- Text Size +
Chapter Two

“It can’t be over,” Darcy said for the fifth time, “More Heath. We neeeeed more Heath.”

“Darce, you’ve seen the movie at least fifty times. You know that there is no more to it.” Bianca stated, shutting the TV off and taking the movie out, placing it carefully back into its case.

Darcy rolled her eyes. She wanted more of her sexy foreign man. Lots more. She had half a notion to go up to Blockbuster and rent every Heath Ledger movie that was there, but knew that her friend would never go for that.

“Let’s watch Sleepy Hollow now,” she suggested, “My sexy Johnny is in that one, although he looks better as a Pirate.”

Bianca laughed at her friend’s eagerness, remembering when she’d once gone through the same thing…with Joe Germaine, Nick Carter, Lance Bass, Josh Hartnett, and many others.

“I think that I’m going to go to sleepy land now,” she said, but pulled out the movie that Darcy wanted to watch and handed it over to her, “But if you want to watch Mr. forty year old Depp, then go for it.”

“Party pooper,” Darcy said jokingly, taking the movie from her hand and placing the DVD in the player, starting the movie immediately.

“It’s two in the morning, Darce,” Bianca muttered, “Not everyone has insomnia you know.”

Darcy stuck her tongue out at her friend, and then put her full attention on the opening scenes of the movie, hypnotized by her newest addiction. She didn’t care how old he was, he was still one hell of a man in her eyes.

“Did you know that Nick Carter is going to be in a movie called Hollow,” she asked a few minutes later out of nowhere, “We’re going to see it, even if the boy can’t act.”

“He’s a good actor,” Bianca defended the boy she didn’t even know as she slipped under her blankets and shut her eyes.

“Yeah, if were TRYING to act that bad he would be good, but it comes natural.” Darcy cracked, “Poor kid. I still love him.”

Bianca shook her head, and turned off the light next to her bed. She rolled over to block out the bright light projecting from the TV. She vowed to give Tyler the cold shoulder the next day for not calling her. She knew that he was afraid of Darcy, and he knew that Darcy was there. But Darcy could not get him through the phone, so he couldn’t use that as an excuse when he woke her up early the next morning by calling bright and early.

“I’m going to leave the TV on when it’s over, okay?” Darcy said, not really asking for permission, but rather telling her friend, “If the TV is not on, I can’t sleep. So if you wake up, don’t turn it off.”

“I know,” Bianca grumbled, already half way asleep, “We go over this every week. I know this by now, okay?”

Darcy again went back to watching the movie, and Bianca drifted off into a deep sleep. The last thoughts she had before hitting her unconscious sleeping state were of wondering if Abrianna’s family crisis was okay and what had happened. Neither girl had any way of knowing that there really had been no family emergency and that their best friend had lied to see Alex, and was now in the middle of nowhere and had just been in a really serious car accident a couple of hours before.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alex sighed in disgust and began packing up the picnic basket he had packed for him and Abrianna. He had made them hot soup, packed grapes and even made strawberry shortcake for dessert. But it was hours after she had said she would get there and there was still no sign of his girlfriend. Although the fog was still too thick to see anything, he could feel the cool mist against his skin. He picked up the basket and headed toward his Hyundai Elantra, tossing it carelessly into the back seat. He looked ahead of him and saw that the fog was beginning to finally clear. Alex walked back to under the waterfall, his and Abrianna’s special place, and picked up the blankets, throwing them into the trunk, and slamming it so hard that he could feel the car shake.

“Damn you, woman,” he yelled into the empty night air, “Why did you go and stand me up?”

Alex got into the drivers seat and jammed the key into the ignition. He was going to go home, where it was warm. There was no use waiting any longer for his girlfriend. He knew that she probably decided to go back to Bianca’s because the fog was too thick. But the least she could have done was call and let him know. Now he was really upset with her for letting him sit and wait…and wait…and wait. He looked at the waterfall one last time before flooring the accelerator and speeding off down the road. He turned his radio on full blast to a hard rock station, not caring who or what he disturbed with the obscene lyrics and earth-shaking base. Abrianna had gotten him the awesome stereo system for their one year anniversary. She knew that he loved good sound, and thought it perfect for him. He was surprised to receive it, but happy at the same time. He knew that she spoiled him, but he spoiled her right back.

Driving at high speeds down the same winding road that she had taken to get there, the trees went by in a blur. He was going so fast that he didn’t even notice the car, just fifty yards off of the road that had hit a large tree. He just kept his eyes straight ahead, passing by the accident scene, the first car to pass since it had happened. Eventually, he came out into the clearing, and sped up even more. The fog had completely lifted at that point and he could see that it was a fairly clear night with bright stars shining above him.

“We could be under the stars together,” he bitterly stated aloud.

Alex came to the end of the country road and took a sharp left, which led toward his neighborhood. He would call Abrianna in the morning and ask her what happened. If he called that night, he knew he would yell at her. He didn’t want to yell at her. They hardly ever fought, and wanted to narrow their fighting times down to nothing and live a long, happy life with her. After turning into his housing development, he took a few more turns and finally into his driveway. He turned off the ignition and pulled his keys out, tossing s. Nothing was going as planned because he’d waited until too long to bring up the occasion. Alex dug in his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box, which contained engagement ring he had bought for her. It was exactly their two and a half years. He’d planned on proposing that night. Now, it would have to wait until their next big milestone, three years. Only six months until the occasion. Three years would be more special anyways, but for some reason, he felt like it wouldn’t be. He had really been looking forward to proposing and had had it all planned out. He figured that it just wasn’t the right time, and that all things happened for a reason, including this. Alex opened the glove compartment and tossed the box inside before shutting it again and locking it up. He got out of his car and pushed the lock button on the remote three times before it beeped, letting him know that the security alarm was set. Looking up at the stars one last time for the night, Alex unlocked the front door to his house and let himself inside. Disappointment for the ruined evening overcame him, but there was nothing that he could do to change things or turn them around.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bianca awoke with a start to the sound of someone rattling around in the kitchen. She yawned and rolled over to her favorite sleeping position to try to go back to sleep for another few hours, but found after ten minutes that she was meant to be awake for the day. Groggily sitting up, she saw that Darcy was sitting on the floor entertaining herself with yet another movie. Yawning, Bianca scooted off of her bed and next to her friend feeling bad for sleeping in so late.

“What’s up?” she asked lamely.

“Nada,” Darcy replied, shutting off the TV, “You’re mom woke me up with her banging around.”

Bianca laughed, “She does kind of pay the rent,” she said, “She has a right to be up doing whatever she wants whenever she wants.”

Darcy shrugged. They were quiet for a few minutes. No doubt the same thing was on both of their minds.

“Had Abrianna called yet?” Bianca asked, finally getting out loud what they both wanted to know.

Darcy shook her head, “It’s almost noon. She said she’d call in the morning. Maybe we should call and make sure everything is okay.”

Bianca toyed with the thought in her head for a few minutes. She really was curious to find out what was going on, but didn’t want to bother her friend if it was something really bad that had happened. She figured that she’d call when she was ready to talk about it. But Bianca was worried about Abrianna.

“Let’s call,” she said, picking up her phone and dialing their friends cell number. Bianca drummed her fingers impatiently on the floor as the phone rang. She let it ring twelve times before hanging up.

“No luck?” Darcy asked.

Bianca shook her head, her curls a wild mess from the nights sleep, moving with her head motion.
“Try her house,” Darcy suggested.

Bianca shrugged and dialed their friend’s house number figuring that there was nothing to lose. After four rings, her mom answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Mrs. Jenkins. Is Abrianna there?”

There were a few moments of silence before the woman answered.

“I thought that she was at your place, Bianca,”

Bianca froze, wondering what she should say. The woman obviously knew nothing of why she was calling.

“Is everything okay there?” she asked with concern

“Yes, everything is fine,”

More silence. Bianca quickly wrote down what was being said, as she wondered what was going on herself.

“Abrianna said that there was a family emergency and left last night. She said you called to tell her that she was needed,” Bianca told her, “Nothing’s wrong?”

“No,” Mrs. Jenkins replied, “Everything is perfectly fine here.”

Bianca could since worry in the woman’s voice and felt bad for putting any stress on her. She bit her lip, wondering what to say next.

“Well, I was just wondering,” she said lamely.

“Let me know if you hear from her, alright?” Mrs. Jenkins replied, “I’m sure she’s perfectly fine, but I know I’d be the last person she would call.”

Bianca laughed and said goodbye. She felt bad for the poor lady. She obviously could sense that her daughter wasn’t too fond of her. Bianca though, could tell that Mrs. Jenkins loved her laughter a lot. A nervous feeling settled in her stomach as she wondered where Abrianna was. She was deep in thought when she was interrupted by Darcy trying to get her attention.

“What?” she asked.

“I think we’ve got a problem,” Bianca notified her before seeing fear hit Darcy’s eyes too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Abrianna awoke slowly. Her head was throbbing and she felt sick to her stomach. She squinted as a bright light blinded her, coming through the window. Reaching up, she touched the sore spot on her forehead and felt the wet stickiness of blood. Forcing her eyes to open fully, Abrianna looked around and was suddenly afraid. Where was she? Who was she? And why did she not recognize anything around her? Nothing was making sense, and she wondered what was going on. To be honest, she didn’t remember anything about anything. More fear overcame her, as she wanted to know what was going on. She sat up and felt a bit woozy, but forced herself not to lay her head back down. She felt she needed to find out whatever she could. Looking around, she noticed that she was in a car, but whose? Why was she in the drivers seat and did she even know HOW to drive? So many questions were going through her head, but she had no answers. Abrianna wished that she at least knew who she was or had some clues as to her past, but had none, and that scared her more than anything. Nothing seemed right and she felt lost, confused and without a friend in the world. Did she even have friends? A family? If she did, she wondered where they were and more importantly, who they were.

Abrianna held on tightly to the sides of the car as she stepped outside, trying to steady herself, and wondered where the door went after standing confused for a moment knowing that something was not right. A single tear formed in her eye. She wished that she could remember something,
anything, but nothing came to her. She was clueless and there was nobody around to help her. She was vulnerable to the world and with the little knowledge she had, anybody could take advantage of her and hurt her in any way that they liked. She knew that she had to get away from the car, out into the open. Maybe somebody would stop and take her some place. She hoped so. Stumbling around a little, Abrianna began making her way slowly away from the car, wandering off into the wilderness without a clue as to direction or where she headed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bianca and Darcy sat by the phone staring at it waiting for it to ring. They had refused to leave Bianca’s in case something happened and knew where to find them. Nobody had still heard from Abrianna and they were really beginning to worry. It wasn’t like her to do this. She always let them know that she was okay. But it was now almost three in the afternoon and there was still no word.

“What do you think happened?” Bianca asked, shivering a little. Was it just her, or was the room a little chilly?

Darcy grunted, “Why did she lie to us?” she asked, “This is why I trust nobody. Because it gets me nowhere to be trusting.”

Bianca rolled her eyes, “Darce, her lying to us is the least of our worries right now, dontcha thing?”

Darcy grumbled something under her breath, but Bianca could tell that her attitude was just a cover up so that nobody could see that she really was worried about Abrianna. Bianca could see right through her a lot of the time, even though her stubborn friend said that nobody could.

Just then, the phone blared, making them both jump. The girls stared at one another before Bianca dove for the phone, picking it up?

“Hello?” she breathed, breathlessly.


“Hi,” a male voice said, “Is Abrianna there?”
“No, Alex” Bianca said, her shoulders sagging at the hope she’d had of it being Abrianna disappearing, “She left late last night because of some family emergency that never really happened
.
Darcy’s eyes shot up at the sound of their friend’s boyfriend’s name and she glared at the phone for a moment before grabbing it from Bianca’s hand.

“You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you?” she spat out at him, her tone cold.

Bianca winced. If Darcy didn’t scare him off of the phone, she didn’t know what would. Alex could be a lot of help in knowing where she went off to…maybe.

“Give me back the phone,” Bianca demanded, grabbing it away from Darcy and putting it back to her ear, “Alex, do you have any clue where Abrianna would be? If you do, please tell us. We’re worried sick.”

She could hear Alex pause, as if he were afraid to speak but knew that he had to so that they had a clue as to what was going on.

“It was me who called her,” he admitted quietly.

Bianca’s eyes widened at the confession, but she didn’t yell. That would be Darcy’s job later on. For now, she had to find out what she could.

“It was our two and a half year anniversary,” he continued, “So I asked her to meet me out at our special place that I know she’s told you about.”

Bianca’s raised her eyebrows. Abrianna had never told her about any special place, and she told Alex so. She swore that she heard him breath a sigh of relief.

“She left as soon as she got off of the phone with you,” she told him.

Darcy’s eyes grew fire as she screamed into the phone, “It was foggy as fuck out and you STILL made her drive in it, you bastard.”

Bianca shushed her and went back to Alex, “I know it was a special night for you, but still…”

“What should we do,” Alex asked, his stomach forming knots at the thought of his beloved Abrianna being hurt somewhere.

“We need to go and look for her.” She said, “And we need your help since you know the way to your secret place and we obviously don’t”

“Ill be right over,” Alex promised, “Wait up for me and we’ll all go together.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Just as said, Alex arrived at Bianca’s apartment less than ten minutes later. Darcy shot him a nasty glare, but he shrugged it off as she and Bianca crawled into the back seat. He drove off in the direction of his and Abrianna’s place. At first, it was quiet, but when the glove compartment popped open and the ring box fell out, Bianca reached under the front passenger seat to get it. She opened the box and Darcy looked over and they both gasped at the sight of the gorgeous diamond ring on white gold.

“What’s this?” Bianca asked.

Alex turned around and his eyes widened, grabbing it and putting it back into the glove compartment making sure that the door shut tightly behind it, “I locked it up in there last night.” He muttered, “How did it open?”

“Answer my question,” Bianca demanded.

“As I said on the phone, it was our two and a half years. I wanted to be with her so that I could propose. It was a special occasion. God, I love her so much. I want to be with her for the rest of my life.”

Bianca smiled, and saw that Darcy had a little bit of sympathy spread across her face as well.

“Let’s hope that you’ll have plenty of chances to put that opportunity out,” she said, and saw that he tensed up at the thought of never finding his girlfriend, “Kidding. We’re going to find her,” she said with total confidence.

Alex turned off onto the long and winding road. Bianca found it to be gorgeous with all of the trees getting their fall colored leaves. She wondered just where this special place was, but didn’t have a clue and didn’t think she would find out. If there were any hints to where Abrianna was, it would be before they reached the place.

“How long out is this road?” she asked him

“About ten miles long,” he answered solemnly, looking around sharply for where Abrianna could have been.

There were a few moments of silence. Darcy and Bianca knew that he was driving extra slow so that they didn’t miss a thing. Suddenly, Darcy let out a gasp and they both looked at her expectantly.

“There’s her car,” she shrieked.

Alex did a double take and slammed on the breaks hard. He put his car in park and they all looked at it for a moment. The whole front end was almost completely gone from being smashed into the tree so hard. Bianca thought that she was going to throw up at the sight of the totaled car. All three looked at one another before Alex got out of the car and stood, looking at the Civic, afraid to go and look. Darcy got out of the back seat and then Bianca scrambled out after her.

“You go first,” Bianca pushed Alex.

“Um, no,” he said, “You girls go ahead.” He gulped, tears forming in his eyes afraid of what he might see when he looked inside.

“For the love of god,” Darcy cried out, “We’ll all go together. She needs our help and seconds count.”

They didn’t argue with her. Together, all three of them cautiously walked toward the car. When they reached the car, they looked at one another for support before looking inside to see how bad off their best friend was at the same time and gasped. Abrianna wasn’t there.