- Text Size +
“Oh my god!” she screamed as she hugged him. “Can you believe this; I am now going to be touring with my work around the country!”

“That’s right you and three more talented new comers are going to every modern art gallery in the U.S.” he smiled as he saw the excitement the news had caused her. She deserve it though, when they had shown her work to possible buyers they were surprised by how many loved her work. She was able to sell quite a few of her paintings and he knew that taking her with the other new comers would help her popularity in the art world.

“Wait! I can’t do this,” she turned to the older man with worry. She was finally hit with the reality of it all. She was going to travel and be around so many people she did not know. She had just gotten accustomed to the people she met since her move to New York. Now here she was facing her fear again, why was she so afraid of meeting people she was different now. Yet there crawled her old self making her regret her new life. “NO, I can do this, I always wanted this. Have people enjoy my creations.”

“Good, we leave in a week. We start from the east coast and end at the west coast. I have already made the arrangements to go get the rest of your drawings from Florida. They will arrive here just in time for our departure.” He smiled at the young woman who looked like she was having the debate of her life amongst herself. “Oh, by the way I have a surprise for you,” he flashed a key with a mini-picture of the Mona Lisa drawing as the key chain. “Come on lets go follow me,” and with that he opened the door for her.

“Where are we going?” she asked in curiosity as she followed him. She was perplexed at the idea of not knowing where she was going. What was the mystery with the key he held in his hand?

After sitting in a cab for ten minutes he finally spoke, “It’s the key to your new home!” The cab had come to a halt in gorgeous apartment complex. “With the profit from the auction we had two weeks ago and how well your work sold; I thought you could use a place to call your own. I actually got a good deal,” he winked at her and put the key in her hand. “Now, let’s go take a look!”

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Dr. Dane he said he isn’t leaving to till you talk to him.”

“Fine let him in Rose,” she was fuming at how he could be so stubborn. She was furious yet she felt happy after three weeks of not seeing him or hearing him. She would get to see him and to be honest she had missed him. She felt a smile crawl on her face as she saw the door to her office open.

“Hey Dr. Dane, or can I say Hailey?” he walked in slowly with a cheesy grin on his face.

“Hey Alex, now I ask myself what are you doing here harassing my receptionist. I thought you understood,” she stopped her talking; she knew there was no sense in arguing.

“I know what you said but, I had to come personally and give you this,” he flashed an envelope with gold writing in the front. “It’s your invitation to my wedding Sarah and I have finally decided on a date.”

She took the envelope from his hand and read the fancy print, Hailey M. Dane and family, “thanks for the invitation Alex but, why?” she looked at him with question.

“Cause I consider you my friend and to be honest doctor you helped me realize something the last time we spoke. Do you remember?” he looked at her with gratitude in his eyes. “You are a great woman and I feel that now that there is no reason to not be friends. I am no longer your patient and I would love to consider you my friend. Besides Sarah really wants to meet you, see she doesn’t know that for the last three weeks I’ve been seeing that guy you recommended me. Dr. Bryan, he’s great you were right he did understand me and just like you he doesn’t judge me. There is also no attraction what so ever,” he laughed as he finished his sentence.

She blushed at his comment there it was again this guy making her feel things she hadn’t in a very long time. “Alex, I am happy to know how you feel about your new shrink. He once was my shrink when Sam and I had really bad marital problems. He really is a good therapist, better than me. So this means you have cleared your head and separated your feelings?” she asked curiously as she opened the envelope and skimmed through the invitation.

“Uh, well you could say that. See one thing I know for sure Sarah is the one for me. She’s been with me through the worst times in my life. I owe it to her to finally settle down with her, besides I am happy with her…” he stopped talking and looked at his hands as if there was something interesting on them.

“Well it seems like your just doing it for pressure. Like you feel like you have to honor your words to her, but the truth Alex is that you don’t. Do you love her? What I mean when I ask if you love her, I mean do you see her like when you first met her. Do you see yourself getting old with her by your side? Do you feel that she treats you like she did in the beginning and do you? Do you feel the butterflies in your stomach every time you see her smile?” she looked at him as she asked him those questions.

“I – I think I do, at least some of them. What about you? Do you feel those things still for Sam?” he asked more to annoy her and have her stop talking about his situation. He was doing the right thing right? He did love Sarah she had a special place in his heart and she was passionate toward him. That’s all that mattered right that he was grateful to her and that he did feel love for her.

She was appalled by his question, how can he ask her that? He didn’t know her and if she once shared her personal information it was to help him. How could he bring that up? “I sure do I am still married to him Alex,” she forced a smile on her face as she put the invitation down on her desk. “Alex, I am honored by the invitation and I will most definitely consider in attending. Now if you excuse me, I am in expectance of a patient any minute now.” She looked at the huge calendar on her desk.

“Look, I know I shouldn’t have asked you that and I am sorry, it’s just that you described love so beautifully that I just thought that Sam was the reason you did. Apparently I was wrong and I know that marriage is a big step but, Sarah and I are different we’ve been living together for awhile. I know she’s the right one, yeah I know sometimes there is a moment in which I see myself with a different woman. But what can I say? I am only human and imperfect. I know I have been a very flirty person and I get tempted sometimes but at the end I see Sarah’s face. I then realized that I couldn’t do her like that and that I love her to much to do it. I think that feeling alone proves to me that I am making the right decision. I am sorry for bringing up your business, I had no right.” He stood up and extended his hand out to her. “See you at my wedding, Hailey.”

She stood up and slapped his hand, “I do love Sam like that, and he is the father of my children. We have our bad moments but, at the end of the day Alex we both realize that we love each other. I can’t believe you, you trying to be so cocky! You don’t know half of what Sam and I have, how you can say that I apparently don’t feel love toward my own husband?” she glared at him seeing the amusement her response had on his face.

“Then why did you let me go?” he arched his eye as he stared her straight in the eyes. He didn’t know what it was about Dr. Dane but she was just- so interesting to him. Even if she was mad, something about her made him fonder of her. It wasn’t the same as to the feelings he had for Sarah they were deeper, but he couldn’t help to feel what he did toward this woman. “You’re a very contradicting woman, Hailey Dane.”

She had a loss of words, she didn’t have an answer. He was right; she must have seen something that she definitely hadn’t seen in Sam for quite sometime. She knew exactly what that was. “You know Alex, sometimes love can become a very systematic routine. I have been married to Sam for over twenty years now and you want to know what attracted me to him? It was his way of treating me, the way he showed me he cared, his love for kids and his smile, you know he used to smile all the time! But time and other problems get in the way and the triple rope that you thought was your marriage starts to wear out. Till it becomes really thin and worn out, but deep very deep inside you still feel those sparks for that person and you work hard to get back what you once had. But there are always those hurdles that are thrown right at you, to get you to finally call it quits. That’s where you come in Alex, you’re my hurdle and just like a pebble in a shoe you have to remove it right? That’s what I did I removed you, cause I want my marriage to work out. Cause I love Sam! I can’t deny that you’re very attractive, sexy and full of life. But, that doesn’t make you the most important part of my life!” she raised her arms in annoyance, why did she have to say all that.

That was it, that’s all it took for him to grab her by surprise and without permission kiss on her lips. It was a very different feeling to Sarah’s yet, he felt sparks inside him. He inhaled her smell after he let go of her mouth, he was in trance as he looked into her eyes. He let go of her and walked away from her, closer to the exit and turned to see her still there touching her lips. “I-I don’t know what came into me, I really am sorry. I should go now,” with that he walked out of the office not once looking back.