- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This AC blackout was pretty insane! Writers and readers alike kinda came to the terms that we're a bit addicted to this site, and we honestly don't give a damn and wouldn't have it any other way! :D But, during this horrific event, a fellow author was kind enough to open up her forum site and allow AC authors to post their updates on her forum and have readers leave reviews.

So, just want to take this time to thank Julie for allowing us all to raid her forum with our stories, reviews, and our bitching. If it wasn't for her opening her sanctuary to us, I think we would've been lost. :P Thanks again Jules.
The movement of someone situating themselves next to him and the sound of a door closing roused him from his sleep; causing him to become alert, yet his eyes remained closed. It didn’t remain as such for long though, because the next thing he knew, a faint beam of light blasted through his eyelids. Although the light was dim, it was enough to cause his eyes to flutter open.

“Good morning Mr. I-just-won’t-go-into-a-heavy-sleep.”

Upon hearing that voice, Nick quickly straightened himself up in his seat, trying to rid himself of his disorientation. “Oh shit.” he muttered, not being able to believe that he had actually fallen asleep.

“Water?” AJ offered, holding the bottle up. “I stuck it in the snow, so it’s nice and cold.”

“How long have I been out?” Nick yawned, trying to rub the sleep from his eyes.

“Lets just say you slept contently.” AJ laughed, “Which is all good, because you needed the sleep.”

But Nick shook his head, feeling extremely bad. He had told AJ that he wouldn’t go into a deep sleep, that he’d keep an eye on him and check up on him, wake him up every so often. “No man, I can’t believe I fucking slept like that.”

“I can. Look, you have nothing to worry about Nick. I’m fine, I mean obviously, I’m talking to you right now, and you’re fine. Like I said, you needed the rest and I’m glad you got it.”

“Well, what about you? How much sleep did you get?”

AJ shrugged, “Enough I suppose. I couldn’t really sleep, my head was fucking itching like crazy. Ever since I put that damn ointment on my head, that’s when it started itching.”

“It could mean that it’s trying to heal.” Nick suggested with a shrug.

“It could, but it was fucking driving me insane. I seriously couldn’t go to sleep without wanting to pull my hair out and scratch the hell outta my head.” AJ grumbled as he tried to scratch the surrounding area of his wound.

“How’s it feeling now?” Nick asked him as he took the cold water bottle AJ had offered him earlier.

AJ shrugged, “Although the pain is still there, along with the fucking itching, better than last night. The sleep definitely helped.”

Nick gave a small nod, twisting the cap off the water bottle and taking a long swig of the cold liquid. “What time is it anyway?”

“I don’t know…” AJ pulled out his cell phone to look at the time, “six ‘o two. And I still have no fucking reception.”

“It’s really dark out for six ‘o clock.” Nick noted as he looked out the car window; the sky looked as if the sun would not be making an appearance anytime soon, and on top of that, it was still snowing.

“Well, as much as I hate to say this, and as much as I’d hate to leave this warm car, I suppose we should start heading out.” AJ said as he opened the car door. “I’ve already packed away some of the water and snacks, so we’re good to go.”

Nick got out of the car as well, immediately wrapping his arms around his body in hopes to keep warm; the cold easily defeated the purpose of his sweater. “Is it just me or did it get colder over night?”

AJ zipped up his black leather jacket, “Well, we were in a warm car.” he replied as they began their trek out to the road.

“And this wind really isn’t helping any.” Nick grumbled, not liking the feeling of the snow being blown right in his face.

As soon as they got out to the road, they continued their long journey down the side of the road, hoping they’d come across a sign that would point them to a neighborhood, gas station, anything. “What’s the first thing… you’re gonna do… when we get back home?” Nick asked, breaking the long silence that had befallen them.

AJ shifted the bag he had been carrying that was filled with necessities, “Grab Rochelle in the tightest hug and never let her go.” he replied sullenly, thinking back to how he had missed her one call before everything had gone downhill. “I kinda feel like I let her down man.”

“What do you mean?”

AJ sighed, “When I came out of the shower, I had seen that I missed her call. Right when I was going to call her back, that’s when that bitch walked in. Instead of escorting her back out so I could make the call back to Rochelle, I decided to let her stay and tell me her sad fucking sob story. Next thing I knew, she was making moves. She had pinned down to the bed and was telling me how it was fate that I found her, that we found each other or some shit. And as much as I hate to admit it, I didn’t stop her actions immediately.”

“Dude, were you gonna actually do it with her?” Nick asked in disbelief.

“No man,” AJ quickly shook his head, “but I was distracted by her ministrations; I mean, what man wouldn’t be distracted by receiving sensual attention from any female? But Rochelle quickly came back to mind and that’s what forced me to stop her. Technically, I didn’t cheat on her, but it sure feels like I did… I never wanted to be that man again.”

“You’re not ‘that man again’ Jay.” Nick reassured, “Sure we all make mistakes and temptation is a bitch, but what makes you the better man is the fact that you even recognize the action to be wrong.”

“Yeah… it’s just the last thing I’d ever want to do is hurt my w-” AJ faltered off, realizing he was about to expose his secret to Nick, but he figured to tell him anyway. “If I tell you something man, you gotta promise me that you won’t say anything to anyone.”

Nick pretended to look around, “Dude, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there’s no one around for me to say anything to.”

AJ rolled his eyes, “You know what I mean, don’t say anything to the others when we get back to them. I was kinda planning on telling all of you guys anyway sometime during this trip. But um… Rochelle and I are married.”

Nick immediately halted. The shock of what AJ had just told him rendered him motionless for a while. “What?” he finally choked out. “Since when?”

AJ smiled, “It’s been a few weeks actually.”

“And you… the one with the biggest fucking mouth and can’t keep secrets for shit, managed to keep this a secret from us for this long?”

“Like I said, I was planning on telling you guys sometime during this trip.” AJ shrugged. “And to be real, you guys would’ve been the first to know. Not even my mother knows. Rochelle’s family doesn’t even know, well, except her father because I respectfully asked permission.”

“Holy fucking shit.” Nick gasped out, still not being able to believe the news.

“We were gonna make the announcement to our families on Christmas day. As for the public, we were just gonna announce that we’re engaged… sort of do a public proposal on my birthday.”

“So wait… the world is gonna be under the impression that you two are engaged because you’re gonna do a public proposal… but us and your guys’ families will be the only ones to know that you guys are actually married?”

AJ nodded, “Married by the court, but our big ceremony will come later, hopefully sometime next year.”

“Holy shit. I think I need to sit down.”

“It’s not that big of a shock, is it?” AJ chuckled.

“I don’t know if I’m happy or if I should feel hurt that you waited this long to tell us.”

“Oh my god, get over yourself dude.” AJ pulled the bag he hauled in front of him and opened it, “Here, have some water and a snack, it’ll lighten the load and prepare you for what I’m gonna tell you next.”

“Oh God.” Nick groaned as he grabbed a bottle of water and a stick of jerky. “What do you mean prepare me for what you’re gonna tell me next? Please tell me that your ass signed a prenup.”

“Actually, I didn’t.”

Nick’s eyes literally bulged out of his head, “Are you fucking crazy AJ?! You’re married and don’t have a prenup.”

“Marriage is a unity of two becoming one, so what’s mines is hers and what’s hers is mine. Besides, this is seriously gonna be a lifelong thing between us because I have everything set for her and my child.”

“Wait… did you just say child?”

AJ smiled even bigger and nodded, “She’s carrying my child Nick.”

Nick all of a sudden felt extremely lightheaded, “I think we need to get back to the car.”

“Shortly after we got married, she told me that she took a home pregnancy test and it came out positive. Like I said, this is gonna be a lifelong thing because I’m not gonna leave her or my child, not gonna follow the shoes of the man who helped create me.”

Nick quickly tore the cap off his water bottle and began to chug the liquid down, “I can’t believe this.”

“I’m taking it you’re not happy for me?”

“I am man, it’s just…” Nick shook his head, “It’s all so sudden, you know what I mean? What you just told me, it’s a lot to take in.”

AJ nodded, “I know, but I just feel like this is it man… I knew she was the one when I first laid my eyes on her. And to be married to her now and have a child on the way… it’s more than I could ever want, more than I could ever ask for… my own family. I intend on getting back home to my family, getting us all back home to our families, but, and god forbid, if something happens to me… I have Rochelle and my unborn child set for life. If they have to go on without me, at least they won’t have to struggle, you know?”

Nick gave a small nod, taking that moment to drink the rest of his water so he wouldn’t have to say anything. “I am happy for you AJ…” he finally said. “It’s your life man, and you know I’ll be here to support you with whatever. But congrats dude… I know you’ll make a great dad.”

AJ beamed upon hearing his younger friend tell him that, “Thanks Nick, means a lot to me to hear that. I can only hope I can be the best father that my child would want me to be.”

“And you will be.” Nick reassured, “But man, with four guys’ down, I guess it’s a shame I don’t believe in marriage, huh?”

“Marriage can be a beautiful thing Nick… I think, for some, it can just be so beautiful. No one ever really thinks beyond having a big, beautiful, outrageous wedding ceremony… they figure once the vows are spoken, that’s all there is to it. People tend to forget the whole ‘for better or for worse’ part. They say marriage isn’t for everyone, but who knows right… one day you might just wanna settle down with the papers and court finalizing your guys’ commitment to each other, you know? You’ll know when and if.”

Nick tore open the wrapping of his beef jerky stick and began to munch away at the flavorful stick of jerky, “I just don’t wanna deal with all the… technicalities of getting married.” he managed to say with his mouth full of jerky, “I mean, why do I need the court and some damn papers to know that I love the woman I’m with? I’m just glad I got myself a girl that respects my decision.”

“Wait.” AJ suddenly said, bringing them both to a halt. “I don’t mean to just cut you off, but do you hear that?”

Nick strained his ears to pick up whatever it was that AJ heard, “No man, what is it?”

“Sounds like… a car…” AJ drawled out slowly, remaining quiet to confirm his thoughts, “Holy shit Nick, it’s a fucking car!”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Nick exclaimed as AJ began to walk in the direction of where he heard the car coming. “What if it’s more of their people coming up to the lodge? What if they were told to look for us on the way up or something?”

“Shit.” AJ said curtly, knowing Nick had a point. “Well, why don’t we just hide off behind the trees and see.”

Nick nodded as they both quickly situated themselves behind some trees, anxiously awaiting the car that sounded to be approaching slowly. Nick discarded his jerky and bottle of water, “I’m hoping that I’m wrong and it’s someone that can actually help us.” he whispered.

AJ nodded, his heart pounding hard and fast at the anticipation of the oncoming car. Hopefully they’ll finally get some help for them and their friends and bring this nightmare to an end. His lips tugged into a small smile when he finally saw the car; his smile growing even bigger when he noticed that it was a patrol car.

“Halle-fucking-lujah.” AJ muttered before he stepped out from behind the trees and began to wave the car down. “HEY!”

Nick smiled as well as the car pulled off to the side, coming to a stop in front of them. They both sighed heavily upon realizing who it was behind the wheel.

“What in the blazing hell are you two doing out here?” Officer Rick asked as climbed out of his car. “It’s freaking cold out and this storm is starting to settle in, and here you two are, wandering about.”

“We decided to go for a stroll.” AJ joked. He was so happy and relieved that they had finally found some help, “You don’t know how happy we are to see you Officer Rick, we actually were on our way to look for some help.”

“What seems to be the problem?” Officer Rick questioned in concern.

“Long story short, we’re being held hostage up at the lodge. Fortunately, both Nick and I were able to escape and set out to look for some help.”

Officer Rick’s eyes widened upon hearing the situation, “How long have you guys’ been held hostage?”

“Since yesterday. Not long at all, but they’re armed. There’s about seven of them back up at the lodge, still holding our three friends hostage.”

“I figured something was wrong.” Officer Rick replied, “I have been trying to call Mr. Littrell’s cell phone since yesterday, and after my failed attempts of trying to reach him this morning, I had figured I’d just make the drive up here to make sure everything was alright. Looks like it was a damn good thing I decided to go out on a whim.”

Nick nodded in agreement, “A very damn good thing.”

“Why don’t you two hop in the back of my cruiser, I’ll get you guys warmed up and we’ll get some help for you and your friends.”

“Thank you so much.” they both sighed in relief as they climbed into the back of the patrol car.

“No problem.” Officer Rick responded with a smile, “Lets get this heater on real quick, and let me do a quick call to report this incident.” he said before he closed the door, leaving both Nick and AJ in the now heated car.

“I can’t believe we did it man!” Nick said, a full blown smile graced on his face.

AJ nodded, “Now… you can say that we’ve saved the day.”

“We saved the fucking day!” Nick cheered as he glanced at Officer Rick through the window, who was on his cell phone, reporting the incident. “Totally random, but you need to switch your phone.”

“Hmm, and why is that?” AJ asked him, his eyes closed as he tried to rest in the heat that embraced them.

“Cause Officer Rick’s cell phone works out here.”

Upon hearing that, AJ fished into his pocket for his cell phone. He looked down at it, noticing that he still had no reception, and his battery life was down to one bar. “I’m going back to Blackberry.” he grumbled as he shoved his cell phone back into his pocket.

Officer Rick opened the door to his driver side, “Alright, lets head out.” he said as he situated himself into his seat and threw the car into drive, going in the direction up towards the lodge.

“Don’t you think we should go and get backup or something?” AJ asked. “I mean, there’s seven armed people up there in the lodge.”

“Got that taken care of. I dispatched for backup and their on their way up here.”

Upon hearing that, AJ settled back into his seat, glad that this would all finally be coming to an end. The ride back up to the lodge was in silence, but both Nick and AJ found themselves lurching forward in their seats as they pulled up to the lodge.

“You two wait here.” Officer Rick said as he pulled his gun out and cocked it, climbing out of his car.

Both AJ and Nick sat there, watching as Officer Rick slowly made his way towards the front entry of the lodge. Gun ready, Officer Rick stood to the side of the door, his back pressed up against the wall. Slowly, he inched his hand out towards the doorknob and slowly turned it, finding it to be unlocked. He glanced back at AJ and Nick and gave a slight nod before he slowly pushed the door open and proceeded in, closing the door behind him.

“This is it.” Nick finally said, breaking the silence. “Any minute backup will have this place swarmed and we’ll be on our way home.”

“I can’t wait.” AJ sighed as he pulled his cell phone back out of his pocket, glad to see that he now had two bars of reception. “Finally.” he cried in triumph, punching a phone number in.

“Who are you calling?”

“My mom… I need to hear her voice right now.” AJ replied as he held his cell phone up to his ear, glad to hear it ringing on the other side.

All of a sudden, the sound of a gun going off twice rang out, rendering both Nick and AJ motionless. Finally breaking himself out of his shock, AJ quickly shoved his cell phone back into his pocket, completely forgetting that he hadn’t hung up the pending call.

Eyes wide, Nick glanced over to AJ, “What do you think happened?” he asked in a hush voice, as if scared that their tormentors would hear them.

AJ slightly shook his head, “I don’t know. Maybe Officer Rick shot one or two of them?”

Both he and Nick stared at the closed door of the lodge; waiting, hoping that Officer Rick would emerge and signal that he had them subdued and the situation under control. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the door cracked open slowly, but no one came out.

“Where the fuck is he?” Nick panicked.

Sheer terror etched across their face when they seen the familiar face of one of their tormentors make their way out towards the car, gun drawn and aimed towards them.

“Oh shit, OH SHIT!” AJ exclaimed as he reached for the door handle and tugged on it, hoping they’d be able to get out and escape once again before he got closer to the car, but the handle just jiggled; they couldn’t open their doors from the inside.

“FUCK!” Nick cried out as he too was unsuccessful with getting his door to open.

Richard approached Nick’s side of the car and trained the gun on Nick through the window. Finally, he opened the door, “Welcome back boys.” was all he said before he reached in and grabbed the collar of Nick’s shirt, wrenching him from the car.

“Get your fucking hands off him!” AJ shouted, immediately becoming protective of his younger brother.

“Well, if it isn’t the one with the wise ass mouth.” Richard said as he reached back in and pulled AJ out of the car as well. “Well, well, well… you boys’ played quite a game of ’catch me if you can’, giving us a fucking run around looking for you two. Games over assholes.” Using his gun, he whipped across Nick’s face.

Nick’s head snapped to the side from the impact. He glowered back at the man, feeling a long, fresh laceration that now ran across his cheek up to the corner of his eye. He could feel his blood surge from the new tear, but he didn’t care to wipe it.

Richard focused his attention back to AJ, “And you… you’re not so big without our guns, huh?” he asked before he quickly launched his clenched fist forward, digging it into the pit of AJ’s stomach.

Immediately, AJ doubled over in pain, trying to catch the breath that was forced out of his body. Not giving AJ time to collect himself, Richard shot out and grabbed both Nick and AJ by their shirts and shoved them towards the lodge. “You guys’ ain’t getting away this time.”

Still hunched over, AJ tried his best to walk up to the lodge. He glanced up at Nick, who had fire dancing in his eyes. “You… okay?” he coughed out, but each cough wracked his now battered abdominal area, bringing on new waves of pain.

Nick gave a curt nod, “Yeah. You?”

“Peachy.”

“Stop with the fucking chit chat!” Richard bellowed as he shoved AJ forward again, causing him to stumble over his two feet.

Nick quickly reached out to help balance his friend once more. Hesitantly, they both finally reached the entry to the lodge, not wanting to go in and see what awaited them, but the prodding gun forced them in anyway. They were expecting to see blood splattered everywhere and Officer Rick’s body laying in a crumpled heap on the floor, but they were greeted by James and Adrianna, who stood there before them.

“You guys’ had fun?” was all James’ asked, his eyes glaring fiercely back at them. “I hope so, because it all ends, right here and right fucking now.”

“Where’s our friends?” AJ blurted out. He figured since they were gonna die anyway, he’d ask where their friends are, or at least know that they’re okay and are doing better off than they would be in a few minutes.

“They should be the least of your worries right now.” Adrianna replied.

Before AJ could say anything in return, the sound of a gun being cocked behind them rendered them speechless and immobile. When they noticed both James and Adrianna were looking at someone behind them, they both slowly turned around, to find Officer Rick standing behind them, two guns aimed directly at them.