- Text Size +
“Tommy do you think they’ll like my work here in Orlando?” she just had to ask because she was too nervous just sitting there getting her hair done.

“Of course, I know for sure that Denise will be one of your fans, then there’s your mom which I am anxious to meet. They will love you, if not as long as Marco loves you who cares right?” he raised his brows at his comment, smiling insides as he saw Lisa laugh. Working with her was great; she wasn’t picky and was very humble. She was a gorgeous girl and he knew sooner or later they would get an offer for something else. He wanted that so bad, she needed more publicity. He was aiming in making her one of the biggest modern artist in the country; he knew she was capable of being just that.

Having Tommy around to help her get through the hectic events made her realize she wouldn’t mind doing this. Tommy was her mentor and practically presented her to everyone major or important at every gallery. He told her that doing that showed humbleness and at the same helped getting her work out to be known around the country.

Suddenly her room was filled with make-up and wardrobe people, she didn’t mind them but sometimes she thought it was too much. She saw Tommy looking at the possible clothes she would wear and with out hesitation chose a simple black dress. She wouldn’t have thought much about it but, after his explanation to her dresser about how it would make her look elegant yet not stuck up. He emphasized he wanted her to wear that and some nice black shoes. With that she saw him leave but not before smiling at her.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She checked her watch and saw that in an hour the gallery would start. She knew that Judy was already on her way and it killed her to know she was not going to go, but her son needed her.

“Mom?” he waved his hand in front of her face. With everything they had talked about he still hadn’t asked why she was in town. All he knew was all day today she kept looking at her watch; she must have something to do then. “So you never told me why you are in Orlando?” he asked as he got her attention.

She was caught of guard and didn’t know what to answer, “I was going to this art gallery show that Tommy is involved with, he called me told he would be in Orlando this weekend. He told me I would love to see some of the paintings,” she smiled at his son as she turned her face like she was looking for something.

“Great, I think we should go then,” he stood up and smiled at her mother. After all the talking they had done he wanted to do something else. An art gallery sounded good, he liked art any form.

“Its ok son, I don’t have to go besides I already called Tommy and told I wouldn’t make it,” she told him subtly hoping that he would then just let it go.

“That’s nonsense mom, I am sure Tommy would love to see you pop in. Besides I haven’t seen him a while I would love to see him. I think it will be good for both of us, I need to get out and forget about this situation for a little while at least.” He pulled his mother out of the love seat and spoke again, “so go get ready, I will do the same come on.”

“But, it’s to late the show has started,” she lied as she was being pushed by him to her room.

“Better late than never mom, come on I know how much you appreciate Tommy. I would feel very guilty if you didn’t go, because of me. No more excuses get ready,” with he walked to his room and started to change.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Oh, honey you look great,” said Judy as she hugged her daughter. To see her so happy and dressed like a girl brought tears to her eyes. Her daughter had done a complete 360 and it was for the better. Not only that, she had a gorgeous Latin man as a boyfriend.

“Thanks mom, I am actually nervous. Where’s Denise?” she asked her mother as she hugged her back.

She didn’t know what to tell her really so she just smile and drank some more champagne before answering. “She wasn’t feeling well so she sends you her apologies,” she said quickly and then turned to pretend and look at the different paintings.

“Oh, well I hope she feels better. Hey mom I’ll be right back, Tommy is calling me. If Marco gets back before I do tell him I’ll be back and please no stories to him about my childhood understand?” she looked at her mother in the eyes to emphasize she did not want her to embarrass her in front of Marco.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She got off nervously fearing of what Mona would say after seeing who came with her. She had told her about her coming but never did she say her son would too. She tried to think about what would happen, it was not like Mona hated her son. She just didn’t want to see him; she was still very embarrassed around him. What would her son say when he finds out about her and the fact that she had not told him about her. She had been lying to him about not knowing why Mona had not been answering his emails or phone calls. She was under stress she could feel it she just hoped she could get through with this night. Then something made more sense to her, “wait, Alex I think I need to tell you something first.” She paused as she told him to stop now she had his beautiful eyes staring at her.

“What mom?” he asked with concern seeing how nervous she looked. What could possibly be bothering her so much?

“Uhm, ok listen Alex I have to confess something to you. I been lying to you about something and I have a reason for it, but I can’t hide it anymore.” She sighed heavily as she told him that.

“Well then spill mom,” he said now very much interested in knowing.

“Ok, I have been lying to you about not knowing where Mona is. See after you know, she decided to move out. She moved to New York with Gilbert her friend and before leaving I offered her Tommy’s business card. She accepted it and then she asked me for a favor. That favor was for you not to know about her, she was very embarrassed of her behavior last time and did not want to see you. I didn’t know what to say but, when I saw the pain in her eyes I had too. I am so sorry son, but you have to understand,” she looked down trying to avoid his stare.

He was quiet just soaking in what his mother had told him, “Ok, so you’re telling me this because I am about to meet Tommy and you’re afraid he might tell me about meeting Lisa right?” he asked with curiosity.

“Well something like that, see what I didn’t tell you is this art gallery we are going to is a tour. Tommy is touring with some of his agency new talents and one of those is Mona…” she said calmly.

“I see, so that’s why you didn’t want me to come. I understand completely and don’t feel guilty I can leave and pick you up when the show is done. I’ll go find something to do; I don’t want to ruin her night. She deserves this you know she is very talented and if seeing me will ruin it for her I think I should not go in. You should though,” he squeezed her arm lightly and walked back to the driver’s side of his car.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She felt his hand on her back and felt more confident. “So what do you think?” she asked him as they stared at one of her paintings.

“I like it,” he said as he contemplated the drawing.

“Well this painting has a twin,” she told him as she took a drink.

“Really well I haven’t seen it, did already sell?” he asked in curiosity looking at the other paintings.

“No,” she said remembering very well who had the other painting. She had given it to him, that night. She wondered if he really had hung it in his studio. She wondered many things really; she wondered if she had kept contact with him would she be invited to the wedding? She wanted to talk to him sometimes, tell him how she felt and hear him tell her he was there for her. Sometimes she wondered why she couldn’t see him as a friend when that’s all they really ever were. She wondered if he even ever thought of her. She did as much as she wished she didn’t she did. She did miss spending time with him it was time stopped when they were together, even if it was just them talking. Those few months were the best of her life, she had to admit that. Not that Gilbert wasn’t fun, but at the moment she couldn’t think of him! Now there was Marco but he was more than a friend and so far every moment she spent with him was great.


“Then where is it?” he asked her curiously as he saw her, it seemed like she was reminiscing on her past or could it be her present. He had learned a lot about her, but she never told him much about her other best friend. Every time the subject came up she would vaguely say that he had helped get over her shyness. Yet about Gilbert she always talked about, how she was worried for his new lifestyle.

“I gave it to a friend,” she said with a tone as to tell him not to ask anymore questions. “Did my mother tell you any embarrassing stories about me while I was with Tommy?” she asked trying to divert the conversation.

“Well,” he shrugged with a smile on his face. “They were really cute stories none to have embarrassed you. Nothing can change my mind about you Lisa,” he told her as he leaned in and kissed her cheek.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Huh, Denise I thought you said you weren’t –,” she froze as she saw who accompanied her friend.

“It’s a long story Judy, I’ll explain later,” she mouthed to her friend. She didn’t quite know what she had done exactly. All she remembered is not allowing him to leave even when he willingly had offered to go. She just felt it was time for him and Mona to talk. Mona was happy and well she hoped that his son soon would be happy. She felt like this time Mona could help her son see the light in his dark tunnel. That was why she had convinced him to come in with her. He had admitted he would love to talk to her and get her say on his situation.

So here he was following his mother into the show. He didn’t know why but he was glad his mother convinced him to talk to her. The truth was he really could use his Mona Lisa’s advice. He didn’t know what to expect though remembering the words she had used that night. But, he had to try he really did need her friendship. In those few months he had really come to like her company. He missed her he couldn’t lie about that. “Hi, Judy how you been?” he asked the surprised woman that stood in front him and his mother.

“Alex, I am doing well. I heard about your wedding, early congratulations on my part son,” she smiled at the young man. As she looked into his eyes, she understood why her daughter could feel more than friendship toward him.

“Well look who decided to show up and make this even a better night!” he said as he approached Denise.

“Tommy,” she said as she recognized her friend. It was always a pleasure to see him. “Tommy do you remember my son Alex,” she asked as she gave her friend a warm hug.

“Yes of course I do, especially when you have a daughter that has a poster of him on her wall.” He said as he shook his hand, “so when will a new album come out? That way I can share that with my daughter, she’s been dying to know that,” he laughed as he said it.

He smiled at Tommy as he answered his question, “it’s in the works as we speak.” He hadn’t thought much about there coming album but, now he remembered they had a set date to go into the studio and work on it. Realizing that made him happy and knowing that there was people still waiting on them to come out and sing again made him feel a little happy. He really needed that at the moment.

“Great, I have good news for Emily then. Well Denise hope we can talk later we have a lot of catching up to do. Well ladies and gentleman please look around, see what you like,” with that he walked away and into another group of people.

Denise saw the opportunity she was waiting for and whispered into her son’s ear, “She’s over there,” she pointed.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If his mother had not shown him where she was he wouldn’t have recognized her. She was different; she was wearing a dress for one. She had beautifully layered and darkened her hair than before. He could only see her back, but only that look good he wondered how she looked from the front. He was approaching slowly toward her and the man that stood with her. After reaching his destination he didn’t know what to really say he cleared his throat only then did he catch her attention along with the man beside her. “Hi,” he managed to say as he saw her face of surprise.

Suddenly her world was in a black hole, she felt her knees weaken when she heard him say hi. She didn’t know what to say or what to think. She only looked at him with surprise; he still looked good though that hadn’t changed. “Hi,” she finally managed to say.

“Hi, I’m AJ,” he said to the man that now stared at them both with confusion.

“I’m Marco,” he extended his hand. He didn’t understand the awkwardness between him and Lisa but he could definitely see it.

“Nice to meet you Marco, I was actually wondering if I could speak with Lisa for a moment.” He stared at her as he said her name, he knew better then start off in a bad way, so he didn’t dare call her Mona Lisa.

“Will you leave us alone for a moment Marco please,” she said to him, wondering how he had found out about this. Why was he here? The truth was she was a little happy, seeing him. She watched her boyfriend leave a little confused but she knew Marco would understand once she explained everything.