- Text Size +
Chapter 2.- Jessica

“Mum please… I don’t have time for this right now. I’m busy working, you know that.”
“I know, but you could at least take some time off to come visit us when your dad is sick.”
“I’ll try, okay?!”
“Fine.”

They hung up arguing as usual. Since her twin sister Jennifer died three years ago it seemed like that was all they were doing. Jess didn’t wanna go home, there were to many memories, painful memories. When Jennifer died a part of her had died too. But she needed to move on with her life, she wouldn’t survive otherwise.
But her mum didn’t see that. She still hadn’t changed a thing in Jennifer’s room and she got upset whenever someone mentioned that or the fact tht she had to move on. Jessica and Jennifer had been identical twins and Jessica hated the look in her mother’s eyes when she looked at her. It was filled with sorrow and Jessica couldn’t help to believe that her mother wanted Jennifer there instead of her. She knew she saw Jennifer. She saw her too everytime she looked in the mirror. But she had to live with that. She couldn’t help that Jennifer was the one who died, not her.

She reached for a photo standing on her desk. It was of her and Jenn outside their house. They were holding each other and smiling. They had just graduated high school and they were so happy. Tears came to her eyes.
“Oh Jenn, why did you leave me? If you only knew what’s been happening. I’m so sorry, but I have to work with the Backstreet Boys, with Nick... If I could I wouldn’t but I’ll loose my job if I don’t. Please understand that and don’t be mad at me,” she whispered to the photo.

She quickly dried her eyes as she heard a knock on the door. It was Ryan.
“Hi Jess, ready for lunch?”
“Yep, let me just get my bag and we’re out of here.” She got up and gave him a quick kiss. She didn’t want him to see that she’s been crying.
“So where do you wanna go? The usual?”
“You know it,” she said and smiled. She always went to a Chinese restaurant around the corner. She loved it and she wouldn’t eat her lunch anywhere else.
“Fine, come on then!” he said smiling back at her.
“Hey, Lisa! Tell Lindsay I’ll be back in an hour,” she said to their receptionist as she went out.
“Okay. Have a nice lunch.”
“I will.”

They walked over to the restaurant and got a good table by the window. She loved sitting there watching people walk by outside.
“So Jess, how are you feeling about all this?”
“I don’t know. I can’t stand the thought of being around him.”
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but maybe he’s changed. You don’t know what really happened back then.”
“I know exactly what happened! And I will never forgive him, ever!” Her tone borderlined hysteria, and she shut her eyes to try and calm herself down.
“Okay, easy there,I was just saying…”
“I know and I love you for wanting to help but I’m just gonna do this job and walk away. And hopefully I'll never have too see him ever again.”
For a brief moment she remembered that summer four years ago. Both she and her sister had been so happy, until they’d received the terrifying news that changed their lives forever.

“You weren’t the man I thought you were. You weren’t there when you should have. You just left” She thought and wiped away the memories. She didn’t wanna think about it. She was just gonna enjoy the lunch with Ryan. He always made her feel better. And god knew she needed some cheering up. Not only did she have to work with Nick, she had her mother nagging her too.



Nick was sitting in his hotel room in New York. They had just finished recording a new song and he was tired. It was late but he couldn’t sleep. Tomorrow they had a new meeting with Jive and they were gonna decide what song was going to be the new single.
‘I can’t believe I have to work with her. I don’t want anything to do with her or her family.’ He was mad, but he also felt the old pain burning inside him again. He found himself caught up in old memories from about four years ago.

“Hey you.”
“Hi.”
“I’ve never seen you here before.”
“That’s because I’ve never been here before,” she said and smiled. He stared into her beautiful green eyes, sparkling with laughter. She had long blonde hair and a figure any girl would die for.
“I’m Nick.” He held out his hand.
Before she had the time to answer a girl walked up beside them. He couldn’t believe his eyes. They looked exactly the same!
They saw his surprised face and giggled. “Nick, this is my twin sister, Jessica. I’m Jennifer.”
“Twins huh? Who would have guessed?” he said with a smile, holding her hand in his.

He came back from memory lane with tears in his eyes. That was their first meeting of many.
“Don’t think about her Carter. She’s not worth it,” he said to himself and wiped the tears from his eyes. He fell asleep on the couch dreaming of that summer with that girl he thought had been the one.