- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story got renamed after a new twist revealed itself in my writing. Enjoy!
I sighed loudly as I walked across the parking after work. It was hot outside, as it usually was in the summer. The sun blared down on my car, blinding me as it bounced off the windows. I winced and fumbled for my keys in my purse. My feet ached with fatigue and I was ready to get home to a bubble bath and a glass of wine. I wrinkled my brow as I placed the key in the keyhole.

“Ouch!” I exclaimed as my thumb grazed across the hot metal. “Fuck!”

I groaned in aggravation as I yanked out the key and opened the door. The heat from inside my pink Volkswagen Beetle came out with a big gust in my face. I frowned as I tossed my purse into the passenger’s seat and plopped down on the driver’s side. I was already beginning to sweat and I could feel myself growing more agitated by the minute. I closed my eyes as I put the key in the ignition and wrinkled my nose at the hot air blowing from the vents. I quickly moved the vents up and pushed my hair back behind my shoulders.

“It’s hot as hell in here,” I muttered as I reached for the door handle.

I quickly shut the door and put the car in reverse, no longer that it was hotter than an oven in my car. I flipped on the radio and shook my head at the unoriginal rubbish that the radio considered to be a “hot hit.” I grimaced and made my way across the mall parking lot. It was barely past five o’clock and traffic was already starting to build on the Tampa streets. I softly sighed as I dug in my purse for my IPod Touch. I carefully drove with my knee as I hooked up the IPod Touch to the adaptor. Music filled my car and I smiled to myself in satisfaction. Nothing sounded better than cheesy pop songs of the 90’s, a generation I was all too familiar with. I suddenly felt myself grow sentimental as I sang along to Britney Spears.

Traffic slowly inched forward as I continued to listen to music. I relaxed in my seat and flipped through the mail that I had sitting in the passenger seat. Nothing but bills…the usual. I grimaced and set the envelopes back down. I was losing patience with the nonmoving traffic and my stomach was starting to grumble a little. I eyed the Taco Bell that stood less than twenty feet ahead of me.

“Take out sounds good,” I mumbled to myself.

I gripped the steering wheel and followed traffic to the Taco Bell and waited in line at the drive thru. I softly drummed my fingers against the center of the steering wheel and silently prayed for the line to move faster. My mouth was beginning to water at the thought of food. It occurred to me that skipping lunch was a bad idea. I was famished.

By the time I got home, I couldn’t wait to curl up on my couch and veg out for the evening. I sucked in a breath of dread as I visualized the dreadful three flights of stairs that lead to my apartment. I saw Mrs. Porter smiling at me from her patio table. I politely smiled back and whisked past her to avoid conversation. I was in no mood for light conversation. I wanted nothing but peace and quiet.

My wish was shattered when I heard my dog, Leo, barking loudly behind the closed door. I turned the key and opened my door to see my precious Bulldog standing at my feet with traces of paper everywhere. My mouth slowly dropped as I observed the mess that surrounded him. Leo looked at me, panting loudly and wagging his tail, completely oblivious that I was upset with him. I dumped my purse on the kitchen counter and saw that he had shredded a roll of toilet paper in the living room. I noticed the linen closet open from the corner of my eye and groaned as I looked over at Leo.

“Bad, Leo!” I said as I scooped him up in my arms and moved him over to the largest part of the mess. “This is bad! You do not do that!” I shouted as I put him down.

Leo slowly ducked under my glass coffee table and laid down with his nose between his paws. I hid my grin as I began picking up the toilet paper from the floor.

After spending nearly fifteen minutes on my hands and knees, picking up tiny shreds of paper, I gave up and pulled out the vacuum. I quickly vacuumed the traces of toilet paper from the floor. I watched Leo as he continued to pout under the table. I chuckled as I wrapped the cord back on the hook and place the vacuum back in the closet. I sighed as I kicked off my black heels at the doorway to my bedroom and went back to the kitchen. My bag of Taco Bell still sat on the counter. I scooted it toward me and frowned as I reached into the bag to find that my food had gone cold. I sighed and unwrapped my tacos and placed them on a plate. I nonchalantly shoved them into the microwave and nuked them for a minute. Leo scampered at my feet, pawing me for attention. I rolled my eyes and looked down at him as the microwave beeped loudly.

“Leo, go lay down! I’m still mad at you,” I said in a commanding tone as I opened the microwave.

I pulled the plate out of the microwave and quickly dropped it onto the counter. I yanked my hand away from the hot plate, waving it around while mumbling obscenities to myself. I stepped over to the refrigerator and grabbed a can of Coke. The living room was growing dark as the sun set outside. I carried both my Coke and my plate to the living room. I turned on a lamp and slumped down on the couch as I ate my tacos. Leo sat on the other end of the couch and watched me eat.

“So, are you happy that you ruined a perfectly good roll of toilet paper?” I asked him with a grin.

Leo placed his head on his paws and looked at me with a pitiful look in his eyes. I smiled and pet him with my foot next to his side. I giggled as he rolled over on his side, begging me to rub his belly.

“Later, I promise,” I said as I stood up and took my plate into the kitchen.

I sleepily sipped my Coke as I rinsed my plate and placed it in the dishwasher. My apartment was quiet as the evening began to settle in. I made my way into my bedroom and wandered to the bathroom. I felt a sense of relief as I started the water for my bath. Steam rose from the faucet as I plugged the drain and began sprinkling bath flakes into the water. The scene of strawberries reached my nose as I stood up to remove my clothes. I glanced myself in the mirror and frowned in disapproval as I pulled my hair back into a bun.

“Time to start using that gym membership,” I muttered as I turned on my stereo.

I lit a few candles and shut the door as I shut off the light. I carefully stepped into the tub and slowly submerged beneath the surface. I closed my eyes and laid my head against my bath pillow and sighed to myself. The water felt good against my tired muscles. A hot bath was always the solution to a long, hard day at work.

I softly hummed along to the music on the stereo and opened my eyes to the sound of my phone ringing.

“This better be important,” I muttered as I dried my hand off with the towel and picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hey, hey, hot chick!” said a male voice.

A smile slithered across my lips as I sat up straight. I knew that voice. It was all too familiar to me. A voice that I hadn’t heard in years, but sounded just the same as he always did.

“Nickolas!” I said with a smirk.

“Ha ha! What’s up?” Nick said.

I snickered to myself as I decided to answer honestly. “Currently…I’m taking a bath.”

“Whoa! You still live at the same place?” he flirted.

“Like I’d answer the door for you,” I replied with a laugh. “What are you calling me for anyway? What’s it been? Eight years?”

“About that,” he said with a chuckle. “We’re actually in Tampa.”

“We?” I asked with a curious brow.

“Me and Aaron.”

“Aw! How’s he doing?”

“Ask him yourself,” he said quickly.

I laughed to myself as I rested my elbow against the edge of the tub. I could hear the phone fumbling around between the two of them.

“Hello?” said a surprisingly tenor voice.

“Aaron?” I said excitedly. “How are you?”

“I’m doing good. I can’t believe I’m talking to you,” he said with a chuckle.

”I know! It’s been forever!”

“How long are you guys in town for?”

“Um, Nick is only here for a couple of weeks, but I’m here for the summer.”

“I hope you two were planning to come see me,” I said with a laugh.

“That would be why we’re calling you, dork.”

“Mmm I see you’re still into name calling,” I joked.

“Shut up,” he said with a laugh that lead me to believe he was embarrassed.

“So I thought,” I said with a smile. “So, when are you coming over?”

“How about tonight? Unless you’re busy,” he said quickly.

“No, tonight’s good. I’m off tomorrow anyway. It’s perfect timing.”

“Same place?”

“Yup, same place.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in an hour. I’ll try to con smart ass into coming with me.”

“I’ll be here.”

“Alright, see you then.”

“Bye,” I said sweetly and hung up the phone.

I chuckled to myself and hung the phone up. I couldn’t believe they were coming to my apartment. It had been over eight years since I’d seen either one of them. Aaron was thirteen the last time I saw him. I couldn’t wait to see them again.

I diverted my eyes over to the door and smiled at Leo who had wandered into the bathroom. He looked at me in the tub and wagged his tail.

“I know, I know. I gotta get out,” I said as I slowly stood up.

I wrapped myself in a towel and drained the water out. Leo lingered at my feet as I made my way to the bedroom to pick out some clothes. I slipped on a pair of blue jogging pants and a white tank top. My hair was still pulled back in a messy bun, but I shrugged to myself as I put on deodorant. These guys had been in my life since I was a kid. There was no point in primping up for them.

“Just three old friends catching up to lost time,” I said to Leo. “All it is,” I said as I looked myself in the mirror. “All it is.”