, I trust that everything will be to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to ask if you require anything at all, and please enjoy your stay at The Bellagio” said the receptionist with a warm smile. 

“Thanks” I said, taking the keys from her and turning to my friends. 

“Friggin hell Steph, the penthouse suite?  Oh my god!” Jess squealed and we all jumped up and down with our arms around each other.  

The elevator could only be accessed by using a swipe card, we felt so important!   

“Wow, even the elevators are posh” I said as we stepped inside. 

We were soon opening the door to our suite and nothing could’ve prepared us for the sheer luxury of it.  I compared it to the best hotel I’d ever stayed in before, times by a thousand.  That’s how impressive it was. 

“I feel like a movie star” said Izzy, spinning around with her arms out. 

“This is just beyond awesome” said Jess, glancing around the main room. 

“Come on, let’s look around” I said and we left our bags on the floor and ran through the suite like children let loose in a sweet shop. 

It had everything and more than we could’ve possibly dreamt of.  I’d never expected it to be like this.  I mean, yes, I’d expected it to be nice, but this…wow!  I was lost for words. 

“This is going to be the best holiday ever” I said as we sprawled out over the comfortable furniture in the living area.