- Text Size +

The trip out to the hospital was a lengthy one, making both AJ and Nick realize that they were quite a distance away from civilization. Nick shivered slightly at the realization of it all; he and AJ probably would have never made it to get help had they continued on, for even the nearest grocery store they had gone to early yesterday morning was miles away from where they were.

That thought made something click in Nick’s head, “How do you think these guys knew?” he questioned, breaking the silence between he and AJ.

AJ broke his gaze from the window; he had busied himself in watching the flurry of snow fall around them, trying to recollect the unfortunate events that had befallen them all and actually let it settle in. He and Nick were riding in one patrol car, an ACTUAL police patrol car, while Howie and Brian rode in another. Kevin on the other hand had been rushed to the nearest hospital in the ambulance, to which they were headed now to be checked out. “Huh?”

“These SWAT and policemen and paramedics… how in the hell do you think they knew what was going on? I mean, think about it Jay, they came at the right fucking time man… I can’t help than to think, any later and we’d…” he paused, letting reality sink in, “we’d all be dead.”

AJ shook his head, not wanting to think about the negative alternative. All he knew was that they were saved and that they would be fine, that God works in mysterious ways and was definitely there watching over all of them, that help had reached them just in time, and for that he would be forever grateful. “I don’t know man. Perhaps Leighanne knew something was up when she called and that fucker answered Brian’s phone… maybe she was the one that called.”

Nick gave a small nod as he glanced out the window, “Three days… our trip was ruined in three days. I feel really bad for Brian, I mean, he worked so hard to put this trip together for us, only for it all to come to an end after three days, with some of us battered and bruised and one shot.”

AJ sighed, feeling bad as well. “Yeah, I do too… but there ain’t no way in hell I’m going back up there, not even to get my shit or my fucking car. This drive is making me realize how truly far away we were from establishments and whatnot; a perfect place to be a vulnerable victim now when you think about it. I’ll probably have someone tow my car back to my place, pay someone to gather my shit and just be done with that place. As for the trip itself, I’m all about making it up to Rok… I’ll plan the next trip, and this time I’ll get us a place right next to a fucking hospital or police station or something.”

They both chuckled bitterly, obviously not in the mood the laugh or crack jokes, but nonetheless trying to make light of this heavy situation they were faced with less than an hour ago. They both perked up a bit as the car turned and entered the emergency entrance of the nearest hospital. To their surprise, news crews had swarmed the area, being kept at bay by the local police force.

“Well,” AJ sighed, “Didn’t take long for the press to get wind of what happened.” he said as both he and Nick got out of the car. They were immediately encased by a wall of SWAT men, who tried to shield them as best as they could and quickly ushered them into the hospital.

“Could you tell us what happened?”

“Do you guys have any names of the suspects who did this?”

“Is it true that Kevin Richardson was shot?”

“Could you give us any news on the medical conditions of the five band members?”

Questions were continuously shouted out by reporters, which only fell on deaf ears. As soon as the heavy glass doors to the entrance of the emergency room slid closed, it was able to drown out the sea of questioning voices for a moment, before it carried through once more when the doors reopened. Both AJ and Nick turned around to find that it was Brian and Howie who had been ushered in as well.

“Any word?” Brian immediately asked, figuring a doctor had came out to address AJ and Nick, who had already been there longer than they have.

Nick shook his head, “We were just brought in not long before you guys.” He gestured towards the crowds of news media outside, “It’s crazy out there, huh?”

Howie nodded, “Yeah, we had to duck our heads and wait a bit for them to get us as close as they could to the entrance. News travels fast.”

A tall, older male doctor dressed in surgical scrubs emerged from the back, the large double doors opening automatically, catching the attention of the four concerned individuals.

“Is he okay?” Brian voiced out, the four of them inched closer to the doctor in hopes to hear any good news on their eldest friend.

“Is who okay?” the doctor questioned with a puzzled look.

The four of them looked at each other, “We’re here for a Kevin Richardson.”

“Oh, that man. I’m sorry to say, I’m not the doctor who is in charge of Mr. Richardson, nor am I the one who performed the emergency surgery on him, so I unfortunately have no kind of news I can give to you guys at this moment of his current condition. My name is Dr. Rummel, and I’m one of the very few trauma ER doctors here. I was immediately notified upon the arrival of you four, for I was told that two individuals needed to be looked at for head trauma.”

“That would be those two.” Howie replied as he gestured over towards Nick and AJ.

Dr. Rummel nodded as he used his elbow to hit a button on the wall, causing the large double doors to open automatically again, allowing a nurse with two wheelchairs to emerge. “You two can go ahead and have a seat on this.” he said as he grabbed a wheelchair from the female nurse and wheeled it over towards AJ, “We’ll wheel you guys on back and take a look at you from there. As for you two, is there any injuries you may have sustained that we should take a look at?”

Brian was ready to shake his head, but Howie quickly interjected, “Actually, I think he should be looked at…” Howie said as he nodded his head towards Brian, “as for me, I’m fine.”

“Would you like to be wheeled on into the back?” Dr. Rummel asked Brian with a warm smile.

Brian gave a light grin and shook his head, “No, I’m fine with walking.”

He nodded before he looked back over at Howie, “You can wait right here for now, it’s a private waiting room so you won’t be bothered by anyone. I’ll send a nurse out in a bit to check your vitals, make sure you won’t need an IV or anything. I’ll also have a nurse walk you on back here once we get them settled in rooms if they need it.” he said before they all began to make their way through the double doors.

Howie watched as Dr. Rummel pushed AJ and the nurse pushed Nick in the wheelchairs while Brian slowly sauntered behind them. He gave a small smile, thankful that they had been saved and his friends would be looked over and receive the medical attention they needed. With nothing else to do, he closed his eyes and began to pray.